Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default YouTube reviewers and "fakes"

All right, I'm going to risk every youtube reviewer and every youtube fragrance review viewer's ire now and get called and dismissed as a "hater."

This thread idea isn't even really Basenotes's business either, because it's not something that is about the site or the site's membership, but of course the threads where youtube reviews are discussed here get lots of back and forth banter with new members called/calling hater and so forth. And many of said new members listing their favorite reviewers by first name and so forth. (I admit, I haven't seen all youtube reviews, but I've seen quite a few if not a lot of them.)

Here's what my problem with the the youtube reviews I've seen is: there's a lot of time spent talking about how the reviewer is sure his/her bottle of X fragrance isn't a fake. Sometimes such expert authority takes a minute, sometimes two minutes, sometimes that all works out to a sixth or even more of the full review's running time.

Hey reviewers, ask yourself: is the problem actually this large that it calls for this much thinking? Is the risk of a fake actually so large that I need to get my audience to think this much about it? Further, ask yourself: am I actually trying to make myself sound like a greater expert by spending so much time on minutia so that it sounds like I really know what I'm talking about?

Maybe I'm wrong, it won't be the first time, and I can think of other explanations, but I've seriously thought that youtube reviewers as a common trope discourse about the risk of "fakes" or "rumors" of them, about very common and frequent designer brands in particular (ones that really wouldn't make any faker any bank) just to sound to an audience like the reviewer must be an authority. It looks like hack and easy chops to make to establish a reviewer's credibility. And hell, there are rumors around everywhere--ten thousand rumors more than there are fakes--and no one can disprove a negative either right?

So come on, youtube reviewers, is this angst and doubt you're sowing in your viewers really what you want to give to people kind enough to look to you for your knowledge?

I'm not a hater, and let me anticipate any of the defenders who might want to post to this thread and stick up for their favorite reviewers. Watch the reviews, my friends and fellow youtube reviewer viewers, and thrive on the great thoughts and help that the reviewers give. I'm with you and want to party to the great institution of people thinking about fragrances just like you do. I'm only making a point about something I think is unhelpful. Tell me that I should shut up and make my own reviews if I don't like theirs, go ahead. But the youtube reviewers are adults or engaged in a thoughtful and provoking adult like activity and therefore the youtube reviewers ought to be able to take a thought and evaluate themselves accordingly as they see fit. Youtube reviewers, by the way they use their minds to review, show they've got the mind power to be able to evaluate themselves and think about whether someone else might have a point about their work. If anyone wants to take what I've said as sounding off about a small detail in a review he or she will be right, it is a very small detail in the youtube reviews. If anyone wants to write me off as a jerk for saying something, well, he or she won't be the first.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: YouTube reviewers and "fakes"

Who specifically spends too much time talking about how their bottle is fake? I know Marc shows people where the serial numbers are on each bottle so they can tell if their bottle is fake or not, but that lasts no more than 20 seconds or so and can be quite helpful. I can't say I recall anyone repeatedly spending a lot of time talking about how their bottle isn't fake.

You're just hating man, such a bitter little kid you are, if you think you can do a better job just buy a cam. Youtube reviewers are not perfect but they're very helpful and you should give them credit for that.

But seriously though. I do agree with you among other things. Youtube reviewers do waste a lot of time talking about pointless things, but hey people enjoy watching them and I already got crap for my constructive criticism, usually in the tone of "youtube reviewers are helpful to me, if you don't like them don't watch them."

Really, do reviewers think fakes is such a huge problem, or do they think their viewers are so dumb that they can't do the immensely complex procedure of locating a serial number or the bar code? Come on guys, I know reviewers don't think of it that way, but it is certainly insulting to one's intelligence if people have to point out something like that to you in every video. Here's a tip: 99% of the time it's on the bottom side of the bottle. I know it's somewhat hard to find on something like burberry london.

You're definitely right about trying to get the illusion of creditability, by making an incredibly obvious statement, that is extremely insignificant for most perfumes since they're rarely faked. Oh well, enough people already hate me on youtube and even here so what's the point...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Here's what my problem with the the youtube reviews I've seen is: there's a lot of time spent talking about how the reviewer is sure his/her bottle of X fragrance isn't a fake. Sometimes such expert authority takes a minute, sometimes two minutes, sometimes that all works out to a sixth or even more of the full review's running time.
    Get out more.

Post Thanks / Like

What the OP said.

Damn it, scammers fake Rolex and Omega, not Casio...

Post Thanks / Like

Man alive, did I nail their vernacular or what?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    Who specifically spends too much time talking about how their bottle is fake? I know Marc shows people where the serial numbers are on each bottle so they can tell if their bottle is fake or not, but that lasts no more than 20 seconds or so and can be quite helpful. I can't say I recall anyone repeatedly spending a lot of time talking about how their bottle isn't fake.
    Every fake I have seen has a serial number. Pointing out a number on the bottom of a bottle hardly authenticates a bottle or constitutes expertise.
    Last edited by Scentapede; 17th January 2011 at 12:40 AM.
    UP FOR SWAP: UNGARO 1. *Willing to ship first. I am looking for Montale, CdG Avignon, or Bois des Iles. Open to all suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentapede View Post
    Every fake I have seen has a serial number. Pointing out a number on the bottom of a bottle hardly authenticates a bottle or constitutes expertise.
    you little.....

