Code of Conduct

Default Does it make you kind of sad...

...that other people don't really appreciate fragrances or have extremely limited tastes in them unlike people on here? I've been seeing someone lately and he hates everything I own except Windsor, GIT and Aqua Nautilus. Pretty much all he likes are fresh run of the mill fragrances other than those. He told me I smelled like an old man while trying out Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford (which I loved) today and he haaaaatttees Bois d'Orage on me, which is one of my absolute favorite fragrances. Grrrrr

Default Re: Does it make you kind of sad...

No, not really. People are different and we all have different taste in things.

It's annoying when a partner dislikes some of your favorites, but I don't mind if the public at large appreciate the quality of my scent when I'm wearing an Amouage or an MPG or a L'Artisan or what have you. I wear scent primarily for myself. It is my own little olfactory story that I get to enjoy for the day.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I just kind of wonder why it's such an under appreciated realm, I was just using the above as an example. Really I don't think I've ever met someone else in real life that really appreciates the world of perfumery.

Phil, don't worry....TL and Bois d'Orage are very nice frags. Maybe if you keep wearing them, his nose might "open up" to the real beauty of those perfumes and might actually start liking it.

Quote Originally Posted by philmcphe View Post
    I just kind of wonder why it's such an under appreciated realm, I was just using the above as an example. Really I don't think I've ever met someone else in real life that really appreciates the world of perfumery.
    Too much 'stuff' that fills up our time. It's the same reason people don't really appreciate music anymore, instead utilizing it as background noise more often than not. Same goes for lack of appreciation of almost all the arts. Who's got time to really delve into anything with any depth in this busy world? Nobody, unless they actively make time to do so.

So, lack of depth in exploration and understanding, by defintion, equals shallow. A shallow society. We've got more than ever to look at, listen to, read learn and explore, and yet as a whole, we appreciate less of it than ever.

Just think: Jazz used to be the popular music of its time. That's actually kind of mind-boggling to me.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Basenotes Institution

Different strokes for different folks ....but at least we are all enlightened !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Too much 'stuff' that fills up our time. It's the same reason people don't really appreciate music anymore, instead utilizing it as background noise more often than not.
    Indeed. I think that may be way a large majority of the BNers have very specific tastes and actually bother to look up and research music and artists.

Sometimes I do get sort of aggravated, but I don't need other people to enjoy fragrances as a hobby. I just wish more could recognize it as one.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

It actually does make me sad :[ it makes me really sad when i show my gf all my cool colognes, and the ones she ends up liking is my friends aqua di gio or something

Good post SOS, I agree completely. It makes me sad that people nowadays has no passion for arts, poems, novels, philosophy or anything that might make existence feel more profound and meaningful. Metaphysical hunger is gone, and we've entered the trivial happiness of the termite nest. Life can be understood only in economical or scientific way. To quote Oscar Milosz; It's an age of jeering ugliness.

It makes me more than kind of sad.

Basenotes Plus

More like 'pity' actually. That they don't get to explore a whole new world with one of God-given senses. It's like stubbornly choosing to wear shades of one color when the world is so much more colorful... I guess that IS kinda sad, isn't it?

Yeah it makes me sad, my girlfriend for example didn't appreciate most of my not so common fragrances, but now she steals from me all the time, I guess I made her appreciate more complex and higher quality fragrances. As with most young girls at first the only things she liked are fresh fragrances or sweet non-offensive gourmands. Whenever I make her smell something woody, spicy or what have you, she asks "why would you want to smell like this or that" but she changed

However, she still criticizes my obsession all the time, and asks "do you have to go through your fragrances 5 times a day" and I reply "it's enjoyable and I have to keep my nose trained". Oh well, it still bothers me, sometimes it's not easy for people to understand that one can get obsessed with a hobby. At least she enjoys some aspects of it. Maybe the best start for you is to start buying things both of you like, and slowly drag him in there. L'Eau D'Ambre Extreme by L'Artisan did the trick for me and my partner, she just fell in love with it and slowly got introduced to the more uncommon and niche perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Exactly.

