Code of Conduct

Default byredo launch new fragrance

Swedish brand byredo will release a new fragrance this october called m/mink.

The new Eau de Parfum M/Mink is a collaborative effort between Stockholm based fragrance house Byredo and creative partnership M/M (Paris).We have been a big fan of Byredo for a while already an this is certainly an interesting creative mash up.

“In 2009, reversing the usual idea of receiving a brief from a client, they invited Ben Gorham of byredo to their studio in Paris and presented him a creative direction and concept — a block of solid ink purchased in Asia, a photograph showing a Japanese master practising his daily calligraphy, and a large utopian formula that Mathias drew on Korean traditional paper. Together with renowned perfumer Jérôme Epinette of robertet, Ben translated these three images into a fragrance. The result is a truly unusual and unique composition. Opening with adoxal, the heart consists of incense with a dry-down of patchouli leaf, clover honey and amber. m/mink eau de parfum is simple in structure but extreme in character.

To represent and promote m/mink, m/m (paris) are reusing existing images of photographers inez van lamsweerde & vinoodh matadin to develop a series of new artworks. They have together collabored intensively over the last 15 years on fashion campaigns for brands such as Balenciaga, Calvin Klein, Givenchy or Yohji Yamamoto…, as well as working in close collaboration with musician Björk.”

Look out for a release of the new perfume in October 2010 at colette and other premium retailers.

Default Re: byredo launch new fragrance

Thanks Sketchwars!

I will have to keep an eye out and go see what I can find on the subject concerning when and if it will be released in North America. It definitely sounds like something I would love to try

I learned the art of Sumi-e from my art dealer. He is Japanese and is a master in Calligraphy himself. I use rice paper for painting the Sumi ink on. It's very grounding and teaches the virtue of patience. It keeps one's mind present. It takes about 20-25 minutes just to mix the ink stick with water in order for it to be in a liquid base for it to be then used with the brush. The technique is hard to master but since I already do calligraphy, I thought I'd give it a try.

I look forward to seeing the images!
    " Nothing can be known - not even this..." - Carneades

I'm in the early stages of a love affair with fountain pens, dip pens and ink, so this makes me curious. Will definitely sample it as soon as I come across a bottle - so far I have liked everything, but not loved anything I've tried from Byredo.

Quote Originally Posted by sketchwars View Post
    We have been a big fan of Byredo for a while already an this is certainly an interesting creative mash up.
    Who is "we"?
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I'm thinking it might smell something like CDG2, but who knows, it might take a whole different approach to ink. I have no idea what adoxal smells like for instance.

PaulSC "we" is M/M. I copied their press release. I should have made that more clear, sorry.

This is one is odd. My first impression is that the saline aroma of Secretion Magnifiques joined the animalic musk of MKK, and with that strange marriage they tied up a sharp honey aroma, similar to the one found in Miel du Bois from Serge Lutens. It does smell like an animal, mixed with something dirtier and something sligthly honeyed, woody and spicy. It's more like a conceptual aroma i think, and it seems to match with the conceptual work of MM

I rather liked a perfunctory sniff on paper! I didn't get ink, though (not like Encre Noire or Or Black, which at times reminds me of magic markers!).
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    This is one is odd. My first impression is that the saline aroma of Secretion Magnifiques joined the animalic musk of MKK, and with that strange marriage they tied up a sharp honey aroma, similar to the one found in Miel du Bois from Serge Lutens. It does smell like an animal, mixed with something dirtier and something sligthly honeyed, woody and spicy. It's more like a conceptual aroma i think, and it seems to match with the conceptual work of MM
    I just blind bought this from colette! I have a feeling I will truly love this as I love all the components you mentioned. I love the ink in CDG 2 and Oud 27; the saltiness of SM (although I HATE the actual scent lol!); the musk in MKK; and the sharp honey of MdB. I will absolutely report back with my impressions!

extremely interesting and totally apart from the other Byredos ! Hard to describe this frag....For me no ink but a lot of minks and verrrrrry dirty musk ( little furry things runing and jumping into a crowd of camels resting together with their drives-MKK ) turning salty. The drydown seems too masculine and still no ink there.....

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    My first impression is that the saline aroma of Secretion Magnifiques joined the animalic musk of MKK, and with that strange marriage they tied up a sharp honey aroma, similar to the one found in Miel du Bois from Serge Lutens. It does smell like an animal, mixed with something dirtier and something sligthly honeyed, woody and spicy.
    This sounds quite interesting to me. And I agree with my horses that it sounds like something very different from the other Byredo fragrances. Can't wait to try it!

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    I just blind bought this from colette! I have a feeling I will truly love this as I love all the components you mentioned. I love the ink in CDG 2 and Oud 27; the saltiness of SM (although I HATE the actual scent lol!); the musk in MKK; and the sharp honey of MdB. I will absolutely report back with my impressions!
    Scent, it really goes on the same dirtier direction of Oud 27; the saline in m/mink less shocking than in SM. Is really something different from all the other byredos.

Quote Originally Posted by my horses View Post
    extremely interesting and totally apart from the other Byredos ! Hard to describe this frag....For me no ink but a lot of minks and verrrrrry dirty musk ( little furry things runing and jumping into a crowd of camels resting together with their drives-MKK ) turning salty. The drydown seems too masculine and still no ink there.....
    I didn't catch any ink too, on it's the same way you described, animal aroma, dirty musk, something salty, and a honey note. Maybe is this a conceptual ink? I don't know, but i never smelled any ink with an aroma similar to this.

Anyhow I expected something conceptual when reading about it, but for me is still very down to earth ( the animal is alive and I feel the breath). It seems to be the most animalic release in the last two years at least

I love this. Will have to do a few more wearings, but I see a bottle of M/Mink in my not too distant future. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous - this is what I hoped that CdG2, with it's ink note, would be! I get the ink, having smelled many different types of ink, but it's more like a tint note than an ink note to my nose. The honey is quite pronounced in the early stages, and the only thing that sweetens this otherwise very dry, stark and, yes, dirty fragrance.

Everyone at Barneys hated this scent. The only animal related scent I can detect is (it's a true story)...October in France, visiting her family who live outside of Beaune. Farming community, cows being herded through the streets. Cow poop anyone? So, you enter through the back, stone entryways that have been moped with ammonia. That's what it smells like. Yuck! It's whatever synthetic they're using. Other scents just smelled worthless, this is a bad joke! Just my opinion.

Well, more for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalynne View Post
    Everyone at Barneys hated this scent. The only animal related scent I can detect is (it's a true story)...October in France, visiting her family who live outside of Beaune. Farming community, cows being herded through the streets. Cow poop anyone? So, you enter through the back, stone entryways that have been moped with ammonia. That's what it smells like. Yuck! It's whatever synthetic they're using. Other scents just smelled worthless, this is a bad joke! Just my opinion.
    I agree with this! Ammonia and pine disinfectant. Unwearable.

I really like this one in the top to heart phase, but then it dries down to a nice, bland woody-incense that isn't my thing.