Code of Conduct

Default The Look On an SA's Face When She Knows You're More Knowledgeable...

Priceless...

I'm never condescending about it, it's the look of "WTF?" on their faces that makes some of this hobby so fun. I get this enthusiastic feeling of "yes! I'm talking fragrances with someone!" only to be brought back into reality when they suggest you try AdG.

Just reading this back makes me feel a bit ridiculous, but I'll bet you know what I mean...

Also, this isn't the case at the Scent Bar
    Last edited by adonis; 3rd September 2010 at 08:35 AM.

Default Re: The Look On an SA's Face When She Knows You're More Knowledgeable...

Every good SA knows AdG is the best smart alec repellent...

Default Re: The Look On an SA's Face When She Knows You're More Knowledgeable...

Now we're talking! There are countless situations of that kind in which I was involved, so that brings up memories. But, in my case, there is always the danger of me mentioning some frags they don't know about and thus to get a quite puzzled reaction, even if this fragrance belongs to the elementary perfume knowledge, for instance, yesterday, the SA stared quite confused at the Guerlain shelves when I asked for Habit Rouge

oh yes, that´s a nice little compensation for their ignorance and inexperience!

I like the way their eyes go all misty and they sort of melt with admiration . . .

Just give a whiff of whatever crap they're pushing and pull out some obscure note: "Though I really enjoy the perfumer's use of Ho Leaf in the top notes, it's just not for me." Let em know who they're dealing with. ;-)

You’re shopping in the wrong places.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    "Though I really enjoy the perfumer's use of Ho Leaf in the top notes, it's just not for me." Let em know who they're dealing with. ;-)
    hahahahahhahaha brilliant, although i'm assuming you're referring to the pre-reformulated edition?
    I take a bottle of wine and I go drink it among the flowers.
    We are always three ... counting my shadow and my friend the shimmering moon
    Happily the moon knows nothing of drinking, and my shadow is never thirsty
    When I sing, the moon listens to me in silence. When I dance, my shadow dances too.
    After all festivities the guests must depart. This sadness I do not know.
    When I go home, the moon goes with me and my shadow follows me

Li Po - II bc

My local perfumery is marketed as the most luxurious in my country, and the only one that sells Creed. A lots of times I have learned the owner about creed perfumes and new releases she has never heard of! Sometimes her face turns quite red, and looks like a big..
    I can read Her minds; "oh no.. here comes that troublesome man again"..

' No dearie, Jicky doesn't exist by Guerlain. I have worked for them for many years and I have never seen it'

I hate it when they are condescending. Just because you are 3 times my ages doesn't mean you know more about Guerlain, evidently they do not in some cases.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

My experience is that sometimes they can get defensive and put out.

they get defensive when you voice your opinion. they expect you to like everything they offer you to sniff

Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G. View Post
    they get defensive when you voice your opinion. they expect you to like everything they offer you to sniff
    that too.

If I'm worried about them treating me badly or being condescending to me, I usually do this. When they ask if they can help me, I immediately ask if they have some obscure fragrance that I simply KNOW they don't carry. When they say "Oh, no I don't think we have that, I've never even heard of it" I get a disappointed look and then say something to the effect of "Well, do you mind if I just sniff around and see if I can find something similar?"

Since they don't know the scent in question, they usually won't try to help and will leave you be to sniff away at your leisure. This also avoids creating a situation where they feel threatened because there is such little interaction involved that they don't ever know how much more knowledgeable you are than them.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

AromiErotici

They're just people like you and I making a paycheck.....so, even though some of them aren't good at their job, there are some who are very good and accommodating. Law of averages in every field dictate a certain percentage of inferior personnel.

This fall when the weather turns cold, I am going to go "sampling" at our local mall. I plan on bringing a large atomizer of Punjab and when the SA's aren't looking, I'll spray over the skin I just sampled on and then wrinkle my face all up and ask them....."Wow !....is it supposed to smell this strong"?

I shall do that for every scent I sample. Every new release will smell like Punjab and I want to see how long it takes the SA to figure out I'm bustin their chops.

You're wicked Aromi!

Adonis and I run in a lot of the same frag circles here in LA.

I have a lot of patience with SAs until they start INSISTING I try something I am already familiar with and have no interest. Last week, a Hanae Mori rep was relentlessly trying to stick a sample in my face.

Indeed, I will give two thumbs up to the Scent Bar. I think they get attacked by so many BNers, they start by assuming you know a lot and work their way down. They are in a slightly off the beaten path location that doesn't generate a lot of walk in traffic like a mall. I drove by it for years thinking it was some sort of mom and pop candle and soap store. Every time I go there I run into someone familiar with BN, even if only a lurker. I also ran into the cute woman who does reviews on YouTube.

Once you've been there a couple of times, they stay pretty locked into who you are too.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 3rd September 2010 at 03:00 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I absolutely detest being followed around by SAs who shove new releases in my face - like in Macy's . I just can't stand turning every little corner and someone stands in your way with a bottle of ...the new' this ' and the new 'that'.
    However, when I am rooting around big stores where SAs are a little more discreet, I do love talking with them . I find a lot of the SAs in the bigger stores like Neimans ,Barney's and Saks can talk perfume back to you and we banter about other stuff too .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    However, when I am rooting around big stores where SAs are a little more discreet, I do love talking with them . I find a lot of the SAs in the bigger stores like Neimans ,Barney's and Saks can talk perfume back to you and we banter about other stuff too .
    Yes, Nieman and Barney's tend to recognize quickly if they're dealing with someone knowledgeable. My Saks Bev Hills experiences are mixed.

The worst are the faux SAs who are really reps of one particular company that must steer you to their line. Like many of you, I haunt many of these places so often I can usually spot the SA that "sticks out."

Most of the SAs know me and know enough to leave me alone because I am a no nonsense shopper. They know what I like.

[QUOTE=Mimi Gardenia;1922512]I absolutely detest being followed around by SAs who shove new releases in my face - like in Macy's . I just can't stand turning every little corner and someone stands in your way with a bottle of ...the new' this ' and the new 'that'.

Thank you, sweetie. This confirms my experience as well.

Basenotes Institution

[QUOTE=Hamp;1922528]
    I absolutely detest being followed around by SAs who shove new releases in my face - like in Macy's . I just can't stand turning every little corner and someone stands in your way with a bottle of ...the new' this ' and the new 'that'.

Thank you, sweetie. This confirms my experience as well.
    Hamp , surely, surely, they know we don't like being pestered ,harrassed in this way .

[QUOTE=Mimi Gardenia;1922531]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamp View Post

Hamp , surely, surely, they know we don't like being pestered ,harrassed in this way .
    Perhaps. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    You're wicked Aromi!

Adonis and I run in a lot of the same frag circles here in LA.

I have a lot of patience with SAs until they start INSISTING I try something I am already familiar with and have no interest. Last week, a Hanae Mori rep was relentlessly trying to stick a sample in my face.

Indeed, I will give two thumbs up to the Scent Bar. I think they get attacked by so many BNers, they start by assuming you know a lot and work their way down. They are in a slightly off the beaten path location that doesn't generate a lot of walk in traffic like a mall. I drove by it for years thinking it was some sort of mom and pop candle and soap store. Every time I go there I run into someone familiar with BN, even if only a lurker. I also ran into the cute woman who does reviews on YouTube.

Once you've been there a couple of times, they stay pretty locked into who you are too.
    Yes, that IS wicked, Aromi!

All in all most SAs for perfumes are indeed just salespeople who do not know the product. The other day, I tried to buy bird cage supplies in a major pet supply chain store and the SA did not even know what a "perch" was, as she was calling them "sticks," of all things. Most are paid to push the latest launch, as Stylin and Mimi observe, or are company reps.

Stylin, I think it is great you live close to the brick-and-mortar Scent Bar (Lucky Scent online!) as I think the service and knowledge are expert. That they remember you is a real customer service plus.

(Add this this the irksome way some cannot pronounce the French names of the frags. Granted one does not have to come off like a linguist, but at least try to get the name straight!)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I've actually had a lady at the Perfume Factory condescendingly try to tell me that Givenchy Vetyver didn't exist, and that Guerlain would have sued the pants off of them if they tried to name their fragrance that. She claimed to have over 25 years experience. Wow.

