Code of Conduct

Default I wanna go dark and intense. Will you be so handy and gimme a piece of advice?

I have always been a heavy user of light, rather refreshing and cool fragrances. I confess I have enjoyed the late ninities/early 2000's acquatic trend ( and I still do) with loads of Oxygene (Lanvin), Blue Label (Givenchy) and Truth (CK). Currently, as the acquatics got me bored, Bulgari Extreme for Men and Paul Smith Men have been my best friends in a city where termometers rarely go below 25ºC and humidity is always high.

But now I want to go for a change. I am really willing to try the more sophisicated, intense and thick "brown" fragrances and I wanna do it the right way. I have tried a few samples and reserched a bit, So I guess I have been able to identify a few personal patterns:
    - I love tobacco and woody notes, specially when softhened with a touch of citrus/green leaves or warmed with a slight touch of vanilla/spices.
    - the more sillage and longevity, the better
    - I love a woody and warm drydown
    - don´t like fragrances too dry or harsh

Frags I like and that I consider more intense (don't forget I am mostly acquainted with fresh light one): Allure Man, Armani Code, Bulgari Black.

Well, that is it. What would you suggest me so that I can do the proper entrance into the realm of intense and sober fragrances?

Default Re: I wanna go dark and intense. Will you be so handy and gimme a piece of advice?

Burberry London, Paul Smith London (very hard to find though), Fahrenheit, Zirh Ikon, Zirh Corduroy to name a few, all personal favorites of mine that are darker choices, best suited for the cooler months. Also Escada Magnetism, though not a favorite of mine, a darkish/spicy/sweet one that projects well.

Default Re: I wanna go dark and intense. Will you be so handy and gimme a piece of advice?

For a louder, more brutish take on Code, you might try Black Sun/Salvador Dali. Also has superior longevity to Code.

If you want to cross over from an "Armani style" of "dark", I suggest Salvador Dali pour homme. It's dark, rich, mysterious and woody. It also reminds me of a decaying garden.

Designer:

Zino
    Fahrenheit
    Michael Kors
    Havana
    M7
    L'Essence de Déclaration
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Ungaro III
    Salvador Dali PH

Niche:

Ambre Russe
    Fumerie Turque
    Black Aoud
    Tea for Two
    Ambre Sultan
    Serge Noire

good advices
    I'll add versace dreamer

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

YSL's Opium pour Homme is a safe introduction to darkness and intensity. Spicy, peppery vanilla oriental.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Fahrenheit Absolute

Great scent!

Also try:

Zino Davidoff, dark-ish and erotic

Encre Noire
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I find Montale-Aoud flowers pretty dark.

Neil Morris Fragances are very Dark Intense - Masculine and Sophisticates at the same time ,

Also Chanel Antaeus
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

Ungaro 1
    Sycomore
    Jules
    Balenciaga pour Homme
    Or Black
    Black Aoud
    Fumerie Turque
    Jubilation XXV
    Patchouli 24
    Yatagan
    Halston Z-14
    Last edited by pluran; 2nd February 2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: mons veneris

Gucci pour Homme

dark and intense oriental? Oscare de La Renta pour Lui

Chergui by Serge Lutens
    Antaeus by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by LucasKane View Post
    Gucci pour Homme
    +1 on Gucci: spices, woods, amber and leather

And also Comme des Garcons - Man 2: White Smoke, Nutmeg, Cumin, Mahogony, Saffron, Iris, Nutmeg, Leather, Vetiver, Incense.

fountain

try dali

Blog Entries

Welcome to the dark side, our fragrances have guts!

Basically just open my wardrobe and browse. I do NOT own aquatics that i really use, and the ones i do were blind buys. Anything with 4-5 stars i'd recommend checking out

Frapin Caravelle Epicee
    Michael Kors. Michael for men.
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Creed Tabarome Millesime
    Amouage Epic

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Fahrenheit Absolute

Great scent!

This one

Definitely Salvador Dali Pour Homme, fabulously dark fragrance.

I would also recommend L'Homme Etre Aimee by Divine and Ungaro III.

Penhaligon's Elixir is also fairly dark too.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Burberry London.
    This is the first one that came to mind. Awesome scent.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Versace The Dreamer for tobacco.

Good longevity and sillage = Montale, try Black Aoud for something dark and intense.

If you really wonna go dark, try C&S no. 88.

Montale Black Aoud

Blog Entries

So many great recommendations! I have to try the Dali Pour Homme, Bossa Nova! Wood + decaying garden sounds amazing! And Farenheit Absolute IS quite the darkness. I'm torn between loving it and hating it as TOO dark.

Also look at Tom Ford - lots of "dark" frags. And since I see that you like Bulgari Black, then consider Back to Black by By Kilian. If you can imagine the Bulgari with the rubber removed and the oriental parts beefed up, sweetened, and blackened with tobacco.... It's awesome.

Great recommendations! I'd add Tuscan Leather to the list.

Chanel Antaeus

Van Clef & Arpels Pour Homme

Malle Noir Epices - This one may or may not work. It's a sillage and longevity monster, but test it first. It is a bit dark, but to me can smell a bit like a nice spicy soap. May not have the level "darkness" you seek.

