Code of Conduct

Unhappy Wore TdH yesterday..

I think for the first time, at least in a while.. I made people choke in the store. I never realized what a projection monster this is in the heat. It feels right for Summer, because it's got the citrus thing going on, but boy was this a bad idea!

I did one spray to the chest, it was about 110 degrees yesterday in Florida with the humidity, and I was in Dollar Tree. I noticed a guy who worked there looking at me like I had just pocketed something, I felt awkward and walked away. I didn't realize he was wondering if I just bathed in old orange juice. I guess I see now where some complain about the "old citrus smelling top notes" having smelled them more in the heat, they're definitely there, and definitely project a lot, but I enjoy them.

Somebody else who worked there started coughing and the guy who was looking at me asked if he was ok, he replied with "Man, some peoples colognes just go right down your throat in a bad way". LOL, I found the comment to be kind of rude, but I guess I've learned my lesson. Perhaps VdH would be a more versatile and lighter choice. I just really enjoy the smell of TdH, I think it's one of the best fragrances of the past decade, I can't even imagine what the perfume strength must be like!

Or maybe I should just wear this on the arms because it projects too much on the chest in the heat. Usually I don't ask for advice on where to spray, but I think I could use some help here. On a hot and humid day, what would be the best way to wear this? Also, has anyone else worn it on the chest on a very hot/humid day and gotten the same negative feedback from others?

Default Re: Wore TdH yesterday..

I haven´t compared them side by side, but the perfume is more about oranges than grapefruits, I believe. The most important difference is, that the perfume stays closer to the skin and feels smoother, less in-your-face. I enjoy it alot more than the EDT. That maybe would not have happened with the perfume, lol!

I did a side by side test of TdH vs Gianni Campagna (a TdH clone) yesterday. Not long after applying one to each arm I went for a bike ride.. I was choking myself out, with just a few tiny swipes to the arms. The arms are definitely not a recomended area to spray, open skin like that tends to project even more.

I think it's likely the massive quantities of iso e super that is causing this, or at least exacerbating it. Did you read mdgrwl's thread about his iso e super experiment? He said it was projecting at least a 10 foot radius, maybe more.

Personally, I can't stand the feel of that much iso e super. It bothers my throat. I think i'm going to sell my TdH. I like the idea and concept of the scent, but it's just too synthetic for me.

edit: For those wondering, Gianni Campagna is quite close to TdH although the opening citrus is sweeter, almost candy like. It's like a sweeter grapefruit and orange with a hint of lime. Overall the feel and progression of the two seemed pretty similar although Gianni Campagna was less earthy and had less depth, but even more of a flint presence. It was flint overload. I think it's all around worse than TdH, AND it costs more, and it is a clone. So, I have to give it a measly 1 star for being a clone that fails to better the original in any way. Based on smell alone, I'd give it about 3 stars. If you love TdH and are curious what a minor variation would smell like, or really love the flint aspect but not the deeper woodiness/benzoin/patchouli, it's worth a sniff.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Imagine what it is like to test Terre D'Hermès for the very first time at Dubai Airport (after a 6 hour flight) where it was almost 40 °C.
    I sprayed it two or three times.
    Nauseating, to say the least.
    Acqua di Giò is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I did a side by side test of TdH vs Gianni Campagna (a TdH clone) yesterday. Not long after applying one to each arm I went for a bike ride.. I was choking myself out, with just a few tiny swipes to the arms. The arms are definitely not a recomended area to spray, open skin like that tends to project even more.

I think it's likely the massive quantities of iso e super that is causing this, or at least exacerbating it. Did you read mdgrwl's thread about his iso e super experiment? He said it was projecting at least a 10 foot radius, maybe more.

Personally, I can't stand the feel of that much iso e super. It bothers my throat. I think i'm going to sell my TdH. I like the idea and concept of the scent, but it's just too synthetic for me.

edit: For those wondering, Gianni Campagna is quite close to TdH although the opening citrus is sweeter, almost candy like. It's like a sweeter grapefruit and orange with a hint of lime. Overall the feel and progression of the two seemed pretty similar although Gianni Campagna was less earthy and had less depth, but even more of a flint presence. It was flint overload. I think it's all around worse than TdH, AND it costs more, and it is a clone. So, I have to give it a measly 1 star for being a clone that fails to better the original in any way. Based on smell alone, I'd give it about 3 stars. If you love TdH and are curious what a minor variation would smell like, or really love the flint aspect but not the deeper woodiness/benzoin/patchouli, it's worth a sniff.
    Yes, I saw his thread, I also agree with the Iso E Super being what bothers people, possibly the citrus top notes as well. I also agree with the 10 foot projection radius. I think it may even be more. It may project more than A*Men.

