Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Smile All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Sept. 4, 2010 ★★★ OPPOSITE GENDER

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance
    OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Oriental Jan. 2007, Jan. 2008, Jan. 2009, Jan. 2010
    Animalic Feb. 2007, Feb. 2008, Feb. 2009, Feb. 2010
    Chypre March 2007, March 2008, March 2009, March 2010
    Floral April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, April 2010
    Fruity May 2007, May 2008, May 2009, May 2010
    Citrus June 2007, June 2008, June 2009, June 2010
    Green July 2008, July 2009, July 2010
    Fresh Aug. 2008, Aug. 2009, Aug. 2010
    Fougere Sept. 2007
    Opposite Gender Sept. 2008, Sept. 2009
    Ambery Oct. 2007, Oct. 2008, Oct. 2009
    Spicy Nov. 2007, Nov. 2008, Nov. 2009
    Gourmand Dec. 2007, Dec. 2008, Dec. 2009
    For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Sept. 4, 2010 ★★★ OPPOSITE GENDER

I've seen this mentioned before but haven't taken part, it sounds like fun!!! Opposite gender, oh my, my husband will get a kick out of this, lol.

Blog Entries

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Sept. 4, 2010 ★★★ OPPOSITE GENDER

you mean for the girls we sniff mens cologne?
    i'm i getting this right

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Yay, Kili-neighbor, glad to have you butch up and join in. Think we can get your husband to wear a floral?

Yes, Weimar, guys wear women's fragrances and the gals wear the men's.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Hmm...what to wear? It can't be unisex but truly butch to be a real gender bender. Maybe Antaeus. It's a long time between now and Saturday, though. Anything can happen.

Basenotes Plus

if it's foggy here, I will likely opt for one of the lavendar male scents I own- mauboussin pour homme or grey flannel; if it's warm out something more citrusy- Balman perhaps?? we'll see. What fun.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

OHBOY OHBOY!!!

Got LOTSA guy stuff. But sure wish I had some of Daddy's old fave - Knize 10.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

As fate would have it, our tenant got laid off, so he decided he'd move to Indiana to live with his girlfriend. He packed up and left last weekend, leaving odds and ends, among which my husband found two men's fragrances: Burberry and Mem English Leather (Mem being the original producer; Dana being the later and the lesser-praised reissue). So I'm planning on sampling vintage English Leather.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Yay, Kili-neighbor, glad to have you butch up and join in. Think we can get your husband to wear a floral?

Yes, Weimar, guys wear women's fragrances and the gals wear the men's.
    LOL, Quarry, I have a hard time getting him to wear men's fragrances, so I don't think there's much chance of that happening. I will ask him though, just to see the look on his face, lol.

Oooh, Quarry, that sounds great. I have a bottle of the Dana and it's nice enough but I hear the original is rilly gooooood.

This might just be my favourite SnS of the year, yanno? It is the reason I embraced masculine scents a couple of years back and I think that was the moment my mind really started to broaden on what I like and enjoy wearing. Now I have a great collection of masculines! So I might wear anything from Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin to Eau d'Hermes or even raid the samples collection and embrace Yatagan (Yippeee!!!!!).
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Fun fun fun! I may have to go and brave Kouros at the department store if I have time, just because. Otherwise I'll probably end up wearing Eau Noire.

If I get a chance, I want to re-try Dirty English. I recall this is a men's scent but I really liked sniffing it at the store. Otherwise, I will raid my extensive "boys'" scents in my wardrobe.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Oh what fun! I was wanting to try Encre Noir by Lalique, for my boyfriend really, but I am going to wear it on Saturday!!!

A fun one! Easy would be Dior Homme (which I am wearing now), or even Terre D'Hermes. More challenging...hmmm, let me think about it. I want to sample Egoiste, maybe I'll try to find some.

Basenotes Institution

Dior Homme and Terres D'Hermes are wonderful choices but as I have neither - I will have to wear Dior's Eau Sauvage.

A-ha ! Just remembered ! I do have samples of VIP by Usher I could wear !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I'm dying to give my En Avion EdP sample another full wearing, anyway. So, I'll join in tomorrow

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Sept. 4, 2010 OPPOSITE GENDER

I only have a few so it would have to be Terre de Hermes, John Varvatos Artisan, or Lacoste Essential EDT pour Homme. I think I'll go with Artisan.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

HM by Hanae Mori

I was a little lazy not searching out any new men’s fragrances to try for today’s SnS. I found a sample of HM among my hubby’s things. It was one I brought home for him to try, but he’s never even taken a sniff. It’s fruity and somewhat sweet in the beginning - I almost get an impression of a freshly sliced pineapple - mouth watering. Earthy and woodier toward drydown and a touch of aromatics (lavender and ??) that lingers. It’s very pleasant to wear, not overly self-consciously butch, just nice and easy on the nose. It wouldn’t lure me away from my feminine frags, but I could wear it as an occasional alternative, and I definitely wouldn’t mind smelling it on my husband – if I could persuade him to wear fragrance that is.