It only makes me feel more superior...
    Last edited by adonis; 3rd September 2010 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    More like 'pity' actually. That they don't get to explore a whole new world with one of God-given senses. It's like stubbornly choosing to wear shades of one color when the world is so much more colorful... I guess that IS kinda sad, isn't it?
    Not to play the Devil's advocate but the world is all the shades of one color...and depending on how you look at it influences which color it's the shades of. Strictly from an artist's point of view in respect to light, all color comes from the color white, and in respect to matter all colors make black.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

At first, it did make me kind of sad to "stand out" rather than "blend in" (and bear in mind, my frags are mostly designer, so not even particularly rare, exclusive, upscale, high-maintenance or experimental) and thus only get mixed or negative feedback on my fragrance tastes, but Basenotes made me embrace both everyone else's and my own diversity- rather than avoiding it or brushing it off.

I'm fortunate that my other half and I both discovered this world at the same after a visit to a small, handcrafted-perfume store where we spoke we a perfumer at length and watched as she made perfumes before our eyes. It was then both realized what an art form this is. I'd suggest something like that. Almost like going to a vineyard might help someone appreciate the effort and artistry that go into winemaking.

Actually, i don’t think that people who don’t have this hobby don’t appreciate perfume, but do it in a different way. Maybe even in a better way, because they wouldn’t know the scent is good but rather feel or smell it. While i might think, oh, i like how the jasmin blends with the spices, someone else might just think, oh, that’s sexy – or not.

Sur la Plage

...that other people don't really appreciate fragrances or have extremely limited tastes in them unlike people on here? I've been seeing someone lately and he hates everything I own except Windsor, GIT and Aqua Nautilus. Pretty much all he likes are fresh run of the mill fragrances other than those. He told me I smelled like an old man while trying out Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford (which I loved) today and he haaaaatttees Bois d'Orage on me, which is one of my absolute favorite fragrances. Grrrrr
    There are people on Basenotes who are like this also. But as Mimi said, different strokes for different folks.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It's tough when your wife is not as "enlightened" in the world of colognes. For example, on vacation a couple of weeks ago, my wife presented me with a can of Axe Dark Temptation body spray. Not bad for Axe, but wouldn't most basenoters go for Rochas or A*Men instead?

It does suck when you're at the department store and you know more about the fragrance than the person selling it to you. It's even sadder when you ask them for a fragrance with coriander in it, and they don't know what it is.

Then too, this is the beauty of BN, we all unite here with our "obsession" and not have to worry about people who don't know what coriander is lol.

Basenotes Institution

Don't worry. Be happy.

No, not really. I hate baseball and I imagine that would make some folks sort of sad. To each his or her own.

No I do not get sad.....I don't understand why anyone would not want to smell good.....Fragrance is such a wonderful world to explore.....I can't imagine going out without fragrance.....I feel that fragrance is a form of art and fashion.....The history of fragrance is also a very interesting study.....I just Love fragrance.....Niche, Designer, Private Label, Drug Store and on and on!!!
    Gary

No it doesn't make me sad. Or angry, or whatever.....

About the only thing that slightly annoys me is that some of the fragrances I really like don't seem to match up well with what the ladies like. But hey, I guess that's what they make massage parlors for, right?

Not sad, but I was thinking just last night how powerful the sense of smell is vs. how little people really pay attention to it. I purchased some frankincense oil recently because I wanted to know what it smelled like exactly, and immediately and unexpectedly the scent took me back to a Halloween night in 1984, with a memory as powerful as a videotape.

I suppose it is unfortunate that many people choose not to seek out enjoyment in such things as fragrances, but similarly, I cannot imagine missing out on the joy of seeing a performance of Rachmaninov's Third Piano Concerto -- but the majority of the population would not care to see or hear it.

To me, Nautilus Aqua captures the ocean far better than numerous other scents, Erolfa included. And he can obviously identify the quality in GIT, something that escapes many.
    In your position, I'd only feel sad if he said that GIT and Cool Water are exactly the same.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I know that Americans are generally sensually uneducated or unappreciative. Some people believe that typical, bland WASP tastes date back, culturally, to the Puritans -- so perhaps it's memetic. When one considers the spiciest thing in their average daily grind is a shake of black pepper on a baked potato and an NPR joke heard during commute, you may begin to suspect there is an almost anti-hedonist mentality.

If you really want to see the extent of this, get the book -- or read it for free on the website -- "Stuff White People Like".

I dont care what other people think ... although I do get quite fed up when people tell me its a waste of money , you know the kind of people that will spend £100 on a night in the pub

This might not be the case here - hope it isn't - but I've run into several versions of the "because you like it I hate it" game from women, and even male acquaintances, over the years. It's a childish control thing. If you suspect that's what's going on, you'd better directly confront the person who's pulling this on you. Otherwise, it will just go on and on.

