Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: New Fragrances: Amouage Memoir Man and Memoir Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    I actually got samples from Asia already, please read my Woman review. The men's was not great IMO, though modern and well done. It struck me as a better and more refined Commes de Garcons original (also like Gucci PH). Maybe it just paled next to the woman's, which is so good, I cannot wait to spend my grocery money on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    about memoir man, i totally agree with you on that...just like what I said at the top part of this thread, memoir man smelled similar to Gucci Ph.
    Yeah, I've found the male version of the last 2-3 Amouage releases pale in comparison to the women's, so I'm not at all surprised there.

Will have to test out Memoir Woman tomorrow...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ccck View Post
    ehhh where IS Hillaire's review?
    Fragrance directory - click on the Memoir Woman icon- it's the 1st one .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Being a huge Amouage fan, I'm planning on buying the Memoir Man when it gets in stock here in the US - The notes certainly do sound nice.

However, for all who have tried it, how much of a resemblence does it have with Ungaro I? According to zztop's review of Ungaro I the main focus of it is Wormwood, and wasn't sure if Memoir Man has the same booziness and dark feeling of Ungaro I.

I’m afraid I have to express my disappointment with both Memoir Man and Woman, more due to the fact that compared to Amouage’s last 2-3 ‘standard’ releases (Epic, Lyric, etc) these aren’t very original at all. Taking into account 50ml will cost £20 more than a 50ml bottle of Lyric (a 100ml bottle will cost an extra £10), I expected more originality. Granted, these are up to the usual high standards that Amouage is renowned for but there was just too much déjà vu to get excited about. Furthermore, they smelt more mainstream than niche.

So, what do they smell like? Well, if I had to sum them up, it would be something like this:

Memoir Man: a fresher version of Gucci pour Homme (not sure if Gucci pour Homme II would come into the equation, as I haven’t smelt it in a very long time).

Memoir Woman: a fusion of two Serge Lutens releases, Cedre (1:3) and Serge Noir (2:3), with discreet sillage and good (but not stellar) longevity.

The first thing that I said to myself, after smelling these for the first time, was ‘It that it?’ That’s how underwhelming I found them. Let’s put it this way, after trying the Memoirs, the quality of Opus III (which I tried again, shortly afterwards) shone through even more – heightened in comparison to the ‘blandness’ of the Memoirs.

So, no, I won’t be buying either of them but am now seriously considering a bottle of Opus III. I’m also really looking forward to the release of Opus IV before the end of the year (Opus V will be out in 2011)…

Thanks Trebor! Too bad... any REAL leather as a prominent note though?

With regards to Memoir Woman, hardly any. But then again, I'm not much of a leather frag expert. Woods, tuberose, incense and labdanum were the main players to my nose (the fenugreek's there but less prominent).

I'll try them when they are available at our local store here... thanks, but it does sound less and less hopeful

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I'll try them when they are available at our local store here... thanks, but it does sound less and less hopeful
    hey man don't be discouraged by one or two negative reviews. One of the beauties of Amouage is how some of its scents can create such polarizing opinions. I remember reading so many reviews of Epic man and was completely ready for a disappointment when the sample arrived. As it turned out, Epic wasn't as bad as the reviews said - it's true that the scent wasn't groundbreaking, but its composition was exquisite, and I yearn for a bottle of it.

I guess most of us here are expecting something special and outstanding for the money that Amouage is charging, but then again, in an interview with Christopher Chong, he did mention that he does not believe in originality, but re-interpretation, and at the end of the day, perfume should smell good. To that end, I have come not to expect anything amazingly groundbreaking like Coty's Chypre or Houbigant's Fougere (abit hyperbolic here >_<).

However, I still enjoy reading reviews, both good and bad, because it gives me a more balanced understanding of the scent, and it tampers my expectations, so much so that I approach a scent with a neutral stance. That way, I can smell it with "a clean nose and mind", because I realized that our minds tend to "create" a smell of something we have never smelled before based on reviews (and if its from a brand we love, we tend to want it to smell good). When we really smell the scent, and if it doesn't fit according to what we created in our mind, we get disappointed. I'm not saying that this was what happened to Trebor, but I have had this experience before.

