Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Sept. 4, 2010 ★★★ OPPOSITE GENDER

My sniff'n'speak frag for yesterday was EQUISTRIUS by Parfums d'Empire. I'm not entirely sure it is marketed at the chaps, but for SnS day I chose something that I have not tried before but sounds as if it is very chap-like.

I have had this store sample for a couple of years but was put off trying it by the blurb: apparently it conjours up the smell of Roman horses and stables, but fortunately for everyone around me it was a little easier on the nose. I loved the iris and I'm on a bit of an iris kick at the moment. Equistrius felt opulant and complex and I enjoyed it.

Notes include orris, violet, rice powder, chocolate, ambrette butter, ambergris, sandalwood, vetiver, grey amber.

So I may not have worn a chap's scent , I didn't get the chocolate, and I didn't smell like horse dung. Did I fall at the first hurdle?
    Reformulation without information is fraud. Call the police.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Sept. 4, 2010 ★★★ OPPOSITE GENDER

Just got back from the French Alps and smelled the most amazing opposite gender fragrance on an older man with a very french moustache. I just had to ask him what it was: Habit Rouge by Guerlain. (He was very flattered that I asked) So I know what I'll be sampling tomorrow as soon as the stores open!! Does anyone know Habit Rouge? Do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Klute View Post
    Just got back from the French Alps and smelled the most amazing opposite gender fragrance on an older man with a very french moustache. I just had to ask him what it was: Habit Rouge by Guerlain. (He was very flattered that I asked) So I know what I'll be sampling tomorrow as soon as the stores open!! Does anyone know Habit Rouge? Do you like it?
    Habit Rouge is a favorite among basenotes men. Try to find a vintage bottle. By all accounts, the modern bottles aren't as velvety smooth. My new-ish bottle of the EdT comes on with a very strong, sour citrus note. Takes forever to get to the sweet drydown. If you were responding to the citrus notes then the modern version might be for you. Otherwise, it'll take a little shopping.

Blog Entries

I wore Dior Eau Noire. Visited friends in the country and it just wasn't a day for experimenting with Kouros. Eau Noire doesn't read as noticeably masculine to my nose, I find it completely gender-neutral, which sort of defeats the purpose, but, eh, another day...

Quote Originally Posted by Klute View Post
    I agree with Cologne Guy on this. Habit Rouge is a men's classic, but quite gender neutral. The vintage cologne version is wonderful, but the modern EDT is nice and crisp, and still has a nice leather vanilla bottom note.

I have tried all versions and this is wonderful! (It even comes in parfum strength, which was released in a limited version numbered set of bottles.) The EDP was released in North America as Beau Cavalier, and has the addition of rich agarwood (oud).
    "...her fragrance all in my keeping; softly she comes in the night." Lyrics, Gordon Lightfoot, "Softly."