Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Houbigant Fougère Royale: A first sniff

One of the outside reps at Neiman's had a roll-on sample of the much-expected re-issue of Houbigant Fougère Royale, one of the first fougère-style fragrances. I got a pretty generous application to the back of my right hand. The version in the roll-on bottle was the EdP; there will be a pure perfume as well.

The 1882 version, according to Fragrantica.com:

Fougere Royale by Houbigant is a aromatic fougere fragrance for men. Fougere Royale was launched in 1882. The nose behind this fragrance is Paul Parquet. Top notes are lavender, clary sage and bergamot; middle notes are carnation, orchid, heliotrope, rose and geranium; base notes are tonka bean, musk, vanilla, oakmoss, and coumarin.

My informant (who knows the people behind the fragrance) says the U. S. press launch will be in October, with the juice in stores sometime in November.

Impressions: Fresh, spicy, green. I've got to say the first whiff was just what I always thought a good fougère should be. As it dries down, it takes on a slightly oriental character. I'm not sure what that might be — I didn't see any list of notes, and neither had my informant. The most striking impression on drydown is the green and the fougère aspect. I have no idea how this matches up to the original. Nowadays, anything like the original would probably be impossible to reproduce on multiple counts... and yet, this smells something like what the original list of notes would seem to indicate.

No idea of bottle sizes, but price points are $600 for the pure perfume, and $170 for the EdP. I've reserved a bottle of the former. Word is it will be a very limited edition.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Blog Entries

Default Re: Houbigant Fougère Royale: A first sniff

VERY cool. Do you know if this will go beyond Neiman's? I can't see springing for the pure perfume myself, but the EDP is within reason for such an historic fragrance.

To think that I might have started with Brut, to eventually sniff this one!!!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I know the launch will be at Neiman's. I don't know anything definite about distribution to other retailers. Maybe that will be clear at the time of the launch. The people who are reviving this are in Europe. Don't know about European launch dates either. My informant is here, but travels to Europe frequently, and has occasional contact with them.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Jaime, this is a very welcome post. I have been wondering about this relaunch, and I'm glad to hear about it. I'm one of the fortunate few to own and experience the real deal, in my case a 1960's version of the scent. It has amazing oakmoss in it and is a peak experience. Forest floor in a bottle... While I don't expect that the new version can match it, I am looking forward to trying it and appreciating it for what it is -- a fougere for the 21st century.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

^^ Thanks, Jaime!

^ Wow - you have it already, Ody? And 50-year vintage at that. Very nice!

I got inspired by this thread, and today I'm wearing my vintage Fougere Royale. It is incredible. Jaime's description links up with some of what I'm experiencing with the 1960's scent.
    "Fresh, spicy, green" -- yes. I find it very grassy, like a sunny meadow. But there are certainly green notes here, and the hay-like coumarin has a certain spicy treatment.
    "Slightly oriental" -- I see what Jaime means. The scent is so rich it is almost heady. There is a hint of vanilla but here, it works. The scent is NOT sweet. It is rich, it has floral notes, but I wouldn't call it sweet.
    The intensity of this vintage scent is incredible. So too its longevity. The juice is golden, like Scotch with a splash of water.
    Perhaps the modern parfum will approach this... though that price puts it out of my league. But I'll happily pay for the EdP, if I can locate some.
    As a related aside -- vonMises has started a fougere discussion group here at Basenotes. Check it out!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I'm a fougère fiend, so a reissue of the granddaddy of them all will have a prominent spot on my radar. Hope to find a bottle when it's released.

Jaime, did the SA mention what sizes the bottles will be? $600 for the parfum is a lot, but I'll still plunk down the money for it if it's of a reasonable size.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    No idea of bottle sizes, but price points are $600 for the pure perfume, and $170 for the EdP. I've reserved a bottle of the former. Word is it will be a very limited edition.
    My source wasn't sure about bottle sizes...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Basenotes Institution

Wow I missed the news of this release. Sounds wonderful.

A fougere parfum. How cool is that!