You just gave fake bottle makers a fantastic idea. All they needed after their ability to duplicate the Bottle, box and the juice is the idea and ability to write a few random numbers on the bottom. Goddamn man, I blame you if fakes start overflowing the market.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, the cat is out of the bag now, damn it!
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

As a reviewer I will try to answer this the best I can. Since my reviews are probably the longest from any reviewer on youtube and I do what you feel is something I should not be mentioning my videos.

This is one feature I added lately to my videos (if you check my earlier work I was not mentioning codes) which I added for the viewer. I would say I used to get mail on almost every review I used to do about codes , where to find them how to know if it's fake or not. So to downsize the clutter in my mailbox and to appease most of my viewers I added this feature which takes perhaps at the most 20-40 seconds and believe it or not but it helps some people. Do I feel this is a must in my videos ? No not at all , specially when I am reviewing Adidas Moves etc... but I try to help as many people as I can with any information.

I have added three or four features on my videos (such as how many sprays I use and where I spray them, showing the codes) for the viewers which I felt would not help them but after getting mail and requests to add them to my videos I believe that this does help some people.

I think anyone can find a code on a bottle if they are looking for it , but if there is a demand on my channel for it, I will spend the time to show people where it is.

I try to give as much information on my videos as I can, so once the video is over the viewer has no questions at all about that fragrance once they are done my video.

Hope this helps you to see where I am coming from DustB.
    My very own blog : http://thefragranceguru.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Robes08 View Post
    As a reviewer I will try to answer this the best I can. Since my reviews are probably the longest from any reviewer on youtube and I do what you feel is something I should not be mentioning my videos.

This is one feature I added lately to my videos (if you check my earlier work I was not mentioning codes) which I added for the viewer. I would say I used to get mail on almost every review I used to do about codes , where to find them how to know if it's fake or not. So to downsize the clutter in my mailbox and to appease most of my viewers I added this feature which takes perhaps at the most 20-40 seconds and believe it or not but it helps some people. Do I feel this is a must in my videos ? No not at all , specially when I am reviewing Adidas Moves etc... but I try to help as many people as I can with any information.

I have added three or four features on my videos (such as how many sprays I use and where I spray them, showing the codes) for the viewers which I felt would not help them but after getting mail and requests to add them to my videos I believe that this does help some people.

I think anyone can find a code on a bottle if they are looking for it , but if there is a demand on my channel for it, I will spend the time to show people where it is.

I try to give as much information on my videos as I can, so once the video is over the viewer has no questions at all about that fragrance once they are done my video.

Marc, with all due respect, just because some of your reviewers are requesting something, it does not mean you have to do it. 20-40 seconds of your videos isn't much but it adds up. And from your post you do seem to agree it's ridiculously pointless to mention where to find the serial numbers because it does not require a genius to do so. It's not helpful, because 1. It's easy to do 2. you can't do it BEFORE you buy the bottle 3. it's not an incredibly difficult task for the fake bottles manufacturer to fake a serial number.

I don't want to sound offensive, but honestly people who ask that much about fakes are paranoid and too lazy to do very simple research. That's the nicest way for me to say it, but I'm sure you know the exact word I'm thinking of to describe them.

Ekove you know as much as I do, this also happens on this board too. Tons of new posts or threads are made in basenotes about authentic bottles daily. This is easy to moderate with dozen of moderators on a board and hundreds or thousands of fragheads to help someone out. That 20-40 seconds saves me 5-10 minutes in responding to e-mails after I do a new video. Do I think it's pointless to show the codes on a bottle of Adidas moves ? yes I sure do , but I will do it because that is what is in demand and all I ask my viewers that know better is to either watch the 20 seconds or to FF that part of the video.
    My very own blog : http://thefragranceguru.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If it smells good and you got it from a good source, then it's the real thing.

Now, if there's a review bashing a fragrance and maybe a person wants to add that theirs is real, then yes, it's not too bad.

I agree with you though, DustB. Most people, when watching a fragrance review video, don't think about this, bringing this up would be kind of like bringing up "Are my kids really MY kids?" or something else. As long as in your review you can describe the scent accurately to what everyone else smells it as, then I see no need to mention if the fragrance is legitimate.
    Last edited by Grottola; 17th January 2011 at 01:25 AM.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No such thing as fakes unless we're talking top sellers. It drives me insane when people claim fakes of like friggin Montales or diptyque. There's such paranoia "ohhh it doesnt smell the same as the sample I had a few years ago, it smelled fresher back then..." Yeah cause the people who fake bottles are totally gunna go after fragrances that are purchased maybe 500x a year... I can understand Le Males, ADG, Code, but when people are claiming whether their Rochas Man, Serge Lutens, or Bond? Come on, stop being paranoid. I've had cereal, toothpastes, shampoo, candy all taste, feel, smell, etc. way different from the last time i used it. It's called different batches, there's variations, there's formula changes, but just because there's less lemon in the opening doesn't mean it's a fake. Sorry about the rant, but it pisses me off so much how many threads I see about some obscure fragrance being a fake. Different batches people, different batches...

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    No such thing as fakes unless we're talking top sellers. It drives me insane when people claim fakes of like friggin Montales or diptyque. There's such paranoia "ohhh it doesnt smell the same as the sample I had a few years ago, it smelled fresher back then..." Yeah cause the people who fake bottles are totally gunna go after fragrances that are purchased maybe 500x a year... I can understand Le Males, ADG, Code, but when people are claiming whether their Rochas Man, Serge Lutens, or Bond? Come on, stop being paranoid. I've had cereal, toothpastes, shampoo, candy all taste, feel, smell, etc. way different from the last time i used it. It's called different batches, there's variations, there's formula changes, but just because there's less lemon in the opening doesn't mean it's a fake. Sorry about the rant, but it pisses me off so much how many threads I see about some obscure fragrance being a fake. Different batches people, different batches...
    different batches? That's outrageous my good sir!

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't bother me if they take 15 seconds in video review to show where the serial numbers are located. If you don't like it, then just don't watch them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    you little.....

You just gave fake bottle makers a fantastic idea. All they needed after their ability to duplicate the Bottle, box and the juice is the idea and ability to write a few random numbers on the bottom. Goddamn man, I blame you if fakes start overflowing the market.
    LMAO

There are many reasons that I have little interest in viewing youtube reviews. Most importantly, the reviews and discussions here on Basenotes tend to be more detailed, intelligent, knowledgeable, thorough and entertaining than anything I have yet seen online.
    Most of the reviewers spend time reviewing fragrances that I can easily just go to the mall and test myself. If a Youtube reviewer wants to get my attention, try reviewing something esoteric and interesting. I would love to see a male reviewer do a series on feminine marketed fragrances, or weird Italian perfume houses, or Middle Eastern Ouds or something.

DustB, I am with you on your whole post.
    Neurosis makes great points as well.

I don't mean to come off as a jerk or whatever. I think that the idea of Youtube fragrance reviews has tremendous potential. I would love to see fragrance become a more mainstream topic, especially masculines. But it would take someone with a lot of charisma (distinctly lacking in the reviews I have seen), some production values (even minimal would be a welcome change) and interesting topics.

My 2 cents only.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

At the risk of shedding light instead of heat, let me suggest something very useful which video reviewers could do - and for which video is the perfect medium.

Why not expose some real fakes? Go to shadytown, and have a bud camcord the buy. Or buy a bottle of that $60 GIT on the 'Bay and show off the screen captures of the dubious seller. Then do some side-by-side video comparisons of the bottles, the caps, the boxes, and ESPECIALLY the juice. What notes are different? Which ones are missing? How good is the fake?

What I'm saying is do a little research and then turn THE PEOPLE'S CAMERAS on the bad guys. And as motivation, let me offer that not only would you be doing a whole lot of good in general, but that a well-researched and well-presented video (i.e., razor-sharp camera focus, etc.) would probably garner a TON of views, and might even get featured somewhere.

Just sayin'.....

PS - Just one word of advice. Be damn sure it's a fake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    ... I have little interest in viewing youtube reviews...
    ...it would take someone with a lot of charisma (distinctly lacking in the reviews I have seen), some production values (even minimal would be a welcome change) and interesting topics.
    -Slim
    +1

I've yet to see any compelling youtube reviews of frags, but that's a general observation. Information and helpful tips on how to spot if my 100 dollar perfume investment is authentic wouldn't help maintain my interest for too long either

Perhaps I'm an anachronistic dinosaur that's partial to the written form, or it could be that if I want to discuss fragrance it's not at the "production batch serial number" level.

** EDIT: Hey Red! Your ideas are very "left field"
    Last edited by jathanas; 17th January 2011 at 04:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    ** EDIT: Hey Red! Your ideas are very "left field"
    LOL! Yeah, seems like those prairie populist roots get the best of me quite often!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't mean to come off as a jerk or whatever. I think that the idea of Youtube fragrance reviews has tremendous potential. I would love to see fragrance become a more mainstream topic, especially masculines. But it would take someone with a lot of charisma (distinctly lacking in the reviews I have seen), some production values (even minimal would be a welcome change) and interesting topics.
    -Slim
    I've tossed around the idea of doing video stuff, either for the Scent of the Year experiment or Basenotes March Madness. I briefly considered video reviews, but came to the conclusion that I don't terribly see the point. One, it does me no better service than reading a review, which I can absorb faster than the subject could intelligibly talk. There is no visual element that is better served by a video than a simple image. Two, we are blessed with a lot of very talented writers, who can put pen to paper and create an image clearer and unequivocally better than a camera-shy twenty-something with a propensity to ad-lib can do in High Definition. Three, a review shouldn't be about the reviewer, it should be about the fragrance (and occasionally connected anecdotally to the reviewer). This is nigh impossible in a video format. Perhaps I should care about your mascot dog, but I do not.

That said, I would absolutely watch something in the style of a documentary, chronicling the history of fragrance or even a particular house, or if there's enough meat on it, even one single fragrance. Or a certain process, the lavender fields of France, the rose harvest in Bulgaria, the distillation of oud from wood. Fascinating, and well served by video. Eight minutes of my time on a review that might make a paragraph or two on paper? No thank you.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Post Thanks / Like

Slim has got it nailed.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

so many pointless discussions.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Post Thanks / Like

Slim pwned the youtube reviewers with the exception of Katie Puckrik. So true. Whats the point in posting reviews of generic craps ? At least review something interesting.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Post Thanks / Like

But it would take someone with a lot of charisma (distinctly lacking in the reviews I have seen), .

-Slim
    This Aussie oozes an aura.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    Slim pwned the youtube reviewers with the exception of Katie Puckrik. So true. Whats the point in posting reviews of generic craps ? At least review something interesting.
    Because they're not catering to the interests of people like you. God forbid someone actually wants to hear something about fragrances that you don't enjoy. You have the right to not enjoy them, and not watch the videos, but they have the right to be interested without being ostracized and labeled by you or someone else as irrelevant or worthless. Get off your throne.