Antaeus and VC&A are pretty Darth Vader-ish.

Costume National - Scent Intense

I first tried this in Seattle and it haunted me for months. There is something very mysterious and alluring about it. Given the fragrances you mentioned, I think you would really enjoy this one.

- Mazzolari Lui
    - Agonist the Infidels (if the freaking thing had some longevity - it's intense though)
    - CO Biegelow Elixir Black

I'll second Van Cleef and Arpels Pour Homme and Czech and Speak No. 88.

Any of the Serge Lutens arabian fantasy fragrances. I am very fond of Chergui and Ambre Sultan. Arabie is good, too.

Bois du Portugal is warm and intense. Not exactly dark, but very warm, and very intense. Very recommended.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 30th August 2010 at 12:51 AM.

I would suggest Bogart Pour Homme a blend of dark tobacco - spice - on sweet amber / vanilla.

Try Donna Karan Wenge , dark , deep resinous woody , a mysterious heavy scent !

I'll also throw in Givenchy Gentleman as something that might be up your alley. It's a fairly dark tobacco scent. I understand that it has been reformulated--I last wore it about 10 years ago. I was about 25, and it was a bit "dark" for me at the time. Not sure when the reformulation may have occurred, nor how it may have changed.

Comme des Garcons - 2 Man
    Lalique - Encre Noire
    Pascal Morabito - Or Black
    Costume National - Scent Intense
    Serge Lutens - Serge Noire
    Serge Lutens - Borneo 1834

Embrace the darkness!

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    ... Antaeus and VC&A are pretty Darth Vader-ish.
    Agree, they sure match his outfit.

Plus: Salvador Dali pH, Oscar de la Renta pour Lui, YSL's M7, Gucci pour Homme.

M7. You may have to wait 2.5 hours, through cherries and Band-Aids to get to the oud wood, vanillic, thick sillage, but it's worth it.

You might want to try Histoires de Parfums 1740 and Idole by Lubin while you're on the prowl.

+1 Epic Man, Black Aoud, Serge Noire and from the look of it Back to Black is the one I need to check out.

Diptyque Eau Lente
    Dior Eau Noire
    Piquet Bandit
    Aramis Havana

For that dark, priestly aura, try Commes des Garçons Avignon or Gucci pour Homme. I also second Amouage Epic Man. Rose can also be very dark. If you can get your hands on a bottle of Alain Delon Iquitos you will be getting a nice, dark, gothic vibe.

Chanel Anteaus

Encre Noire by Lalique
    Antaeus by Chanel
    No. 88 by Czech and Speak

Another one you might want to try is Jungle by Kenzo, it's very similar smell wise to M7, BUT it's slightly more sweeter and spicier then M7 (also own and smells great), but M7 has more of a medicinal woody incense type of feel.

Also Armani Attidue is AWESOME, longevity does kinda suck, but it smells smokey. So maybe Armani Attitude (intense/extreme?)
    "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."

Quote Originally Posted by rafa_alves View Post
    - I love tobacco and woody notes, specially when softhened with a touch of citrus/green leaves or warmed with a slight touch of vanilla/spices.
    l'Occitane Vetyver: vetiver and nutmeg (not the darkest vetiver though)
    Caron l'Anarchiste: cedar and orange peel (more "edgy" than "dark")
    Puig Quorum
    Domenico Caraceni 1913

Quote Originally Posted by rafa_alves View Post
    - - the more sillage and longevity, the better
    - I love a woody and warm drydown
    - don´t like fragrances too dry or harsh
    Knize Ten - good longevity, warm drydown
    Knize Forest - not a lot sillage, but nothing dry about this one

Personally, I find Diptyque's L'Ombre Dans L'Eau to be a darker rose than C&S 88, but it's more of a cool early morning than a late evening darkness.

Others that might be fun to try: Zagorsk (CdG), Deep In Earth (BPAL), Bandit (Piguet), l'Heure Bleue (Guerlain)

I agree with all of the other guys who recommended Chanel's Antaeus.

Blog Entries

What about trying
    Aramis by Aramis
    La Nuit de l`Homme by Yves Saint Laurent
    Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche
    these are intense fragrances

I'm glad Salvador Dali pour Homme and Chanel Antaeus are well represented here.
    I'd also like to add Parfum d'Habit by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier

Thumbs down Re: I wanna go dark and intense. Will you be so handy and gimme a piece of advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    Welcome to the dark side, our fragrances have guts!

Basically just open my wardrobe and browse. I do NOT own aquatics that i really use, and the ones i do were blind buys. Anything with 4-5 stars i'd recommend checking out
    ....The fragrances in your wardrobe are all youthful/cheery/sweet and playful fragrances. Lots of gourmand and foody ones as well. Don't get me wrong, they are good scents. But I would not say they are dark at all
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    YSL's Opium pour Homme is a safe introduction to darkness and intensity. Spicy, peppery vanilla oriental.
    ^ Came here to say that.

Also, Eucris. (Both have a wonderful dark black currant note.)