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    I'm a fougère fiend, so a reissue of the granddaddy of them all will have a prominent spot on my radar. Hope to find a bottle when it's released.

Jaime, did the SA mention what sizes the bottles will be? $600 for the parfum is a lot, but I'll still plunk down the money for it if it's of a reasonable size.

Join the fougerites here: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=73 !!

Blog Entries

Thanks to this thread, I had to go try it on today.

I'll admit, I don't care that much for the fougere's I've tried (since when do ferns smell like lavender??).

Oh. My. God.

I REALLY liked Fougere Royale. It's leafy and green and deep and brown and moody in that way that only vintage French scents seem to be able to pull off. I can actually see how it's an artful rendition of a deep wooded spot with ferns covering the ground between the damp, mossy trees.

Forget Wonderwood, Bang, Aventus, and all the Basenotes darlings. This and the L'Artisan vetiver are the official must-trys of the year.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I like what you are saying, rogalal!
    odysseusm

Does anyone know if this will be available in the UK, and if so, where? Cheers.

Jaime & Ody,
    could you compare your FR experiences with Penhaligon's English Fern, Trumper's Wild Fern and/or Crown Fougère, which to my mind are the last Victorian-style fougères around, albeit reformulated?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

@ the_good_life:

Sorry, I don't know any of the ones you mention. The English fern accord is one I've heard about, but never smelled.

Ody: Any thoughts?

Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

I have bottles of this, the oldest from the 50's. (Still hunting for older bottles. I'm your ultimate customer). Except for strength, all smell the same, fantastic and singular. I cannot think of anything current to which FR resembles. I am eager to test the re-launch with these older versions. I believe Fougère Royale was the first coumarin based fragrance.
    Griff

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Jaime & Ody,
    could you compare your FR experiences with Penhaligon's English Fern, Trumper's Wild Fern and/or Crown Fougère, which to my mind are the last Victorian-style fougères around, albeit reformulated?
    Hi, sorry to be late to respond! Somehow this thread escaped my attention until its recent revival.
    Well, I have all of the British scents and as I've said a vintage Houbigant.
    They all have a very similar style, variations on a theme really. Namely an aromatic lavender top, with a hay-like coumarin chord and a perky, almost soapy/rubbery tone from oakmoss. Trumper's is very green and minty-fresh, Penhaligon's has some spice, and the late lamented Crown is the most powerful of those three, with very woody and spicy notes. The Houbigant is much, much deeper and more forest floor due to the old-school application of copious amounts of oakmoss. But they definitely are all kissin' cousins.
    odysseusm

My Neiman Marcus just got in a tester bottle, but no stock of this today. I have to say it is absolutely wonderful. Whereas the original smells much closer to Trumper's Wild Fern (which who knows what it smelled like fresh, I only know from a decant of some very old juice). The new Houbigant Fougère Royale smells much more complex. It reminds me somewhat of a very smooth and refined version of Duc de Vervins (only somewhat). The dry down was very lovely and smooth. I can't wait to be able to get a sample of this and spend a bit more time with it, since one wearing doesn't give me enough time to wrap my head around it.

Yeah, the drydown of the relaunched Fougere Royale is really top shelf quality. It's another traditional masterpiece, like Vintage Tabarome, that I feel compelled to purchase even though though I know I won't wear it out. Impeccable bottle/cap/packaging as well. All around A+ for Houbigant. Eager to test more releases from them.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    The new Houbigant Fougère Royale smells much more complex. It reminds me somewhat of a very smooth and refined version of Duc de Vervins (only somewhat).
    I certainly hope the connection with Duc de V is only 'somewhat'. Anymore than a slightly passing resemblance wouldn't a plus in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    I certainly hope the connection with Duc de V is only 'somewhat'. Anymore than a slightly passing resemblance wouldn't a plus in my book.
    It is a fougere with a definite coniferous element, so they are in the same family. But all the rough edges are filed off in Fougere Royale... it's very smooth and elegant. I do like DV, but it is a bit of a rough ride by comparison with FR. I was expecting more of an English Fern or Wild Fern, but it is a bit more modern than either of those. The coniferous note is very apparent, but extremely pleasant with no sharpness at all.

