Code of Conduct

Exclamation Pure Iso E Super® from The Perfumer's Apprentice

So after finding this whole ISO E Super thing so intriguing, I started researching it more and got an 80ml bottle of pure ISO E Super from the Perfumers Apprentice for $10 bucks, and mixed with some perfumers alcohol and made my own Molecule 01. I’m not going to get into the HUGE mark up of Molecule 01, that’s for another discussion. But I will say this. Don’t’ buy it, get this for $10 bucks instead. Its identical.

Anyway I got my bottle in the mail and made my own ‘Molecule 01’, mixed at a high 30% oil / 70% alcohol. (I would advise mixing less, 20% should be fine). So after wearing pure ISO E Super and getting its full experience, it’s absolutely amazing how many fragrance come to mind that have this ingredient in it. Right away, I smelled Marc Jacobs Bang the most! Bang must be 80% ISO E because Bang and this pure ISO E smell soooooo close. Bang has some other top notes, but otherwise, extremely similar. Then others came to mind like Terre d’Hermes – lots of similarities though TDH is more much more complex. My SOTD while typing this is Encre Noire and yep, you smell lots of ISO E super in EN. Abercrombie Fierce, Declaration, and the list goes on…

Am I bothered by the fact that a lot of these fragrances are super dosed with ISO E Super? Not one bit! I loved all of these fragrances (that’s why they are in my drobe) way before I ever smelled this. Now I see the common trend throughout them all. They all smell great, and to no surprise so does this.

Over the weekend I wore my ‘homemade Molecule 01’, and I must say, it was an interesting experience. I know some say they can’t smell it at all. Well I must have a super noise because I could smell it on myself all day long. My wife and I went shopping together and I asked her to tell me each time she got a waft of it. I heard “I smell it now honey” all day long, and more times than I can count. This stuff just doesn’t leave your skin, and it’s a sillage monster! So much so, later during our shopping day, she asked me if I sprayed it again, thinking I had an atomizer in my pocket like I do with most of my fragrances. Nope. No atomizer that day. This stuff just stays and stays, and creates this cloud of sillage around you.

On to the scent itself? Its pleasant. I get a clean, somewhat fresh/floral woody cedar like smell from it that has a modern twist. It’s somewhat complex in that area as it’s just one molecule and yet it yields multiple notes. There is zero development though. The scent you get 5 minutes after you apply is the scent you’ll get 5 hours later in the day. Zero change. This could be good or bad depending on who you are. I liked it though.

Anyway – it’s quite interesting to smell ISO E Super on its own. And I would advise anyone interested in buying Molecule 01, just contact the Perfumers Apprentice and make your own for $10 bucks! You’ll have basically a lifetime supply and it’s actually a pretty cool experience. I’ll deff throw this into the rotation of the drobe. Perhaps a new signature office scent…

Default Re: Pure Iso E Super® from The Perfumer's Apprentice

How would you described the smell of Iso-E Super? To me it's kind of 'fumey', i.e. it smells like fumes, kind of?

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    How would you described the smell of Iso-E Super? To me it's kind of 'fumey', i.e. it smells like fumes, kind of?
    I did above in the 5th paragraph.

Maybe woody fumey ;')

Such a cool idea......I have to try this!

You could be smelling all of these!
    Looking for: Creed caps

I just smelled Molecule #1 this weekend and couldn't smell a thing! I then sprayed it on and only got the lightest hint of a sort of dry peppery woody type thing. The group I was with said they could smell it clearly.

Is there something about this molecule that some people can't smell it? I certainly can pick it out of Terre for example.
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Wow! What an awesome topic. I love that you asked your wife to tell you each whaft she gets.

The fact that it's a sillage monster isn't a real surprise with 30% pure oils.
    And it proves that most of the designer companies nowadays their only concern is to make big bucks, not a perfume that is good and lasts you the whole day.
    Bulgari Man and Jacob's Bang as examples.

Is that the "wet paper bag" smell that constantly (and aggressively!) drifts from Hollister Co. at the mall?? The fragrance invades an entire wing of the shopping center.

Blog Entries

I did almost this same thing a while back - very eye-opening.

As for what it smelled like, on my skin it smelled kind of creamy and sweet, sort of like the creamy sweet aspects of incense without the cedary aspects. But the real story is in the silage, which smells like if you could take the smell of burnt firewood but without most of the woody smell.

It's not that horrible Fierce smell (though that is Feirce you're gagging on at the mall).