If it persists, you need to remove this person from your life as soon as you can.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are just so many things to appreciate that we are undoubtedly missing out on what some other people think are very valuable hobbies and interests. Being interested in scent itself surely does not make us superior, just as being interested in say, antique guns, does not make someone else better.

I think the best thing to cultivate is that mentality of exploration that can then be applied to all of one's interests.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Why would I be sad???

I really think it is unfortunate. The same way I also feel about music too.

Time is a problem...but you can work your way around it. I don't care if people are on web forums chatting about fragrances. But if alot more people appreciated fragrance and would put more effort into seeking fragrance knowledge out....that would be a nice change. Thats how I feel, anyway.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Most non-frag folks probably look at Basenoters in the same manner as geeks, nerds, or losers. Judging by the vast amount of casually dressed people for ANY event, there seems to be a modern fashionable trend of "Being cool means looking like I don't care". Even judges in courtrooms are bothered at this as they see defendants arrive in tattered jeans and an old T-shirt.

Many people do not appreciate fragrance like i do but i do not let it bother me at least i have you guys to talk to when it comes to fragrance when all others think i am insane lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that there are just so many things to appreciate that we are undoubtedly missing out on what some other people think are very valuable hobbies and interests. Being interested in scent itself surely does not make us superior, just as being interested in say, antique guns, does not make someone else better.

I think the best thing to cultivate is that mentality of exploration that can then be applied to all of one's interests.
    This is a fantasitic response.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    Many people do not appreciate fragrance like i do but i do not let it bother me at least i have you guys to talk to when it comes to fragrance when all others think i am insane lol.
    Word David !
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Blog Entries

I think people are just close-minded about things that don't interest them or they don't understand. My family thinks i'm supposed to have 2-3 fragrances. thats IT. I tried to explain to them it's like wearing a different outfit, eating different foods....variety is the spice of life sort of thing. "No that's all different." Not really, you just refuse to think of it like that. My girlfriend enjoys alot of what i wear...yeah she thinks i've got a few too many, but for the most part she actually is really good about it.

Personally, i couldn't give a damn whether or not people appreciate fragrances. Same deal with music for me: i listen to stuff no one else i know listens to and i don't care whether or not it's "normal" music. Do what makes you happy, it's your life.

It's amazing how some people sniff a fragrance and make a simple like/dislike decision in literally a fraction of a second often before the alcohol has evaporated. It takes a little time and attention to really appreciate things. Perhaps they are like this with other things in their life and they are missing out on more than just an appreciation of fragrance. Now that is sad.

Odd thing for us here in the Arabian Gulf is that it's only Westeners who don't really appreciate the scents we're into.
    Fragrance is very important for Arabs and is greatly appreciated.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    It's tough when your wife is not as "enlightened" in the world of colognes. For example, on vacation a couple of weeks ago, my wife presented me with a can of Axe Dark Temptation body spray. Not bad for Axe, but wouldn't most basenoters go for Rochas or A*Men instead?
    Ouch. It's like getting the spouse an inferior look-alike handbag knowing how she raves over a [insert designer label] displayed at the boutique.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensual View Post
    Most non-frag folks probably look at Basenoters in the same manner as geeks, nerds, or losers. Judging by the vast amount of casually dressed people for ANY event, there seems to be a modern fashionable trend of "Being cool means looking like I don't care". Even judges in courtrooms are bothered at this as they see defendants arrive in tattered jeans and an old T-shirt.
    Yup. That's another pet peeve of mine. Many people just don't seem to bother dressing up for occasions, even showing up at weddings in clothes that had seen a lot of wear and more suitable for a day at the mall. And when you show up respectably attired for the occasion, some even have the cheek to wonder out loud, "Hey, aren't you 'overdressed'?"

People have different likes and dislikes, and are entitled to think that your fragrance is not a very good one. That's true, I see it, and I abide by it. The only thing that truly annoys me down to my last nerve is when I'm wearing something nice and someone thinks it's something like Axe. It's only happened a couple of times, but if I go in wearing my Creed BdG and somebody thinks it's Axe or AdG, I may "es-plode".
    Body Kouros, Fahrenheit and other designer bottles for trade in My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by D.Sprad View Post
    People have different likes and dislikes, and are entitled to think that your fragrance is not a very good one. That's true, I see it, and I abide by it. The only thing that truly annoys me down to my last nerve is when I'm wearing something nice and someone thinks it's something like Axe. It's only happened a couple of times, but if I go in wearing my Creed BdG and somebody thinks it's Axe or AdG, I may "es-plode".
    Holy crap I know right??? I had a friend ask if I was wearing AdG when I had Windsor on. I can't hate on him for not having a knowledge of fragrance, but damn I felt like my Windsor had been slapped in the face and then spit on lol

Blog Entries

The path to enlightenment is fraught with obstacles, but here you walk with kindred spirits. Smell well my friend and continue the journey.

