Code of Conduct

Default Does Encre Noire smell anything like Uomo by LV?

Got to sample Uomo, recently. First thing I liked about it was how it green it is, with a tad woodsy dry down. I know EN and Uomo are predominantly vetiver scents.. Can you guys catch any similarities between the two? How different are they? Is there anything out there I could sample (at a retail store?) that would give me an idea what EN smells like? Should I blind buy it? Found 100ml bottle for $49, seems like a pretty good deal, on fragrancex. Tnanx yall.

Default Re: Does Encre Noire smell anything like Uomo by LV?

No.

Quote Originally Posted by encrenoire75 View Post
    No.
    No to ALL q's?

lol k..thx

Double No :')

You can get Encre Noir for a ridiculously low $25 at scentedmonkey.com

Hello FragDeck. It is true that you asked quite a few questions. I thought giving just one answer would be interpreted as replying to the principal question (i.e. that which you used as a title to your thread starter). Certainly, my answer shouldn't be interpreted as curt, and I hope you did not think it so. It is just that there are no similarities between LV Uomo and Encre Noire as far as I can tell.

Should you wish distinct answers to every question in the body of your post, they could be formulated as follows: No. Very. Many, but you could start with Encre Noire to answer your initial question. No.

My general advice to anyone would be never to blind buy any fragrance. If you do a search on vetiver fragrances on this site or elsewhere on the Internet, you will see that there is a wide variety and that, in consequence, the presence of vetiver in any fragrance is no guarantee that it will resemble another fragrance containing vetiver.

I'm sure you'll be able to sample Encre Noire at some stage and that this will answer most of your questions almost immediately.

Wow this sparks my curiosity even further

As far as a blind buy, would you say its worth it?

oh, and their out of stock at scentedmonkey

Encre noir relates to LV uomo as Osama bin Laden relates to the dalai lama in drag queen outfit wearing a blond wig and shouting "im britney spears!!"

is it worth a blind buy ( i assume you mean EN) at the price YES!!! provided you love vetiver. I would definately recommend it, i bought it blind as well and never ever ever ever regretted it. Gets me plenty of compliments which is pretty rare.

actually i personally feel it is an obligatory addition to any scent lovers library of perfumes. A modern classic
    I take a bottle of wine and I go drink it among the flowers.
    We are always three ... counting my shadow and my friend the shimmering moon
    Happily the moon knows nothing of drinking, and my shadow is never thirsty
    When I sing, the moon listens to me in silence. When I dance, my shadow dances too.
    After all festivities the guests must depart. This sadness I do not know.
    When I go home, the moon goes with me and my shadow follows me

Li Po - II bc

No. Very. Many, but you could start with Encre Noire to answer your initial question. No.
    Hey, thanx for a broader, more definite answer. So, what exactly do you have in mind that sort of smells like EN and yet not telling me? Its gotta be something popular, easy to find, though, cuz I just cant seem to get a hold of any samples of this beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
    Encre noir relates to LV uomo as Osama bin Laden relates to the dalai lama in drag queen outfit wearing a blond wig and shouting "im britney spears!!"

is it worth a blind buy ( i assume you mean EN) at the price YES!!! provided you love vetiver. I would definately recommend it, i bought it blind as well and never ever ever ever regretted it. Gets me plenty of compliments which is pretty rare.

actually i personally feel it is an obligatory addition to any scent lovers library of perfumes. A modern classic
    Fair enough. I think I just might go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by FragDeck View Post
    So, what exactly do you have in mind that sort of smells like EN and yet not telling me?
    Well, I didn't have anything in mind, nor would I dream of hiding any pertinent thoughts! Generally, I don't like playing the "X smells like Y" game because, invariably, there will be differences. If you are interested in a fragrance specifically, then you should find a way to smell it and to judge it in its own rights.

That said, since you push me, there is one fragrance that (now) comes to mind as being reasonably close to Encre Noire. That would be Chanel's Sycomore which is part of the Les Exclusifs collection. But I'm uncomfortable with any interpretation that would read what I've just written as meaning that you should smell Sycomore to get an idea of what Encre Noire is like. Yes, the Chanel is a warmer, rounder, floral vetiver, when compared with the Lalique, although both are smoky. But more than that, the former is a masterpiece in its own right, probably rarer than the latter, and certainly not the retail store substitute to Encre Noire you were looking for.

Sorry, I had not understood from your original post that you could not find Encre Noire. I'm sure you will at some point.

the only thing similar is the smell of vetiver in both
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Well, I didn't have anything in mind, nor would I dream of hiding any pertinent thoughts! Generally, I don't like playing the "X smells like Y" game because, invariably, there will be differences. If you are interested in a fragrance specifically, then you should find a way to smell it and to judge it in its own rights.

That said, since you push me, there is one fragrance that (now) comes to mind as being reasonably close to Encre Noire. That would be Chanel's Sycomore which is part of the Les Exclusifs collection. But I'm uncomfortable with any interpretation that would read what I've just written as meaning that you should smell Sycomore to get an idea of what Encre Noire is like. Yes, the Chanel is a warmer, rounder, floral vetiver, when compared with the Lalique, although both are smoky. But more than that, the former is a masterpiece in its own right, probably rarer than the latter, and certainly not the retail store substitute to Encre Noire you were looking for.

Sorry, I had not understood from your original post that you could not find Encre Noire. I'm sure you will at some point.
    Thanx for the input, bro. I appreciate it. This just happened - my first blind buy. Hopefully it doesnt disappoint.

No, thank heavens.

Uomo may have vetiver, but its focus is not primarily vetiver, its about the other aromatics. EC is definitely about vetiver. These two are not similar at all.

The closest resemblance that I could think of would be Lalique pour Homme Equus.