Code of Conduct

Default Purchasing niche fragrances from ebay, safe?

Is it safe to buy a niche fragrance from ebay (amouage)? I know brands like Chanel and Creed are regularly faked and sold over there, but what about the less known houses?

I've been shopping at ebay for a while, and I'm very knowledgeable about how things work there. However what I'm specifically asking is, if it's fake, is it easy to report that to ebay and get a return, same way it is with any other product? this is going to be my first perfume purchase from there and I don't know if it works the same way for perfumes as it does with electronics and such.

Thanks,
    -Ekove

Default Re: Purchasing niche fragrances from ebay, safe?

one of the things I look for is the feedback from other buyers of similar products, assuming they'd spot a fake before me. So I'll read their feedback, paying attention to if that seller has sold a bunch of rare or niche stuff and if the other customers were happy too. In some cases I'm also more likely to buy from someone who doens't look like a churning businesses selling hundreds of random bottles (liquidator), but rather a person with a collection who's selling off a few and comments about how they've stored them or where they were purchased. To me - half used sounds promising, ie they just don't want it anymore. A few sprays, could mean they didn't like it, or it could mean something was wrong with it. New in the box is a mixed bag of potentials...

that's just one thing I do though.

have you used toolhaus.org? - you enter the seller's name and it'll show you all the negative feedback. It'll also show you feedback that is not longer listed or withdrawn...
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 4th September 2010 at 04:45 PM.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    one of the things I look for is the feedback from other buyers of similar products.
    Yep! That is the golden rule.
    Use a seller with good feedback,
    and you're all good!

not familiar with toolhaus.org. I never used any ebay applications or tools before and just depended on my knowledge and common sense. I'll give it a look.

I checked the seller, and he sells few random niche fragrances. However, he has a generic description. Now from his feedback he sounds honest, but on the other hand the no description makes me think he possibly could be not very knowledgeable and he might be selling a fake that he himself does not know is a fake. Anyhow, do you have any experience with reporting receiving a fake perfume to ebay?

Check the feedback, see if they accept returns, stay clear if they do not accept PayPal and if something looks too good to be true, give it a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Check the feedback, see if they accept returns, stay clear if they do not accept PayPal and if something looks too good to be true, give it a miss.
    Very good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Very good advice.
    definitely!