Code of Conduct

Default I'm stucked, will you help me to find the fragrances of my style?

Well, first I dont know actually what it my favourite class. After triying more than 150 fragrance I see on the top of my list most of them are generally aromatic fougeres and woody floral muscs.

What I want from you, is to suggest me some fragrances I could like. I want fragrances that smells absolutely wonderfull and some longevity on them. So scent is the major player here.

For this I can tell you that:

-my favourite notes are oakmoss, pine, bergamot, lemon, artemisia, some light smelling flower especially honeysuckle, sometimes vetiver, sometimes patchouli.

-I hate notes like vanillia, tobacco, caramel, fig, sage, clove, cinnamon or any sweet note and gourmands, strong pepper notes too

-ı dont like sandalwood, incense, nutmeg and other dry powdery like notes.

So I generally like smooth and fresh smelling, natural, green like oldskool fragrances, like what?

hımm like,

-tuscany (smells wonderful, has just the scent Im trying to explain)
    -bulgari pour home (smells wonderful, has just the scent Im trying to explain)
    -acqua di selva (smells wonderful, has just the scent Im trying to explain)
    -terre d'hermes (smells very good)
    -romeo gigli man (smells very good to wonderful)
    -polo crest (smells very good to wonderful)
    -2 man (smells very good))
    -drakkar noir (smells very good)
    -212 (smells good)
    -armani ph (smells good but sometimes harsh)
    -safari (smells good)
    -fahrenheit (smells good)
    -boss spirit (smells good)
    -kouros fraicheur(smells good)
    -jil sander (smells good)
    -jazz (smells good and original)
    -GIT (smells good to very good)
    -aqua allegoria pamplelune (smells good and so fresh)
    -versace black (smells good and original)
    lagerfeld photo (smells good)
    -TSAR (smells not so bad but a little bit too peppery)
    -burberry brit (smells not so bad)
    -ps story (smeels not so bad)

what I dont like;

-yatagan (too hard and heavy)
    -third man (too sophisticaded and a bit dated)
    -l'anarchiste (too sophisticated and not my style)
    -rive gauche (a bit hard and not my style, don't like barbershop like fragrances much)
    -BDP (not for my age)
    -trussardi (not my style)
    -antaeus (too hard and not much style)
    -obsession (too sweet)
    -lagerfeld kl (sweet and older)
    -ungaro's and leather themed ones(they are good but not my style)

As you can see now, i lie oldskool masculines but like tuscany, drakkar, polo crest, pierre cardin enigme or pour monsieur, gres, armani like "gentle" and somewhat "light" ones, not the harsh and heavy ones like antaeus, jaguar original, opium etc.

And I like fresh fragrances like 212, bulgari, gigli, terre, story, acqua di parma, not teenager ones like adg, incense ultramarine, polo blue, polo sport, modern hugos and modern lacoste's.

I hope I'm not asking for too much. I just wanted to explain what i like exactly, because Im not clinged to one type.

So, what can you suggest, niche ones are especially welcome too. Are there some good niches smells like tuscany, bulgari, gigli, polo crest? Or all of them are soo sophisticated, not so easy to understand or what?
    god bless oakmoss

Dependent

Default Re: I'm stucked, will you help me to find the fragrances of my style?

Looking at your preferences I would suggest to sample these:

Narciso Rodriguez for him
    Bulgari Aqua
    L'Artisan Tea for Two (may have weaker longevity)
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Creed Silver Mountain Water, Royal Water
    L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme
    Boss Selection
    Serge Lutens Cedre, A La Nuit
    The Different Company Sel de Vetiver, Bois d'Iris
    Last edited by MFJ; 16th August 2009 at 12:44 PM.

KOUROS = #1 for you (i think )

May be its time to switch to niche ^__^

FM Vetiver Extraordinaire
    MPG Parfum d'Habit (old formulation, cant speak for the new one)
    TDC Bois d'Iris
    Parfum de Nicolai New York (since u like armani, this one is top-shelf)
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Considering you like old school fragrances, Narciso Rodriguez might be up your alley, as it's kind of old school, but modern at the same time. Fresh, clean and green with a slightly floral vibe over lots of smooth musk. Strange and unique, but similar in style to other classic fragrances.
    Sales thread here

opa !!
    try Pino Silvestre
    Aramis 900
    Polo original
    and keep on the .. sample sample sample trail ,,

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Thank you all, Im taking note of these.

Its very strange to havent been tried the aqua still after trying 150 or more fragrances

I have a tea for two sample, havent tried it yet.

I know kouros and love it. But its a little bit too much for me, I find fraicheur is to be better.
    Also tried the silver mountain water, like the scent but sillage and longevity were zero on my skin.
    I think neroli sauvage is a little bit better, it has the same longevity problems though. But none of them reserves that kind of money.

Actually; after horrible newer boss fragrances I'm scared to try selection, But I will.

I have a gucci envy sample, havent used it yet but it smells wonderful at first. And I forgot to mention that the only oriental i REALLY like is lancome hypnose, subarashi

Are there any good orientals like these two, without sickly sweetness and muskyness? More suggestions are welcome
    god bless oakmoss

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by sarelle500gr View Post
    Thank you all, Im taking note of these.

Its very strange to havent been tried the aqua still after trying 150 or more fragrances

I have a tea for two sample, havent tried it yet.

I know kouros and love it. But its a little bit too much for me, I find fraicheur is to be better.
    Also tried the silver mountain water, like the scent but sillage and longevity were zero on my skin.
    I think neroli sauvage is a little bit better, it has the same longevity problems though. But none of them reserves that kind of money.

Actually; after horrible newer boss fragrances I'm scared to try selection, But I will.

I have a gucci envy sample, havent used it yet but it smells wonderful at first. And I forgot to mention that the only oriental i REALLY like is lancome hypnose, subarashi

Are there any good orientals like these two, without sickly sweetness and muskyness? More suggestions are welcome
    Firstly, I assure you that Boss Selection is NOTHING like the later nonsenses(IMO) of Pure and Hugo Element. If you happen to be at a Boss counter, do try Boss #1 as well, it is one of the best from Boss IMO, pretty old school smelling

SMW does get complains for longevity I noticed, but it seems to do well on me. Probably a skin chemistry thing.

For an oriental, I think Annick Goutal Musc Nomade is wonderful and isnt too heavy on amber and the musk is not too animalic IMO, it isn't as sweet as Gucci Envy for men which I enjoy as well.
    Last edited by MFJ; 16th August 2009 at 02:45 PM.

Have you considered Penhaligon's? I think Blenheim Bouquet, Douro and English Fern may work for you.

Or from Geo F Trumper, Wild Fern or Eucris?

Perhaps some (all) of these may be too barbershop-like.

What first came to my mind is -if you want niche- L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe.
    And then secondly Villoresi Yerbamate.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Firstly, I assure you that Boss Selection is NOTHING like the later nonsenses(IMO) of Pure and Hugo Element. If you happen to be at a Boss counter, do try Boss #1 as well, it is one of the best from Boss IMO, pretty old school smelling
    Yeah, boss #1 is really old school. But my placement is;

1.Boss Spirit
    2.Boss #1
    3.Boss Sport

I'm considering everything suggested here So be open. Keep suggesting guys I'm taking note all of these. Need to have a thick wallet for so much samples
    god bless oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Have you considered Penhaligon's? I think Blenheim Bouquet, Douro and English Fern may work for you.
    In one of Blenheim Bouquets's review it says;

"This fragrance is so easy to understand. Very straight forward with its tangy lemon and natural smell of pine needles. Sometimes at a particular moment on my skin it does smell like lemon-scented wood polish but."

lemon, pine, wood polish? ohh sounds orgasmic for a luthier like me.

Also I want to mention that if there are any other luthiers or classical guitar lovers here, Andree Putnam's Preparation Perfumee smells just like a newly made classical guitar, a must try.
    Last edited by sarelle500gr; 16th August 2009 at 04:00 PM.
    god bless oakmoss

If you want a sort of oriental that isn't super strong and sickly sweet you should try Penhaligons Endymion.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Oh I second Fou d'Absinthe, lovely stuff.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Wow you're like the opposite of me. You might like Polo Modern reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Punisher View Post
    Wow you're like the opposite of me. You might like Polo Modern reserve.
    Yeah, I couldn't try it yet, and Im really curious about it. How is it? What is the main differences than the original one? The original one was like a sweet peppermint drop with some warm spices. I always find the crest it much more grown and perfected. But stupid rl discontinued it. Its so unbelievable that the perfume houses can be this stupid sometimes.
    god bless oakmoss

