Code of Conduct

Default Question about Malles French Lover and Geranium Pour Monsieur

-I have read that Frederic Malle French lover has some similarities with Profvmum Olibanum and Gucci Pour homme. Do you think this is a correct description?

-Geranium Pour Monsieur has a minty-note that someone compare to the toothpaste note you can find in Cartier Roadster.. What do you think?

Default Re: Question about Malles French Lover and Geranium Pour Monsieur

I have samples of both French Lover and Olibanum and I must admit I don't find they are similar at all. French Lover is mostly about galbanum and cedar while Olibanum is light incense and sandalwood. If anything, I would say Olibanum is more like 10 Corso Como in feel. I don't really think either of these are that similar to the Gucci; perhaps French Lover, but still, not particularly so.

I definitely find certain similarities between Geranium Pour Monsieur and Roadster, the most obvious being the mint. Especially in the top notes. However after this the geranium note steers Pour Monsieur away in a different direction and ultimately I think the Malle is a more sophisticated and quirky take on mint. If I'm being honest, I don't really like either of these, but that is only my personal opinion.

Geranium has an "icy mint" note while Roadster a more ..floral mint? Roadster smells like passion fruit to me.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I think the Malle French Lover (aka Bois D'Orage) has some similarity to Profumum's Olibanum, in that both are uber-dry and lean scents. The Malle has more of a wood note, the Olibanum has more of a green frankincense note (resinous). But they both are translucent incense-styled scents.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I think the Malle French Lover (aka Bois D'Orage) has some similarity to Profumum's Olibanum, in that both are uber-dry and lean scents. The Malle has more of a wood note, the Olibanum has more of a green frankincense note (resinous). But they both are translucent incense-styled scents.
    -and which of them do you prefer? I own Olibanum, but have never tested F-M-F-L.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    -and which of them do you prefer? I own Olibanum, but have never tested F-M-F-L.
    Hmmm, close call. Slight edge to the Olibanum for its green tones, but FMFL is very good and arguably more complex. Shades of brown.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

French Lover and Geranium pour Monsieur are two of my favourite scents from Frederic Malle, the only two scents I have found both to be full bottle worthy.

True story...
    I was wearing a suit today (non-3000 dollar Prada), and I could smell Geranium pour Monsieur on it. I only have samples and did not recall wearing it with that suit recently....until i discovered the pack of Stride Spearmint Gum in the pocket....et voila.
    "...call on God, but row away from the rocks..."

Of the two I infinitely prefer French Lover to GpH, FL is a more complex scent and has a really nice evolution.

I'm not fond of GpH as I don't like the mint note and it has a kind of antisceptic feel to it which I find offputting - but then I don't like Roadster either, despite it having a slightly dirtier herbal feel to it.

Can't comment on the similarity to Olibanum because I am not familiar with it - but I will be soon if it smells anything like French Lover!
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

These two are two of the five Frederic Malles that I plan to purchase next week. Can't wait.

French Lover smells just like Bois D'Orage to me

JK....but it does smell a helluva lot like my flacon of Creed Spice and Wood

Geranium pour Monsieur is my new favorite spring scent!

Question 1
    No, I dont believe there are any similarity thats all. The only similarity I can think of is that they all smell good !

Question 2
    Geranium Pour Monsieur is such a disappointment. Why pay top dollar to smell like Colgate?
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

I have a French Lover and I like layering her often.lol

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    Question 2
    Geranium Pour Monsieur is such a disappointment. Why pay top dollar to smell like Colgate?
    I’ve read that many times on BN. Good thing I use Crest 3D 'cuz I've never made the toothpaste association.

The smell always reminds me of the freshly plucked mint leaves I used to pick out of my parents’ garden as a child and rub together between my fingers. I guess that’s the beauty of fragrances; it evokes a unique and personal memory for everyone.

Nevertheless, try before you buy.

I have been wearing Geranium Pour Monsieur SOTD when I went into Sephora to compare it with Roadster today. Beare in mind GPM was in drydown stage and Roadster was out of a bottle sniff, paper sniff then skin sniff. OK its the same class of scent BUT it stops right there. Fresh green menthol is the word with GPM - Roadster was not that big in your face type like GPM but had an immediate direction that played the floral note first with a soft mint backing. Hope I have not upset any one with these comments.

Longevity is really good with GPM, now in my 11th hour as I type and still smelling good.