It's been discussed elsewhere, but the reason for the weird performance is actually that it's so strong that you become almost immediately anosmic to it as soon as you put it on. It's really strong to the people around you who aren't walking around in a cloud of it, but you'll only really smell it on yourself every once in a while when the wind is just right.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Also, it's a molecule that is so large that it literally blocks or obscures the receptors on your olfactory bulb, which is what can cause anosmia not only to itself but to the entire fragrance, when iso e is present in large enough quantities.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Heerst View Post
    Wow, where did you find this list?

Quote Originally Posted by Heerst View Post
    This list should be retitled: "Top ten fragrances sure to give SculptureOfSoul a headache"
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

10 foot sillage radius? Pretty crazy!

So today I wore my home made Molecule 01 again to work. On my lunch break I was in a store running some errands. I was at the counter and all of the sudden this other lady customer standing 10 feet away from me say’s “Who is that? Whats that smell?”

The sales associate politely pointed at me…. So my guess is she smelled it on me right away too.

The lady customer proceeded to ask me what it was, and where to get it. I wasn’t going to get into how it was homemade ISO E Super, and how I mixed it myself ect… so I just said Molecule 01 from Luckyscent. She wrote it down and wanted the exact spelling... lol

As she was talking to me, I looked at the distance between me and her and thought to myself, “this must 8-10 feet away, wow”. I couldn’t believe it.

Anyway, figured I’d share. This stuff is pretty crazy.

You should have told her you made it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by IKL View Post
    Wow, where did you find this list?
    Don't remember the website anymore, sorry. I had it saved on my PC.
    Looking for: Creed caps

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    You should have told her you made it yourself.
    come to think of it, yeah, that would of sounded much cooler.

"Oh this, I made it myself..." - lol

I'm going to say that next time anyone ever asks me now, lol! thanks for the idea.

Fantastic, I must get my paws on Iso E Super. I've been curious about it for years, ever since I read about the supposed overdose of the stuff in Feminité du Bois. I wonder how that one places on the list of fragrances high in Iso E Super.

its also quite fun to layer it with other fragrances

Where did your purchase your perfumer's alcohol? I'm thinking about buying from Snowdrift Farm.

Alright, so another ‘event’ if you will, happened while wearing pure ISO E Super yesterday. I was out shopping for dress shirts and all of the sudden I see two guys, early 30’s approaching me:

Them: “Oh, its you! What are you wearing? What is that?”
    Me, taken back a bit because they came from nowhere: “Oh, it’s a fragrance I made.”
    Them, puzzled: “What? You made that?” One of them jokingly “what do you, mix it in a bath tub? lol”
    Me in my head: ‘no, I’m not a home brewer idiot.’ Me out loud: “no-no, much smaller batches” laughs.
    Them: “What do you like, sell it and stuff?”
    Me: “No, its just something I do and wear for myself”
    One of them: “That smells familiar. It brought me back years ago, but I can’t quite remember what it was”
    Me nodding my head: “Hmmm…”
    Them at a loss of words: “Okay… well, cool, smells nice”
    Me: “Thanks guys”

Conclusion, this stuff is just weird. I’ve never received these public reactions to anything I’ve ever worn. Ever.

I started to think about what just took place and thought to myself ‘where the heck did they come from, it was like they hunted me down….?’ Then I slightly remember passing two guys earlier… but they were in an entirely different isle, they must have been a good 8-12 feet away from me. And for them to literally search out the scent, I felt ‘tracked down’ a bit. It was quite odd, as I’ve never been ‘hunted down’ like that before. Also, I applied it a good 12 hours earlier. 12 hours later, it still super potent.

After all is said I have these conclusions about ISO E Super. This stuff projects more than you think. Bubble around you? More like a 15 foot radiant glow of fragrant release around you. That, and it smells just plain good. Though its potent and silage crazy, it’s such a light aromatic inoffensive smell, it elects comments. Its pleasant, pleases everyone, and you WILL get comments.

For me, I wear it when I’m crossed about what to wear that day… when I’m rushing in the morning and dont really have time to think out what I want to wear. Because its one single note, it gets boring quick to the wearer. No development, no changes, so it gets old quick. Every now and then you’ll get a waft of yourself and think, ‘hmmm, smells nice’. That’s all I get. But others? What other people get? I guess because they aren’t exposed to it all day long like you, it hits them like a ton of bricks… so much so that they can’t help but ask “What is that?!?!”