Blog Entries

Hey Cologneist,

I too have decided to wait until it cools down a bit to wear my TdH again. I do love this stuff though.

When I do wear it in the heat I spray lower (like sternum/lower chest and/or stomach), then put my shirt on over it after its dried. The shirt helps to dampen the projection, and you still get to enjoy it as the scent rises out of the collar when you move.

Try Montale Red Vetyver or Cereus PH No. 5. I love both these and found them to be toned down versions of TdH. Especially when it came to the orange peel start. It takes the Cereus about 10 minutes to get into the mellow range though. The Montale is my favorite Montale. Both are smoother versions of TdH to me.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Sur la Plage

I personally find that TdH works great in warm weather - both the EDT and Parfum.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I put a small spritz on a paper strip the other day and when I got back to the truck I put the test strip on the passenger seat with the bag of something I purchased. I was driving around doing other chores and I kept getting whiffs of the test strip every few minutes. More than the Mandarina Duck Man I was wearing, which is a pretty light cologne anyway.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Why not try diluting it, as I do with such powerful frags?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond Hume View Post
    Imagine what it is like to test Terre D'Hermès for the very first time at Dubai Airport (after a 6 hour flight) where it was almost 40 °C.
    I sprayed it two or three times.
    Nauseating, to say the least.
    The airport's air conditioning broke down, huh?

Personally I find TdH works well enough in the heat but I agree about having to calibrate the dose for 'close quarters'. But I never get the citrus or grapefruit with TdH; my skin does have a habit of gobbling up citrus notes the instant a frag hits my skin.

My bad: Dubai was hot, the airco worked fine at the airport
    Acqua di Giò is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

I wore TdH to work this week, and a coworker told me that I smelled really good. She said it twice. I was amazed because nobody ever says anything about the fragrances I wear to work. I have the pure parfum, have never smelled the EDT, and usually do one spray to my abdomen and one to my chest. This seems to work well. It was a fairly hot and humid day, but I was in the air-conditioned office most of the time.

It's pretty potent, even as an EdT (why they made an EdP I have no idea, it's only marginally different). I'd say it really does bloom in the summer heat, but as a result it's best to limit the amount applied, or put it somewhere out the way like forearms.

I find something like Concentree D'Orange Vert a nice alternative.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I own the Montale Red Vetyver and personally find it pretty weak
    I wore it once to an interview and the receptionist wouldn't stop raving about how good I smelled...
    and I couldn't smell a thing, go figure
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    ....110 degrees....
    A variety of fragrances can do bizarre things at that temperature.

Terre D'Hermes is a strange one.
    I'm not all that partial to it myself, as I think it smells like Grapefruits and Gunpowder.
    But lots of girls seem to really like it.
    I sometimes layer it under alot of Concentre D'Orange Verte during the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzley View Post
    I wore TdH to work this week, and a coworker told me that I smelled really good.
    How weird! In a good sense. I got the same compliment.

I don't seem to have this problem, as it doesn't seem to last on me very long at all. It starts out sharp, then mellows out over a couple of hours. Thing is I suspect this is an old bottle, since I got on Amazon for 50% off. The tester I used in a store produced a powerful punch with one spray. 4 or 5 spays from the bottle I own and just a little shove.

Last night i used Terre and i was quite happy: my skin eats up any fragance. Longevity of any frag on me use to be short. Terre is long lasting and i get constant whiffs of it.

People around didn't seem to care about if it was strong or not, so i suppose it wasn't intrusive.

And about the EDP: the smell is a bit different (at least in the top notes) and it doesn't project as the EDT, it's also not as longlasting as the EDT. Some may prefer the "kinda classier" smell of the edp, but you get more projection and longevity from the EDT, it deserves every buck i paid for it.

Blog Entries

When it's really hot, I like wearing TdH when I work in the yard and I can enjoy the massive sillage myself. But I have had occasions where it started blooming in public, and I felt like running and hiding, or fanning my skin back to coolness (seems counterintuitive, but sometimes that really works to stop a "blooming frag explosion").

I'm glad some more guys on here are noting that Terre is a potent scent. It still gives me a headache, but I suspect it is due to the Iso-E-Super (overload) in it. Encre Noire does the same.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    A variety of fragrances can do bizarre things at that temperature.
    Totally agree pluran. At that temperature, I make sure to be careful what I apply. I think even something seemingly harmless can act up at those temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Naitch View Post
    I don't seem to have this problem, as it doesn't seem to last on me very long at all....
    No disrespect, but don't you say that for alot of fragrances ( aside from another mans Acqua di Gio pour Homme ) ? Maybe its your sense of smell ? Perhaps you are anosmic to certain fragrances ?
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !