Code of Conduct

Default Unisex frags?! Marketed for women but unisex?

Now I dont know if this thread was ever started on here, but what I would like to know is what are some good/popular frags that are unisex but are marketed for women? Black Orchid I have & love, I also got some suggestions for Midnight & Hypnotic Poison! What are some others out here that are good that men may enjoy but over look here on basenotes because it says its made for females? Thanks in advance!
    To be successful, you must smell successful! THATSMR2USIR

Default Re: Unisex frags?! Marketed for women but unisex?

Wel... Provided that fragrance world is totally gender-bending and no one said that women must smell pretty flowers and vanilla and men musk and tobacco, and that if you are a bloky bloke and you wanna wear chanel n.5 that's no one's busines... blablabla yadayadayada
    there are hundreds of female marketed fragrances which might be suitable to a more masculine taste. I think Eau de Rochas pour Femme is a great example. In fact, in my opinion it smells quite masculine... It's a bright chypre citrus with excellent lasting power and a very elegant feel to it

Another one Eascale a Portofino, Dior. A lovely classic cologne with a nutty twist that I really like a lot. Female marketed, IMO heavily verging towards masculine. It opens with a bright bitter citrus note and ends with a very round and nutty-woody base, unfortunately it does not have much longevity and it's bit too expensive, otherwise it's that kind of cologne you want to splash liberally after shower!

Quote Originally Posted by lupo View Post
    Wel... Provided that fragrance world is totally gender-bending and no one said that women must smell pretty flowers and vanilla and men musk and tobacco, and that if you are a bloky bloke and you wanna wear chanel n.5 that's no one's busines... blablabla yadayadayada
    there are hundreds of female marketed fragrances which might be suitable to a more masculine taste. I think Eau de Rochas pour Femme is a great example. In fact, in my opinion it smells quite masculine... It's a bright chypre citrus with excellent lasting power and a very elegant feel to it
    Agreed.
    Another one would be Paloma Picasso's Mon Parfum/Paloma Picasso. It's pretty much a fresh chypre-fourgère with oakmoss base (vintage) and the new one is a different composition that has spices and some more flowers but a bit harsher...still remains in the "unisex" category IMHO.
    Man or Woman, you'll smell elegant and refined.

cheers

Basenotes Institution

Mitsouko
    Vol de Nuit
    Shalimar
    Gucci by Gucci ( brown bottle )
    Chanel No. 19
    Dior Dolce Vita
    ....the list goes on ...........
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Black Orchid by Tom Ford
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

My fave in this category is Guerlain's Jicky (preferably in extrait). It was worn by Sean Connery back in the 1960s/1970s during his James Bond period.

Absolutely a classic.

Teddius

Bond no. 9 Bleeker Street

Molinard´s Habanita

Apres L'Ondee

Quote Originally Posted by thatsmr2usir View Post
    Now I dont know if this thread was ever started on here, but what I would like to know is what are some good/popular frags that are unisex but are marketed for women?
    Prada's Infusion d'Iris - Even Dior Homme smells more feminine than that (to me anyway)

Bandit - The florals in the top may make the current version an easy sell, but do women really wear this?

+1 for Prada's Infusion d'Iris. (The one in the light green box.)

Cabochard is another, a leather chypre.

Azuree, a slightly more floral take on Aramis. (Very slightly.)

Quote Originally Posted by lupo View Post
    There are/were some BNers who would disagree with this.

I, for one, wear what I like, whenever I like. I don't categorise scent for gender, occasion or price tag. I will wear it if it pleases me.

The recent Thierry Mugler Womanity, despite the light pink juice and the fancy bottle seems like a very unisex scent, based on a salty fig scent.
    Last edited by Primrose; 31st August 2010 at 06:35 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

One I have worn a lot and received compliments on is Paco Rabanne's "Nuit." It has long been discontinued, but I found a bottle on eBay and will sometimes spray it all over after a shower. It's sweet and quite musky, so if you happen to have a little bottle of male pheromone around, a few drops of that with the Nuit is about as sexy as it gets.

Chaos and Black Cashmere by DKNY
    Plus dozens of frags that very few men will dare to wear.

pretty much anything than is not along the lines of Pink Sugar. I'd suggest anything by montale, Narciso Rodriguez for Her EdT/Essence, Guerlain Shalimar, Poison - Hypnotic/Midnight...man, just go to the women section and buy whatever you like.