Since I've been exploring the world of fragrances there are a few things that have really made me wonder about SAs. It's one of the few areas of the sales experience that I've felt that the people who are trying to sell me something know very little about what it is they are selling. If someone is selling me a refrigerator, or a sneaker or anything else really, typically they have a base knowledge and even some specific knowledge pertaining to what they are selling. With frags it's like they know brands and names of the frags and roughly what it smells like but very little understanding of what makes it smell that way. I get better service and understanding of product from the person at Staples selling me printer paper than I do the SA who works at the fragrance counter.

I've come across so many SAs who push their preference, or push a product without regard to what I'm saying I like or don't like. I personally don't like aquatics or very few of the 'fresh' scents. I don't like 'blue', I don't like summer flankers or any of the sport stuff. I've smelled many and tried to wear a few and it's failed on my nose and my skin, enough to know I don't even go that direction any more. So after telling the 1001th SA the same thing, these are the things I don't like and I like typically 'blacks', sweet, spicy, woody, green stuff...they go to pushing these aquas, sport, summer, blue crap on me. It really kind of makes me wonder why they even got the job....likely it's just a job and they care little about fragrances. The person at the burger joint cares more about burgers and getting my order right than these SAs care about fragrance and me getting something I like. It's just amazing to me that this is the way it is.
    Last edited by Pipsta; 6th September 2010 at 10:16 PM.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

...that other people don't really appreciate fragrances or have extremely limited tastes in them unlike people on here?
    I don't really mind, we are all different and that's ok.
    I'm glad we have Basenotes for that.

Fragrance wearers/aficionados are probably perceived as being "dandys" or flamboyant. In quite a few parts of the U.S., you could possibly get physically assaulted for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandy

As much as I am a enthusiast, I somewhat fall into this category. I think I am more into the "Lady Gaga" of fragrances - they appeal to me for whatever reason they do, and I am okay with that.

I don't recall ever having a conflict with a dating partner about fragrance. I would hate to break up over that. I don't expect my partner to agree with me on everything, even if I am right! What I find more annoying is the perfume salesperson being ignorant about perfume. I was looking for a men's rose fragrance last night at Macys. The salesperson told me she had never heard of such a thing. Now that is sad.

Blog Entries

I tend to think of fragrances as something I geek out on. I know it makes me weird, but everyone has something they get really into. Maybe my friends have no idea what coriander smell like. That's OK - I couldn't fix a car engine if my life depended on it, and I couldn't possibly care less about football player stats or minutia about WWII aircraft, and many people spend their lives studying things like that.

As for poor Phil McPhee who has never met a person in real life who cares about frags, that's what makes the BN meet-ups so much fun.

As for crappy SA's, I guess we're really lucky in San Francisco. I could probably introduce you to a dozen SA's who know as much or more about frags than any senior member of BN. At least around here, it seems to be a lifelong job. Even our Macy's still has the same SA's who sold me my first bottle of grown-up cologne back in 1995 or so...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I love BN, but sometimes I wish I knew somebody in person who shared this interest with me. I just get teased by my friends a bit instead.
    Top 10:
    1. Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    2. YSL M7
    3. Tom Ford Bois Marocain
    4. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    5. Dior Homme/Intense
    6. YSL Opium
    7. Azzaro Pour Homme
    8. Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur
    9. YSL Live Jazz
    10. Burberry London

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
    I love BN, but sometimes I wish I knew somebody in person who shared this interest with me. I just get teased by my friends a bit instead.
    Saaamme here, I guess this wouldn't really get to me at all if this was the case

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    This might not be the case here - hope it isn't - but I've run into several versions of the "because you like it I hate it" game from women, and even male acquaintances, over the years. It's a childish control thing. If you suspect that's what's going on, you'd better directly confront the person who's pulling this on you. Otherwise, it will just go on and on.

If it persists, you need to remove this person from your life as soon as you can.
    FWIW I feel I should mention this was indeed the case, and the person has been permanently removed lol

Nope...To each their own!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....