Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Feminine Or Unisex?

Default Re: Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille

What I know is that this one is one of my favorite vanillas of all time. On me, this one has a vanilla liqueur aroma that develops to a dry woody base with some pepper notes.

Sur la Plage

Check the genitalia under the cap.

I find it unisex. However, I don't think it is as great as other people make it out to be.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 29th August 2010 at 11:02 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Check the genitalia under the cap.
    Was somewhat ambiguous and non-descript. Here's what it looked like ... \!/

BTW, I own Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille and By Kilian's Back to Black. Do I need GSDV?

Its the shit , buy it

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post

I find it unisex. However, I don't think it is as great as other people make it out to be.
    I would totally agree with this, on both counts.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    BTW, I own Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille and By Kilian's Back to Black. Do I need GSDV?
    Only if you are really crazy about vanilla's. You already have two that are great ones. If you're looking for a vanilla without tobacco and that has a boozy aura, Spiritueuse Double Vanille is a great alternative. But you can also try Note Vanille by M. Micallef.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    But you can also try Note Vanille by M. Micallef.
    I prefer that over SDV.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

How does this compare to Creed's Sublime Vanille?

SDV is definitely different enough from the others to warrant a purchase. It's also far superior to them.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    AbdesSalaam Attar, Naomi Goodsir, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, L'Atelier de Givenchy, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse, by Kilian, and Oliver & Co. splits.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    I honestly don't think so...unless you're very rich. Look, there's no question it's an awesome scent, and that it is quite unique, but it's a little too pricey, and I don't see it as an extremely versatile scent. Get a decant of it, like me.

Unisex.

Buy it. Cause it is a diffirent vanille. And people around you will love it whenever you wear it. And of course, it is unisex.
    Last edited by chocolateguy; 31st August 2010 at 01:59 AM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Unisex. One of my favorite vanilla scents for its ease of wear. Very boozy vanilla, a little dry and not too sweet but not quite as smoky as I thought it could be. SDV is a totally different animal from Tobacco Vanille & Back to Black. My only gripe is it seems overpriced.

Another vote for unisex.

I love GSDV! To me it's unisex, there are lots of desginer fragrances for men more feminine than GSDV. It got a wonderful booziness and smokiness which I love, and of course the vanilla is beautiful too.

Anyone know where to actually get the real bottle? I just have some decants from TPC, I'd love to get the real bottle. I heard it's exclusive to some Guerlain boutiques, but is it REALLY impossible to order it online (no ebay please)?

Basenotes Institution

If you are a lover of vanilla prominent scents and/or Guerlain scents, you owe it to yourself to get a sample and try it. IMO, it's best experienced in cool crisp weather.

Quote Originally Posted by irrbloss View Post
    I heard it's exclusive to some Guerlain boutiques, but is it REALLY impossible to order it online (no ebay please)?
    Call Guerlain in Paris, they will ship!

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Call Guerlain in Paris, they will ship!
    Do they speak english, 'cause my french is nonexistent?

I believe they speak American. ;')
    Anyone know what movie that's from?

Quote Originally Posted by irrbloss View Post
    I love GSDV! To me it's unisex, there are lots of desginer fragrances for men more feminine than GSDV. It got a wonderful booziness and smokiness which I love, and of course the vanilla is beautiful too.

Anyone know where to actually get the real bottle? I just have some decants from TPC, I'd love to get the real bottle. I heard it's exclusive to some Guerlain boutiques, but is it REALLY impossible to order it online (no ebay please)?
    Neiman Marcus sell it online:
    http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...stid%253D12058

If they didn`t ship it to your countrie, you can use this service:
    http://www.shipito.com/

I`ve ordered mine through ebay. Sometimes a bottle shows up there.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Neiman Marcus sell it online:
    Thanks! They DO ship internationally, but you have to call.

Edit: Oh... Just need to know how to pronounce Spiritueuse. Otherwise I will end up as Inspector Clouseau ordering a "amburguer"... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLuc6rtWkrM)
    Last edited by irrbloss; 30th August 2010 at 04:52 PM.

Spee-ree-tyeuz
    The final vowel sound (which I've written "eu") is the only tricky part. Think "ir" as in bird, but keep your lips rounded and don't pronounce the "r"...
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I wanted to like SDV, but I can't get past something in it that reminds me of olive juice. What is going on there? Is my brain misinterpreting the cedar?

