Code of Conduct

Default In need of a second opinion

Hi guys,

Usually im not the guy that just go with one side, usually im not the guy that appear to be a fanboy.

But yesterday i received Creed MI and Creed GIT samples, and they are the most non-synthetic good smelling fragrances i have ever tried. My 2 other favourites are not even close, and actually i kinda dislike them now compared to the two Creeds.

Is it my nose that is odd, or is it a normal reaction to something "niche" over designer fragrances? - should i give them a few more days to see if its just a phase, and my "nose" with be back to "normal" again

Default Re: In need of a second opinion

No - they really are pretty great fragrances. There's nothing wrong with you. Creed was kind of my "gateway" house. From there, the whole world of niche perfumery really opened-up to me. Before experiencing the house of Creed, I really had no idea perfumes could be so absolutely gorgeous. Welcome to the dark side, my friend. Keep exploring and you'll surely discover several other houses which give you the same reaction you seem to be having to the house of Creed. Try some Serge Lutens and Parfumerie Generale next. You won't be disappointed.

Not all niche are over designers, some designers are pretty nice and have the quality of niche fragrances ^ ^

Point Blank

Creed makes a couple of stellar fragrances, to which I'd count both MI and GIT (I'd also include OV and Erolfa).

I relate to your experience but I'm not sure the dividing line is niche versus designer, since some of my favorites are from designer houses (and I've tried some disgusting niche scents). In my case, at least, I think it's simply that before I'd go about it at random - picking the first best impression of a handful of testers. When you go about it more thoroughly odds are that you will find much better fragrances that'll make your former favorites seem mediocre.

Creed was the first niche perfumery that I ever came across. At the time I was playing in a group (keyboard player). Our agent always smelt fresh and clean, but being a bloke, I felt daft asking another bloke what he was wearing, so I said to my singer who was female, go and ask him what fragrance it is and she did. It was Creed Silver Mountain Water and it must have been around 1995-1996 as I was 25. Previously I'd been using the likes of Calvin Klein and Armani, typical stuff you find in high street stores, so when I found out how much Creed was I thought crikey, this costs an arm and a leg, but I went ahead and purchased it. I had more compliments from people over the next few weeks asking what it was and I'd never had anyone ask before what I was wearing, so I thought it was great and since then I've never looked back. We should have changed the group name to Silver Mountain Water as there was myself, the guitarist and drummer that had a bottle all at the same time

Though I dislike those 2 Creeds, and Creeds in general, I too have found myself more drawn to natural-smelling (and often complex) frags over the last several months. In particular, among my favorites now are Acteur, Tobacco Vanille, and The Knize Ten.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by sirsmellzalot View Post
    No - they really are pretty great fragrances. There's nothing wrong with you. Creed was kind of my "gateway" house. From there, the whole world of niche perfumery really opened-up to me. Before experiencing the house of Creed, I really had no idea perfumes could be so absolutely gorgeous. Welcome to the dark side, my friend. Keep exploring and you'll surely discover several other houses which give you the same reaction you seem to be having to the house of Creed. Try some Serge Lutens and Parfumerie Generale next. You won't be disappointed.
    This is word for word what happened/is happening for me. I have a tendency to refrain from commenting on Creed quality related threads, but just had to because I remember a year or 2 ago, I had posted something very similar on MTG's thread on which the best scent is, to introduce someone (who's not tried any yet) to niche.

Come to think of it, I think Creed was the "gateway" / "entry" dip for many of us who had previously been unaware of the niche realm.
    Last edited by MFJ; 13th August 2010 at 02:42 PM.

The niche perfumes are often more exciting, because they take more risk when creating fragrances. They can think outside the box, because they do not have to reach the big masses out there. But there is not difficult to find fragrances from the designer companies, that are "up there" with the niche. F.ex CHANEL Egoiste and Pour Monsieur Concentree, Hermes Bel Ami, Rochas Lui, Gucci Pour Homme and Michael for men..

Yup, GIT kickstarted things for me in 1997 - still a favourite.

This is where quality comes in. I guess that explains why niche perfumes are more expensive.

Another in the chorus here for whom GIT was the first niche frag. It does make a big impression at first indeed. There are plenty of great designer scents too, so I wouldn't paint them all with the same "synthetic smelling" brush. Those are two of the most prominent and likely popular Creeds. It's a good twosome to start with for sure.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 13th August 2010 at 03:17 PM.

I've been an old school/designer frag wearer for many years. I don't have anywhere near the exposure to what's out there as your average BNer, but I do know what I like. I received my first Creed not too long ago--Silver Mountain Water--and I just want to wear the stuff all the time. At first sniff, it doesn't seem to be all that special, but there's something about the depth of it that is unlike anything else I've experienced. I've since picked up some MI, GIT, and OV, and love them all--the wife has complemented me more on these than almost anything else I've worn in the past.

So, no, I don't think it's just you....it's quality stuff, and has definitely piqued my interest in other "niche" offerings.

B.C. (Before Creed) A.C. (After Creed). These denotations mark how my experience with them opened up a new world and altered my perception of the potentiality of fragrance.

What may have happened to you was what I think happened to me. Previously, my nose (i.e. brain) had been habituated to mostly synthetic fragrances. When I experienced a Creed, at first I didn't like it yet it was addictive (I got a lot of wrist-to-nose arm exercise). Then, my tastes nearly reversed; I craved less-synthetic and more "natural" fragrances.

Nowadays, the mostly synthetics don't necessarily smell bad, they just smell a little lifeless -- like a black & white version of a color photograph.

Thanks for the replies. I definitely did not mean to pin point all designers as "synthetic". I am still wearing some designers which i very much enjoy.

At some point i am happy with three Creed offerings (SMW, IT & MI) and i actually have a chance if i add a few designers which i still like, and be done with it. But i cant help but being abit curious to see what else is out there. I really hope i can see the light and stop while im ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Creed was the first niche perfumery that I ever came across. At the time I was playing in a group (keyboard player). Our agent always smelt fresh and clean, but being a bloke, I felt daft asking another bloke what he was wearing, so I said to my singer who was female, go and ask him what fragrance it is and she did. It was Creed Silver Mountain Water and it must have been around 1995-1996 as I was 25. Previously I'd been using the likes of Calvin Klein and Armani, typical stuff you find in high street stores, so when I found out how much Creed was I thought crikey, this costs an arm and a leg, but I went ahead and purchased it. I had more compliments from people over the next few weeks asking what it was and I'd never had anyone ask before what I was wearing, so I thought it was great and since then I've never looked back. We should have changed the group name to Silver Mountain Water as there was myself, the guitarist and drummer that had a bottle all at the same time
    Fantastic story, Craig. Can you get the band back together and make some vids for YouTube? What perfume did the foxy lead singer wear?

Abliss, it's really great when we find something that awakens something new, isn't it? Like finding a third dimension on something we thought was flat. Or something nifty like that. I dunno. Pretty cool. Hope your nose never returns to "normal."
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Oh the horror....

I really like GIT, and I still do. But i just received a sample of Cool Water today, and really... Damn you Cool Water for making a significantly close to but worse scent that ruins GIT for everyone.
    Last edited by Abliss; 27th August 2010 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abliss View Post
    Hi guys,

Usually im not the guy that just go with one side, usually im not the guy that appear to be a fanboy.

But yesterday i received Creed MI and Creed GIT samples, and they are the most non-synthetic good smelling fragrances i have ever tried. My 2 other favourites are not even close, and actually i kinda dislike them now compared to the two Creeds.

Is it my nose that is odd, or is it a normal reaction to something "niche" over designer fragrances? - should i give them a few more days to see if its just a phase, and my "nose" with be back to "normal" again

.x.x.x.x.x.x.

Oh the horror....

I really like GIT, and I still do. But i just received a sample of Cool Water today, and really... Damn you Cool Water for making a significantly close to but worse scent that ruins GIT for everyone.
    You asked for it - second opinion. It is a trick of the mind. Your expectations fool You. Take it for granted. Creed is by no means "niche". It is just costly, and the only reason to be so is a) to provide exclusivity and b) maintain as much of a good margin as possible with lower sales. The price and presentation of the Creed line makes people believe that they get at least something different. That is true. But different doesn't mean better in every case, go figure!

The marketing concept of Creed is spot on a certain sort of customers. While the fragrances aren't that special, the outspoken attitude of sheer superiority provides a guideline to identify with. In this self referencing system (loop back) of beliefs every oddity of a fragrance is considered an indication of the preconditioned superiority.

According to Luca Turin the artistic concept of Creed is about bad taste. I second that partly, having had the pleasure to smell three recent releases, EROLFA included.

Sorry, You asked for someone not on the Creed band waggon.

Creed always makes top notch frags you can argue that they smell bad ,etc but they are always well made and with attention to detail. Creed to me is the pinnacle of fragrance and very few can even come close, but none eclipse it.

Oh the horror....

Bookmark your post. In two or three years, you may well be scratching your head wondering how you could ever have made such a statement - I know I was.

There are some interesting niche scents to be explored, but a big chunk are pretty dull after one gets over the novelty of niche perfumers mixing traditional male and female components, and calling the end result unisex (as opposed to old style unisex scents, which were often devoid of those components).

The main problem I have with some Creeds is variability. I give all scents wrists tests, and time how long they hang around for. The MI that I tested 6 years ago barely lasted three hours in my wrist test. But the MI that I tested a year ago hung around for seven or eight hours.
    Renato

Hi guys,

Is it my nose that is odd, or is it a normal reaction to something "niche" over designer fragrances?
    Can' say whether it is "normal" or not but your reaction doesn't surprise me. They are both fine scents.

Banned

Creed was also my introduction into "niche" fragrance.

But after sampling Caron, Surge Lutens, Le Labo, Amouage, and countless others.... nothing yet has come close to Creed. it infuriates me that people say Creed is like training wheels to other, better niche houses. I've tried so many with an open mind... WANTING to find something else.

Nope.

I'm another that found Creed as a gateway to niche houses but TPC was just as much a revelation.

It's easy to say that I've moved on to better things, my tastes have evolved, the things I found really good I'm no longer so keen on. I still have a soft spot for Creed, like all houses they produce some good stuff and they produce some dross as well.

Wildthingy, you most certainly do not have to apologize, i asked for any opinions
    At some point you are right, but i think you emphasize the marketing alittle bit too much and not giving me any credit. Too compare prices, i can get Creeds at the price most people pay retail for Armani in my country. So its certainly in the high-end, but its not insanely costly.

The problem is that this is a never ending story. At the beginning i was looking for just 3-5 fragrances that suited my exact needs, but i find it harder and harder to settle with something - ignorance is bliss, but im too damn curious im afraid.

@Renato, don't get me wrong i can smell the diffrence, Green Irish Tweed are more crisp and bubbily (in the good way) its more lively and a more honest dry down, BUT and this is a big BUT, despite my idea is that fragrance is for me only. I cannot subdue the fact that everyone will think that its "just" a bottle of Cool Water with GIT price tag. Im aware that I should ignore that but i honestly cannot.

Oh, i feel this is going to get hard from here. I am abit conservative in my choices, and i guess that most niche are more daring and out-there, its going to be something "niche" but pleasant/ that people which normally do not like parfume would like to be around.
    Last edited by Abliss; 29th August 2010 at 05:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi guys,

Maybe you just like Creed's style. It's not a crime, and it doesn't make you a fanboy. I like Hermès style in fragrance, but I'm hardly the kind of person they market their other wares toward.

I enjoy your innocent discovery of something you like. That's the best way to discover Creed. Now, all you have to do is have the courage to follow your nose, and don't let other people tell you what you "should" or "shouldn't" like.

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    You asked for it - second opinion. It is a trick of the mind. Your expectations fool You. Take it for granted. Creed is by no means "niche". It is just costly, and the only reason to be so is a) to provide exclusivity and b) maintain as much of a good margin as possible with lower sales. The price and presentation of the Creed line makes people believe that they get at least something different. That is true. But different doesn't mean better in every case, go figure!

The marketing concept of Creed is spot on a certain sort of customers. While the fragrances aren't that special, the outspoken attitude of sheer superiority provides a guideline to identify with. In this self referencing system (loop back) of beliefs every oddity of a fragrance is considered an indication of the preconditioned superiority.

According to Luca Turin the artistic concept of Creed is about bad taste. I second that partly, having had the pleasure to smell three recent releases, EROLFA included.

