Code of Conduct

Default Are there some people who just wont project?

No matter how strong a scent is. SI this a skin chemestry thing, and what can be done to offset this.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Are there some people who just wont project?

Welcome to the club. I've found alot of stronger fragrances die down quickly on me. People say if you moisturize or use unscented lotion a couple minutes before application it helps

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    Welcome to the club. I've found alot of stronger fragrances die down quickly on me. People say if you moisturize or use unscented lotion a couple minutes before application it helps
    I am rocking three sprays of kouros, which was bomb for the first few second, and now no one can detect it without really having to sniff the air. I can't even tell unless I really try to in a tight small area like an elevator.

Basenotes Institution

I'm the same way !
    I also find that you have to let the unscented moisturiser sink in really well first, before applying any fragrance .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I guess I fall into the same category too, since, although my skin is oily and this is supposed to increase the lasting power and projection of fragrance, as well as the fact that I additionally tend to moisturize my skin and to use highly moisturizing and skin-protecting cosmetics, even well-known "sillage bombs", overpowering on almost anyone else, tend to last and project averagely one me

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I'm the same way !
    I also find that you have to let the unscented moisturiser sink in really well first, before applying any fragrance .
    Will that significantly increase your projection power. Where should I apply the lotion, and what brand do you suggest?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by boxingfan View Post
    Will that significantly increase your projection power. Where should I apply the lotion, and what brand do you suggest?
    I use Eucerin unscented lotion which I apply on all the normal areas- making sure I do my wrists well . For those in the UK, E45 lotion or cream is wonderful and unscented too .
    Then I wait for a few minutes till it's absorbed before spraying . I found if you don't wait, the lotion changes /lessens the strength of the fragrance.
    It's a bugger for us with skin that doesn't project as well , I know.

Yup me too, Montale's BA or MAzzolari Lui for instance, sillage and longgivity monsters in their own right dissappear of my skin in 4 hours max with rapidly decling sillage. The only thing that really has some staying power is pure oils like oud, musk, vetiver or sandlewood. I'll use these tips! although to be honest, it can be nice to enjoy a fragrance of such magnitude without annoying everyone around you.
    I take a bottle of wine and I go drink it among the flowers.
    We are always three ... counting my shadow and my friend the shimmering moon
    Happily the moon knows nothing of drinking, and my shadow is never thirsty
    When I sing, the moon listens to me in silence. When I dance, my shadow dances too.
    After all festivities the guests must depart. This sadness I do not know.
    When I go home, the moon goes with me and my shadow follows me

Li Po - II bc

Blog Entries

I'm sorry guys (and gals). I actually have the opposite problem, and it can be just as bad. Even the lightest fragrances will become sillage monsters on me if I'm not careful on the sprayer. That may sound great to you, but unfortunately it renders many fragrances that are sillage monsters on their own unwearable for me. Hence my love for light/fresh/aquatic/etc.

Same for me... I sprayed Amouage Dia on myself for the 1st time and after a few hours what was supposed to be a neon-pink-loud-sign-of-a-scent was rendered nothing but a firefly.

Hey guys, I was researching through basenotes and other sites and came up with this. Some people bought Neutrogena Body Oil, Fragrance Free, 8.5-Ounce Bottles and say it doesn't mess with the fragrance.

So I bought some from amazon, will let you guys know how it goes since I also feel like Fragrances do not last long on my skin. (at most 4-5)
    "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

If it seems to you that the scent is strong at first and then tapers off very quickly, try asking others if they can smell it. Sometimes, the effect is in your nose and not on your skin: your nose quickly "forgets" the scent by becoming accustomed to it, and stops or slows down sending the olfactory signal to your brain. This is a kind of survival feature, allowing you to smell newer signals that you might need to be aware of. The thing you smelled a few minutes ago becomes "old news" and goes into background mode.

Sometimes people actually over-apply scent because they can't smell it on themselves, while others are quite well aware of it as they come into its orbit and experience it as a "new" signal.

Sometimes scents really do fade, but come back to more detectable levels with some degree of exertion or increase in temperature.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Golfer View Post
    I'm sorry guys (and gals). I actually have the opposite problem, and it can be just as bad. Even the lightest fragrances will become sillage monsters on me if I'm not careful on the sprayer. That may sound great to you, but unfortunately it renders many fragrances that are sillage monsters on their own unwearable for me. Hence my love for light/fresh/aquatic/etc.
    Let's trade skins !

Quote Originally Posted by olfactorynewbie View Post
    Same for me... I sprayed Amouage Dia on myself for the 1st time and after a few hours what was supposed to be a neon-pink-loud-sign-of-a-scent was rendered nothing but a firefly.
    I believe this is a general problem with DIA for most. On my skin i have exactly the sameproblem , but like i said , i believe most people have it specifiically with DIA?
    I take a bottle of wine and I go drink it among the flowers.
    We are always three ... counting my shadow and my friend the shimmering moon
    Happily the moon knows nothing of drinking, and my shadow is never thirsty
    When I sing, the moon listens to me in silence. When I dance, my shadow dances too.
    After all festivities the guests must depart. This sadness I do not know.
    When I go home, the moon goes with me and my shadow follows me

Li Po - II bc

Let's trade skins !
    you're so hilarious sweetie! hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
    I believe this is a general problem with DIA for most. On my skin i have exactly the sameproblem , but like i said , i believe most people have it specifiically with DIA?
    Oh please, don't remind me of Dia. My favorite Amouage hands down and the only one I was willing to pay the price tag for, no longevity on me whatsoever 4 hours tops, and it's a skin scent after 10 minutes. I really hope they make it stronger but one can only dream....And what makes it even worse is, it's the only Amouage I tried where the women version smells nothing like the men version, it's good and strong but...oh well, one day I'll find a fix for bad longevity.

Luckily I don't have this issue! I usually just spray my shirt to get as much out of the scent as possible.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Blog Entries

Let's trade skins !
    LOL. It is a nice problem to have as long as you don't mind the lighter fragrances. They do last all day for me.

Yea, my skin is a scent swallower, too. Kind of sucks but I rarely have to worry about over applying, even with the sillage monsters.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Skin scent after 10 minutes? It's olfactory fatigue, plain and simple.

Peeling an orange leaves a smell that lasts longer, and yet these musks that last for hundreds (even a thousand or more) hours on a card disappear in 10 minutes on skin? I don't believe it.

Try switching to an unscented soap, too. Or just plain try switching soaps. Different soaps have different pH levels and leave different types of residue on your skin, which may be absorbing or interfering with the scent.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by boxingfan View Post
    I am rocking three sprays of kouros, which was bomb for the first few second, and now no one can detect it without really having to sniff the air. I can't even tell unless I really try to in a tight small area like an elevator.
    Where do you apply the scent?

Try to apply the scent as far away from the nose as possible. What happens is if you spray too much in an area close to your nose (like your neck for example), the scent can overwhelm your sense of smell which can cause olfactory fatigue. Try spraying a couple of times on your chest, then putting your shirt on while your chest is still wet. Some of the scent will get on your shirt, which will make the scent last longer. You should also be able to smell it longer since you are not overloading your nose...

I am envious of you, as I can't spray on enough Gendarme.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
    Yeah... I've read quite a few things saying that Dia has the least projection of all the Amouage line. To think that when I smelled it I thought I could repell mosquitoes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    I am envious of you, as I can't spray on enough Gendarme.
    Gendarme works great on me. 2-3 sprays and I can smell it all day. I have not asked anyone around me if they still can in the evening. But I can still smell it, and that is what's important to me.

The only fragrance I've ever had disappear (to where I could no longer detect it) in less than 6 hours was Aigner Blue Emotion.

It could be a combination of my skin and my environment. I have naturally oily skin (which in my early teen years was a curse), and I live in an area that stays very humid most of the time.

Blog Entries

I have this problem too, it is so bad that I have a fear every time I try something new that the new scent is going to be overpowering even with a small application.
    Currently wearing: Stetson Country by Stetson

Could you guys who have a skin that projects well explain what kind of skin it is? what kind of skin care products do you use, etc...Help us!

I project well and find everything has ridiculous longevity on me. My chest area where I apply is actually more dry than oily, although it's not 'flaky skin' dry. I use Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash on my whole body (it's a great all natural cleanser with a very light scent, mostly of petitgrain, that fades almost immediately after washing it off).

I find that when I use lotion, it swallows up the scent and actually reduces longevity and projection. Lotion also can, in some instances, greatly change how a scent behaves on me. Reflection Man, for instance, becomes very flat and a bit overbearing when applying it after using some lotion, whereas without lotion it is far more luminescent and airy.

I think part of it is not only our skin, but the sensitivity of our noses. I suffered from multiple chemical sensitivity for quite some time, and during that time the tiniest sprays of most scents smelled like I had opened the bottle and poured it over myself. I've since overcome the MCS, but still find my nose more sensitive to smells than nearly all of my friends and also my g/f.

Lastly, and this is very important, is do NOT over apply and do NOT apply too close to your nose. Both of those things will make it harder to detect your scent. If you can't smell a scent but others compliment you on it or can still smell it, it's a sign that your nose is getting too much of the scent. Apply less and apply lower on your chest, possibly even only on your abdomen. I find most frags work best with 1 or 2 sprays just under the bottom of your sternum (basically, at the bottom center of your ribcage).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    Could you guys who have a skin that projects well explain what kind of skin it is? what kind of skin care products do you use, etc...Help us!
    Believe me, you don't want my skin type.
    I am way past my teens and still deal with adult acne.
    Need I say more? I sweat real easily, so I think spraying a few more spritzes of your favorite scent is better than "projecting" like someone like myself and my skin type.
    Currently wearing: Stetson Country by Stetson

Quote Originally Posted by odioustoilet View Post
    Believe me, you don't want my skin type.
    I am way past my teens and still deal with adult acne.
    Need I say more? I sweat real easily, so I think spraying a few more spritzes of your favorite scent is better than "projecting" like someone like myself and my skin type.
    Actually I sweat a lot as well and if I don't cleanse my face after that I get acne. My only problem is if I stay clean and shower daily my skin gets really dry