Post Thanks / Like

Because they're not catering to the interests of people like you. God forbid someone actually wants to hear something about fragrances that you don't enjoy. You have the right to not enjoy them, and not watch the videos, but they have the right to be interested without being ostracized and labeled by you or someone else as irrelevant or worthless. Get off your throne.
    Oh Fitch, leave off. The guy said what his opinion is and why the video reviews don't appeal to him. He effectively started his constructions making it clear they were HIS thoughts. And he didn't say the problem was they reviewed scents he doesn't enjoy, he said the problem was they reviewed scents he could go down and smell himself. Leave off the personal attack, pretending he's saying he's a social better since he's got a thought. He doesn't get a throne because he's got thoughts and he's not thinking in order to get a throne.

Maybe I'll be unfair here and maybe I'm setting too high a standard, but if I were a youtube reviewer to whom Slim's critique applies I would post in reply to you to give the guy some space too, that Slim has his thought and you and I don't need to agree with it, but that I as a reviewer could understand someone thinking about and reacting to my work, and I could even welcome it. If I were a reviewer I'd tell you that I can handle what people say about my work and that I can and will make my own decisions about whether I agree or disagree with such comments about my work.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone like DustB knows a lot more than most, especially you in this case. We have high standards, unlike some people (some are really knowledgable, unfortunately most dont). So go and praise ur "youtube reviewers", dont forget to get a real sofisticated life too.

@DustB: Respect for bringing this problem up. I believe most veteran members feel the same.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

The only style of YT review I like it is the short, punchy but with accurate descriptions. That goes for the written word too. I don't think that you need a 2000 word essay or 10 minute video on a scent to review it effectively. Unless you are massively charismatic and good at keeping peoples interest, it's gonna be hard to pull that off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Oh Fitch, leave off. The guy said what his opinion is and why the video reviews don't appeal to him. He effectively started his constructions making it clear they were HIS thoughts. And he didn't say the problem was they reviewed scents he doesn't enjoy, he said the problem was they reviewed scents he could go down and smell himself. Leave off the personal attack, pretending he's saying he's a social better since he's got a thought. He doesn't get a throne because he's got thoughts and he's not thinking in order to get a throne.

Maybe I'll be unfair here and maybe I'm setting too high a standard, but if I were a youtube reviewer to whom Slim's critique applies I would post in reply to you to give the guy some space too, that Slim has his thought and you and I don't need to agree with it, but that I as a reviewer could understand someone thinking about and reacting to my work, and I could even welcome it. If I were a reviewer I'd tell you that I can handle what people say about my work and that I can and will make my own decisions about whether I agree or disagree with such comments about my work.
    Dustb I don't think fitch was having a dig at Slim.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Slim made a good point. No real need to get all defensive. Robes08 handled himself well. But everyone has his preferred style of learning. YouTube clearly appeals to those who enjoy listening, or watching others talk, more than they do with reading. They are willing to spend the 7-10 minutes it takes to watch a review that could probably be summed up in 2 paragraphs requiring less than a minute to read. It's their choice. Nothing wrong with that.

Personally I find videos distracting in the sense that whatever's discussed about the fragrance is often overshadowed by the reviewer's odd mannerisms, poor enunciations or a general lack of visual presence/charisma. YouTube is after all a visual medium - and it inadvertently places the reviewer under the spotlight instead of the fragrance under review. Try watching Chandler Burr talking about scents and you'll understand what I mean by visual presence.

I don't see what all the fuss is about this, I mean if you don't want to listen about bottle design talk just skip ahead to the parts you want to hear about. I do that a lot of times when I watch youtube videos. I watch a lot of the reviews on youtube just because I find other peoples opinions on a fragrance interesting and like to compare different noses to my own. I also agree with people showing off bottle design/serial code...imo a fragrance review should cover every aspect of that fragrance and design/serial code certainly falls into the category of every aspect. And since these people are taking time out of their own lives to post videos like this I don't feel I am in any kind of position to complain since I watch them for free.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 24 years of age and honestly some of you are seriously not worth my time. Neither is this thread....

About fakes.... I have received many and sent them straight back(the ones that I did not buy retail that is) and never did a review until I received the proper legit fragrance.

Besides that the thread started off one way then brought out the bashers that made me not say a word on this forum for over a year. I do YouTube reviews to give my 2 cents to others out there that just wanted to hear ANYBODIES thoughts to help them out in any way. <----- That's why I'm there and for no other reason.

It’s a shame adults in this world act this way when people just want to help. Evaluate yourselves....
    My Youtube Review Channel: www.youtube.com/cutlasssupremesl

I've watched many Youtube fragrance reviews over the past couple years, and I haven't noticed what you are describing to be much of an issue at all.

I received fake bottles of Dior Homme Intense and Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin.
    It is surprising to me that they would fake those two fragrances and yet they did.
    I have bought these bottles online (on marktplaats.nl. This site is like ebay) but the seller won't refund my money.
    So fakes are a huge problem.
    This has been a good lesson for me though, no more marktplaats or ebay for me.

I tend to do most of my Youtube reviews from samples and minis, so hopefully, I can nip the forgers in the bud. However, I do try to mention the source of full size bottles, and let the viewer make their own decision about the authenticity. However, samples can smell off as well, and outdated frags can pose an equally challanging dilemma to reviewers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CutlassSupremeSL View Post
    I'm 24 years of age and honestly some of you are seriously not worth my time. Neither is this thread....

About fakes.... I have received many and sent them straight back(the ones that I did not buy retail that is) and never did a review until I received the proper legit fragrance.

Besides that the thread started off one way then brought out the bashers that made me not say a word on this forum for over a year. I do YouTube reviews to give my 2 cents to others out there that just wanted to hear ANYBODIES thoughts to help them out in any way. <----- That's why I'm there and for no other reason.

