Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Amouage Opus II: Initial Impressions

Just testing Opus I II and III for the first time today- I got my beautiful official samples for Parfums Raffy.
    Opus II is indeed , a lovely ,sparkling fresh, spicey fougere. It's got bite .
    But Opus I - Oh My Oh My ! What a beauty !
    My favorite is Opus III. It smells vaguely familiar - reminds me of another scent - by Guerlain. Aha- a little of L'Heure Bleue in the start.

All three are pretty excellent .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Sandy, what parallels are you finding between Opus II and Jubilation? I mean, I guess there are some similar spices, but Jubilation reads as a woods with dried fruit, a bit of syrup and incense (along with a slightly vegetal celery seed note).. it seems so lush and opulent and warm, while Opus II to me is much cooler, airier, and far less dense.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Glad you are liking them Mimi. I've not tried enough Guerlains to make the connection between any and Opus III.. I'm going to have to seek out L'Heure Bleue!

I can't wait to smell Opus I on my girlfriend.. maybe I can convince her to try it this weekend when I see her next. It doesn't do much of anything on my skin but I feel that there is some potential for it to really bloom on the right skin. Well, I hope so, at least.

Mimi, do let us know if you find that after an hour or two Opus II goes from being quite loud to rather quiet. It has behaved that way for me, Mr. Reasonable, and some others, and I'm curious to see if anyone's skin out there can buck the trend. Of course, while many find that to be a drawback of the scent, I kind of like that behavior, as I don't like a ton of sillage. That's my number one problem with so many Amouage - they are too strong! (a blasphemous thing to say on BN, I know )
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Basenotes Institution

Sculpture- I will - right now- Opus II- it's doing pretty well - strong- I'm getting incense - a lot of it. It does evolve beautifully. I hope your girlfriend enjoys Opus I- I think she may like Opus III too. Guerlain fans will love Opus III I think - it is remarkably like L'Heure Bleue.

Thanks for the test Mimi!

After you test them some more, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how they compare to the normal Amouage line up, and if you think the Library series has a unique identity of its own and if so, what that identity actually is.

If you are at all a fan of Dior's Poison, or like the idea of an Amouage-y take on the theme, be sure to check out Memoir Woman when samples become available, too. There are a lot of differences, but it has a similar purple, grapey jasmine, extremely floral vibe.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Basenotes Institution

Sculpture- I am huge Poison fan - I love the grapey floral aspect of Posion so I am sure Memoir will sit well with me.
    Opus II has gotten quieter after the initial fougere burst- but it's pretty persistent ,gotten deeper with a lovely incensey, amber- patchouli drydown. Still getting whiffs of it. It's definitely the more masculine of the three.

I was prepared to love Opus II, expecting a full spicy, opulent fragrance.
    Opus II seems weak and uninspired for me. It follows the same line of Amouage Reflection Man, the idea of doing something mainstream with quality materials, trying to justify the high price in this way.
    But it didn`t convinced me. I thought that they tried to do something that would easier to please, but in this process the scent lost personality.
    It seems like a cross of solo loewe with pinches of Armani Prive Ambre Soie and washed base of Terre d'Hermes.
    The opening has the same spicy, aromatic aura of solo loewe after solo loewe develops on skin. The pepper is spicy, but never gets at the front of the fragrance, like pepper fragrances as Piper Nigrum or Armani Prive Bois d`Encens. It`s a pepper combined with the sharp, aromatic aroma of lavender, the bitterness of wormwood somethins spicy that seems like a cardamom touch. I cannot see any relathionship with Rive Gauche, wich has a dark, fougere aura dominated by cloves and dark woody aromas. Opus II is too shy to go on that direction; when you think the fragrance will take of and raise it`s voice and give you a interesting spicy-aromatic aroma, the scent disappears, go soft. The pepper-lavender aroma stays for a while, and then gives space for what it feels some moments like a homage to the beautiful cinnamon that Christine Nagel used in her Ambre Soie for Armani. But the same problem that happens to the opening happens to the heart too, the cinnamon never goes completely on focus, and seem more like a ghost of an interesting cinnamonic fragrance than an interesting one. The amber seems to start appearing at this point for me, and if there`s is any jasmine and rose here, it`s completely hidden for me.
    When it gets to the base, what i got it`s a soft, subtle, patchouli and musk base, that makes me think of terre d`hermes base, with some incense added.
    Opus II was a big disappointment for me. I don`t see any creativity here, although i see the quality. It lacks the luxe touch, the strenght, the longlasting aroma of other Amouage Scents. I wouldn`t waist 300 dollars on what could have been priced 100 dollars at most.

Much as I enjoy Opus II out of the gate I do find it poorly balanced - it seems to slip away to something very, very quiet after that beautiful full bodied opening. I am not a sillage or longevity nut as a rule but this one seems to lack any narrative arc or trajectory to me - it stops mid sentence.

I've done a 180 on this. I still like the opening and I find that the composition has a lot of potential, but I find that the drydown becomes too muted and one dimensional far too quickly on me now, and even worse, it is chock full of some synthetic that really irritates my throat. I think it's the same chemical that provides the mineral notes to TdH, as it has the same effect on me. I used to think this was iso e super, but it's not, as other iso e heavy scents don't bother me in this way.

So: opening and first hour or so = 5 stars
    drydown = 2 stars
    avg = 3.5, truncating to 3 stars.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I came across the most unlikely of potential replacements for this scent the other day. I was at a discounter and they had a tester of the original HUMMER fragrance out. Upon spraying it I thought - "Wow, this smells like something I know!" It took only a minute to place that it smelled a lot lot like Opus II (at least from memory). I didn't keep the card long enough to be able to compare the dry downs, but if I get the chance again I'm going to do a better comparison of these two. Heck, I might just order some Hummer with my next purchase - it's surely cheap enough.

Anyone out there sniffed both? What do you think?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Just chiming in to express my appreciation of your review, Sculpture of Soul. The reference to light playing across abalone shell resounded very deeply with me. Love it. Keep writing please.