Code of Conduct

Smile Do you keep your scents in their boxs?

Hello scent lovers!

I am totaly new at this. My name is Marie, I live in Québec Canada and just started getting a bit more serious about perfumes. I have always enjoyed smelling nice, but studys obliged, didn't spend much on perfume plus I always found my trips to the perfumery wayyyy too overwhelming...thats until I learned you should only smell a few different scents! HA!

My first language is french, so thank you for your patience as I sometimes have difficulty explaining myself.

My dear lover recently bought me a bottle of Chance eau fraiche and after first hating it...slowly fell in love with it. I know its not loved my everyone, but my nose certainly developped and I now smell things I didn't pick up in the beggining. THis is what brought me back to the store to get a second scent. Something a little more mature...for work of nights out. Again, I left with a headache and Coco Mademoiselle on my right arm. At first I thought I smelled grandma'ish....but slowly, it developped in something so delicious....I went back and got a 100ml edt.

I know the two I have right now are very common and safe choices but I am slowly growing and accepting to walk further from my initial comfort zone. FYI I used to wear D&G light blue (very safe as well) but it gives you an idea of how far I am from home even just with CM.

Anyways...enough about me. Here is my question; As a acquire more bottles, I am realising that I might be keeping each longer. How should I keep them? In their original boxes and take each one out every time I wear one? Right now they are in my bathroom pharmacy, away from light since I often wear the 2 of them.

What is your suggestion on this?

At last, I know everyone is always asking for suggestions, but here it goes!

I looooove fresh citrusy scents, green and also jasmin. Any suggestions? Can't wait to buy my next fragrance. It lights up my mornings and makes me feel amazing.

Default Re: Do you keep your scents in their boxs?

I decant my perfumes in beautiful purse sprays, and I keep the bottles in their boxes in the back of a cupboard in my bedroom.
    I'm not sure about the bathroom, bathrooms typically have a lot of temperature changes and humidity.

Hello! So nice to meet you, I'm new as well. In fact this is my very first post.

I am not sure where I read this but I recall that the bathroom is not a good long term storage solution due to the humidity.

I currently keep my fragrances in a storage container in my bedroom. Lid stays on all the time to keep it nice and dark in there for my lovelies. All the full bottles I've purchased in the last 2 years are kept in their boxes because it seems safe and provides another buffer against light. Also, since I am early in my collecting I presume one day I may want to swap away some bottles that are no longer favorites. I think their new owners may appreciate them being coddled in their boxes but this could be an assumption with no base.

Unfortunately, I am not well versed to make suggestions in this category. Hopefully you will get a good recommend soon.
    -"You can call me "Flower" if you want to....*giggles*....I don't mind."

Thanks to both of you for your replys!

Well...I guess the bottles are moving to the bedroom huh?
    I knew about the light being bad but had no idea as for humidity.

Dressed&Scented; Welcome to you too! Isn't it nice to find a place where you can indulge in your hobby without feeling excessive? Most people in my entourage don't spend much on fragrances and don't understand my new obsession with perfumes

Marie

Oh yes! I am so excited to join this community. I have no friends who are lovers of fragrance as I am. They like it but I don't think they put the thought into that I do or troll the internet looking for forums such as this in which to discuss the finer points of scent. LOL. I'm hoping to learn so much here. I am eagerly awaiting some minis that I ordered after researching threads trying to find a replacement for a beloved discontinued fragrance. I'm hoping to get that today actually.

my mother may be a perfumista as she has a huge collection but I'm not sure if she's ever researched to find out why she likes what she likes or to perhaps find better fits for certain notes she likes. once, i figure out what i'm talking about I hope to enable her.

Sur la Plage

Welcome to Basenotes!

If it came in a box, it stays in the box. I am not into "displaying" fragrances. I see no need for it. I keep everything in a dark, cool closet/drawer.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Welcome to Basenotes.
    All my fragrances stay in their boxes and live in my cupboard away from sunlight and heat.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Welcome, it's great to have some new folks on Basenotes!

As far as the bathroom, I think the often-elevated temperature is more of a concern than humidity, but if it isn't a good place to store medications (and it is not) then it is also not good for perfumes.

Light and heat damage perfumes, so whatever you do to keep them cool and in the dark is fine. I've read that the Osmothèque (perfume museum) in France recommends keeping citrus perfumes about 10 degrees cooler than other types of perfumes, so it seems they are more vulnerable to changes caused by heat.

I keep my bottles in a small refrigerator, and decant into small (5 ml) atomizers that I keep in my dresser drawer for daily use. I refill the atomizers as needed, and I can carry them readily in my purse to refresh my scent, or for travel.

I don't store my perfumes in their boxes, but I do keep the boxes, in case I ever decide to trade or sell one of my perfumes.

I keep my fragrances in their boxes in a closet in the bedroom.In the case of minis that don't typically come in a box,I use a heavy porcelain crock to keep them.I never found a use for that crock until I realized that the inside was the perfect depth for minis to stand upright,and the heavy lid really seals them shut.I'll bet you have all sorts of storage solutions just hanging around the house if you think about it!And welcome to Basenotes-it's tons of fun!

Basenotes Plus

Welcome Mademoiselle_Marie and Dressed & Scented!! I agree with all the above suggestions. Heat and light are not good for your perfume. I keep all of mine out of the light and in as cool a place as possible. Only recently have I been keeping the box and storing them in the box, in my closet. I've read conflicting reports about keeping fragrances in the refrigerator, so I'm still debating on that issue. 30 Roses is correct about citrus scents, they do seem to require cooler temperatures than other scents, I've read that several places. Good luck with your growing collections and I hope you enjoy basenotes, I know I do!