Definitely try Polo Modern Reserve if you like Crest. Sisley Eau Campagne might fit... you also might enjoy Hermes Un Jardin sur le Nil

Quote Originally Posted by Antaeusintheair View Post
    Definitely try Polo Modern Reserve if you like Crest.
    Oh, I will, then.
    god bless oakmoss

maybe some Polo Blue
    Last edited by lightgreen22; 18th August 2009 at 09:48 PM.
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Paul Smith Man

Quorum Silver
    Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men
    Vera Wang for Men (bad longevity though)
    Tom Ford for Men (longevity issues too)
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Coriolan
    Chaleur d'Animale
    Bandit
    Fracas for Men
    Givenchy Gentleman

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

c'mon guys, I'm always open to new suggestions.
    god bless oakmoss

have you tried the other hermes' fragrances for men, like bel ami, equipage, rocabar?

c'mon guys, I'm always open to new suggestions.
    It's been a year since you started this thread. What have you tried and what were your impressions?
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post
    It's been a year since you started this thread. What have you tried and what were your impressions?
    Other than the ones i first written, I also know

naciso rodriquez (Very good, 80's taste, but there is something i dont like in it)
    bulgari aqua (Classic aquatic, likable)
    gucci ph II (Superb quality, wood smell, kinda like cdg hinoki,love it)
    Creed Silver Mountain Water(didnt find it much exciting, and think doesn't deserve its money)
    L'instant de Guerlain (doesnt deserve the name guerlain)
    Boss Selection (I already knew)
    Kouros (I already knew)
    Pino (I already knew)
    Polo (I already knew)
    Polo Blue (I already knew)
    Paul Smith man (didnt like it after story, but extreme version is not bad)
    Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men (I already knew)
    Givench Gentleman (I already knew)

Other than terre I only tried hermes eau d'hermes, which I found to be fantastic. Just like guerlain mouchoir de monsieur.

I'm wondering about krizio uomo? How is it? Does it have piney smell a bit in it? I love piney, lemony, mossy green scents very much.
    god bless oakmoss

I'm wondering about krizio uomo? How is it? Does it have piney smell a bit in it? I love piney, lemony, mossy green scents very much.
    You should like Krizia based on what you've said. No vanilla sweetness. Have you tried New West or Borsalino? If you like those, you should like Krizia. Also try Agua Brava by Puig - very piney like Pino Silvestre.
    Check out as well: Aramis, Francesco Smalto, Stetson, Oscar De La Renta Pour Lui, Givenchy Gentleman, That Man Revlon, YSL Pour Homme (great lemon), Green Water Jacques Fath (mint, lemon and lime), Brooks Brothers New York Gentleman (orange/lemon).

Thank you. I'll try them. Know aramis, givenchy gentleman and ysl pour homme, succesful fragrances but not exciting me much. Maybe I want too much, dont know.
    god bless oakmoss

Could not detect if you like mint or not. But Cartier roadster is a Minty/woods for me, might suit you.

Tea for Two by L'Artisan. Also, if you're looking for sort of somewhat spicy woody scents, I'd suggest trying Frapin fragrances. Not very familiar with that house, but almost everything I tried from there is a nice oriental woody aromatic. CdG seem to have a lot of excellent woody smells as well, but I haven't explored that house yet. Narciso Rodriguez for Him EdP is a nice vetiver with some woods and such.

Your criteria are very general. Basically you've given too much information, maybe simply pointing us to your favorites and exactly what you like and dislike about them would make it easier.

L'Occitane 4 Voleurs (if you can find it, some stores may still have stocks). Half way between Pino and Blenheim Bouquet. Manages to be very true, realistic notes of Lemon and Pine.

roadster is good, but was too cal m on my skin.
    I have samples of 2 for two, blenheim bouquet, fou d'absinthe

Yea, maybe I gave too much details. The problem is I'm a young but old headed person. So in summary what i like is,

-lighter type of 80's powerhouses which generally smells like piney, green, lemony and mossy but not heavy, fresh.(age:26)(i know bogarts and arpels, )

-and bulgari ph type modern and elegant smells, which have their own characteristics
    god bless oakmoss