Code of Conduct

Default The Different Company de Bachmakov Le Parfum

99% of the time I read the press release about the "noses" goals and what they were trying create it makes me cringe.

According to a Different Co. representative Céline Ellena wanted to translate a powdery but not sweet “minéralité”, smooth, mat and as tender as chalk with this special scent when it is humid. It’s the wind scraping rocks and snow in that particular moment when spring takes over winter.

Congratulations Ms. Ellena, Bachmakov smells exactly like the above description. I really enjoy this scent. Simply The Different Company's best effort to date. Long lasting, different, and very enjoyable.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Different Company de Bachmakov Le Parfum

Awesome! I am waiting for my first sniff of this one, and the anticipation is huge for me. Glad to hear this. I was very hopeful for this one, as I am with all her works. Céline Ellena is basically a name I can trust - even to the extent of a blind buy, and now you have me really excited.

I love perfumers who can translate an abstract idea into a scent, and more still the ones who can do so while making it a thing of beauty. Céline routinely impresses me in this regard.

I also love the idea that this honors Thierry de Baschmakoff and his family. He's one of my favorite bottle designers.

Thanks for the early word on this one!

I'm really eager to smell this one, nice to hear more about it!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Same here.

I hope "The smell of Russia" will please its citizens
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    99% of the time I read the press release about the "noses" goals and what they were trying create it makes me cringe.

According to a Different Co. representative Céline Ellena wanted to translate a powdery but not sweet “minéralité”, smooth, mat and as tender as chalk with this special scent when it is humid. It’s the wind scraping rocks and snow in that particular moment when spring takes over winter.

Congratulations Ms. Ellena, Bachmakov smells exactly like the above description. I really enjoy this scent. Simply The Different Company's best effort to date. Long lasting, different, and very enjoyable.

totally agree with you, as well as with the two or three reviews i've read elsewhere. very rich, complex and original without hitting one over the head. NOTE OF CAUTION: upon initial application, similar to terre d'hermes. however, this phase quickly progresses into something altogether different. it's a real show-stopper.

I am a big fan and also looking forward to this one as I already have their last 11 fragrances.

Cant wait either. Has this already hit the stores?
    I consider myself lucky to have direct access to "The Different Scent", they offer the whole range (hard not to, with that name they have )
    Smellin good

Blog Entries

OMG - I just opened my gift-wrapped box and sprayed it on.

Must. Rave. Immediately.

My one sentence review (until I can get a full one up...)

de Bachmakov is to Chanel no.5 Eau Première what Chanel no.19 is to Chanel no. 5.

Does that make any sense? I agree with thebeck - it's Céline's best. Sel de Vétiver was genius - sort of a mythical scent. My next most favorite is probably Un Parfum de Charmes et Feuilles - it has a southwestern American herbal nature that really grabs me personally. I also love Sens et Bois and Oriental Lounge, but those are very much my own quirky tastes, and I don't expect others to follow.

But THIS - this is something which approaches - or may actually be - the most perfect modern cool green scent. It has an herbal / green / fir accord which simply blows her previous Charmes et Feuilles (which I love) out of the water. Totally. Lighter, cleaner, more natural - I simply can't stop sniffing it. It is outrageously good. There is not a misplaced note anywhere. It is done with the perfection of Sel de Vétiver, AND - just thrown in as a bonus - perhaps one of the best fresh / cool / icy / winter accords I've ever smelled. It has a coolness which reminds me of Alleurs et Fleurs, but far, far beyond that. It's so perfect and so clean that they need to take every "clean" fresh scent that was ever made before this and return them to the factory.

I don't even know if I'm in the heart yet. I just want to throw on a sweater, grab my skies, and run out into the snowy, moonlit night and glide through the trees. But don't get me wrong - there is no season that this cannot be worn. There is no person who cannot wear this. Where other fragrances have to squirm and apologize to be worn at a certain time of year, or day or night, or with certain clothes, or by one sex or the other, de Bachmakov is simply beyond all that. It's even more universally wearable than Sel de Vétiver. I didn't think that was even possible - but this stuff is it.

I can assure you, moon_fish, that this will please Russians. This stuff almost makes me want to defect! (Russia, France, or maybe even TDC! )

This is clearly a labor of love. Chandler Burr needs to write a book about this one. THIS is the perfect scent.

THANK YOU CÉLINE! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

PS - After all of the painful debate over a variety of other scents this past month, it's damn refreshing to smell something which is simply unquestionably good.

well said! +1.

one week later and i'm digging this even more. the best yet from different. easy to wear on a daily basis and i should think any time of year. this is terrific stuff!

Does anyone know if/when this will go into wider distribution? (I know it can be bought from a few shops in Paris and from a French online vendor.)
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Does anyone know if/when this will go into wider distribution? (I know it can be bought from a few shops in Paris and from a French online vendor.)
    exclusive to bon marche in paris for a few months. should be in us by November.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beez View Post
    one week later and i'm digging this even more. the best yet from different. easy to wear on a daily basis and i should think any time of year. this is terrific stuff!
    I really like the mix of green notes, citrus, and pine/fir. It is one of the most delicious and - literally - tasty presentations of green notes that I've yet smelled. I am tempted to wear this stuff just day after day, but I find that my nose get fatigued on the most beautiful parts of it from over-sniffing, so it's best for me to mix it up in the rotation and keep it fresh.

I will probably reach for this at times when I would otherwise go for my Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I really like the mix of green notes, citrus, and pine/fir. It is one of the most delicious and - literally - tasty presentations of green notes that I've yet smelled. I am tempted to wear this stuff just day after day, but I find that my nose get fatigued on the most beautiful parts of it from over-sniffing, so it's best for me to mix it up in the rotation and keep it fresh.

I will probably reach for this at times when I would otherwise go for my Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne.
    Redneck, I normally rely heavily on your opinions, and your love of this is truly driving me bonkers. I really enjoy TDC as a house, and cannot wait until this stuff lands at LuckyScent.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Redneck, I normally rely heavily on your opinions, and your love of this is truly driving me bonkers. I really enjoy TDC as a house, and cannot wait until this stuff lands at LuckyScent.
    Thanks, amigo! I do think you've got something to look forward to here. My best reckoning of where this lies is some crazy new mixture of Charmes et Feuilles, Bergamote, and Hinoki. It has the herbal aromatic thing of the first, the citrus goodness of the second, and the pine note of the third, though not nearly as "in the face" as the one in Hinoki. There is also some magic from Sel de Vétiver, but I'm not sure I understand what it is, because they're not THAT similar, and it's nothing obvious like the salt, the vetiver, or the iris.

I hope that TDC is gearing up to ship a few units of this in time for its "inspiration time" at the end of winter, beginning of spring. I'm really looking forward to wearing it then. However, I have to say, this is probably great year-round.

Redneck Perfumisto writes:
    It has an herbal / green / fir accord
    Very true but the top note emits "cold" - as in cold. A crisp, cold bracing note that lasts about an hour, then morphs into the green/fir/citrus heart. Another member suggested trying Gendarme 20 for an inexpensive version of de Machmakof, but G20 only gives off a one-note menthol that you get in toothpaste. This is an amazing scent.

Quote Originally Posted by beez View Post
    I'll definitely have to sample this soon.

How is the longevity of this?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChoppedGarlic View Post
    How is the longevity of this?
    I would say that it is between TDC Bergamote and either Sel de Vetiver or Charmes et Feuilles. The strong topnotes are fleeting, and the heart a bit shorter and lighter than I would like, while the base sticks around at a low level all day long.

All in all, not a longevity king. I tend to carry some with me if I want to smell it all day.