Code of Conduct

Default perfume article in Women's Health

I thought this article was an interesting, fluffy read, so here is the recap (Women's Health, Sept 2010, pg. 44)

-Sheer is in. Gone are the days of rich florals, and in are the less opulent, lighter fragrances.
    -What is in are discreet notes, such as: mint, green tea, bergamot, lemon, grapefruit; and honeysuckle, lily of the valley, lilac and freesia
    -Article warns to never buy a scent based on ingredients alone, as light notes, especially citrus and delicate florals, ar einfluenced by acidity levels in the skin and can turn sour or rancid on the 'wrong' person
    -natural scents are a good choice for 'light and quickly disappearing'
    -article advices that fragrance should entice, not slap one in the face.

so there it is. A blurb for light perfumes that don't last long. Plzzzz.. I'm now off to put on one of my Caron's so i can go out and slap someone in the face. For this gal, heavy oriental florals and chypres will always be in style :-) (Mitsouko, anyone? Or et noir?)
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Default Re: perfume article in Women's Health

Thank you, BayKAT. Keep in mind these articles are not for the likes of us. Today, I wore Creed Royal Delight with tons of floral leather and sillage!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Primrose, you carry on with your sweet self!!! haha. Love it :-)

Oh,I could just give a flying you-know-what about trends of any sort.I may happen to like certain trends when they come around,and many I dislike,such as this light fragrance trend!That's the nice thing about trends-they are not permanent.I'm with you,BayKAT,let's just keep wearing our orientals and chypres until they are trendy again!Of course,when they are,I will probably just switch to my greens!

Who, in this economy, would waste money on a quickly evaporating perfume???

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by BayKAT View Post
    I thought this article was an interesting, fluffy read, so here is the recap (Women's Health, Sept 2010, pg. 44)

-(Mitsouko, anyone? Or et noir?)
    Wearing Mitsouko now - so I can go slap someone's face too ! I read that word " recap " as crap ! *LOL*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Mimi, me too!!!! Mitsouko EDP, 2008 bottle :-)

And good point about the economy- i want my money's worth if I'm goign to buy a scent. (See my previous thread about a $250 bottle turning sour after one year) I'm still waiting ot see how lucky scent will respond to that complaint

Basenotes Institution

BayKat yay ! scent twins ! I hope Luckyscent will refund you or at least send you a replacement !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Mimi, I'm getting a replacement :-)

Well, looking on the bright side at least the article didn't bash all perfume, saying that it's going to kill us or make us go blind. I suppose the whole "perfume lite" trend goes along with everything else "lite" in a society of over-consumption. It's also cheaper to make, so no wonder the corporations push it.
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Elly View Post
    Well, looking on the bright side at least the article didn't bash all perfume, saying that it's going to kill us or make us go blind. I suppose the whole "perfume lite" trend goes along with everything else "lite" in a society of over-consumption. It's also cheaper to make, so no wonder the corporations push it.
    spot on! Also, you have to re-apply these disappearing wonders more frequently so they sell more of it.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

A floral cloud of great distinction here in Terracatta sous les vent - forget pastel perfumes!

Reine

Hillaire

OMG!!! I am so embarrassed!I thought I was so up-to-the minute! Vendetta isn't cool anymore?

I can't believe I am so off the mark! Such a troglodyte!

Gee, I sure hope I haven't offended any flash-in-the-pan trend followers! (Blush)

How can the author have missed all the other releases (forgetting classics for the moment) that are anything BUT sheer and light?! The very nice thing about going to a department store to buy mainstream fragrances now is that there is so much to choose from. You can have sheer and light, or rich and deep, or anything from classic to the latest celebuscent. I love that. I think that it must be easy to write on a subject you know little about (she's just now caught onto the sheer trend?) and get it in a fluff magazine. I noticed that recently while reading a Good Housekeeping magazine. What a waste of paper! There was nothing of any substance in it at all. I've noticed that in a lot of the print media lately. No substance.

Quote Originally Posted by BayKAT View Post
    I'm now off to put on one of my Caron's so i can go out and slap someone in the face. For this gal, heavy oriental florals and chypres will always be in style :-) (Mitsouko, anyone? Or et noir?)
    I'm with you on this one! The stronger the Better hahaha I'm glad we still have people like you here.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Elly View Post
    I agree, yet oddly, the prices seem to go up and up on perfumery, houses always investing less and less on quality/quantity.
    So who pushes the "Light trend" ? The houses themselves for one, they cut costs making a fragrance that will sell for the same yet it's washed up a 100 times so they have more "options" for the buyer at a tremendous profit margin.
    Meanwhile, the casual buyer buys the idea that it's trendy to be light, so she/he goes for that and is more than happy to pay for a fleeting light scent as long as it's making them cool according to marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I agree, yet oddly, the prices seem to go up and up on perfumery, houses always investing less and less on quality/quantity.
    So who pushes the "Light trend" ? The houses themselves for one, they cut costs making a fragrance that will sell for the same yet it's washed up a 100 times so they have more "options" for the buyer at a tremendous profit margin.
    Meanwhile, the casual buyer buys the idea that it's trendy to be light, so she/he goes for that and is more than happy to pay for a fleeting light scent as long as it's making them cool according to marketing.
    Aaaahhhh! Now that explains it. I had forgotten that advertising $$$ dictates editorial content.

Well I never did like slapping people in th face so I'm glad I wear light perfume
    Who Else Loves Discontinued Perfumes?

This is something very interesting i didn't know that it normally happens like this mate,I am glad that i got to see it actually i didn't knew it before and what you have said clearly helped me in knowing something which is necessary keep sharing.

Hi Abriel,

It looks like you've bumped several old "will fragrances kill me?" threads. As we probably don't need all of these conversations going at once—especially conversations that ended a couple of years ago—feel free to either start a new discussion that's more up to date, perhaps addressing recent IFRA issues or something similar. But for now, I'm going to go ahead and close up these old threads so they can return to their resting place.

When you use the search engine, take a look at the dates of the posts — that way you're not joining a conversation that ended years ago.