Anyhows, I just bought Memoir blind And I got Ciel to go along with it!
    Last edited by ccck; 24th September 2010 at 03:27 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I’m afraid I have to express my disappointment with both Memoir Man and Woman, more due to the fact that compared to Amouage’s last 2-3 ‘standard’ releases (Epic, Lyric, etc) these aren’t very original at all. Taking into account 50ml will cost £20 more than a 50ml bottle of Lyric (a 100ml bottle will cost an extra £10), I expected more originality. Granted, these are up to the usual high standards that Amouage is renowned for but there was just too much déjà vu to get excited about. Furthermore, they smelt more mainstream than niche.

So, what do they smell like? Well, if I had to sum them up, it would be something like this:

Memoir Man: a fresher version of Gucci pour Homme (not sure if Gucci pour Homme II would come into the equation, as I haven’t smelt it in a very long time).

Memoir Woman: a fusion of two Serge Lutens releases, Cedre (1:3) and Serge Noir (2:3), with discreet sillage and good (but not stellar) longevity.

The first thing that I said to myself, after smelling these for the first time, was ‘It that it?’ That’s how underwhelming I found them. Let’s put it this way, after trying the Memoirs, the quality of Opus III (which I tried again, shortly afterwards) shone through even more – heightened in comparison to the ‘blandness’ of the Memoirs.

So, no, I won’t be buying either of them but am now seriously considering a bottle of Opus III. I’m also really looking forward to the release of Opus IV before the end of the year (Opus V will be out in 2011)…
    I'm looking forward to testing out Opus I ,II and III for sure. I got some good samples from Raffy .

Quote Originally Posted by ccck View Post
    hey man don't be discouraged by one or two negative reviews.
    I have no special affinity for the house Amouage (I love Lyric Woman and very much like Ubar). There are others that convince me more as a whole or from their concept. I also very well know what I like and what I fall for in the end My first sigh was "pepper", second I was not terribly excited about Hillaire's review (in the sense whether it is made for me) and third, yes, I did expect bloody leather in it since Amouage in Oman must be rather free to use whatever ingredient in their creations. Yes, it sounds like playing it 'safe' here, but we'll see...

Anyhows, I just bought Memoir blind And I got Ciel to go along with it!
    i like your style, man!.......

I think comparing Memoir Man to Gucci PH and leaving it at this is doing a big disservice to both fragrances, really. There are quite a few differences and while they do share some elements of their woody/incense/amber accord, it's grossly misleading to say they are the same. It would be like saying Jaisalmer and Ouarzazate are the same or something, just because they are both incense oriented. While I respect Trebor's opinion I just want people to know that there are some (myself and Mr. Reasonable, at least) that do not find them to be so similar.

I've yet to give Memoir Woman a full test but I pick up a serious Poison by Dior vibe when sniffing under the cap. Does anyone else get that comparison at all? The anise, jasmine and white petal accord come together in a grapey-jasmine way that immediately called to mind Poison. I imagine the drydown will be quite different, but still, lovers of the original Poison (Sugarandja, where are you? ) may want to check this one out.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

It's funny that Trebor drew a comparison between Serge Noir and Memoir Woman. I can see the comparison there and it is apt. To my nose, I'd say Memoir woman is more like Dior's Poison + Serge Noire + some chypre qualities.

Funnily enough, I was trying to think of what Memoir Man compares to and, having somehow missed Trebor's comparison above, also thought of Serge Noire. To me, Memoir Man is something like: Fou d'Absinthe + Gucci PH + Serge Noire + Salvador Dali PH.

It took me a few wearings on skin to get all of the depth of Memoir Man. On a card the opening accord of absinthe + a hint of woods and incense and anise stays for quite some time, and I can see where it may lead one to think of a "fresher Gucci PH." It is definitely greener and more aromatic up top!