Anyway – I’ll continue to wear this from now and then. Its by no means going to take over my wardrobe. But I will say this: If you want to wear something that gives off a 10-15ft of fragrance radius, and smells unquestionably, undeniably ‘good’, and want attention and want people to notice you, this is it. Just be ready for public interaction with strangers.
    Last edited by md1grwl; 9th September 2010 at 05:04 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Sounds like a 'compliment whore' scent. I'm intrigued.

How many sprays do you apply? 30% is very strong - the kind of thing that one would normally dab (at least I would...) - so that could account for the sillage.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    How many sprays do you apply? 30% is very strong - the kind of thing that one would normally dab (at least I would...) - so that could account for the sillage.
    I dialed it back to about 20%-25% now. I wear a normal amount I guess... its kinda tough to gauge because its just one single note. I think its just SOOOO aromatic, SOOOO much projection, it doesn't take much.

I use the stuff all the time, both alone and in combination.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Have you tried layering anything on top of it, just to see how it affects the other scent? I'm curious if there's truth to reports that it turns even the wimpiest of scents into raging powerhouses.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by md1grwl View Post
    But I will say this: If you want to wear something that gives off a 10-15ft of fragrance radius, and smells unquestionably, undeniably ‘good’, and want attention and want people to notice you, this is it. Just be ready for public interaction with strangers.
    <edit> I tried to appreciate Bleu De Chanel (Blue Of Chanel, very sophisticated naming) today, and my nose is still bleeding, F...!
    Last edited by WildThingy; 9th September 2010 at 11:32 PM.

I just want to say that pure iso e super, even at "only" 20%, is still a LOT. Most fragrances are maybe 10-50% iso e super, and have a concentration of say, 7% total, so on average you're only getting say, 0.7%-3.5% iso e super.

So, your 20% blend is about 6 times stronger than even most of the frags out there that are very heavy on the iso e.

Your concentration is likely way above the IFRA recommended limits, too. Just a precaution as it may not be safe to wear in such a concentrated amount over long periods of time.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

^^ So thats why I've been growing a 3rd nipple!

Bump.

There has been quite a bit of talk about this recently and I think it this gorgeous thread deserved a revival.

Addidtionally I have accidently found a link someone posted about a firm in the Netherland that sells perfume chemicals plus all you need to dilute them. Now I'm sure I'l do it, the only thing thats kept me from doing so earlier was international shipping or more precisely german customs.

Anyone have a recommendation regarding the solvent?
    I'm a complete novice to DIY and understand that there are a few to chose from.
    Smellin good

fascinating thread... I am intrigued to smell Iso E Super alone now, and have been pondering DIY too. So may be the start of my home made frag hobby!! I have and love both Terre d'Hermes and Encre Noire, and now I understand the similarity.

It's been discussed elsewhere, but the reason for the weird performance is actually that it's so strong that you become almost immediately anosmic to it as soon as you put it on. It's really strong to the people around you who aren't walking around in a cloud of it, but you'll only really smell it on yourself every once in a while when the wind is just right.
    Also, it's a molecule that is so large that it literally blocks or obscures the receptors on your olfactory bulb, which is what can cause anosmia not only to itself but to the entire fragrance, when iso e is present in large enough quantities.
    This may just explain why both T d'H and EN "just don't SEEM to last on me". Less is more maybe, with Iso E Super?
    LOST! in scent and music

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    Addidtionally I have accidently found a link someone posted about a firm in the Netherland that sells perfume chemicals plus all you need to dilute them. Now I'm sure I'l do it, the only thing thats kept me from doing so earlier was international shipping or mre precisely german customs.
    Hi,
    Yesterday, I've just ordered some Iso E Super, a big bottle to mix and three smaller bottles with a sprayer and some accessories to make pouring easy.
    I wrote a topic on basenotes too.
    The solvent you need is 29550 Cosmetisch haarwater.
    I live in Belgium, you live in Germany, so no customs inside Europe!
    I've bought 50ml Iso E Super and 250ml solvent.
    =>17% concentration
    but IFF recommends maximum 10%

Interesting discussion! Some of the Ormonde Jayne fragrances ("Woman" and "Man" in particular) are full of Iso E Super.

I have a small bottle of it from Perfumer's Apprentice, which I've always thought to be too subtle for me to smell much of it. Now I'm wondering if it's the large molecules (or maybe I have small receptors?) I'm fairly anosmic to some of the synthetic musks, too.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

I very much enjoy Declaration and Encre Noire, so I guess I might be a fan of Iso E Super.