Citrus, lavender, nutmeg, jasmine, iris, lily of the valley, Bulgarian rose, moss, cedar, tonka, vanilla, chocolate, amber.

p.s. I love simple, elegant bottles like this.

I can always tell when either of my sons is wearing Dior Homme,
    because I always have to comment on how great they smell.
    I just love the cool, grey iris note that sets the tone of understated
    elegance. I have a mini spray of the edt and wear it when I want to
    feel cool, calm and collected.
    I think this is fine on a man or a woman and feel the same way avout
    Eau Sauvage too.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

I dug through hubby's sample box for something new.

Came up with Canali Men. I remember buying the sample for him to try, based strictly on the notes. He thought it smelled nice but unremarkable and it's been in the sample box unused for over a year.

I find it pleasant but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to recognize it if he or another man (or woman!) were to wear it again. I would notice only that someone smelled good.

The notes:

Top Notes
    Bergamot, Mandarin, Pineapple, Apple, Coriander, Nutmeg, Cardamom.

Middle Notes
    Muguet, Jasmine, Orange blossom, Violet.

Base Notes
    Iris essence, Leather, Guaiacum wood, Cedar wood, Oak musk, Sandalwood, Vetyver, Tonka bean, Amber.

The sweet fruits dissipate after 15 minutes or so. It evolves to a pleasant spicy wood with a touch of leather--a very typical male fragrance that most men would enjoy and which doesn't smell out of character on a woman, either.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I agree with you on the likability/wearability of HM for men, Lilybelle.

Sampling Mem-made English Leather for now. Not much to shout about, but at least it's not offensive at all.
    May turn to Creed Aventus later.
    There's a hint of Burberry for men (version #2, 1992) in the air, because that's what I sprayed at the cat to get him off the table this morning. (If I had a dollar for every time I've said, "Off the table, Clay," I could buy that 8.4 oz. bottle of Creed Aubepine Acacia I see sitting on ebay.)

Both the Burberry and the English Leather were left by our exiting tenant. Anybody who'll cover the postage can have them if they like, otherwise they're going in my friend's rummage sale.

I sampled some 1740 Marquis de Sade EDP from the Histoires de Parfums collection. This is marketed as a "masculine" in the house's black label (the femme scents are labelled in white), but I would not limit any scent to just one gender, being a firm believer in "wear what you like."

Surprisingly, this does not have the "dark, perverse" character that one would expect, as many reviewers noted it should have more of the "Secretions Magnifique" notes that are sure to surprise, delight or offend! Instead, this opens with a lot of booze in the top notes followed by an almost fruity middle.

I found this very enjoyable but sadly too close to the skin. The patchouli gives the "chocolate" that many people observe, and the whole dries down to a soft labdanum with a light leather.

Marquis de Sade? More like Comte Alexis de Tocqueville. Enjoyable, pleasant, intellectual, democratic and egalitarian. This can be worn indeed by both men and women. Certainly not a shocking scent. (I would try Dior Poison for a shocker.)

Head notes: bergamot, davana sensualis; Middle notes: patchouli, coriander, cardamom; Base notes: cedar, elemi, leather, labdanum.

A great plus for this house is that you can buy these scents in small 15 ml bottles, as the large bottles are quite pricey and only available in 120 ml bottles. I like this approach to buying luxe fragrances on a budget. (By Killian do this too in their small travel bottle with refills.) I can easily see falling in love with something in this line and buying a full bottle.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

"Opposite Gender" day could really be any day for me. I wear many classic feminines without hesitation, but I tend to avoid the biggest fruity/floral ones. I enjoy them, but I also feel self-conscious wafting a huge bouquet around me. They feel very flamboyant to me, like the equivalent of wearing a tight, bright green velvet suit with an orange shirt and red shoes. That person is not me, at least not for now...

My sotd is Chanel No 19: soap, deodorant, body lotion and vintage parfum. Yum.

This is a good excuse for me to sneak a little of my wife's Opium. Yes, vintage. I've purchased it for her several times. I confess, it's more a gift for me, because I love the way it smells on her. But now and then I'll cadge just a tiny spray for myself, and oh my is it great stuff.

I recently purchased Opium pour Homme, and it's good, but the ladies version is vastly superior.

After a dig, I remembered I had some Penhaligon's masculine samples that had only been sniffed, never worn. So, after a quick note lookup, I picked Racquets, for the clove and vetiver.

Head Notes: Geranium, Lemon, Lavender, Bergamot and Lime
    Heart Notes: Rose, Ylang Ylang, Clove and Cedarwood
    Base Notes: Musk, Amber, Oakmoss, Frankincense and Vetiver

Perfumer: Francis Pickthall

It's a little 'meh' to start off, but quickly becomes lovely. It's not uberbutch, nor is it too floral. Rather, it is a lightly powdered masculine and I'm enjoying wearing it very much!
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Basenotes Plus

I own and regularly wear lots of masculine frags so it's a pleasure for me to join in Opposite Gender day. What's nice about these SnS days is how they invariably remind me to revisit something I haven't worn in a while. Thus I chose my decant of Creed's fabulous Vintage Tabarome. It's so smooth and elegant. Smells "old money" to me.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Hey MrCologneGuy, sneak on, mate! We ladies love to smell something as interesting as Opium on a guy. I bet your wife appreciated it on you.

