Code of Conduct

Default How is the development of Serge Noire Serge Lutens?

Linear?
    Complex and layered?
    Fast?
    Slow?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: How is the development of Serge Noire Serge Lutens?

Linear? Nope.
    Complex and layered? Definitely. From camphoraceous & airy -> dry, smoky incense -> mildly sweet, soft woods.
    Fast? Nope. See below.
    Slow? Moderate. Over 5-8 hrs. On my skin anyway.

This is one of my fave Lutens. But don't judge at 1st sniff. Full wear is mandatory for better appreciation.

Very fast on me. Starts out intriguingly spicy then "collapses into a cedar box", to borrow another's phrase, once the top notes fade. After twenty or thirty minutes on me it becomes a super-faint, musty, dry cedar.

It's too bad, as it has one of my favorite top notes of a Lutens' oriental; kind of a smoky, resinous nutmeg. But, it's all head; no body, at least on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Very fast on me. Starts out intriguingly spicy then "collapses into a cedar box", to borrow another's phrase, once the top notes fade. After twenty or thirty minutes on me it becomes a super-faint, musty, dry cedar.

It's too bad, as it has one of my favorite top notes of a Lutens' oriental; kind of a smoky, resinous nutmeg. But, it's all head; no body, at least on my skin.
    While definitely a complex scent, I actually found the development to be fairly linear. Not a bad thing though, as I still adore this scent. One of my favorites from the line as well.

After the top notes fade, I get a dry, white smoke incense vibe from it. The first time I sampled this I couldn't help but in vision
    some mysterious old world Chinese pharmacy that sells incense, and small tinctures of rare and exotic materials.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Linear? Nope.
    Complex and layered? Definitely. From camphoraceous & airy -> dry, smoky incense -> mildly sweet, soft woods.
    Fast? Nope. See below.
    Slow? Moderate. Over 5-8 hrs. On my skin anyway.

This is one of my fave Lutens. But don't judge at 1st sniff. Full wear is mandatory for better appreciation.
    I full agree with DiamondFlame's comments.

Serge Noire is probably my VERY FAVORITE Serge Lutens scent, and I love so many SL scents. It will always hold a very special and ceremonious place in my heart.

Nonetheless, you gotta try this one before you buy it...it's incredibly hard to pin down in writing (even though I attempted to in my thread/review of it)

One of the only SL I like, as I find most of them to be too syrupy sweet and cloying.

I'd agree with Diamondflame's assessment, and yet I can see how it could be seen as being relatively linear, too. It definitely does not have the distinction between it's phases of a scent with a citrus top, floral heart, and woody base. It's much more cohesive than that, with a darkness pervading throughout, which may give a sense of linearity. But it's not linearity, it's just a well controlled development within a reduced range of olfactory colors and textures.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

The ONLY Lutens I despise with a passion! My tastes in Lutens tends to fall into the non-export scents; most of them actually with Chypre Rouge being the only one I like from the export line. I find Serge Noire to be extremely linear and all I smell is cloves, cloves and ummm...cloves! I can only tolerate cloves when it is incorporated in florals such as carnation scents and such. I however find it to be one of the strongest Lutens and has huge sillage. It grows and grows and grows never backing down!

I know my avatar is a pic of Serge Noire LoL but I just luuuurve that pic sooo much

Basenotes Plus

@scent LOL. Ahh...this is probably one of the distinguishing mark of many great scents: it splits the camp right in the middle!
    It is a visceral scent for me and I fully understand why some may hate it with as much passion as others who love it.

Serge Noire is one of the few from the export line i really love even if i'm not wearing it often.
    When the headnotes of eucalyptus/camphor are a little passed, the dark smoky encens smell like the odor of a firework...really amazing and unique fragrance.

it s surprising and non linear, but for non of the stages i would turn my head (not in the good nor the bad sense)
    and after 3 hours , at least on my skin nothing remains

Fast on me. Great scent.

One of the worst Lutens ever....fast evolution, overly woody (I never thought I would have said that) and WAAAY too much cloves....

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Terrible, terrible foul onions and body odor opening. Im always shocked that anyone like this smell. I always smell it when im at Barneys just because it is the worst fragrance i have ever smelled so far.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

I'm on the love end of the spectrum with this one. It's pretty intense right out of the gate with cumin and camphor, then transitions into burnt spices and incense.

Serge Noire has long been one of my top three -

I recognize its complexity and subtle changes as it projects, but I do think of it as rather linear because it lasts so long on my skin... I keep getting whiffs of it 10 - 14 hours after application, and I'm surprised and pleased each time it happens. It has everything I love in a fragrance - spice, wood, incense, resinousness, lack of sweetness, depth.

I've worn this on my arm 4 times over the past 3 years or so, thinking I must be remembering it wrong, but no, I get the same result every single time: CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP.

If you want to smell like you've just been cooking or eating soup, there is no better fragrance out there. It's dense (like most Lutens), foody/savory (cumin and clove), and has a uncomfortable boiled onions note. Baffling.

No matter how hard I try, I just don't 'get' this fragrance at all, and I'm convinced that I never will. If I wanted to smell like this (and I don't), I'd rather achieve it by actually cooking a pot of soup.