Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Amouage Opus III: Initial Impressions

While ylang is definitely present in the scent, it is, to my nose, part of such a thick and complex chord that ylang haters could very well like the scent. I don't like a "naked ylang-ylang" much, either - the note is simultaneously too sweet and funky-dirty, but here each of the facets of it, while still present, are made enjoyable. It's really quite a feat. The thick and dense dry woods, along with a waxy mimosa note and a skin-like ambrette really flesh out the scent and work in such a way that an extremely floral scent, as far as notes go, doesn't ever feel too floral and never too sweet, heady, or thin/sharp.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I'm especially curious about opinions regarding whether a man could realistically pull this off.
    For me, most definitely! I've worn it quite a bit over the past month and I really enjoy wearing it.
    Currently wearing: Private Label by Jovoy

While ylang is definitely present in the scent, it is, to my nose, part of such a thick and complex chord that ylang haters could very well like the scent. ...The thick and dense dry woods, along with a waxy mimosa note and a skin-like ambrette really flesh out the scent and work in such a way that an extremely floral scent, as far as notes go, doesn't ever feel too floral and never too sweet, heady, or thin/sharp.
    I agree. I find the use of ylang-ylang here quite restrained and well blended into the whole. I also agree that while there are many floral elements in Opus III, the fragrance as a whole doesn't come across as overtly flowery, sweet, or feminine.

Hi Noggs,

How does this scent fare in the heat?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

How does this scent fare in the heat?
    Sorry, but I can't really say. The temperatures had already dropped a bit when I bought Opus III, and they are even lower now. Granted, our winter isn't as cold as some other places, so it is relatively warm compared to many locations, but I couldn't say that it is hot now. Current highs are upper 70s to about 80 F.

It was a little warmer back in mid-October. I felt comfortable wearing it then, and got a good 8-9 hours of longevity. I don't remember it ever feeling cloying or oppressive. BTW, it is by far the best selling of the Opus line here in Saudi Arabia.

I will be able to say more about how Opus II performs in the heat in about six months!

I'm wearing this again today, and I must say that with each wearing I fall deeper in love with it. Such a rich, multifaceted, and natural scent. The mimosa and orange blossom and haylike broom notes evoke sunshine and optimism, while the violet and jasmine juxtapose a melancholic element.

This is a scent that even if I didn't subjectively like it I am quite sure I would still objectively feel it was one of the finest compositions I've ever come across.

Noggs (or anyone who owns this), do you still have the outer cellophane wrap that the box came in? If so, could you do me a huge favor and list the ingredients that are listed on that cellophane. I am just curious. Thanks!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Noggs (or anyone who owns this), do you still have the outer cellophane wrap that the box came in? If so, could you do me a huge favor and list the ingredients that are listed on that cellophane
    Unfortunately I no longer have the cellophane wrap. I do keep it on nearly all my boxes, but the way the Library Collection boxes are designed it wasn't practical, so I just removed it and threw it away.

I'm a bit late coming to this thread but I just have to add my two cents. After reading through all these posts, I have to say that I find agreement most with RickBR but the first two things that came to mind to me were Iris Silver Mist (particularly that cosmetic powdery smell) and Parfumerie Generale (in general, but also a spicy amber that I recall from l'Ombre Fauve, and for some reason Felanilla comes to mind but that's probably a misperception from the mentions of banana and bananawood). I would wear Opus III over either of those in a heartbeat - I love Opus III and did from the first second I applied it. And while it is decidedly feminine to me, it is nonetheless a remarkably enjoyable fragrance that I will continue to confidently wear as a man. Even now, I am wearing it and falling head over heals for it.

I completely miss any violets or ylang-ylang but instantly picked up the carnation, nutmeg (which I couldn't put my finger on at first), and thyme (unusually). The nutmeg to me was oddly comforting because it's not something I usually like and I think the combination of thyme and nutmeg with the mimosa and carnation are what give a sense of serene chaos - and I think thyme is also what gives it that medicinal aspect, further adding to the chaos ("medicine" always implies something is "off"). By that I mean it wasn't chaotic to me at all, but calming and yet not in a way that a medicine can soothe and relieve - much in the way a book and take the chaos and stress of the day away with just a few paragraphs.

Finally, I do end up with that same buttery carnation accord, typical of guerlains. And the orange blossom, although subtle, gives it that slightly "butterfly" affect that I usually get, a flutter in the stomach, a sense of nervous anxiety - dramatic tension! Overall, I find this to be incredibly well-done like most Amouage fragrances and I look forward to one day making my 2mL sample something much larger.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

While I consider myself to be a beginner EDP enthusiast, my "expert nose / fragrance stylist" recommended Opus III specifically for my wardrobe. I am waiting for the delivery and look forward to sharing my experience! I have never bought an EDP of this stature (prestige and cost) on a blind recommendation. This is exciting. I trust the person who chose this for me I actually have butterflies in my stomach. Thanks for sharing your experiences. This is exciting.
    Top Favorite Houses: Amouage / Tom Ford (name brand or private collection) / Hermes

"Do the next right thing."

I just now applied Opus III to my skin. The opening does remind me of XXV except fruity. I am getting vanilla and bananas. I will report later on the dry down.
    Top Favorite Houses: Amouage / Tom Ford (name brand or private collection) / Hermes

Ylang ylang and some musk now. This is decadent but I wonder how long this will last before it changes or cease.