The aromatic and green top segues into a lavender absolute (this smells green, with hints of berry and jasmine) and incensey woody heart, and then finally into a slightly ashen dry down that calls to mind the embers of a dying flame. I detect oakmoss, sandalwood, a smoky vetiver, a good dose of burned incense (it smells most like burned opoponax, which smells kind of like burned myrrh without the brown sugar nuances) and a hint of tarry leather (like that found in Dali PH) in the drydown, and it is fantastic.

Don't test this on a card, and don't give up on it after only a single wearing. It's a fantastic scent, one of the best and most creative in the Amouage line, imo.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Amoauge now have these listed on their site: http://www.amouage.com/memoir/
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Now available at Luckyscent! http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...emoir_Man.html

The women's is also available. The cool thing is that these are the least expensive releases from Amouage in a long time. Now, of course, they're still obscenely expensive, but just a little less obscene. Only $260 for the mens.. it's the cheapest men's scent they've got listed there along with Silver Man.

The really odd thing is that the Amouage site's official pricing has it at the same price as Epic and Dia. Do you think this is just a Luckyscent promotional thing? Does Luckyscent ever (or usually?) offer a slightly reduced price on pre-orders?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Eleanore

Will be ordering a sample soon as Amouage is one of my favorite houses. The bottle is very off putting though; it reminds me of Serge Lutens` Serge Noir and that was a ghastly perfume on me.

Well, there is a hint of Serge Noire in both of these fragrances. If I had to compare them to a combination of other scents: say the men's smells like a mix of Fou d'Absinthe, Serge Noire, and Gucci PH, while the women's smells like a mix of the original Poison, Serge Noire, and a hint of Alien.

These are the least traditionally "Amouage" of the scents they've put out - very dark and almost gothic. Both are still lush, beautiful and powerful, however.

edit: There's some connection between Encre Noire and Memoir Man, too - mostly in their dark/smoothness.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 30th September 2010 at 05:02 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Thanks to this thread I ran over to the mall and tested these yesterday. Memoir Man is too stark for me. Woman, though, was quite lovely. I got a little fenugreek, some black molasses, a lot of clove, and then a little soapy floral hiding waaaaay back there. Toasty warm, dark and oddly comforting - not my idea of gothic. With Amouage I expect a beautiful, inspired perfume with high quality ingredients, and Memoir Woman delivers that. It doesn't pique me enough for a full bottle, but I might buy a sample to give it time to grow on me.

Of the recent Amouage releases I have most enjoyed Opus III. Less original than Memoir, but a beautiful, easy wear. I see it on the distant FB horizon...
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bon Vivant View Post
    Of the recent Amouage releases I have most enjoyed Opus III. Less original than Memoir, but a beautiful, easy wear. I see it on the distant FB horizon...
    Opus III seems to have quite a naturally handled violet note set in an almost "amped up Eau de Cologne" framework for me. I enjoy this once the top settles down a bit.

Is it just me, or does Opus III smell the most natural of all the Amouage releases?

I'm pretty sure Off-Scenter doesn't think so, based on his review, but what he reads as aldehydes I read as ylang + carnation + a hint of sipce and a bit of dry wood (the papyrus note.. maybe something like copaiba balsam, himalaya cedar or something similar). While there may be aldehydes present they definitely don't hit me with that waxiness that is so present in scents like No. 5, Dia Woman, Gold Man, etc. Those aldehydes always seem to have a bit of a light/shimmery quality too (which is odd, given their waxiness.. maybe it's the juxtaposition of those two odd qualities that makes them rather unpleasant to me), while Opus III just seems so full, round, and almost weighty, right from the get go.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Basenotes Institution

Does anyone else think Opus III smells like L'Heure Bleue ( in extrait ) ? It is easily my favorite.
    I ordered samples of Memoir Woman - just dying to try it out !