Absolutely not. Once purchased, they get unboxed and placed in temperature-controlled built fragrance vault where they can be viewed.

Throw away the box immediately and store them out of sight in a cool, dark place.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    Welcome Mademoiselle_Marie and Dressed & Scented!! I agree with all the above suggestions. Heat and light are not good for your perfume. I keep all of mine out of the light and in as cool a place as possible. Only recently have I been keeping the box and storing them in the box, in my closet. I've read conflicting reports about keeping fragrances in the refrigerator, so I'm still debating on that issue. 30 Roses is correct about citrus scents, they do seem to require cooler temperatures than other scents, I've read that several places. Good luck with your growing collections and I hope you enjoy basenotes, I know I do!
    Thank you for the welcome! I'm having a ball roaming around!

Welcome! :-) The others have already given you great advice about storing perfumes so I will skip that and start with the recommendations. I am trying to only write down scents which you can find in department stores. Ask again about a year from now when you get hooked on niche fragrances. ;-)

Green:
    Guerlain - Acqua Allegoria Herba Fresca. Like a walk in dewy grass. Great in the summer heat.
    Annick Goutal - Eau de Camille. Another walk in the grass.
    Hermes - Un Jardin sur le Nil: green, a bit citrusy
    Hermes - Un Jardin en Mediterranee: fig leaves and bark with a bit of melone.

Citrus:
    Hermes - Eau d'Orange Verte: a dry, refreshing orange scent (don't think of sweet, ripe oranges!)
    Dior - Escale a Portofino: a bit powdery lemon scent. It gets a lot of love but I personally despise it, the lemon smells very artificial and sharp
    Dior - Escale a Pondichery: delicious lemony black tea, again a great summer scent

Jasmin:
    Annick Goutal - Le Jasmin
    Annick Goutal - Songes: Indolic jasmin with vanilla. Delicious.
    Floris - Night Scented Jasmin

Good luck with finding your next scents. It always pay off to just go and sample, sample, sample... You'll see your tastes rapidly evolving (or at least changing ;-)) and you'll discover new and new types of fragrances. It is a great journey. :-)

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Even if you are not a perfume box collector, it isn't a bad idea to keep the boxes if there is any chance you may someday want to sell or swap away the perfume (and don't we all sometimes regret a purchase?)

Apart from their desirability to collectors, boxes protect the perfume during shipping.

My fragrances are kept in a wine cooler in their boxes.

Boxed and inside a closet in a cool room, they only see any light to be decanted or to pose for pictures heh.
    I began to decant them to small atomizers but before that I kept them in the boxes (with the plastic sheet even) and carried them around if needed.

Welcome M_M and D&S!
    Absolutely yes. I keep all scents in their boxes in a larger box (Xerox paper box) with the lid on in a dark and cool closet. Even the cello wrap stays on as I only open them from the top! I'd love to display my bottles but [juice] safety first LOL!
    Enjoy your scented journeys here...

I hate the feeling of pulling bottles out of boxes, sometimes it feels like pulling nails over a chalkboard. I keep most of them in an armoire where it is dark and cool.

My bottles are in a wine cooler. The boxes are somewhere else.

Welcome to the new basenoters. I keep my fragrances in a cabinet in their boxes.

Always in their boxes

In a Closet but dark and cool. I keep my boxes in case I eventually decide to sell a few when I have too many.
    "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."

Blog Entries

Bonjour Marie I do keep my perfumes in their boxes
    and sometimes in their medicine cupboards but that
    does'nt last for a long time i love to display them
    outside of their boxes and look all the different shape
    and colors of each bottle i know that's not very
    practical but i love looking at my ,Babies,

I keep nearly all of them in their boxes and store them on closet shelves. I do keep a handful of bottles on a tray on top of my dresser, though.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I keep my fragrances in their original boxes even though my room is cool & dark all the time, like a crypt...

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

I keep the ones I never wear in their boxes

I have mine sitting on a shelf in my bedroom de-boxed for easy application.

Boxes are easier to stack/store, because they are either squares or rectangles, with few exceptions. It's much harder to keep a lot of frags in a small space with no boxes, and they are more likely to get broken or chipped.

Banned

if you guys want to get rid of your boxes, ill take em, im looking for boxes of hugo boss #6, rocky mountain wood, dolce and gabbana the one, and ferrari black.

I do keep them in their boxes if they are brand-new, if it's a vintage that happened to be bought without a box (for whatever reason most likely because the box didn't survive the passing of time), i will keep it as it is but on a dark dry cabinet.

As for the recs for green-jasmin-cirtus scents here are some you might like:

Cristalle by Chanel
    Diorella by Dior
    Trussardi Action by Trussardi
    Ivoire by Balmain
    Zen by Shiseido
    Alliage by Lauder
    Miss Dior Chèrie EDT by Dior
    Fleur d'Oranger by Serge Lutens
    Green Water by Jacques Fath
    Angélique Lilas by Guerlain
    Green Tea Exotic by Arden

there are tons more
    cheers

and Welcome to Basenotes!

Basenotes Plus

If it came with a box, I keep it in the box.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I keep the box, but don't keep the scent in its box. My scents are stored in a linen closet, dark, dry, and cool. The boxes are stored in shelves at the top and the bottom of the same closet. It's easier for me to get to the scent that way and keeps the boxes where I can find them if I need to.

Ah... and I do keep one vintage Eau and EDC in the bathroom, but they too are in a dark and cooler/drier closet, for easy application when I want to "bathe" in scent.
    Last edited by actiasluna; 23rd February 2011 at 01:18 AM.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

i think if you want to keep your fragrances out on display on top of your dresser or desk, you should keep them in the box. if you keep them in a dark place such as a dresser drawer or closet, you can ditch the box.