Code of Conduct

Default L'Artisan Fou D'Absinthe & Fredric Malle Noir Epices

Looking for some general feedback on the above two:

Would you consider them fitting for the Autumn or Winter?
    If so, what what you say there is a most appropriate use for either (ex. office, night, romantic, etc)?
    For those of you who are familiar with both - if you had to chose only one, which one and why?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: L'Artisan Fou D'Absinthe & Fredric Malle Noir Epices

I have a full bottle of Fou d'Absinthe, but only a travel bottle of Noir Epices. I think both of them are perfect for autumn and winter. I think they're both fine for the office, but they excel in the outdoors (especially FdA) and at night, although FdA is best kept light at the dinner table, IMO. I don't think of either as a cuddle scent, but they would be fine on dates. I find FdA more masculine. I would probably choose it over Noir Epices - mostly because I love the piney, balsamic nature of the thing. I think I'm happy with my FB of FdA.

I think that FD'A can work on almost every season and in a variety of settings, which is rare for a frag IMHO, regardless of personal choice.
    NE on the other hand is more of a Fall-Winter scent and it works even better at Christmas time, near a fireplace and with an semi-open window.

I have FdA, and I would have to say to definitely try before you buy if possible. My initial impressions immediately after spraying is that this stuff is very powdery, and very sweet. After it dries down a while, the camphorus piney notes become a bit more prominent. I know people say this is a very masculine scent, but the powdery, sweet opening doesn't strike me that way. I bought this blind, and I am beginning to like it, but not enough to put it into regular rotation.

I find the opening of FdA to be boozy and aromatic. Not sweet, not powdery. But I agree with the recommendation to try before buying because that's always a good idea.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    NE on the other hand is more of a Fall-Winter scent and it works even better at Christmas time, near a fireplace and with an semi-open window.
    LOL. Open window indeed. I like NOIR EPICES but I don't love it. In a wardrobe with over 50 scents, it it is the single most powerful and long lasting monster I have. Nothing I've ever tried lasts all day and through a shower. This does.

While it smells quite nice, on me it comes off like a really potent and spicy soapy smell. I wear it on occasion, but choose the time carefully. This is lethally strong stuff.

I just can't find the right "role" for it to play in my rotation.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 29th August 2010 at 07:33 PM.

I only have the first so I can't comment on the other one. FdA I wear at anytime I choose and absolutely love it.

I've only sampled Noir Epices and that's been a while ago, so I shouldn't say much except that I didn't buy it. Fou d'Absinthe, however, I bought and love. I don't find it particularly sweet or powdery. I agree with those who call it piney and a bit boozy. Great year-round for me. Highly recommended.

Noir Epices....it's just more complex and unique and more interesting.

Two of my favourites, I agree with Redneck about both being quite outdoorsy - I find them both strongly evocative of different places.

Fou d'Absinthe puts me in a pine forest on the West Coast of NZ with a cool southerly breeze and the promise of rain. It's refreshing, bracing and piney and I really enjoy it in cooler months. Of the two I would say FdA is probably a little more versatile, easier to wear in different circumstances.

Noir Epices puts me a few paces into moist rain forest in Java or southeast Asia for some reason - probably the clove. Dense forest canopy, wafts of heady floral and vegetation scents, decaying leaves and new growth all at once. It's life in full bloom, and I find it to be quite enveloping and protective - it works well for me if I'm navigating throngs of people by ferry / bus etc. in Asia in the heat. NE is certainly more complex with shifting facets depending on it's evolution and where you are etc.- it's a great ride.

Both are good for a looooong day for me.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Noir Epices....it's just more complex and unique and more interesting.
    Exactly - and it can be worn anytime/anywhere, even work.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

I like both.

Nut I think Noir Epices is a very challenging scent and don't recommend it as a blind buy. I hated it when I first tried it - only to fall in love with it much later on. Whereas Fou D'Absinthe is just wonderful Olivia-Giacobetti-does-pine perfection.

All I can say is that when you sample Fou d'Absinthe you should also sample Amouage Opus II. They both have a strong anise/absinthe note and a hint of shaving cream vibe, and both share some pine/spice elements as well. Here though, I find the Fou d'Absinthe, while an amazing fragrance in its own right, can't hold a candle to Opus II which has a certain je ne sais quous about it that lifts it into the stratosphere. A truly magical scent that captures and distills the essence of winter into a bottle.

As I said in the sample thread, Opus II is what Rive Gauche PH would smell like with an unlimited budget and if it was reformulated by God himself.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more