I think Opus 3 is the most linear, classic, and mature scent in Library Collection. It is super strong, very feminin, and like Mimi Gardenia and others said, Opus 3 reminds us of Guerlain L'Heure Bleue. With Opus trio, I think Amouage is quite smart. Opus 1 is sharp and daring. Opus 2 is enjoyable and wearable. Opus 3 is standard and mature. Anyone can choose for himself (at least ) one Opus easily.

Sculptureofsoul, I think Opus 2 is more natural than Opus 3. I love 2, and just wish it could be as strong ans 1 and 3.
    Last edited by chocolateguy; 30th September 2010 at 12:05 PM.

Basenotes Institution

chocolateguy- thanks for the affirmation re. L'Heure Bleue and Opus III.
    Sculpture - you say Memoir Woman smells like Poison somewhat ?? That's wonderful ! I can't wait to sample ! I also love black perfume bottles - a weakness of mine . I won't know what to do with myself if I fall in love with it ... Amouage is so stinkingly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post
    I think Opus 3 is the most linear, classic, and mature scent in Library Collection. It is super strong, very feminin, and like Mimi Gardenia and others said, Opus 3 reminds us of Guerlain L'Heure Bleue. With Opus trio, I think Amouage is quite smart. Opus 1 is sharp and daring. Opus 2 is enjoyable and wearable. Opus 3 is standard and mature. Anyone can choose for himself (at least ) one Opus easily.

Sculptureofsoul, I think Opus 2 is more natural than Opus 3. I love 2, and just wish it could be as strong ans 1 and 3.
    Opus II does seem very natural too, and its behavior (very loud opening that quickly tapers off) does follow the course of most naturals. I guess it's just the roundness and softness of Opus III that makes it feel so natural to me, even though II very well may be more natural.

I am officially in love with Memoir Man. It basically takes the best parts of Salvador Dali, Gucci PH, Fou d'Absinthe, Encre Noire and Serge Noire and a hint of Epic Man and combines them into one fragrance. It is deep, dark, brooding, introspective, and very very beautiful. I was going to ask for Opus II for Christmas (I still really want it!), but I think I want Memoir Man first. Problem is.. I really don't need 100ml of it, but it's not worth saving a few bucks for the 50ml. I wonder if anyone would be interested in a split...

a random aside: yesterday, while wearing Memoir Man, I was surrounded by a couple of huge ravens. I haven't even seen any ravens in quite some time. What a weird coincidence (if you go to the Memoir section on the Amouage site, you'll see the black feather theme they've got going on.. granted, I think that's tied into the Black Swan story, but still.. an odd coincidence).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Problem is.. I really don't need 100ml of it, but it's not worth saving a few bucks for the 50ml. I wonder if anyone would be interested in a split...

This always works out to my benefit, getting the larger, as I can decant 30 ml and it usually has some 'clout' in the swap market.

I just ordered samples of both Memoir Man and Woman.... I'm really looking forward to trying these.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Basenotes Institution

If I was going to get Memoir- I would opt for the 100 ml size- it does seem more cost effective in the end. Your raven experience , Sculpture- a bizarre coicidence !

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    This always works out to my benefit, getting the larger, as I can decant 30 ml and it usually has some 'clout' in the swap market.
    I should probably do this with my Lyric Man. I've still got about 97% of my 100ml bottle and it's been almost a year since I picked it up. Even Reflection Man, which I wear the most by far, is still at about 75% after a year. Being a one (occasionally two) spray wearer for such strong scents as these, they do have a habit of lasting forever!

I've been thinking of just picking up maybe 10ml worth in the form of official samples. That would last me a looong time. But.. damnit, I want the bottle!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I`m very curious about these two. Hoping that someone offer decants of it in the decant sites...

Looks like Parfums Raffy now has the Memoir duo. With the Basenotes plus discount, that's a good price. (Ok, still obscenely expensive, but hey, every little discount helps!)
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I ordered a big bottle of memoir women from parfume raffy. 10% off plus free amouage samples. Thanks SOS for the inform.

