Code of Conduct

Default New Kurkdjian - Absolue pour le Soir

http://graindemusc.blogspot.com/

This sounds just as good, if not better than the original.
    I cannot wait to try this one.
    I do love a good skank!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Default Re: New Kurkdjian - Absolue pour le Soir

I was wearing Cologne Pour Le Soir from a sample given to me by petruccijc (forgot to say thanks) last weekend and thought to myself, they should make it a lot less softer and more raunchier. To me, it's a combination of MKK & Dior Homme. I bought a decant in a split but the first day it arrived, I dropped it in my bedroom and the entire thing shattered. I bought the 10ml for cheap so it didn't bother me. I had a really nice smelling bedroom for a week.

This is actually one of the very few scents I'm looking forward to trying after hearing letdown reviews of Aventus & Wonderwood. The original is sexy enough, I can't imagine how the amplified version smells like.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 1st September 2010 at 11:29 PM.

Sounds like Francis is tired of me beating him up over his wimpy recent offerings. This Absolu version has given me hope.

Anyone know when this comes out? Been looking for new Civet scent.

Cheers!
    Scents I have that are not in the database.

Amouage Molook Attar
    Full Incense - Montale
    Oudh Lacquer by Soivohle
    Shalimar Ode de la Vanille by Guerlain
    Mukhalat Makaki Perfume Oil by Swiss Arabian
    Man Amber by Halston
    Absolue pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Puro Intense by Nejma

Quote Originally Posted by Gojira View Post
    Anyone know when this comes out? Been looking for new Civet scent.

Cheers!
    I have no clue. The only information I can find about it is from that blog.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I absolutely hated the first scent (I know, I'm one of the few). I'm not looking forward to this scent, although at least it shouldn't be so sickeningly soft/powdery/honey/rosey as the first. Ugh!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

There's also an Absolue Pour Le Matin.

Gojira, it's out right now. I tried Absolue Pour le Soir yesterday at Neiman Marcus in Beverly Hills (met MFK's CEO Marc Chaya), and it is DIVINE. It perfects the original EDT - to my taste, anyway. The absolue is an EDP concentration, and it is both spicier and less sweet than the original. The incense is amped up, as well as the barnyard. This might be one for you to gamble on!

Hey Pukrik

Im gonna skip on over to spacenk next week , cant wait to check it out

I'm sniffing this for the second day, and I like it a lot more than I was expecting to...

The opening is a bit pungent, but it settles down fairly quickly and gets really cozy.

Basenotes Institution

I'm interested in this one too.
    Not on the Neiman Marcus website yet...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Am watching this closely too.
    Last edited by Daryl J.; 30th September 2010 at 05:10 AM.

Octavian going crazy over this on his blog , sounds pretty special .... I still cant wait to try it !!!

http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/

Oh lordy this Absolue Pour Le Soir is a work of genuis , seriously . Tried it this morning and brought it on the spot . Dark thick smokey incensey rose with leathery notes , such amazing depth , Im in love its my scent of the winter ...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Oh lordy this Absolue Pour Le Soir is a work of genuis , seriously . Tried it this morning and brought it on the spot . Dark thick smokey incensey rose with leathery notes , such amazing depth , Im in love its my scent of the winter ...
    Damn ,that seems so good ,Pour Monsieur !!!!!!!

Its lovely rich and ambery powdery in the dry down , it really is a beautiful unisex perfume

Quote Originally Posted by Katie Puckrik View Post
    Gojira, it's out right now. I tried Absolue Pour le Soir yesterday at Neiman Marcus in Beverly Hills (met MFK's CEO Marc Chaya), and it is DIVINE. It perfects the original EDT - to my taste, anyway. The absolue is an EDP concentration, and it is both spicier and less sweet than the original. The incense is amped up, as well as the barnyard. This might be one for you to gamble on!

Katie,

I don't know how I missed your post. But you are right about everything. I just got it today, and yes it is less powdery and more spicy. And the barnyard is amped up! Be forewarned spray lightly, it has killer sillage.

Cheers!

Amouage Molook Attar
    Full Incense - Montale
    Oudh Lacquer by Soivohle
    Man Amber by Halston
    Puro Intense by Nejma

One bottle in house as of this morning.

It is awesome.
    Last edited by Daryl J.; 1st October 2010 at 04:31 AM.

Sur la Plage

I f'ing love this fragrance! It's animalic as hell - just how I like it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Waiting for my sample to arrive- I can't wait to try it out.

Do let us know how you feel about it, Mimi! This is sounding like a great release from the early reports I've read.

It is I bought it last week. I love it! And yes it is animalic, I think its better then Musc Ravageur!

Cheers!

Amouage Molook Attar
    Full Incense - Montale
    Oudh Lacquer by Soivohle
    Man Amber by Halston
    Puro Intense by Nejma

Basenotes Institution

Suga- will do ! I hope I like it- you know cumin and I like to fight !

Had occasion to smell it today when meeting with arwen_elf and petuccijc at Scent Bar. It is intense. WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie Puckrik View Post
    Katie! Love the reviews. So good to have you here.

I forgot to mention I purchased it from SpaceNK in London last month. I was blown away...even after reading GDM's review about it being animalic as hell. I expected it to be soft and hinting at something devilish. But wow...it truly is something else. It combines the naughty elements of Jicky, Musc Koublai Khan, Rose de Nuit, Al Oudh and Miel de Bois all in one fragrance. The best part for me is the drydown which is reminscent of MdB's sharp, honeyed base along with a jarring, yet smooth sandalwood. Definitely my most satisfying purchase of 2010.

I'm awaiting my samples as well. I haven't been that nuts about any Francis Kurkdjian I've tried, so we shall see.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Scent that was perfect review. I love the drydown too. It is amazing stuff!

Amouage Molook Attar
    Full Incense - Montale
    Oudh Lacquer by Soivohle
    Man Amber by Halston
    Puro Intense by Nejma

I bought both the original and absolue versions. To me, Absolue is quite different not just in strength but in composition. Pour le soir barely qualifies as a oriental as it is the lightest of all his offerings, so much so you can almost bathe in it. The rose is very dark(brings to mind a deep purple velvet rose) and rich but quickly dries down to a soft incense/musky powder. The absolue is a powerhouse. The most notable differnce here is the intense sandalwood which hits you from the start till the dry down. The rose is even darker and richer but never sweet, the incense is smokey. I must say that the sandalwood is top quality Mysore and there is loads of it here. If Guerlain's Samsara prides itself in having at least 25% mysore sandalwood, the absolue might just top that. On the other hand, Pour le soir is heavier on the frankincense. In both versions, the top notes are so fleeting they barely lasts. Both are great on cool nights.

Personally, it didn't really do much for me and confirmed my worst fear about Kurkdjian - try as hard as he might to go all niche on us, there's still that 'designer accord' in his work (as well as in Absolue pour le Soir). Ambery, dark and creamy, yes, but it's mostly a labdanum affair to my nose...

That's the thing. I don't think he's trying to go all niche, but instead sit in that middle ground which is basically "high quality designer scents."

I too have generally found his scents to have something of a designer feel about them, despite using ingredient combinations that should read as more 'niche-like'. I think it's the polish and sort of thin quality that a lot of the MFK scents have. I enjoy that middle ground when it's done right and priced decently (both of which I think MFK does well, unlike say Xerjoff who do the same kind of thing but charge too much for it), but I can see why many others wouldn't.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Interesting take on the middle-ground aspect, SculptureOfSoul, I would be far more comfortable perceiving his scents in this manner. Actually, Absolue pour le Soir is my SOTD and it's leaving me cold, with the 'polish' and thinness that you've just described...

