Code of Conduct

Default Alternative to Vintage Tabarome

After smelling Vintage Tabarome for the first time, I am on a quest for a viable alternative. What currently available fragrance smells the most like VT.

Default Re: Alternative to Vintage Tabarome

aramis is similar, tobacco vanille even though it is different it has the tobacco concept,bois du portugal has a similar template, even royal english leather has an older gentleman vibe to it as well. I would say check the aramis line it has similarities.

That's a tough one. If you're looking for something that smells a lot like Vintage Tabarome, not sure what to suggest.

Yesterday, the Creed rep in Nieman Marcus was pushing her last Creed Cypres Musc on me as a alternative to VT, but my jury is out on that. In a brief "wrist test" it did have that very old school opening, but in all reality doesn't smell like VT.

In "attitude," I find Royal English Leather and Vetiver 1948 have the same overall kind of heavy old world elegance "vibe" as VT, but they do not smell like it.

I too have been on a quiet, low priority quest for a VT alternative to my dwindling supply. I had hopes for Xerjoff's Oroville, but elegant though it is, it's not like VT.

I like Tabarome Millesime a lot in its own right, but it is a highly modernized version of VT with little similarity to the original.

There are a lot of tobacco scents, but part of the appeal of VT is that there are few that really smell similar. I'd love to see what anyone else might suggest here.

These are NOT identical and don't have the final truth of blend and elements that would make a VT replacement, but I've thought Molinard's Habanita is in the same realm. Don't get me wrong, it's not the same thing, and I don't answer the thread's question to learn how befuddled I must be for making the suggestion, but Habanita does a similar thing for me and reminds me of VT.

Also, Ralph Lauren's Chaps reminds me of VT too. Again, not the same thing, but in my mind the uncontrollable trip wire that says "similar to VT" tells me so.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Edit 6-20-11:

Leonard pour Homme (1980), which I prefer to VT.
    Last edited by pluran; 20th June 2011 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    That's a tough one. If you're looking for something that smells a lot like Vintage Tabarome, not sure what to suggest.

Yesterday, the Creed rep in Nieman Marcus was pushing her last Creed Cypres Musc on me as a alternative to VT, but my jury is out on that. In a brief "wrist test" it did have that very old school opening, but in all reality doesn't smell like VT.

In "attitude," I find Royal English Leather and Vetiver 1948 have the same overall kind of heavy old world elegance "vibe" as VT, but they do not smell like it.

I too have been on a quiet, low priority quest for a VT alternative to my dwindling supply. I had hopes for Xerjoff's Oroville, but elegant though it is, it's not like VT.

I like Tabarome Millesime a lot in its own right, but it is a highly modernized version of VT with little similarity to the original.

There are a lot of tobacco scents, but part of the appeal of VT is that there are few that really smell similar. I'd love to see what anyone else might suggest here.
    Creed boutique is also selling cypres musc again, and not many are buying because so few have tried it, to me it smells like musk with sawdust, even though it is old and masculine the musk is too much to me and i find it offensive.

Some have said that Maxim PH is somewhat similar. I've never tried it myself though...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    Creed boutique is also selling cypres musc again, and not many are buying because so few have tried it, to me it smells like musk with sawdust, even though it is old and masculine the musk is too much to me and i find it offensive.
    My Creed rep seems to think they are dropping Cypres Musc. She had only one slightly evaporated flacon left. Be a tough one to sample since my guess is there are few bottles left. As a Creed gets into it's waning days, they seem to only have flacons left.

It was a fun trip into the store yesterday. I ended up holding a Creed seminar along with the Creed rep to a very young guy who was told he "should get a Creed." He tried virtually everything and couldn't decide. He was in there over an hour.

JonB- it's easy for us to spend your money, but to a large degree, I'm with Pluran. Dig out some VT from a source you trust. There is no scent that will give you the level of satisfaction if you've tried it and liked it. There is a bit of pride and confidence that comes from wearing something that has become so rare and pricey.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 29th August 2010 at 07:31 PM.

Amouage Gold.

My Creed rep seems to think they are dropping Cypres Musc. She had only one slightly evaporated flacon left. Be a tough one to sample since my guess is there are few bottles left. As a Creed gets into it's waning days, they seem to only have flacons left.

It was a fun trip into the store yesterday. I ended up holding a Creed seminar along with the Creed rep to a very young guy who was told he "should get a Creed." He tried virtually everything and couldn't decide. He was in there over an hour.