I am officially in love with Memoir Man. It basically takes the best parts of Salvador Dali, Gucci PH, Fou d'Absinthe, Encre Noire and Serge Noire and a hint of Epic Man and combines them into one fragrance. It is deep, dark, brooding, introspective, and very very beautiful.
    I completely agree. The ghosts of those fragrances hover within Memoir Man, but never taking center stage too long making Memoir Man a mesmerizing wear. I also must say that Memoir Woman is just as compelling to me, the ghosts may be a little different, but you will get hopelessly lost in it as well.

Regards,
    Steve

Basenotes Institution

I am testing out Memoir Woman right now- so far ...excellent. A dark ,broody floral chypre - elegant and supremely unisex. It's really quite wonderful to see a perfume house produce a REAL chypre of this calibre .

i think this is going to be another blind buy..........yeah, i know!!!

For those who've tested Memoir Women.. do you get any relation to Poison? It's been so long since I've smelled Poison, but yet upon smelling Memoir Woman's top notes it was the first thing that came to mind.

I disagree with Memoir Woman being particularly unisex. Once it dries down for a few hours it is unisex, but the opening boozy, floral, jasmine heavy scent is decidedly feminine, imo.

Memoir Woman is more ostentatious and seemingly interesting on first sniff, but I still far prefer Memoir Man. It is masculine throughout, and has the most realistic wormwood oil (the oil, not the live plant) opening I"ve ever smelled. I LOVE the smell of wormwood oil, and this is simply amazing.

For anyone else who has tested it.. do you get a slightly skunky phase after about 10 minutes or so, lasting for a short bit? Skunky sounds bad, but on me it's actually very very pleasant because it's just a hint of skunkiness that lurks behind the scent and adds intrigue via contrast - the way perfumers often use civet against florals to make the sum better than the parts.

I tested this scent against Gucci PH, Encre Noire, and Serge Noire, and find it far more interesting, complex, layered, and long lasting than any of them. It's by far the finest dark, brooding, and introspective scent I've ever smelled, and I can safely say it is in my top 4. I could very well see this scent becoming my #1, in fact.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Poison!? Wow, every review I've read of this just makes me want it more.

I think you'd LOVE this scent as long as you don't mind a dark, woody/incense/ashy and yet still slightly feminine drydown.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I absolutely get a Poison vibe at the beginning of Memoir Woman. But once the middle and base start warming up it opens up it leaves Poison in the dust. Memoir is so much more controlled and so beautifully blended.

Regards,
    Steve

Basenotes Institution

Yes, there is a Poison type vibe due to the tuberose I think. I adore Memoir Woman . Me want !

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post
    ...like Mimi Gardenia and others said, Opus 3 reminds us of Guerlain L'Heure Bleue.
    So that's why I like it so much! Went back and sniffed the smelling strip and there is still a hint of of spice and praline. You guys are too cool!

Anyway, back to Memoir, I get a Poison vibe from a concord grape accord that's lurking in there. But I don't think I would immediately connect the two. The perfumers did a great job of making Woman is its own beast.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

I planned to order a bottle of Memoir Man but don't need a full 100ml. If anyone else feels the same way please contact me.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Basenotes Institution

Tested Memoir Man - I think I like even more than Memoir Woman - it's distinctly different - great opening notes.

I planned to order a bottle of Memoir Man but don't need a full 100ml. If anyone else feels the same way please contact me.
    I wish I could share a 100ml Memoir Man with you Sculptureofsoul. Because of your more-than-good reviews about Memoir, I already blindbought this one 3 weeks ago :P

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Tested Memoir Man - I think I like even more than Memoir Woman - it's distinctly different - great opening notes.
    I can see why many would think Memoir Woman is the more interesting of the two after a quick sampling, but I think in the end Man is actually the more interesting of the two. The only problem I have with Woman (at least, on my own skin) is that it is a bit too sweet throughout.

I too really love the opening notes of Memoir Man. It's the best wormwood oil note I've ever smelled - it smells like a really high quality wormwood essential oil I have, with just a bit more body provided by the basil and mint leaf. Wormwood oil smells so darn good - it is very smooth, aromatic, green and minty, deeper and greener than spearmint. It is quite sweet (and simultaneously bitter) too, and so is the opening stage of Memoir Man, eventually giving way to the smoother incense heart (the phase that smells kind of like Gucci PH), and then getting downright ashy and woody, before all of that finally relents 10+ hours later and a lemony frankincense note is all that is left on skin. I love that the ending is a bit lighter/brighter than the rest of the scent.. it's a happy ending to the dark and introspective ride.

Chocolateguy - I hope you are enjoying it and didn't find my reviews to be too off the mark!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Basenotes Institution

I can see why many would think Memoir Woman is the more interesting of the two after a quick sampling, but I think in the end Man is actually the more interesting of the two. The only problem I have with Woman (at least, on my own skin) is that it is a bit too sweet throughout.

I too really love the opening notes of Memoir Man. It's the best wormwood oil note I've ever smelled - it smells like a really high quality wormwood essential oil I have, with just a bit more body provided by the basil and mint leaf. Wormwood oil smells so darn good - it is very smooth, aromatic, green and minty, deeper and greener than spearmint. It is quite sweet (and simultaneously bitter) too, and so is the opening stage of Memoir Man, eventually giving way to the smoother incense heart (the phase that smells kind of like Gucci PH), and then getting downright ashy and woody, before all of that finally relents 10+ hours later and a lemony frankincense note is all that is left on skin. I love that the ending is a bit lighter/brighter than the rest of the scent.. it's a happy ending to the dark and introspective ride.
    Yes, SoS- Memoir woman is much 'thicker' in feel and sweeter - it's more floral dense. Memoir Man top notes are really really very good. I concur with all you have said with the incense and the lighter ending.It's less broody than Memoir Woman . Actually, the opening notes remind me of Hermessence Paprika Brasil .

So.. which one are you going to get Mimi?

Both?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Basenotes Institution

So.. which one are you going to get Mimi?

Both?
    Do NOT tempt me !!!!!!!!!!! *LOL* Both are fabulous. My bank account will die..............

I hope my g/f loves Memoir Woman once she gets to test it. I know I keep saying it doesn't stand up to the men's but that's not really true, objectively. I just mean that as a man, and one who is looking for a smooth, dark, ashy, and very masculine scent, Man is far more up my alley. Woman is pretty amazing in its own right though, and I think it might be my favorite Amouage feminine to date. I do really like Jubilation 25, and Epic Woman is very nice, but Memoir Woman just.. well, it has more immediate passion to it.

It would go great with her new purple wool coat, too.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by RSharma314 View Post
    Being a huge Amouage fan, I'm planning on buying the Memoir Man when it gets in stock here in the US - The notes certainly do sound nice.

However, for all who have tried it, how much of a resemblence does it have with Ungaro I? According to zztop's review of Ungaro I the main focus of it is Wormwood, and wasn't sure if Memoir Man has the same booziness and dark feeling of Ungaro I.
    I finally purchased and tested the Memoir Man. SOS's review of Memoir Man is spot on - the wormwood essence is very real (combined with Amouage's frankincense note), however, lasts for only 15 minutes on me, and then transitions to a minty green mid note. The transition between the mid to the base remins me of Tribute and Epic Man, and the base note (that lasts forever, as always) is a mossy dark essence which is satisfying, however, I know that this has been done before in previous non-Amouage fragrances.

The revelance of Memoir Man's and Ungaro I is very remote, however, they do come from the same heavier incense-like genre which I absolutely love. If you like Epic, you will love Memoir for sure.

RSharma, I'm glad you are mostly enjoying Memoir Man. I'm curious in what fragrance(s) you've smelled such a strong smoky/ashy incense note because I'd really like to try them!