You know what? After thinking about it, I think Absolue pour le Soir's smells very similar to CdG's Burnt Sugar or Givenchy's Organza Indecence...

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    That's the thing. I don't think he's trying to go all niche, but instead sit in that middle ground which is basically "high quality designer scents."
    I agree - a talented successful commercial designer who has decided to hang his own name on the door and see where it takes him. I think he's off to a good start - good luck to him.

I thought his Narciso Rodriguez For Him was more niche than designer.

Basenotes Institution

I must agree that Kurkdjian's releases from his own line have that whiff of designer releases that a few of you have mentioned, but I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing when it's done right. I still haven't found a Maison Francis Kurkdjian scent that I want to own a whole bottle of, but this sounds wonderful. The major part that I did not like about Cologne Pour le Soir was it's intense labdanum reverberations that just smelled WAY TOO powdery on me. If this is toned down in the Absolue, it sounds like something I would like.

I also thought that Cologne Pour le Soir reminded me a lot of Bois d'Armenie by Guerlain (which I liked better).

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Ambery, dark and creamy, yes, but it's mostly a labdanum affair to my nose...

I'm trying this out for the first time today ,from a sample. Firstly, I liked it a lot immediately. There is nothing in it that will make you drawback away from your skin. The cumin is light to me and I actually find Absolu very boozy ,rich at the start . A winter's evening scent, by the fire.
    Secondly , I echo Trebor's thought here - there is a lot of labdanum.I do love this so far. As Trebor has said, it does run a little 'thin' after the opening . I think if you love Le Labo Labdanum 18 - you'll love this one.
    EDIT: Nice bit of 'zing' going on from the cumin- very tasteful and savory .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 6th October 2010 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The major part that I did not like about Cologne Pour le Soir was it's intense labdanum reverberations that just smelled WAY TOO powdery on me. If this is toned down in the Absolue, it sounds like something I would like.

I also thought that Cologne Pour le Soir reminded me a lot of Bois d'Armenie by Guerlain (which I liked better).
    Absolu is completely different than Cologne Pour le Soir, it is not powdery. It is very leathery and has a strong incense note. I did not apply it on my skin, but I smelled it on PetrucciJC and it kept getting better and better. I did not find it thinning, on the contrary, I perceived it as getting stronger with time. My comment was that it was deep, in the sense that there are many layers of complexity to it. Perhaps the diffusion is different when it is applied from a sample than a bottle.
    Evenstar

Sprayed from the bottle AplS indeed gains strength over a couple hours on my skin. Right now, I'm getting a honeyed incense that I barely get from my bottle of CplS.

I'm intrigued, actually VERY, I think Unfortunately, no distribution in Austria. I sent an email to the Kurkdjian folks and they replied (hey, wow!) saying they would come up with online samples in the near future. Honestly, I had hoped they'd throw a sample in a plain envelope to me...
    Can you wearers tell me how sweet actually the Absolue pour le Soir is? I don't know any of this house. My only fear is it could be too sweet for me, although I have a tendency to suppress sweetness on my skin.
    Any input would be much appreciated - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I'm intrigued, actually VERY, I think Unfortunately, no distribution in Austria. I sent an email to the Kurkdjian folks and they replied (hey, wow!) saying they would come up with online samples in the near future. Honestly, I had hoped they'd throw a sample in a plain envelope to me...
    Can you wearers tell me how sweet actually the Absolue pour le Soir is? I don't know any of this house. My only fear is it could be too sweet for me, although I have a tendency to suppress sweetness on my skin.
    Any input would be much appreciated - thanks!
    Here's the development:

Incense-amber opening ---> labdanum orgy ---> Givenchy's Organza Indecence

As a HUGE fan of Lumiere Noir pour Homme, it pains me to say that I absolutely hated Absolue pour le Soir when I tried it last week. The barnyard scent was overpowering for me. However, if you're one of those people who want to literally smell like shit, then more power to you!