Sorry, You asked for someone not on the Creed band waggon.
    WildThingy - there are always a few people who fall under this characterization you make, but after observing the many considerate noses on this forum, it is far easier for me to believe that the hundreds of aficionados who love more than one Creed scent are genuinely moved by them, than to believe that one detractor - you, in particular - are cognizant of Creed's ability to warp their minds, and that all of these other people are simply pawns of Creed marketing. Frankly, your behavior toward anything made by Creed smacks of "guerrilla anti-marketing", just as much as those occasional suspect fanboys who tend to arrive like clockwork at launch-time for various scents, Creed included.

My advice, which you are free not to take, is to lighten up, and perhaps be a little more even-handed in your trashing of fragrance houses, or risk being perceived as a paid anti-shill. And if you are an anti-shill, please hit the road. The only thing worse than guerrilla marketing is guerrilla anti-marketing.

I appriciate your words Redneck, and be please be certain that i will obviously just wear what i like. My chosen words of "not being a fanboy" was simply to balance the feedback i would get.

Secondly, i would hope that we could keep this civil. I had no intentions to upset anyone, was just curious to hear if anyone had a similar reaction to their first "niche".

Blog Entries

Sorry if I started to turn this thread uncivil. I'll just shut up. But before doing so, let mention why I'm so sensitive about this.

I remember a few years ago when we had Creed wars here, and it sucked. A lot of folks who liked Creed were actually afraid to post because the haters would jump on the thread immediately, dragging in the marketing stuff. Discussion of Creed scents which descended into marketing would end up getting moved to the Fragrance Industry Discussion before being locked. It did not end until the fanboys and haters were all banned. I simply refuse to go back to that situation.

I'll get back on topic. Sorry for derailing things.

What you experienced strikes me as the discovery of a new house that you're compatible with. Believe me - there is some niche scents that will have you holding your nose and wondering what the perfumer was thinking. But I think that as a general rule, when you find something you like in a niche house, there is an excellent chance that there is at least one more scent for you in their mix, and possibly several. Some niche houses like Malle are varied because of the breadth of the perfumers, and you may not find a house fascination. However, Creed does seem to have a certain style ("retroscentual" is a GREAT name for it), and if that's your bag, you may find it to be a house to your liking.

Interestingly, I didn't like Creed at first. Very "meh" - all of them, including GIT. It wasn't until Bois de Cedrat that I found Creeds that I liked. But on some of them, like GIT, it's clear that my nose changed from when I first started basenoting. It was actually somebody else wearing GIT that made me fully appreciate it. Still smells like Cool Water to me, but GIT edges it out over CW on critical notes. Different value systems after that. I might find the extra bucks worth it, because my scale on frag price/love is not linear. Others may find it ridiculous to pay for GIT over CW. To each his/her own on that.

No worries Red, you didnt do anything. I was trying to prevent this from getting out of hand, i have previously browsed through a couple of Creed threads where it got out of hand, i just didnt want the same thing here.

Im not going to leave Creed alone, i enjoy some of their offerings and im going to sample a few more Right now im just considering if I should stop at Creed and quit while im ahead, it seems that this could turn into quite an expensive obsession if I continue

Blog Entries

Im not going to leave Creed alone, i enjoy some of their offerings and im going to sample a few more Right now im just considering if I should stop at Creed and quit while im ahead, it seems that this could turn into quite an expensive obsession if I continue
    You're right about that - it can get expensive if you buy everything you appreciate as soon as you do. But there's a great way to deal with that - tease yourself for all you're worth. What I mean by that is to savor those scents that you discover that you like, or that you think you will like. Instead of jumping the gun for a blind buy or a quick buy, let those scents compete to see which one goes first. I'm waiting for Aventus right now - savoring my sample, and waiting to buy the flacon through my favorite Saks. That one was a no-brainer for me, because it's damn near a holy grail - but I still didn't jump for the buy. Other scents, I pass up right and left, or wait a year or two before I find a really good deal, or an opportunity buy. And - importantly - a lot of scents get beaten down the list by other scents that I love better. So I guess what I'm saying is that you can appreciate scents without buying them all. Allow them to compete for your affection! In the end, you'll have a wardrobe with no regrets.