To me, the only ones that come close are Dali PH and Serge Noire, although I think that the incense in Memoir Man is drier and smokier than both. I do get just a hint of a minty/green note well into the drydown - it's faint but it seems to be lurking in the background.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

SoS, I don't have an extensive collection, and haven't tried very many frangrances. However, from the ones I've tried (from My Wardrobe), Tribute is THE most smokiest one. In Memoir, the smoky/ashy note is nothing less than what I smell in Tribute coupled with a distinct Epic note.

Basenotes Institution

If you like Epic, you will love Memoir for sure.
    I agree with this if Epic man smells something like Epic Woman . I love Epic !

SoS, I don't have an extensive collection, and haven't tried very many frangrances. However, from the ones I've tried (from My Wardrobe), Tribute is THE most smokiest one. In Memoir, the smoky/ashy note is nothing less than what I smell in Tribute coupled with a distinct Epic note.
    Nice to hear this RSharma - I noticed that Tribute note about half an hour in the first time I tried Memoir Man and then spent several wearings after looking for it. It's elusive for me, just popping into frame every few times I wear it - who knows why? Time of day, local climate, wind factor, mercury retrograde (and who really cares?), but when it does make an appearance it is incredibly distinct. I like the fact that different facets come into play depending on body heat or whatever - makes life interesting.

As expected, with even just a moderate temperature drop (from 33c+ average down to 25c with less humidity) Memoir Man is far more enjoyable for me and I'm pretty sure it will get better into the teens - it's a beautiful scent.

Alright, with my recent purchase from the UK came two big official samples of both Memoir Man and Woman... so, I have a chance to try them before they are out here in Austria.
    Hmmm, I was in for a surprise. I'm hard-pressed to say that this is the first Amouage scent that I might actually prefer the Man to the Woman.
    First the Woman: Sorry, it smells very artificial to me (Prove me wrong! But when checking the notes list something like Opulent white blossoms and Precious dark woods or similar does not reek of luxury to me). I also found it rather cloying and actually, I think this cloyingness and "weight" renders it difficult for me personally to pull off as a man. It's the base that makes it more and more pleasant to my nose, but still that "artificial note" stays until the end.
    The Man does not smell hugely inspired. I think Trebor is right, but I would prefer Memoir Man much over Epic Man, which I found unbearable. Period.
    Longevity was surprising... Woman was medium to okay on me, whereas Man is really smashing. Just compare it to Opus II, which is really short to medium lived on me.
    I'll need more time with both, in particular Man. I'm not going to find a new love here, but Man is worth exploring further. Does it fit my style? I don't know yet.

Well, I've finally tried Memoir Woman, and... and... and... It's looking like Kilian's Love & Tears is staying as my jasmine of the year.

I'm sorry, I wanted to love this so, so much, but it's just not doing it to me. It smells like good old Serge decided to add jasmine to his seemingly endless Bois series, but just like the Bois series, there's this peculiar sour plummy-woody accord that just spoils it for me. This is Bois Et Jasmin, the member of the Bois series that could exist, but doesn't.

I definitely get that vividly grapey jasmine note, though not as loud as Poison or Alien, and somehow less vital, to boot. It's also surprisingly transparent for such a dark-smelling fragrance. It's not a bad fragrance in the least, it's just really not how I thought it would be.

I will try this another day, but for me, it's no Ubar. ( Or even Jubilation 25... )

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Nice to hear this RSharma - I noticed that Tribute note about half an hour in the first time I tried Memoir Man and then spent several wearings after looking for it. It's elusive for me, just popping into frame every few times I wear it - who knows why? Time of day, local climate, wind factor, mercury retrograde (and who really cares?), but when it does make an appearance it is incredibly distinct. I like the fact that different facets come into play depending on body heat or whatever - makes life interesting.