I'd call it unisex and not think twice about it. What's holding me back is the price; $250 for 75ml is mad spendy, but it's the best vanilla I've ever smelled, so it's got that going for it, which is nice.

yes, and sadly it comes with the world's cheapest and most tacky atomizer, the same you get from any decant supply store. it doesn't even have an overcap so the juice in the sprayer and diptube evaporate out and if even if you go a day or two without spraying you gotta prime the pump again. the bottle with the gold plate looks great but that screw on atomizer is so cheap and makes the presentation embarrassing imo. for 250 i expect better

Agree that the presentation could have been better.

I wear SDV on a frequent basis, and have never been questioned.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I love my super-macho powerhouses, but am also very comfortable with SDV. On my skin it develops into a long-lasting woody drydown that comes across more on the masculine side of the unisex scale.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I'm a guy who regularly wears Dior Homme, Midnight in Paris, and other "feminine-leaning" scents without hesitation, but I find SDV too sweet.

Tobacco Vanille renders this one obsolete to me

SDV is an excellent vanilla fragrance. It can be considered unisex, but very close to the feminine side. Mix in a small dash of leather, and you have Cuir Beluga. I love both.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

I am very interested in Cuir Beluga and will be getting a decant soon. Seems a lot of the private decant vendors have SDV but not many have Cuir Beluga or Tonka Imperiale, so I'm stuck paying the high prices of STC or TPC.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I am very interested in Cuir Beluga and will be getting a decant soon. Seems a lot of the private decant vendors have SDV but not many have Cuir Beluga or Tonka Imperiale, so I'm stuck paying the high prices of STC or TPC.
    I have all 3 and find Cuir Beluga to be the easiest to wear.

For these you're almost going to have to pay full retail unless you get in on a split.

i actually think Cuir Beluga smells almost nearly identical to Tonka Imperiale. those thierry wasser creations share a similar dna to my nose. SDV is pretty unique in the Guerlain lineup imo

I'm on my third bottle of SDV, two retails and one tester. That said. It's is madly overrated, overpriced and overhyped. For material factors it's the worst of the high-end Guerlains. Compared to the Derby/ALD type bottle or the newer exclusives with the old-fashioned puff style atomizer it seems really unimpressive. Shipping can be a nightmare too because all the packaging and boxing weighs a ton unless you get an unboxed tester. That said the testers have a superior atomizer in my opinion.

As for the juice well it's all subjective. However I really cannot see how it is worth close to $300 unless you're an absolute Guerlain vanilla fanatic. Even then I'd recommend Cologne du 68, unless the sillage is that important. Better vanillas exist. There is no doubt about that. Even Guerlain themselves have better vanillas. The boozy quality and sweetness makes me think of cheap, plastic-bottled imitation vanilla essence to be frank. That's a scent I love which carries a lot of good memories for me so I do enjoy it, but for others this may not be the case. Especially if what you're seeking is a natural, classy vanilla which screams high-end.

I would strongly recommend getting a decant or sample first. Especially if you've experienced niche-quality vanilla scents because it may well leave you flat.

As for whether or not it's unisex I'd say from a marketing standpoint Guerlain are on the money aiming it at women, but that doesn't mean it cannot be worn and enjoyed by men, nor does it mean men will get funny looks if they wear it.

I love Guerlain's Cologne du 68 but am not a big fan of SDV. Cologne du 68 is one of the most underrated frags IMO. It's like the forgotten Guerlain.

I find SDV to be unisex, not feminine. I prefer Tonka Imperiale, however.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

I adore SDV and absolutely love wearing it. It's totally unisex, as far as I smell.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Tonka Imperial is far better IMO... I wish I never sold my bottle!
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Noir de Noir
    4. Tonka Imperiale
    5. Musc Ravageur
    6. Bois d'argent
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Oud 1

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    Tobacco Vanille renders this one obsolete to me
    Not to me. The tobacco in TV makes it a very different smelling vanilla than SDV. But I can see where you might dig TV so much that you wouldn't considering wearing another vanilla frag.

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post
    i actually think Cuir Beluga smells almost nearly identical to Tonka Imperiale. those thierry wasser creations share a similar dna to my nose. SDV is pretty unique in the Guerlain lineup imo
    Disagree. To me they're nowhere near identical. Wasser made TI, Olivier Polge made CB. Only major similarity I see is they are both distinctly Guerlain.