It’s a shame adults in this world act this way when people just want to help. Evaluate yourselves....
    No offense, but I think you are taking yourself way too seriously. If you hold yourself out in a public forum, ie., Youtube, then be prepared to receive criticisms. You may not like those criticisms, as is the case here, but you need to take them with a grain of salt. I think DustB and others have a valid point and please note too that none of these individuals said anything personal about any reviewer, rather they simply stated what they liked and did not like about Youtube. Bottom line, if you want to be in the public eye you are going to need to take criticisms as an adult would and not dismiss criticisms and make excuses like people are "not worth [your] time." On the other hand, I think Marc handled himself pretty well and addressed his criticisms in a well spoken and adult like manner, whether people agree with him is a different issue.
    UP FOR SWAP: UNGARO 1. *Willing to ship first. I am looking for Montale, CdG Avignon, or Bois des Iles. Open to all suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
    It is surprising to me that they would fake those two fragrances and yet they did.
    I have bought these bottles online (on marktplaats.nl. This site is like ebay) but the seller won't refund my money.
    Well the point I'm tring to make, and I believe the same point the OP and other posters are trying to make is; Not only fakes are an uncommon problem, and it's easy to find a serial number, it still doesn't help to avoid fakes by knowing the serial number. So mentioning them won't hekp you avoid more fakes.

This entire thread is directed at reviewers taking 20 seconds out of a video to say where the serial code is on the bottle, and if it is in fact an authentic bottle. If 20 seconds is really that precious to you, then why even turn on the video? They give that information to help others. Most people that watch the videos are most likely new to fragrance and are trying to learn, and that's what the reviewers are there for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I hear you, Nexus6. The fact is, people fake for volume, not unit price - at least at the manufacturing end. Scan the news for intercepted counterfeits, and you won't find any niche among the cargo. Kenzo? Why Kenzo? Mainstream, but not available everywhere. There seems to be a sweet spot for fakes - the harder-to-find designer that can be moved online and overseas, with eager buyers and shady sellers.

PS - Cutlass - don't leave us. Video is the future, and this place will turn into a retirement home without you guys. We may sit on our text horses and look down at you early adopters cranking your video cars in the mud, but eventually the roads will be there, and we'll be on our happy trails. Google didn't buy YouTube for old time's sake. The written word will never die, but the spoken word won't rise up to meet it again without effort. Actual effort.

"Aye. The opening be a bit peppery, despite a dash of citrus - you know - in that old 20th century pyramidal way."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I honestly think some people are just bitter that their (insert extremely obscure fragrance here) will never get reviewed. Just saying...

You see the same thing with music. There's the people who listen to really mainstream music and have no clue what the hell they're talking about; in a complete contrast there's the people who listen to the most obscure jazz bands and know alot...but they're extraordinarily arrogant about it and "snobs." Then there's the middle of the road people who just enjoy whatever music they enjoy and really don't give a damn what other people think. I think we should all strive for the middle road where it's alot more positive discussion as opposed to childish responses covered with false intellect. I'm not pointing any fingers here specifically, I'm really not, I just see that happen sometimes and it makes me...

Quote Originally Posted by GangstaGage6 View Post
    This entire thread is directed at reviewers taking 20 seconds out of a video to say where the serial code is on the bottle, and if it is in fact an authentic bottle. If 20 seconds is really that precious to you, then why even turn on the video? They give that information to help others. Most people that watch the videos are most likely new to fragrance and are trying to learn, and that's what the reviewers are there for.
    I don't believe so sir, It's not about 20 seconds, it's about 20 seconds in every video. And no it's not about anybody precious time, it's about something that is redundant. Imagine if in a basketball match, the referee had to inspect the ball for 2 minutes to make sure it's in adequate condition, in front of the cameras and everyone. It won't hurt anyone, and you could argue that if you don't want to watch that just go to the washroom or get a sandwich. But it's simply redundant and unnecessary to show.

I raise the same question to you again: Do you have difficulty locating the serial number of a fragrance? I know there are exceptions of weirdly placed serial number, but I'm speaking in general.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Most of the reviewers spend time reviewing fragrances that I can easily just go to the mall and test myself. If a Youtube reviewer wants to get my attention, try reviewing something esoteric and interesting. I would love to see a male reviewer do a series on feminine marketed fragrances, or weird Italian perfume houses, or Middle Eastern Ouds or something.

-Slim
    I agree - this has the greatest chance for deepening the penetration of video into the fragrance community. Indeed, some of the more interesting videos have been the "unique" scents like Secretions Magnifique - despite their debatable analysis value in that particular case.

As the video generation gets deeper into the fragrance experience, they will bring their webcams to niche, I am most confident. I'm looking forward to that very much. It's fertile ground.

PS - great discussion, I have to say. Thanks, DustB!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scentapede View Post
    No offense, but I think you are taking yourself way too seriously. If you hold yourself out in a public forum, ie., Youtube, then be prepared to receive criticisms. You may not like those criticisms, as is the case here, but you need to take them with a grain of salt. I think DustB and others have a valid point and please note too that none of these individuals said anything personal about any reviewer, rather they simply stated what they liked and did not like about Youtube. Bottom line, if you want to be in the public eye you are going to need to take criticisms as an adult would and not dismiss criticisms and make excuses like people are "not worth [your] time." On the other hand, I think Marc handled himself pretty well and addressed his criticisms in a well spoken and adult like manner, whether people agree with him is a different issue.
    Taking myself too serious!? Really!? How about the point of this thread was about fakes but yet it brought out plenty of people that ignored that to give criticism.... I thought there were plenty of threads like that on this forum to continue that on. I answered the OP post in my last response. And don't lecture me on putting myself out in the open believe me I know that and receive way more than you think on a daily basis.
    My Youtube Review Channel: www.youtube.com/cutlasssupremesl

I don't believe so sir, It's not about 20 seconds, it's about 20 seconds in every video. And no it's not about anybody precious time, it's about something that is redundant. Imagine if in a basketball match, the referee had to inspect the ball for 2 minutes to make sure it's in adequate condition, in front of the cameras and everyone. It won't hurt anyone, and you could argue that if you don't want to watch that just go to the washroom or get a sandwich. But it's simply redundant and unnecessary to show.

I raise the same question to you again: Do you have difficulty locating the serial number of a fragrance? I know there are exceptions of weirdly placed serial number, but I'm speaking in general.
    Yes it may be unnecessary to us, but it isn't to those who are just beginning their fragrance journey. And yes, basketball referees do check and make sure that the balls used for that game are up to standard. They may not check them on camera (because it is live TV) but they do check them. I just don't see the argument coming from people that don't do reviews. You have heard from many people that they do their reviews to help people out, and if they can take 20 seconds out of a video to side step having to take 5 minutes to write a response to an email it would be well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by GangstaGage6 View Post
    Yes it may be unnecessary to us, but it isn't to those who are just beginning their fragrance journey. And yes, basketball referees do check and make sure that the balls used for that game are up to standard. They may not check them on camera (because it is live TV) but they do check them. I just don't see the argument coming from people that don't do reviews. You have heard from many people that they do their reviews to help people out, and if they can take 20 seconds out of a video to side step having to take 5 minutes to write a response to an email it would be well worth it.
    Of course the ball has to inspected before the game. But I'm specifically saying inspected infront of viewers. Oh and let's not forget having to show the serial number of the ball to the viewers, or else they're going to make complaints about their team losing due to a malfunctioning ball.

I understand what the reviewers are doing and why. The thing is, they don't have to reply to those guys, or just make one video to answer them all. They're making a big deal out of fakes, when they have almost the exact same ability to detect one as their viewers do so the whole thing is pointless. I know there are serious exceptions of very well done fakes, but they're making it sound to us with a reasonable level of common sense and knowledge that every fragrance is at a huge risk of being faked.

But let's put that aside, and let me ask you as a viewer yourself; Do you really need them to point out where the serial number is, and how an authentic bottle should look like, in every video? Or you really think those people who apparently have difficulty locating a serial number or googling what an authentic bottle should look like, really desperately need such assistance?

Of course the ball has to inspected before the game. But I'm specifically saying inspected infront of viewers. Oh and let's not forget having to show the serial number of the ball to the viewers, or else they're going to make complaints about their team losing due to a malfunctioning ball.

I understand what the reviewers are doing and why. The thing is, they don't have to reply to those guys, or just make one video to answer them all. They're making a big deal out of fakes, when they have almost the exact same ability to detect one as their viewers do so the whole thing is pointless. I know there are serious exceptions of very well done fakes, but they're making it sound to us with a reasonable level of common sense and knowledge that every fragrance is at a huge risk of being faked.

But let's put that aside, and let me ask you as a viewer yourself; Do you really need them to point out where the serial number is, and how an authentic bottle should look like, in every video? Or you really think those people who apparently have difficulty locating a serial number or googling what an authentic bottle should look like, really desperately need such assistance?
    No, they don't need to respond to those viewers who are wondering where the serial number is, but, if they don't who are they helping then? I guarantee you for every review that is done there is one viewer wondering where the serial number is or if they have an authentic bottle. I'm sure if they can help one person they feel that they are doing their job.

As a viewer I don't need them to show me where the serial number is on the bottle. But who am I to talk for others? I don't know who needs help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    I've watched many Youtube fragrance reviews over the past couple years, and I haven't noticed what you are describing to be much of an issue at all.
    Chasing the Dragon, thanks very much for your thoughtful comment and observation. It’s truly a pleasure to talk with you about scents on the forum and always has been.

Fitch, I’m glad you bring up what you do because I think it will help me get to more of what I really mean about the issue I raise in the first post. I group your post with CtD’s because you’re both suggesting the problem isn’t as big as I’ve suggested.

Maybe I haven’t seen as many of the videos as you have, you’re certainly right. Maybe there are reviewers who don’t think fakes are an issue and thus don’t mention them or the issue. Maybe we’ve seen different videos, and maybe my minute count is off. This last sure could be, since I’m going on a history of impressions left by watching quite a few youtube videos and I didn’t keep notes on times between lines. So in measure, maybe you’re right, but I think you see a tree instead of the forest.

This twenty-second thing and the serial number has come off in this thread like the issue, but no where in my original post have I mentioned it or said it’s what I’m talking about. But it looks like gospel looking over the thread. Fussing about serial numbers is one thing, but I also mean all the discussions the youtube reviewers make about what the bottle looks like, what the cap looks like and what color it is (this while the bottle is held to the camera too) what’s the inside of the cap like, maybe what and where the seal is, where the logos are, where the bottom of the bottle is, and the same thing sometimes with the box. All this is indirectly if not directly, testimony to what a “real one” looks like. All this is commentary about the false ghost of the “fakes.” All this informs the viewer of what a “real” fragrance enthusiast examines and evaluates. This is making much of “fakes” and the issue of them.