Quote Originally Posted by Olfacta View Post
    Interesting discussion! Some of the Ormonde Jayne fragrances ("Woman" and "Man" in particular) are full of Iso E Super.
    As I was reading the entirety of this thread, I kept thinking of Ormonde Woman (pretty much my signature scent), and I just don't smell it as strongly as I used to in the beginning, and it doesn't seem to last as long. I've been meaning to do an experiment in which I don't wear it for a time and then go back to it, to see if my scent receptors can reset themselves (if that's even possible), but I can't tear myself away from the stuff!
    http://eyelineronacatblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Olfacta View Post

I have a small bottle of it from Perfumer's Apprentice, which I've always thought to be too subtle for me to smell much of it. Now I'm wondering if it's the large molecules (or maybe I have small receptors?) I'm fairly anosmic to some of the synthetic musks, too.
    I do too and the smell of the pure oil in the bottle is faint, but when it's mixed with alcohol and sprayed it is MUCH MUCH stronger... at least for a while... then you get anosmic and only smell it occasionally.

Since this thread got revived, I'd like to second Stephan and call your attention to the recommended maximum concentration of 10% in fragrance. Just because it isn't illegal to sell somthing undiluted doesn't mean it's a good idea to use it that way. Aroma chemicals are meant to be diluted. I wouldn't wear them neat. Nor would I apply pure essential oils to the skin. Just sayin'.

IFRA allows ISO E Super up to 21.4% of the final formula. If your selling of course.

Quote Originally Posted by BAGreat View Post
    IFRA allows ISO E Super up to 21.4% of the final formula. If your selling of course.
    Interesting.

What about the Super Iso E / ersatz Molecule 1 they sell on Ebay? Any good?

Or this?
    I've combined Iso E Super with Ambroxan to create a truly alluring fragrance

Iso E Super is an aroma-chemical, which, on its own, is less of a fragrance than an effect.

The wearer may notice a subtle, velvety, woody note which will vanish, then re-surface after some time.

More than this, she or he will notice the impact the fragrance has on other people, because Iso E Super lends an indefinable allure to the wearer. In fact, its effect is almost pheromonic.

Ambroxan, the answer to every perfumer's prayers, it's a substitute for Ambergris, Ambroxan is an aroma-molecule that harnesses all the sweet, earthy, musky characteristics of the real thing, to envelop the wearer in a haze of warmth without overpowering. It waxes and wanes throughout the day, fading, only to resurface just when you've almost forgotten you're wearing it..

Ingredients 80% Alcohol (denat) Iso E Super & Ambroxan
    Anybody ever tried any of these?

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    What about the Super Iso E / ersatz Molecule 1 they sell on Ebay? Any good?

Or this?

Anybody ever tried any of these?
    I tried combos of Iso E Super and Ambroxan but it always resulted in overkill. I don't think they work that great together. The Iso E Super kind of suffocates the airiness of the Ambroxan and the Ambroxan seems to enhance the more synthetic smelling aspects of the Iso E Super.

Thanks Nasenmann. Guess I'll resist the urge to try the stuff.

i have bought my iso e super and dilute in perfumes alcohol
    and its just like i have been told..................
    yes its magical kind of chemical and now i can understand that why its used widely in perfumes

I bought one of the Iso E Super compositions on ebay. Definitely more expensive vs. mixing my own 2 ingredients but I don't need a liter of aromachemicals on hand, plus I still saved $120 over the commercial version. Never tried Molecule 01 (I'm sure there are several kinds of Iso E Super because of manufacturing variations so it may vary) but I love the "generic" I have. Matches OP's experience as well - great projection, number of compliments.

[QUOTE=IKL;1919559]Wow, where did you find this list?[/QUOT

This list came from the site Perfume Shrine.

So in efforts to make my Molecule-01, I bought the Iso-E super from Perfumers Apprentice along with "Propylene Glycol". I mixed the two at 15% concentration, but the result doesnt quite smell good or like anything at all. As I'm reading the OP's post, I'm wondering, 1) where does one get "Perfumer's alcohol" and 2) is Propylene Glycol the wrong solvent?

Basenotes Junkie

I ordered a bottle of 190 proof ever clear from a buddy in AZ, since Im also in Ca. Go that route if you can. If you want, send me a PM to discuss further. My mix at 15% smells good, very woody and velvety .
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

I experimented with various percentages. I find that 30% makes it nearly undetectable for me. 20-23% seems to be the sweet spot. But in general, I find it doesn't project very well.

Any help?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/295414-

There's a recent thread - somewhere!