Nowadays whenever i go out i manage the conversation and feedback to a minimum, that's the best way both of us won't end up annoying each other...i usually go out when i want to buy a bunch of bottles so at the end i demand lots of samples.

If they refuse or become condescending after i got a lot of things to buy and separated them, i just walk out of the store with no response whatsoever, there's always another store to buy from.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    Nowadays whenever i go out i manage the conversation and feedback to a minimum, that's the best way both of us won't end up annoying each other...i usually go out when i want to buy a bunch of bottles so at the end i demand lots of samples.

If they refuse or become condescending after i got a lot of things to buy and separated them, i just walk out of the store with no response whatsoever, there's always another store to buy from.
    The best negotiating sales tool is one's feet. When one is buying fine fragrance, esp. the big ticket frags, I insist the SAs treat me with courtesy and give me samples.

As Richard Gere's character said in the film, "Pretty woman": "I am going spend an obscene amount of money and I expect more sucking-up."

The other day, the DH was buying a jacket and not a cheap one. The young female SA (a "girl," if you will) was more interested in flirting with a young male customer, oblivious to the fact we wanted service. Then an older woman came over and "insisted" we look at buying the trousers to match when we had not even tried on the jacket! That was it. We quietly walked out of the store unnoticed by either SA. Then we bought the item online, as we had the style name and number.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Well they were all like

and then I was all like

But seriously folks. At smaller stores like JCPenney's and Macy's, especially around here, they really don't know much of anything. That's why I was excited to visit NYC, but it didn't change that much. The Bond no.9 counter talked about how New Haarlem is great because it's "warm". Then at the Clive Christian counter some random SA sprayed a bottle around 8 times on my hand and said "it's citrus".
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Some interesting observations on here....as somebody here with (at best) intermediate level knowledge at this point, I can relate to similar experiences:

Have in fact run into that same exact reaction asking about Habit Rouge. Also it does peev me when a rep for another line tries to pull you over to their wares. Happened to me at a Saks by a Bond rep while I was looking at Creeds. In fairness, she did load me up with samples.

At this point I rely more on you guys and girls for info and just try to avoid the SA when I want to sample something...

Quote Originally Posted by Force of One View Post
    Some interesting observations on here....as somebody here with (at best) intermediate level knowledge at this point, I can relate to similar experiences:

Have in fact run into that same exact reaction asking about Habit Rouge. Also it does peev me when a rep for another line tries to pull you over to their wares. Happened to me at a Saks by a Bond rep while I was looking at Creeds. In fairness, she did load me up with samples.

At this point I rely more on you guys and girls for info and just try to avoid the SA when I want to sample something...
    I am amazed that the Guerlain reps do not know Habit Rouge, and all-time classic! I also saw Lancome reps who did not know Cuir de Lancome.

Most of the time smiles and intrigue, and lots of questions....but occasionally you get that one standoff scumbag that resents the informed customer.....and that drives me nuts.....haven't had a standoff in quite some time.

Blog Entries

I always get the same forced smile. Like, when a SA asks if I've tried something & I say I have, or that I'm not really looking for that type of fragrance @ the moment, etc.

And I'm with Mimi, I despise the whole "new" thing. Most of the time the frags they're touting as "new" have been out for months, & sometimes a year or more!

Sometimes I get rewarded, though. Like one time I was at Macy's looking around. I started talking to this one SA & she could tell I was fairly knowledgeable. She asked me what some of my favorite fragrances were. I mentioned M7. Her jaw dropped & she exclaimed "Where do you find M7 these days???" Turns out she was a big fan!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

lol, new fragrances are rarely new. I've been presented with things that have been out for years, but have been advertised for a lot lately, as new.

Anyhow I'm yet to meet a SA who understands that I could be possibly more knowledgeable. They're either naive/not caring about what I say or ask, or they insist that I'm wrong.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I am amazed that the Guerlain reps do not know Habit Rouge, and all-time classic! I also saw Lancome reps who did not know Cuir de Lancome.

I'm wondering if pronounciation plays into this at all? I rarely pronounce the names as the SA does in Dept stores. My french isn't perfect but, I sometimes feel like bringing the name written down and passing the note to them- here, I want to try this.

And no body actually trains these SA's do they? Last year, I was looking for Prada Infusion D'Iris. The SA said, no, we only have "Prada Milano". I said, keep reading further down on the box, dear, because you are going to miss sales. Milano is where the company is based.

Agree that the "have you tried our brand new fragrance" pitch is super annoying whem it's actually been out for a few years. It's new to them, perhaps.

And then, at the other end of the spectrum, there's the Scent Bar (cue celestial music). I've only been 2 times but everything about it- the way it's organized, the knowledge, the service is a world apart.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

AromiErotici

But seriously folks. At smaller stores like JCPenney's and Macy's, especially around here, they really don't know much of anything. That's why I was excited to visit NYC, but it didn't change that much. The Bond no.9 counter talked about how New Haarlem is great because it's "warm". Then at the Clive Christian counter some random SA sprayed a bottle around 8 times on my hand and said "it's citrus".[/QUOTE] CanwllCorfe

Now THAT'S what I call a real-time review.

First off, a big 'hello' to one and all. It's an honour and a priviledge to finally join the BN ranks after months of lurking.
    I hate that my first post is a bitchy one, but I couldn't resist adding my two pennies worth.
    A couple of months ago, I went to the Chanel boutique here in London. Here is how the conversation went:

SA no.1: Hello, sir, may I help you?
    Me: Yes, I'm after a bottle of Bois des îles, please.
    SA no.1: Uuh, sorry, what are you after?
    Me: A bottle of Bois des îles, please.
    SA no.1: [looking panicky] Um..., all our men's fragrences are over there [gestures towards table of testers].
    Me: riiight, well, I don't know, I think it may be marketed as a women's perfume, but,um, you know...
    SA no.1: err, [nervous laughter] what was the name of the fragrance again?
    Me: Bois des îles [now I'm looking panicky, thinking I may have walked into the wrong shop. I glance around to reassure myself I'm actually at Chanel.]
    SA.no1: Um, let me ask my colleague, she knows all about perfumes and stuff.
    SA.no2: Hello sir, may I help you?
    Me: I'd like to buy a bottle of Bois des îles, please.
    SA no.2 Ah yes, here you go, a classic [cue a friendly 5 minute chat about it].

The best though came a couple of minutes later as SA no.2 was wrapping and bagging my bottle. SA no.1 sidled up to her colleague and asked, in hushed tones: "Is it a new fragrance?".

All this in the same week that the SA at the Guerlian counter in Harrods denied any knowledge of a vetiver.

To their collective credit, the SAs were all of them incredibly polite and apologetic. It does make you wonder what sort of training they receive though.

So there you have it. First post and rant officially over.

First off noone likes a smartass and I dont like to come off as one , besides Im not clever enough to anyway ... but earlier this year an assistant was trying to push that Prada Vetiver on me , I was more interested in the Tuberose but she was insistant it was a womans fragrance AND NOT FOR MEN she wold bark in her lovely French accent . Anyway she was spraying and spritzing this godawful Prada vetiver shit around me and I just asked her - who would buy this junk when you have Guerlains Vetiver in the same store ? She just shrugged her shoulders as if to say I know , I know

OK so the story isnt an example of how clever I am , its not even all that interesting , why did I type it out ? I have so Im posting it all the same

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    First off, a big 'hello' to one and all. It's an honour and a priviledge to finally join the BN ranks after months of lurking.
    I hate that my first post is a bitchy one, but I couldn't resist adding my two pennies worth.
    A couple of months ago, I went to the Chanel boutique here in London. Here is how the conversation went:

SA no.1: Hello, sir, may I help you?
    Me: Yes, I'm after a bottle of Bois des îles, please.
    SA no.1: Uuh, sorry, what are you after?
    Me: A bottle of Bois des îles, please.
    SA no.1: [looking panicky] Um..., all our men's fragrences are over there [gestures towards table of testers].
    Me: riiight, well, I don't know, I think it may be marketed as a women's perfume, but,um, you know...
    SA no.1: err, [nervous laughter] what was the name of the fragrance again?
    Me: Bois des îles [now I'm looking panicky, thinking I may have walked into the wrong shop. I glance around to reassure myself I'm actually at Chanel.]
    SA.no1: Um, let me ask my colleague, she knows all about perfumes and stuff.
    SA.no2: Hello sir, may I help you?
    Me: I'd like to buy a bottle of Bois des îles, please.
    SA no.2 Ah yes, here you go, a classic [cue a friendly 5 minute chat about it].