JonB- it's easy for us to spend your money, but to a large degree, I'm with Pluran. Dig out some VT from a source you trust. There is no scent that will give you the level of satisfaction if you've tried it and liked it. There is a bit of pride and confidence that comes from wearing something that has become so rare and pricey.
    I would love to hold a creed seminar myself i have taught many saks reps on creed many claiming i could sell it if i wanted lol.

And what did the young man buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    And what did the young man buy?
    LOL- he could not decide while I was there. For all I know, he's still standing there. He was clearly the case of someone smitten with the notion of buying a Creed, but too insecure in his own preferences to make a decision about one.

He was at the counter when I first came in to get a sample of Original Vetiver. I walked around the store for an hour and came back and he was still there.

LOL- he could not decide while I was there. For all I know, he's still standing there. He was clearly the case of someone smitten with the notion of buying a Creed, but too insecure in his own preferences to make a decision about one.

He was at the counter when I first came in to get a sample of Original Vetiver. I walked around the store for an hour and came back and he was still there.
    He he.. I have no problems seeing myselves in His situation! It`s like walking into a candy-shop for grown ups! It`s almost impossible to pick only one. After you pick a fragrance from a assortment like that, you will probably regardless regret your purchase, and think; "why didn`t I pick the other one?"..

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    He he.. I have no problems seeing myselves in His situation! It`s like walking into a candy-shop for grown ups! It`s almost impossible to pick only one. After you pick a fragrance from a assortment like that, you will probably regardless regret your purchase, and think; "why didn`t I pick the other one?"..
    Out of respect to the Creed rep I deal with a lot, I didn't talk up any other scents in the store. While it was clear someone had talked him into trying a Creed, he really would probably be better off trying a wider variety of niche scents. Great though many are, the Creeds are really a bit too mainstream for the kind of dramatic, bigger-than-life sort of scent he seemed to searching for.

He seemed greatly enamored with trying Windsor, which in my view, could not be more unsuited for what he was seeking.

It was a very interesting study of "average" consumer at a cologne counter. Very different than watching a Basenoter in the same situation.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Zero. Most everything listed above is as far away from it as a hawk from the moon.

Just find the VT. There's some out there. I have a lot and was thinking of selling some, but not yet.

Keep looking. You'll find it.

And write to Creed to let them know that they need to make more because there are hundreds of Basenoters who would buy it if they sold for a decent price.
    I agree

I've never found anything like it. It's one of a kind, as far as I can tell.

I agree with Mr. Stylin LA's commentary on fragrances that have a similar vibe. Vetiver '48 - yes, it's old-school enough. And Cypres Musc - yeah, I could see it.

VT, though - worth tracking down.

I wore some recently at a very formal business meeting. Lots of attitude in the room, lots of big decisions, lots of money changing hands. VT was the perfect choice. If you're looking for the ultimate in intimidating power fragrances, VT's the one. Just go light on it - you want to carry an elegant air of sophistication, not subtle-as-a-flying-mallet sillage.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 31st August 2010 at 03:01 AM.

Cool Re: Alternative to Vintage Tabarome

Nothing smells like it. I believe we're in agreement on this.

As far as what carries a similar vibe, opinions differ.

For me, if VT disappeared forever--what would be my "VT vibe" scent?

The honors would go to Blenheim Bouquet.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Amouage Gold.
    I'm impressed! It's not a replacement for VT in any way, but I remember vividly that when Gold (men's AND women's) were both made, they were supposed to reflect a facet of VT. It's there somewhere underneath the thick floral/powdery layer.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    These are NOT identical and don't have the final truth of blend and elements that would make a VT replacement, but I've thought Molinard's Habanita is in the same realm. Don't get me wrong, it's not the same thing, and I don't answer the thread's question to learn how befuddled I must be for making the suggestion, but Habanita does a similar thing for me and reminds me of VT.
    I agree. I think of VT as a masculinized Habanita
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Interesting thread.

'Vibe' is one of those elusive things that we sense as a collective whole instead of separate elements. Still I'm wondering if anyone would care to discuss what might constitute this 'old-school authoritative gentleman' vibe we find in Vintage Tabarome, or for that matter, the vibe that seems to have drawn comparison with those found in Blenheim Bouquet/Habanita/Maxim pH/Amouage Gold.
    Anyone?