- Brad
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Boy, this is really as good as (nearly) all stated here - quite addictive... wow! THANK YOU, BNers!!!

I'm really surprised by how this smelled. No barnyard, skank, rude civet - or for that matter, Lutensian incensey-amber fest.

What I do get is honey. A lot of honey. Then a gradually fade to a labdanum and beeswax drydown, very smooth and surprisingly light, and amazingly straight-forward.

I like this fragrance, I just wish there was more to this fragrance.

Interestingly, I have been playing around with this the past 3 nights (SotE) and I feel it makes quite a difference whether you apply a mist well across your chest, neck, arms or spray rather locally. I think I prefer the mist. It's better balanced on me (the honey does not overlayer everything and so I can still smell the flowery aspect). The skank is there on my skin, but more so, if spritzed to a spot... well, you can't have everything in life
    Last edited by Larimar; 16th October 2010 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I'm really surprised by how this smelled. No barnyard, skank, rude civet - or for that matter, Lutensian incensey-amber fest.

What I do get is honey. A lot of honey. Then a gradually fade to a labdanum and beeswax drydown, very smooth and surprisingly light, and amazingly straight-forward.

I like this fragrance, I just wish there was more to this fragrance.
    Ditto, word for word everything you said I totally concur. Very nice honey drydown. Just not enough going on to make me purchase a bottle, but I do believe it will become a cult favorite

Tried it. Smells a bit like a Lutens, close to Arabie but can't say for sure since it's been a while since I've smelt it, with some skank thrown in. It has that eastern spice market vibe. I can't say that I'm drawn to it. I'll have to try it again later.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 21st October 2010 at 10:01 AM.

Hello, all --

Where can I score a sample of the Absolue Pour le Soir? Also, is Lumiere Noire Pour Femme available as a parfum?

Thanks so much for any information.

I further tested this again. There's a lot more skank in this in the opening, but upon drydown the level of skank in Absolue is on par with the Cologne version. I prefer the Cologne since there's this soft sensuality about it. It's lost with the Absolue, you get much more honey & cederwood in it instead.

I think I'd like to own a decant to wear on a few occasions but I don't find it very versatile. Cool weather Fall scent. I don't find it work or office friendly. I think I might wear it out shopping at a Flea Market on the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Tried it. Smells a bit like a Lutens, close to Arabie but can't say for sure since it's been a while since I've smelt it, with some skank thrown in. It has that eastern spice market vibe. I can't say that I'm drawn to it. I'll have to try it again later.
    It smells VERY Lutens indeed. In fact, I find it a perfect combination of El Attarine, Santal de Mysore and MKK. Funny! And I loathed El Attarine when I sampled it, but here, the same spice notes seem to fit in much more logically.
    I am already decided on buying APOM, but this is an interesting one too...

Its really nice. Love it a lot but I think Musc Ravageur is more me to be honest.

I guess I prefer vanilla over honey and like DiamondFlame I think it a harsh ride before the final drydown.
    Anyone interested in this can pm me.

Regarding the MFK line all are quite well done.
    Absolue PLS is really a barnyard dirty fragrance - I like this more than the cologne as it has more depth
    APOM: is sweet floral with ambery warmth (still deciding if I like this or LM more)
    Lumiere Noire is a warm weather winey rose - I don't really get the animalic associations though
    Absolue Le Matin: is kind of a like a Chanel Edition Blanche and Frederic Malle Leau d'Hiver which I own but plan to part with (all 3 are too white, too innocent for me though)
    Aqua Universalis: is an upper class CK One nice, but I prefer Aqua di Parma or Creed over this type of frag

Quote Originally Posted by spirit966 View Post
    Regarding the MFK line all are quite well done.
    Agree

This smelled like I sprayed Amber oud on my cat and then it went outside and played for about three hours. I know...horrible description but that's just my nose. I kind it dirty, compelling, and sexy all at once. I personally wear this one in private only.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme