Code of Conduct

Default Cologne and deodorant vs natural body odor & pheromones

Hey guys,

I'm interested in the eclectic possibilities of smell so I joined your board. However, I thought I would produce my first thread from more of a naturalist point of view and try to stir up some opinions on natural body odor. I'm sure you all have read about the naturally seductive nature of human pheromones in journals or magazine articles. Of course the overt smell and hidden chemicals (pheromones) we carry with us are only one aspect the olfaction-a-holic may be interested in. We all smell different and at different times of our lives and days - and perhaps covering up our natural smells block us from possibly useful indicators of diet, hormones, emotionality, and health. Just some fuel for discussion. How does this relate to your world views (or perhaps "world-smell" in this ocular-centric society) about smell and personal experience about upkeep.

Default Re: Cologne and deodorant vs natural body odor & pheromones

As a guy, I have to shower at least every other day. If it's hot, I'll sometimes shower twice a day. I'm not going to be stinky in modern society - bad hygiene is considered a sign of mental problems. You can't get away with going "natural" in this day and age.

Have a look at this PDF

http://www.senseofsmell.org/papers/H...otion_Sens.pdf
    Last edited by adonis; 29th August 2010 at 10:32 PM.

Besides, I guess that the whole pheromone theory is slightly overrated

I believe that our natural smells are important and functional, but I also happen to be convinced of the fact that we can detect them on a clean person, more or less subliminally. It's impossible to wash off every kind of bodily smell or hide them completely with deodorants/perfumes.

You don't have to be stinky to send an olfactory message.
    Last edited by tott; 30th August 2010 at 08:16 AM.

My girlfriend reacts crazy, when she smells porcinos (especially when i put them in a risotto). Still haven’t found a way to make my body smell that way.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    As a guy, I have to shower at least every other day. If it's hot, I'll sometimes shower twice a day. I'm not going to be stinky in modern society - bad hygiene is considered a sign of mental problems. You can't get away with going "natural" in this day and age.

Have a look at this PDF

Agreed.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post

Have a look at this PDF

I also agree !
    I can smell who has had a shower and who hasn't. The showered person smells better especially if you are walking behind them .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I have yet to see convincing proof of human pheromones.

hmmmm...interesting.

I shower regularly and apply my scent at least once occasionally another later in the day. I find my partner compliments my fragrance more times than not toward the end of the day versus when freshly applied. I have always took this as the fragrance having melded with my chemistry and giving off something he finds delectable. He doesnt seem to find it so when I first apply......so my guess is that my natural odor grows during the day helping make the artificial one that I've applied more appealing, at least to his nose.

I feel as if I've rambled....but there you go.
    Last edited by Dressed&Scented; 2nd September 2010 at 05:54 PM. Reason: typos
    -"You can call me "Flower" if you want to....*giggles*....I don't mind."

I don't think going natural is the way to go and as it has been said before, perfumes smell different according to your body chemistry. Pheromones are more concentrated in oily parts of the body like scalp and cheeks and apparently this is why mothers love to smell their babys heard. All that said, when you like a person's smell, you like it with our without perfume. What stinks is bacteria growing in sweat (sorry if TMI) so I don't think it would be appealing to anyone nor healthy so again...clean is wayyyyy prefered here!!

thats my 2 cents

There is somewhere between scrubbed and stinky that I find perfect. I love the natural body odor of a person, which to me emerges sometime after showering and before stinky. Stinky to me is just dirty; old sweat and whatever has adhered to you during the day. But fresh individual scent I find amazing. I have often been asked what cologne I'm wearing when I'm wearing nothing at all, no deodorant, no scented soap or anything. Maybe I just smell good but I think we all probably smell good without unnatural enhancements; old cologne, old deodorant, old sweat stinks. It is rare to smell someone with any of these in the US. I swear the worst scent of all is old deodorant and I wonder - cynical me - if the deodorant makers know this and sell you on covering up what their nasty scents decay into by the next day. From what I've read about one-third of people have no ability to smell pheromones, even on the unconscious level which is where they test it. But whether they exist seems settled, just not well understood. I like the musk scents - MKK, Declaration and even Rose 31 sometimes - lightly on top of my own scent. This may not be for everyone, particularly Americans but I like it and judging by the response a lot of people around me like it.

Personally, I am in the small minority that enjoys BO on people I find attractive -and I think that's the key here. I think that most of us would be offended by BO by people who are not our type or that we find unattractive or physically repulsive.

However, if someone walks into a room that is your physical ideal, the man or woman you have always dreamed of, and if they have underarm pit BO, you would be surprised how many people would all of the sudden enjoy that fragrance. I'm not talking about Pheromones, I am talking about plain old BO caused by bacteria. This doesn't surprise me, as many people are also attracted to the particular smells of certain cheeses or fermented foods, which are also caused by bacteria. I have seen this happen more than once: A guy I find utterly unattractive or physically repulsive, who forgot to use deodorant after showering in the morning and it's now late in the day and he is reeking of pit BO. While I don't find his pit BO in the least bit arousing and I wished he had used deodorant, I will see people who are interested in him because of the way he looks trying to stand as near him as possible to breathe his scent it. Some will even say "you smell so good..what cologne are you wearing?". Of course, this doesn't happen with everyone, but it happens with many. I also have a friend who says his wife likes to lick his pits after he comes home from the gym because the BO scent arouses her so much, and they always have great sex afterwards. Some people like smelly cheese..others like smelly pits..and others aren't happy unless you smell like what deodorant and soap companies have brainwashed us into believing is "good hygiene", when in fact bacterial smells have nothing to do with the hygiene of removing dirt & debris from our bodies.

To each his own, which is why it's important to find someone who appreciates you the way you are and enjoys the same things. =)
    My religion is kindness.
    ~The Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbird_ View Post
    Personally, I am in the small minority that enjoys BO on people I find attractive -and I think that's the key here. I think that most of us would be offended by BO by people who are not our type or that we find unattractive or physically repulsive.
    Yup. The smell of sweat on the reasonably clean body (I like musc's phrase, somewhere between scrubbed and stinky) of someone I'm attracted to can be completely intoxicating.

As for going natural, no, not for me. In the cold climate where I live there's no reason to shower obsessively - quite the opposite, it dries out your skin and is a huge waste of both water and energy - but keeping clean and using deodorant is something I do for myself as well as people around me. I don't like the way I smell when I'm sweaty, I don't like the way being sweaty feels.
    I really don't like the way most deodorants smell either, though, so I try to use unscented products when possible, but that's another topic..

I understand that some people like others' natural scent....I'm just not one of them. I was born in the late 60's and grew up in the 70's....just too many people "goin' natural" then for me to ever find that scent attractive now.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

keep in mind the body's pheremones dont have any smell detectable. the smell comes from the bacteria that eat the secretions.

Quote Originally Posted by GLTASN View Post
    keep in mind the body's pheremones dont have any smell detectable. the smell comes from the bacteria that eat the secretions.
    Exactly....that's why you can use products like the deodorant stone/crystal or an antibiotic cream in a pinch for deodorant. They keep the bacteria in check and the odor.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

Wearing perfume has never conflicted with my ability to understand my body's natural cues with regard to odor. I know what I smell like.

I also still smell people close to me because a well-applied perfume is never overwhelming. When I hug my mom I know it's her not because of her perfume, just because I know her comforting personal scent that has been with me so long.

Default Natural deodorant

Hi…
    I read your post and really you have done a great effort, I think its one of the great deodorant but I have something to recommend you to use the same thing “Deodorant” I visit many sites and blogs most of the deodorant like but the problem they are not satisfy me but at last I visit this http://www.naturallyfreshdeodorantcrystal.com/ then this product satisfied me at every aspects of the product that’s why I said to all of u to use this and feel the differences.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lorag View Post
    My girlfriend reacts crazy, when she smells porcinos (especially when i put them in a risotto). Still haven’t found a way to make my body smell that way.
    Overlooked this post. Too funny!