The best though came a couple of minutes later as SA no.2 was wrapping and bagging my bottle. SA no.1 sidled up to her colleague and asked, in hushed tones: "Is it a new fragrance?".

All this in the same week that the SA at the Guerlian counter in Harrods denied any knowledge of a vetiver.

To their collective credit, the SAs were all of them incredibly polite and apologetic. It does make you wonder what sort of training they receive though.

So there you have it. First post and rant officially over.
    Why, my good man, did you not know they receive an intensive, six week crash course at Wally World?

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Why, my good man, did you not know they receive an intensive, six week crash course at Wally World?
    Wally world? Is that where they are all made to wear red and white stripy shirts, bobble hats and thick rimmed glasses?
    Oh wait, he's 'Waldo' to you State-siders...

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici
    Now THAT'S what I call a real-time review.
    Yeah really! Maybe I could take up YouTube reviews and only say one word about each fragrance.

I'm onto something
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    Yeah really! Maybe I could take up YouTube reviews and only say one word about each fragrance.

I'm onto something
    Minimalism is the new world order my friend....

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    .......but I'll bet you know what I mean......
    I just try to keep it fun. Makes it easier. I don't expect them to be knowledgeable about fragrance. Many of those people turn out to be extremely cool when you get them on another subject, and I've found that most of them are always glad to know that there is more to know.

I really get disappointed with SA's that know so little.

I've held various sales positions in the past selling various different products. And even when I wasn't on commission, I still felt that part of my job requirement was to know about the products I was selling. Even competitor's products.

Maybe that was a different time, and my work ethic was normal then.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Basenotes Institution

Well, one Macy's Estee Lauder SA had never heard of the Private Collection range..........

I once had a SA at Bloomingdales push Victor and Rolf's Antidote on me to the point I wanted to spray her in the eyes with it. To this day, I don't want to try it because of her.

Conversely, I had a great conversation last evening with a lovely woman from India who was the SA at the Sephora where I was shopping. She seemed very knowledgeable. But one thing she said made me smile. She said, "Modern men's perfumery is abysmal. My associates and I classify all new mens' fragrances that come into the shop in one of these categories: 1. baby powder, 2. candy, or 3. detergent. And nothing smells original."

I got a kick out of that.
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 4th September 2010 at 03:24 AM.

I was recently fragrance shopping in Nordstrom, alternating between the men's counter and the women's counter with fragrant testing strips in hand. An SA approached me and said, "If you have any questions, sir, please let me know. I'm a Nordstrom fragrance specialist." (I'm thinking, "Okay. Wow. Impressive.")

After shopping on my own for a bit, I noticed the Estee Lauder fragrances are kept at the Estee Lauder counter. So I asked the same woman, "Can you help me with the Estee Lauder fragrances?"

"Yes, sir, I'm a fragrance specialist." (I'm thinking, "Ya, I knew that." But instead I asked...)

"Do you have JHL in stock, or is that strictly an online item?"

"JHL? I've never heard of that. Are you sure you have the name correct, sir?"

Ummm...bye...

happens to me a lot, many say that i should work at saks or creed boutique. in many cases i have smelled or know more about it than they do lol.

Wink Re: The Look On an SA's Face When She Knows You're More Knowledgeable...

I'm always pleasant as I converse with SA's, but most here look at me like a calf looks at a new gate. Like...huh??

God, there is this old SA at the Barneys ,she is such a bitch , she will follow you like your stealing something , she followed me for a good 6-7 minutes and giving a very condescending stare , thinking she would scare me out of the store , I didnt leave for a good 1 hour . I told her I will ask her help If I needed ( I didnt). Most SA's are nice I find but some are such bitches oh god .