Code of Conduct

Default The luxe experience and the drugstore/chemists experience

In the 19th century, a man of fashion and pleasure would invariably spend his time in the company in the best of what money could buy: clothing, food, gambling, carriages and horses. Of course, he spent his company and money on the most elegant, beautiful, opulent and sensuous courtesans.

Then, of course, there was the commonplace gal: cheap and sometimes surprisingly enjoyable and fun.

By metaphor, I have spent a pretty penny on some scents in my time: exclusive Guerlains, Chanel parfums, Creeds, and others. Rare and hard to find. (I am not slavish to these houses, but I am partial to Guerlain. )

Today, I tried something of the drugstore variety by Parfums de Coeur, makers of some rather good, inexpensive smell-alike fragrances. No doubt marketed to cash in on the wave of movies, books and television shows on vampires. It sells for $15.00 and it is quite a bit of a cheap thrill. I actually liked this and bought two bottles of the 30 ml. I had some relatives even ask about it.

Vampire is an interesting gourmand in the line of Hypnotic Poison, Delices de Cartier or even Mugler's Angel. Notes of sweet vanilla, chocolate, fruits and florals. The basenote ends with a light fruit/floral. Good for the beach and after the gym shower

This is cheap, inexpensive fun fragrance.

(They also make a nice line of bath and body toiletries I have several of their body washes and lotions, which are great for the summer.)

http://www.vampirefantasies.com/

Does anyone have any other inexpensive, enjoyable products to share or comments? Sometimes the "bath/body" lines are nice and wallet friendly.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: The luxe experience and the drugstore/chemists experience

Most of the pharmacies here in Miami carry horrible fragrances, usually leaning toward the Latin community (Florida waters, limp- wristed cologne splashes, huge 50 ounce lavender baby colognes, etc).

However when I was in NY, I spent hours in the pharmacies there, browsing the aisles which had a ton of artisanal, hard-to-find, niche & European shaving and fragrance products. I can't remember the name of many of them, but if I had brought enough $ I would have left with hundreds of dollars worth of stuff.

My favorite drug-store-find is a bottle of Colonia Sandalo cologne by Legitima (I mentioned it in this thread)

Default Re: The luxe experience and the drugstore/chemists experience

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Most of the pharmacies here in Miami carry horrible fragrances, usually leaning toward the Latin community (Florida waters, limp- wristed cologne splashes, huge 50 ounce lavender baby colognes, etc).

However when I was in NY, I spent hours in the pharmacies there, browsing the aisles which had a ton of artisanal, hard-to-find, niche & European shaving and fragrance products. I can't remember the name of many of them, but if I had brought enough $ I would have left with hundreds of dollars worth of stuff.

My favorite drug-store-find is a bottle of Colonia Sandalo cologne by Legitima (I mentioned it in this thread)
    I am not a fragrance snob or slavish to one house and enjoy all kinds of scents. One favourite drugstore find is Sanborn's Orange Flower Water. Oddly, I imagine this is not unlike the eaux de Colognes used by those fashion bucks in centuries past.

All in all, I find I must pay for more sillage and longevity with at least an EDP, although yesterday I wore Aramis (an EDT) and got my money's worth.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.