As expected, with even just a moderate temperature drop (from 33c+ average down to 25c with less humidity) Memoir Man is far more enjoyable for me and I'm pretty sure it will get better into the teens - it's a beautiful scent.
    So is the Tribute note you pick up on just an ashiness or is it something else? I really need to get a sample of tribute one of these days. Also curious: which of the two is darker, more somber, more introspective, etc?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

So is the Tribute note you pick up on just an ashiness or is it something else? I really need to get a sample of tribute one of these days. Also curious: which of the two is darker, more somber, more introspective, etc?
    You really need to check out Tribute SOS I didn't buy it but the LS sample is still going strong - plenty of wearings from a few ml. I even tried the 1 part Tribute to 2 parts Homage mix someone suggested but it seemed a bit pointless to me.

I just get a flash of this note sometimes in the first half hour - it's there and it's gone but it is uniquely Tribute. I think it may be something to do with a confluence of the tobacco / vetiver / herbal side of things. Tribute has an herbal earthy vibe (utterly different from Homage) that appeals to me. I can't put my finger on it but it hints at a classic male style from when I was younger and I did notice a fleeting similarity to Derby. I stuck the notes on the other Memoir Man thread - best I can do. It's not an ashy thing.

Tribute is quite an upstanding earthy one for me - Memoir Man is more Heathcliffian . . . broody and moody.

... I even tried the 1 part Tribute to 2 parts Homage mix someone suggested ...
    Dullah had made the suggestion here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/246...=1#post1874546
    I tried this a couple of weeks back and I really like it. I find Tribute a little harsh in the drydown (due to the Green Vetiver - it can very well overpower the scent), and find Homage too feminine in the top notes (due to the floral blast of the rose-jasmine combo). However, by blending both of these, they somewhat masked each other out and gave an excellent odour profile that mellowed both of these facets.

... Tribute has an herbal earthy vibe ...
    That is undoubtly the Green Vetiver from India (Ruh Khus). Its odour profile is different than the brown version that is more readily available. I believe for the oil to become green in colour, they distill the Vetiver roots in traditional Copper stills using very slow/low heat (rather than the regular steel stills). More information here: http://www.vetiver.org/ICV3-Proceedings/IND_vetoil.pdf.
    Last edited by RSharma314; 15th October 2010 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Well, I've finally tried Memoir Woman, and... and... and... It's looking like Kilian's Love & Tears is staying as my jasmine of the year.

I'm sorry, I wanted to love this so, so much, but it's just not doing it to me. It smells like good old Serge decided to add jasmine to his seemingly endless Bois series, but just like the Bois series, there's this peculiar sour plummy-woody accord that just spoils it for me. This is Bois Et Jasmin, the member of the Bois series that could exist, but doesn't.

I definitely get that vividly grapey jasmine note, though not as loud as Poison or Alien, and somehow less vital, to boot. It's also surprisingly transparent for such a dark-smelling fragrance. It's not a bad fragrance in the least, it's just really not how I thought it would be.

I will try this another day, but for me, it's no Ubar. ( Or even Jubilation 25... )
    Well, it's nice to hear that I'm not the only one getting a rehashed Serge Lutens vibe from Memoir Woman. Based on what they're charging for a bottle, I expected something much more than a weak ode to Lutens' woody/incense creations. But originality is not the real issue here - it's more about substance...

Btw, I really liked Tribute but the cedar-dominated drydown ruined it for me. I mean of all the notes they had at their disposal, they chose the one note that's been overused in even the most generic of masculine designer scents. Pfff!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Well, it's nice to hear that I'm not the only one getting a rehashed Serge Lutens vibe from Memoir Woman. Based on what they're charging for a bottle, I expected something much more than a weak ode to Lutens' woody/incense creations. But originality is not the real issue here - it's more about substance...
    I sprayed Memoire W on my jacket sleeve yesterday morning and 24 hours later it's still a giant, JASMINE BOMB. I think it leans heavily towards Poison, with a huge dose of frankincense added. When these two notes are in harmony, it's quite captivating, but when the jasmine wins out, it's the big 80s all over again. Ubar is my choice when it comes to loud Amouage feminines.