Code of Conduct

Default Creed Vintage Tabarome

I've had a sample of Vintage Tabarome for probably a couple of years, and apparently had never sniffed it. Today I am wearing it for the first time.

Why, oh why did this have to be discontinued. OK, I understand the raw materials issues, but it's just such a freakin' shame that a fragrance like this just fades away.

10/10 for sure.

Default Re: Creed Vintage Tabarome

I think very slow sales are more the culprit than the materials (but I do think there is some credence to the materials issue).

While many of us in here have a real admiration for a scent like VT, we are far, far from the average consumer for this kind of luxury good. I think the typical man who wanders up to a Creed counter in Nieman or Saks is fairly well horrified by a scent like Tabarome. It takes a certain level of knowledge and appreciation for most people to grasp a scent like that. Too, if that average consumer is with a woman, the chances are she will be more appalled than he.

Perhaps I'm filtering this through much of my own experience, but the women I know in their 30s consider VT to be akin to Old Spice- something their grandpa would wear. Not that they think it smells "bad" - just very far from current and contemporary. That can be a huge issue for some people under 40 or so.

Same thing happened to the legendary Patou Pour Homme which sold for a fraction of the cost of VT. I would bet they dropped it because of slow sales. If they brought back mass produced VT tomorrow at $60 per bottle, there would a rash of us leaping on it initially, but it would mostly linger on the shelves.

I agree it is one of my favs it will be missed same as the vetiver 1948 what a damn shame.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    I've had a sample of Vintage Tabarome for probably a couple of years, and apparently had never sniffed it. Today I am wearing it for the first time.

Why, oh why did this have to be discontinued. OK, I understand the raw materials issues, but it's just such a freakin' shame that a fragrance like this just fades away.

10/10 for sure.
    I know what you mean. I warned people not to try it for those reasons. It's amazing smelling stuff!

Trends change. If it were announced that Adolf Hitler loved Aqua di Gio and other aquatics, I'm sure they would be discontinued and some other category would fill the position.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensual View Post
    Trends change. If it were announced that Adolf Hitler loved Aqua di Gio and other aquatics, I'm sure they would be discontinued and some other category would fill the position.
    That's a non-sequitor!

Quote Originally Posted by Sensual View Post
    Given the current political landscape; it would drive up the demand for Aqua di Gio.

Vintage Tabarome, I liked it. But it's part of the retroscentual stuff that I've quickly distanced my tastes from.