I was a housemate with Petra Ichor today in Penhaligon's Douro L'Eau du Portugal. A very nice, suave and gentlemanly citrus with a little aniseed to it. Very very nice, very well-behaved and I should think perfect with a suit. The longevity was decent but it wasn't an overpowering scent - no massive radiance, thankfully. I'm not keen on men's fragrances that knock me out, I prefer to have to snuggle up to get a sniff of something delicious. I spritzed well this morning and by dinner time it had disappeared. Perfect to change your fragrance for the evening.

I like it very much and wish my husband would wear it more often, but then he's a perfume-phobe. Shame as I've got a great stash of masculines now, following my epiphany a couple of years ago on this very sniff and speak.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I tried Encre Noir, because I have wondered wether it might not suit my significant other. But I think I like it for myself!
    what a lovely deep warm velvety fragrance!
    And tonight I am wearing paco Rabanne pour homme. I have a bottle here to remind me of him! Clean MAN!
    I don't think he needs any other fragrance. I love to smell this and feel as if he's near!

I'm using this day as an excuse to pull out my sample of Guerlain Derby (big thanks again to Primrose for sharing this!). My comment that I posted elsewhere when I first tried it: "Oh, my – it's gorgeous! Refreshing top, subtle leather, classy well-blended woods and moss, and a wonderful – I mean wonderful – vetiver drydown."

Notes for Derby, as listed in the BN Directory, include Bergamot, Lemon, Artemisia, Peppermint, Pimento, Rose, Pepper, Mace, Jasmin, Leather, Vetiver, Sandal, Patchouli, and Moss.
    Last edited by Haunani; 4th September 2010 at 10:46 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    I just love the cool, grey iris note that sets the tone of understated
    elegance. I have a mini spray of the edt and wear it when I want to
    feel cool, calm and collected.
    I think this is fine on a man or a woman and feel the same way about
    Eau Sauvage too.
    I agree, kewart!

Today I wore Houbigant's Duc de Vernis, an aromatic fougere & Creed's Original Vetiver. I like both of them but don't need full bottles of either.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

My sniff'n'speak frag for yesterday was EQUISTRIUS by Parfums d'Empire. I'm not entirely sure it is marketed at the chaps, but for SnS day I chose something that I have not tried before but sounds as if it is very chap-like.

I have had this store sample for a couple of years but was put off trying it by the blurb: apparently it conjours up the smell of Roman horses and stables, but fortunately for everyone around me it was a little easier on the nose. I loved the iris and I'm on a bit of an iris kick at the moment. Equistrius felt opulant and complex and I enjoyed it.

Notes include orris, violet, rice powder, chocolate, ambrette butter, ambergris, sandalwood, vetiver, grey amber.

So I may not have worn a chap's scent , I didn't get the chocolate, and I didn't smell like horse dung. Did I fall at the first hurdle?
    Reformulation without information is fraud. Call the police.

Just got back from the French Alps and smelled the most amazing opposite gender fragrance on an older man with a very french moustache. I just had to ask him what it was: Habit Rouge by Guerlain. (He was very flattered that I asked) So I know what I'll be sampling tomorrow as soon as the stores open!! Does anyone know Habit Rouge? Do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Klute View Post
    Just got back from the French Alps and smelled the most amazing opposite gender fragrance on an older man with a very french moustache. I just had to ask him what it was: Habit Rouge by Guerlain. (He was very flattered that I asked) So I know what I'll be sampling tomorrow as soon as the stores open!! Does anyone know Habit Rouge? Do you like it?
    Habit Rouge is a favorite among basenotes men. Try to find a vintage bottle. By all accounts, the modern bottles aren't as velvety smooth. My new-ish bottle of the EdT comes on with a very strong, sour citrus note. Takes forever to get to the sweet drydown. If you were responding to the citrus notes then the modern version might be for you. Otherwise, it'll take a little shopping.

I wore Dior Eau Noire. Visited friends in the country and it just wasn't a day for experimenting with Kouros. Eau Noire doesn't read as noticeably masculine to my nose, I find it completely gender-neutral, which sort of defeats the purpose, but, eh, another day...

Quote Originally Posted by Klute View Post
    I agree with Cologne Guy on this. Habit Rouge is a men's classic, but quite gender neutral. The vintage cologne version is wonderful, but the modern EDT is nice and crisp, and still has a nice leather vanilla bottom note.

I have tried all versions and this is wonderful! (It even comes in parfum strength, which was released in a limited version numbered set of bottles.) The EDP was released in North America as Beau Cavalier, and has the addition of rich agarwood (oud).