Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default How do you test/sample/try fragrances?

More specifically, where, how, and why do you spray? I test them on my forearms, right before my hand...joint...thing...basically the opposite side of my wrist. I spray it there because its very convenient to smell, and i'll often get wafts of it which is always nice. and it's easy to wash off if i get sick of it!

Default Re: How do you test/sample/try fragrances?

Myself. I always spray on my arms. I'll spray more if it's a weak scent. It's always good to ask for a sample, but with the cologne business these days you have to buy a scent to get a sample.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    More specifically, where, how, and why do you spray? I test them on my forearms, right before my hand...joint...thing...basically the opposite side of my wrist. I spray it there because its very convenient to smell, and i'll often get wafts of it which is always nice. and it's easy to wash off if i get sick of it!
    Same.

I often test on the leg, if I think I might really dislike it. If I have a dab vial, I usually put a tiny dab on the arm, near the wrist. On the second sampling, if it gets that far, I'll do a "normal wearing," which is at least one spray to the chest. However, I always try to avoid most of the top notes to prevent "olfactory fatigue."

Forearms.

my hand usually but if i have more i am trying i will put them on my wrists and arms.

I wear it like I would normally wear a scent. Why test it any other way?

Yes, I'll spray a tester in a store on my chest without shame. I'd also test drive a car in real world conditions and not just take it for a stroll through the parking lot.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

the best spot for me is my arms (the upper part of the top side), but I usually save that spot for the perfume I'm most looking forward to try that day. I usually don't leave an inch of my body that I don't test something on, actually just kidding. I don't have the confidence to do that with all those SA's giving you weird looks, maybe if I'm dressed up I wouldn't care and spray all over myself. Ahh perfumes are a strange thing to shop for.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

At the store, if I like it on paper (or if at least I don't hate it on paper) it goes on my forearm next. That way I can test several while shopping.

If I really like it, it goes on my chest/décolletage, since that is where I normally wear perfume. Ultmately I have to test it the same way I would normally wear perfume. That is one reason I decant my dabber-type samples to spray atomizers.

Paper test sprays. If the fragrance makes it through my vetting process, then it gets sprayed onto the inside of a wrist. I may or may not, then touch the wrists together, then touch the wrists to both carotid areas. If still wet, the center of chest.

With vials/tiny bottles, I either place the wrist onto the opening, then tilt/invert to apply about a drop, or use the vial wand to apply a extremely subtle amount.

Post Thanks / Like

Given that I wear fragrance whenever I go out, and I don't want to be "that guy" who sprays 20 sprays on myself, I paper test everything first. If I like what I smell on paper, I give a little spritz on the back of my hand, and test 2 new fragrances at most (one per hand).

If I want to buy it, I go home and look for the cheapest place online I very very rarely ever buy fragrances in stores now, considering you can get such huge savings online.

Post Thanks / Like

both wrists and inside elbows. Ie, I could theoretically test 4 at once. Generally I just do a quick paper test, then if I like it I usually test 2 per day (one on each wrist) and leave it at that. If I like something I do a full application.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

When I am testing samples at home that I have purchased, I apply several different scents in different areas from the back of my hands, and up my forearms to the elbow. Usually no more than 5 on each arm. This way I am able to compare the scents. I also wash my arms like a doctor would for surgery, before going to sample more. It really has become a ritual. My name is D. and I am a fragrance addict. Haha!
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Post Thanks / Like

Very simple and basic- a few sprays either on wrists or on a paper strip, no other methods used by me so far.

Post Thanks / Like

As a rule I will test spray a fragrance on the back of my hand. If I find the opening, heart, and drydown to my liking I will give the fragrance 2, or 3 full wearings before making a purchase. If I'm not real sure I like the fragrance, I will try in different weather conditions to see how a season may affect my feelings toward the fragrance. I'm never in too much of a hurry to either say yes or no.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    I always test on my forearm.....This is the best way in my opinion and easy too.....I used to spray the back of my hands.....but in the winter they get very dry.....One year I had a very bad problem with the back of my hands being dry and painful.....I've never had this in my life.....and have not had this since.....The forearm works great!!!
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sensual View Post
    With vials/tiny bottles, I either place the wrist onto the opening, then tilt/invert to apply about a drop, or use the vial wand to apply a extremely subtle amount.
    Nice. I do this as well.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My preferred location is back of wrist. If I am out sampling a bunch, I will use both sides of wrists and back of hands and sometimes forearm.

But I won't review a fragrance without testing it on the back of my wrist; especially for longevity comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I wear it like I would normally wear a scent. Why test it any other way?

Yes, I'll spray a tester in a store on my chest without shame. I'd also test drive a car in real world conditions and not just take it for a stroll through the parking lot.
    Absolutely agreed

Post Thanks / Like

Always on paper first. Otherwise, I'll be angry at myself if I sprayed on a scrubber.