Fitch and to some lesser extend CtD, you guys look to be concerned that I am exaggerating my point about the time devoted to discerning fakes. Exaggeration is indeed the issue here, because I think this fixation of youtube reviewers exaggerates a false ghost. I hear you and take your correction about the amount of time that reviewers might devote to fakes, but hear me that we’re calling out the same thing: exaggeration of a false ghost.

Ekove you know as much as I do, this also happens on this board too. Tons of new posts or threads are made in basenotes about authentic bottles daily. This is easy to moderate with dozen of moderators on a board and hundreds or thousands of fragheads to help someone out. That 20-40 seconds saves me 5-10 minutes in responding to e-mails after I do a new video. Do I think it's pointless to show the codes on a bottle of Adidas moves ? yes I sure do , but I will do it because that is what is in demand and all I ask my viewers that know better is to either watch the 20 seconds or to FF that part of the video.
    Marc, I’ve liked your work and I know you care very much about it. I respect you no end for engaging in a discussion of the ideas we’re talking about now rather than personalities or attacks. It feels like people can make progress when they keep talking about the issues they raise together rather than personalities. So, foremost, whether we end up agreeing or not, it is a joy to be able to meet minds with you about something we care about.

About trying to save yourself and your viewers time, I hear you. No fun to have to reply to the issue of fakes ten-plus times a day or review. Certainly something to try to avoid. You can no doubt think of another way, and Ekove has put up a couple already: be the first in your community to make a video about the issue of fakes and the issue of fear of them. Maybe put a disclaimer in your reviews that says “Hey, I don’t know if yours is fake and if you email me with questions about fakes I won’t reply. Dude’s gotta use his time outdoors hunting tail and all.” Furthermore, just tell the truth. You’re a guy getting your stuff online probably from one of the two-dozen or so online selling outlets, and you’re probably looking for as much of a deal as viewers are. You’re probably pretty confident yours isn’t fake because there’s not much bank to make by faking Cartier Roadster, or whatever. And you can tell viewers you don’t know if theirs is a fake because you can’t smell it. The truth is you know yours isn’t a fake because, as you and I already take for granted, it just plain probably isn’t. It’s very unlikely that what you got is a fake. (Ultimately that’s my whole point. That the youtube reviewers’s method ignores this fact--that it’s finally very unlikely that what you got is a fake.)

Now, onto why I make this issue the subject of a thread when, as so many have told me I should fast forward through such “fakes” relevant material or just ignore youtube reviews if I don’t like them.

Marc, in some way you’re only a stand in for this issue because you’ve had the presence of mind and the guts to post here and engage in a discussion of what you do. So in some measure what I say applies to you and in some measure it doesn’t--it applies to other reviewers who like having the false ghost in the review with them. So don’t feel singled out, Marc, I’m talking with you about this because it’s convenient to discuss the principle, and I’m not attacking you.

Marc (and reviewers) you’re publishing. You’re putting something up there to communicate to a mass audience. That calls for a responsibility. That calls for not suggesting false things and false worries. In this case it means not being irresponsible with suggestion to viewers. Truth is what people who publish concern themselves with (criticism is opinion, and reviews are naturally opinion and not truth, but whether the concern for fakes is exaggerated or not, indeed, truth comes into play because you don’t want to exaggerate things to the point of falsehood) and you naturally want to avoid injecting, fostering, and certainly legitimizing a false understanding of things. Reviewers don’t and shouldn’t want to worship a false ghost.

You want to help your viewers of course and that’s naturally something to have praised. But you should help your reviewers by lessening their fears and paranoia about a false ghost. I could just not watch your reviews, Marc, so I wouldn’t have to see the respect paid to the false ghost, or I could fast forward through them. I could just stick my nose right out of it. But I think instead you should not be carelessly serving the entire community with exaggeration of a problem. My point is simple: reviewers shouldn’t pass false information, false worries, and, ultimately, falsehoods. I could just ignore it by not looking at what you publish, but I just don’t think that responsible publishers should put irresponsible things into their recitation.

Marc, I thank you again for being present to think about this with me. I assure you that, whether or not we agree, and whether I think your choice bad or not, I have sincere and greatest respect for you for engaging in this discussion. In my opinion you only increase your stature.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Dustb I don't think fitch was having a dig at Slim.
    Ouch. Then I owe Fitch an apology. I missed the mark, Fitch, and saw something else. Sorry about that. But if anyone’s comments here have gotten a throne from you, well by damn I want at least a Rolls-Royce from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post

Gents, we’ll have to disagree because my experience smelling fragrances and buying a lot of them is just plain not borne out in your suggestions of the prevalence of fakes. I read your comments on this thread and I see youtube reviewers with their direct and indirect talk about fakes and I get the impression that fake fragrances labs are at least as common as meth labs if not corner pharmacies. Maybe you should just slam your fists on the desk and yell “fakes are true!” because of me, but gentlemen, I just don’t buy it. I think it’s exaggerated. I’m not saying it’s impossible or cannot exist, I’m saying the fussing and worrying over it is in too large a measure to what the issue deserves.

I think it is irresponsible to suggest this false ghost is stalking, especially to those who are newly interested in fragrances and thus seeking out youtube reviews.

I’ve typed this quickly. There are spelling and grammar mistakes for sure, as well as things poorly explained and worded. I’m sorry about that.
    Last edited by DustB; 17th January 2011 at 10:25 PM.