Other are Lovely by SJP (much like Narciso Rodriguez for Her, a musky floral) and Coco Mademoiselle.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Kenzo Jungle L'Éléphant
    Acqua di Giò is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

I do believe, now that I think of it, that Black Orchid is marketed as unisex, along with White Patchouli.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I do believe, now that I think of it, that Black Orchid is marketed as unisex, along with White Patchouli.
    Black Orchid is. Isn't that the fragrance that Michael Jackson wore? But then again, he wasn't the alpha male
    Acqua di Giò is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

I remember buying a sample of Cuir Ottoman awhile back based on a thread for a good leather shoe type smell. I believe that is marketed as a women's perfume.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Most old school Diors are unisex;

- Dioressence
    - Diorella
    - Diorissimo
    - Eau Fraiche

If you think A*Men is masculine, then there are plenty of "women's" frag you can wear:

Amour de Cacao
    Must by Cartier
    Magical Moon EdP
    Kenzo Amour EdP
    Escada Collection
    Belle en Rykiel
    Joop! le Bain
    Allure Sensuelle
    Tommy Girl (if you like the idea of a white floral/tea frag)
    Rykiel Woman EdP
    Mont Blanc's Presence (women's version)
    Balahe (vintage version) by Leonard

DeepSilence

Vice versa suggestion! Paco Rabanne XS(m), Marketed for men, but unisex.
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 1st September 2010 at 04:00 AM.

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post

Escada Collection

wow. Finally i discovered it. I just knew the name, but i didn't know which company made it. If i remember good, i tried it about 10 years ago. I can remember the smell yet, floral, and a little soapy, am i right? with super lasting.

I just remembered another one that doesn't come much here on Basenotes either on the female or the male forum: Nocturnes by Caron.
    Really, if Nocturnes would have been marketed for men it would have been the first aldehydic for men that also features lemon, ashes, with a base of benzoin and vetiver...and nobody would have said anything. At times, it even reminds me of a kid's fragrance as well.

other carons marketed for women a man should try out: Poivre (just lots of black pepper: i think MJacob's Bang is inspired by this classic) and Tabac Blond (which is really NOT blond, it's dark smoky leather).

also, many men wear the very light delectable and fresh lemon vanilla cake scent-a-like that is Shalimar Light or the Eau Légère.

cheers
    Last edited by castorpollux; 31st August 2010 at 10:25 PM.

Thanks for the reply guys/gals! Im going to check out some of these scents that were posted & I am going to indeed start checking out the female frag section more because im sure I will miss out on alot of good fragrances!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Magie Noire - Lancome
    Gucci No. 3
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by Teddius View Post
    My fave in this category is Guerlain's Jicky (preferably in extrait). It was worn by Sean Connery back in the 1960s/1970s during his James Bond period.

Absolutely a classic.

Teddius

you talking about the newer version or the genuine Jicky extrait? I always wanted to try it. Can't find it, but Lonestar Memories by Andy Tauer is nice on a woman if you like strong smells. It's so full of incense. We had smoke coming over the mountain from a summer fire in WA and I had this on one night.... the mix of smoke in the air and Lonestar was really nice.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

I just wear whatever I'm comfortable with, masculine or feminine, I don't care: if it smells good to you, wear it!

+1 Gres Cabochard
    Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles didn't "feel" feminine on me.

For all concerned, the topic for "Sniff and Speak" this weekend, September 4, 2010, will be "opposite gender" scents. This allows us to explore scents marketed to the other gender and see the presumptions, cliches and stereotypes of different fragrance notes and accords. We may find a nice surprise with our investigations.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/259...PPOSITE-GENDER

Oh rats, I meant to put down L'AIR DU DÉSERT MAROCAIN instead of Lonestar.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Guerlain's Chamade EDT is an awesome floral/green fragrance with mega sillage and longevity.

Escada Collection has a cola-like note, but is a little sweet and has a tonka/tobacco type thing going on. Magie Noire reminded me of Iquitos, which I already have (though Iquitos is fruitier). I should be getting some Cuir Lancome soon.

The one that I have right now is Cartier's Kiss Of The Dragon!!!
    Gary

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    I just wear whatever I'm comfortable with, masculine or feminine, I don't care: if it smells good to you, wear it!
    Exactly. True fragrance enthusiasts don't base their decisions on marketing - it's all about the smell.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I must have mentioned this example on various other threads but the now discontinued Ispahan by Yves Rocher is marketed as female, but could be far more considered unisex or even exclusively masculine, as it has a strong yet also slightly powdery, dark yet also extremely classic dark floral-leathery vibe slightly similar to Antaeus, Knize Ten, Salvador Dali PH, Fendi PH and other frags like these marketed as exclusively male

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    The one that I have right now is Cartier's Kiss Of The Dragon!!!
    Gary
    I heard about this 1 a few times... im going to check it out & possibly buy it

O.K . guys, you forgot Midnight Poison
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Gucci by Gucci EDP (brown juice from 2002) is amazing, best worn in late fall and on cold winter nights!