Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default some sale bottles rather than fragrances.

How do you think the bottle itself adds to the total price of the fragrance? I start to think that some companies are in the business of selling nice bottles rather that the juice inside.
    If you look at some bottles they are very well done in terms of design and materials used but then the fragrance turns out to be lame and boring with a poor quality and structure.

A friend of mine has a fresh water company and once told me "I am selling bottles not water" as the bottle is more expensive than the water inside, his biggest overhead is the bottle and not the osmotic water which has a marginal price. His observation makes me think that in the perfume world that can be very well the case.

Yesterday I tried Play Intense by Givenchy and the bottle was really well elaborated, strong, with different materials (rubber, plastic) .. but the fragrance much less appealing that the bottle.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: some sale bottles rather than fragrances.

Couldn't agree with you more!

The trend is going more towards marketing the bottle almost as much as, or even more than the perfume, which tends to be bad for the wallet of people like me, who find the scent to be sometimes secondary to the bottle.

However, fortunately, most of the bottles that are pleasing to me eg Shalimar/Arpege/Poison etc are also great or appealing scents(to me) in their own right.

I wouldn't want to own any fragrance that dates from later than 1992 simply because I feel that the trend of marketing bottles over quality scent started in the vague period of some years before the new millenium.

If I had the budget to buy 'modern' fragrances post-1992 just on the merit of bottle appeal alone, I would go for :

- Viva la juicy ( a lot of ppl like the scent anyway, although I've no chance whatsover to smell it)
    - Bvlgari BLV
    - Sublime(Jean Patou)
    - Bvlgari Black(which also has many fans)
    - Guerlinade(which is also supposed to be great)
    - Lolita Lempicka
    - Angel Liqueuer du parfum
    - Womanity
    Last edited by domperrier; 29th August 2010 at 12:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

As long as we're on the subject, I also find there's a wide variety in terms of the quality of the boxes. To me, the box is an opportunity to be as an important part of the presentation+experience as the bottle, but it's rarely done well.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

its also like wine...they have very elaborate bottles and they are quite expensive, but you can find cheap bottles that taste as good or better without the presentation...some frags i have smelled in crappy looking bottles have the greatest frags, almost unassuming...some of the coolest bottles i have seen hide disaster!!

Good thread, i think there is a valid point here...what are you paying for?
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

I tried Play by Givenchy, not the intense version, and I quite liked it.
    For me personally, the juice is better then the mp3-player bottle... I actually find it a very cheap idea and design, as if they made it for kids. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing though. I just don't like it.

Post Thanks / Like

yes it targets younger audiences , Justin Timberlake is their image so.. there you go. I think the bottle is well done for what they are aiming. very synthetic juice and very sweet, I like the rubberish note though

I'm surprised you're calling it sweet. After testing Chergui, my perception of a sweet fragrance has totally changed, lol!
    There are also people who call l'Homme by YSL sweet. The perception of sweetness in fragrance is certainly interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

well I get a very sweet choco/vanilla combo, even some fruity elements. Longevity is brutal... it survives all evening and night even contaminating my bed clothing... cloying and synthetic.

Oh wait, you're talking about the Intense version right? Thought you were talking about the regular.
    The Intense could certainly be sweet, haven't tested that one yet.

I would say for many companies, bottle design figures into pricing.