No need for any youtube reviewers to give out an explanation. They have their followers and they have subscribed to their channels for a reason. You may not agree with things they say and maybe your nose is better than theirs BUT so what? Mind your own business dude, seriously.. there's no need to try and bring them down even if to your eyes they don't deserve to be looked up upon. Not everyone wants to read a page long review on a fragrances these days, it's like you are saying why make a movie when you can just read the book, since everyone here can agree that the books are always better than the movies. I bet those guys can ALSO write impressive reviews like the ones you like here on basenotes. If their reviews bother you so much then don't watch, how hard is that?? That goes to everyone here. It just seems to me that people are hating on here cause everyone in the youtube community are having such a blast while on here it's mostly all drama! No matter how hard you try.. you can't take the spot light off of them so quit trying and just keep it to yourself. If it's too loud, you're too old!

Oh and one last thing.. about your "real complaint" on fake bottles.. Have you not seen all the threads on here about FAKE CREEDS?! and about BATCH NUMBERS? Come on man, get real..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by popo940 View Post
    No need for any youtube reviewers to give out an explanation. They have their followers and they have subscribed to their channels for a reason. You may not agree with things they say and maybe your nose is better than theirs BUT so what? Mind your own business dude, seriously.. there's no need to try and bring them down even if to your eyes they don't deserve to be looked up upon. Not everyone wants to read a page long review on a fragrances these days, it's like you are saying why make a movie when you can just read the book, since everyone here can agree that the books are always better than the movies. I bet those guys can ALSO write impressive reviews like the ones you like here on basenotes. If their reviews bother you so much then don't watch, how hard is that?? That goes to everyone here. It just seems to me that people are hating on here cause everyone in the youtube community are having such a blast while on here it's mostly all drama! No matter how hard you try.. you can't take the spot light off of them so quit trying and just keep it to yourself. If it's too loud, you're too old!

Oh and one last thing.. about your "real complaint" on fake bottles.. Have you not seen all the threads on here about FAKE CREEDS?! and about BATCH NUMBERS? Come on man, get real..
    My friend, you miss my point entirely. I'll remember your suggestions for me. Thanks.

With all the "foofaraw" DustB, I understand your original point.

And I think Redneck Perfumisto came up with the perfect solution: A series of YouTube vids "busting" the sellers of fakes, and showing why they are fake. (as long as they really are, as he said.) That, I'd watch! (particularly when the kiosk seller came out with the baseball bat to "sort you out")...

The "responsibility factor" on YouTube, in my opinion, is currently kind of iffy...(probably, my cross-section is small, no, tiny) I'm talking about YouTube in general, not specifically about frag reviews. As the medium matures, that may change for the better. Right now it feels (to me) more like the proliferation of vacation slide shows in the 1950's (not that I remember them) and Super 8 (for those old enough to know what that is, and that includes me) "MOVIES"... Exuberant, numerous, and only high quality for a small percentage. (remember, that's my opinion, and not necessarily the reality).
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Ok maybe I shouldn't have directed it ALL at you. You gave out your point and OTHER people added things to it... So my bad on that. ANYWAYS, You should do a thread on the whole Aventus crap going on here at basenotes! Seriously, over 40 pages of the same crap over and over and different threads!? REALLY?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by popo940 View Post
    Ok maybe I shouldn't have directed it ALL at you. You gave out your point and OTHER people added things to it... So my bad on that. ANYWAYS, You should do a thread on the whole Aventus crap going on here at basenotes! Seriously, over 40 pages of the same crap over and over and different threads!? REALLY?
    Popo, I'm sure all the readers of the thread will have your suggestion to think over.

Re: fakes, it varies from places to places, I suppose. Here, they ARE prevalent, so information about how to identify them does help. As a newbie, one of my earliest threads here was asking about the location of serial numbers on my bottle of Chrome. I also worried about my bottle of Kouros.

That said, I understand that some people may just want to get to the review of the scent itself. So, how about placing the extra info (authenticity indicators, application tips, etc) at the end of the video? Or perhaps, having separate videos for the info?

Me having ADD I will put this subject on another note I thought for a while about doing frag reviews, even with the reviewers that I do not agree with I still give them respect for putting themselves out there because they do not have to do that at all. I have seen how some people have been cruel, disrespectful and downright ungrateful to these reviewers that simply put out their opinions on a scent and enjoy fragrance. Look at it this way, youtube is free to watch but many of these reviewers put in a lot of time, effort and sometimes money doing something they don't have to do. For many of the things I have seen I would much rather write on here and throw my two scents which takes a lot less time and effort to do. As far as showing the bar code,etc personally yes it can be repetitive but many people will question the authenticity of the bottle in some cases and will ask for proof of some sort. I have read plenty of threads on if their bottle is a fake and in a good number of cases it is. I think a large video or two talking about fake scents would be fine. Some people who are just starting out and are not in the know may need the info. I digress and shut up now lmao.

Post Thanks / Like

My measly 2 cents: Most Youtube reviews I've read spend way too much time going "blah blah blah" about whatever it is the reviewer wants to talk about at the time, rather than the actual review. So, I don't watch them anymore.

Between the directory information, formal reviews, and the informal discussion on a fragrance here on BN, I can typically nail down something I want to sample. And quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

TLDR: There are less fakes than real ones. It shouldn't be portrayed as if it were the other way around.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    There are plenty of good low price hidden gems that reviewers may stumble upon or have previous experience with. Take Marc's review on Adidas Moves; very well done. I jave a fairly large arsenal of fragrances that can be acquired for under 20 bucks that are outstanding, deserve recognition, and blow top sellers to smithereens.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the main reason I avoid your channel, arrogance. Excellent reviews, but a horrible "I'm better than you" attitude. Good luck in life.