This one is now off my short list and on the "to purchase soon" list. I really love it a lot!

It is a fougere with a definite coniferous element, so they are in the same family. But all the rough edges are filed off in Fougere Royale... it's very smooth and elegant. I do like DV, but it is a bit of a rough ride by comparison with FR. I was expecting more of an English Fern or Wild Fern, but it is a bit more modern than either of those. The coniferous note is very apparent, but extremely pleasant with no sharpness at all.
    thanks for the added info - sounds like it's at least worth a test

Fougère Royale is now for sale on Neiman Marcus's website. The EdP is in stock, the parfum is listed for pre-order.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Good stuff. I ended up buying a bottle of the edp. Only wish is that it could be a bit deeper with more projection. I imagine that parfum stregnth would fit the bill. Anyone else that tried it had issues with projection?

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    Fougère Royale is now for sale on Neiman Marcus's website. The EdP is in stock, the parfum is listed for pre-order.
    Yep. Oddly listed as part of the "Quelques Fleurs Collection" and not simply "Houbigant". Also apparently formally called "Fougere Royale 1882".

deleted

---
    Last edited by deleted; 1st January 2011 at 12:53 AM.

A review by Kevin has been posted at Now Smell This.

He seems to like it, but isn't enamored with it. I've still ordered a bottle each of the Edp and parfum.

Sur la Plage

I think it is a fantastic fragrance - one of the best releases of the year.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I think it is a fantastic fragrance - one of the best releases of the year.
    I agree!

Bergdorf's in New York has it. To me it is a lot like Wild Fern or English Fern, but I will sample it a few more times before I make up my mind. It did not, however, bring out a "wow" in me. The bottle is really beautiful, however.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 4th December 2010 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Additional Information

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Bergdorf's in New York has it. To me it is a lot like Wild Fern or English Fern, but I will sample it a few more times before I make up my mind. It did not, however, bring out a "wow" in me. The bottle is really beautiful, however.
    Interesting! I was expecting Wild Fern or English Fern and was so surprised at how it didn't smell like either of them so much. Noses really perceive differently!

Took 3 test wearings for me to understand or 'get' this one.
    Honestly, it came off as a little femme @ first for me but I was fairly determined to see if it could work to help break me out of a scent genre rut.

The lady of the house isn't all that impressed. She wants her guy to smell macho and while I like to accommodate the preference - it gets old. She just may have to suck it up on this one & give in to some 'nose' training 'cause I think I should have this one.
    Last edited by SoGent; 13th December 2010 at 11:28 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I can't believe I was at Bergdorf in NY and I totally forgot to smell this when I was there. (sigh)

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    Took 3 test wearings for me to understand or 'get' this one.
    Honestly, it came off as a little femme @ first for me but I was fairly determined to see if it could work to help break me out of a scent genre rut.

The lady of the house isn't all that impressed. She wants her guy to smell macho.
    She just may have to suck it up on this one & give in to some 'nose' training 'cause I think I should have this one.
    It will grow on her!

I love this scent! I always have one herbal fresh scent. For the last 2 years it's been L'eau de Neroli, Diptyque. Prior I stocked up on Basilico, Aqua di Parma for 5-6 years. Fougere Royal will be the most elegant so far. I thought the sillage was perfect. It cut through my friend's perfume and restaurant scents. If my boyfriend wore this, I would think he had great taste!
    Last edited by Kalynne; 13th December 2010 at 04:05 AM.

Interesting! I was expecting Wild Fern or English Fern and was so surprised at how it didn't smell like either of them so much. Noses really perceive differently!
    Now, there's no intention on the part of Houbigant to say this is in anyway similar to the original are they? I know we don't have anything really to go on, relative to earlier versions, but I want to be clear in my mind that this is a "new" fragrance, not something that is supposed to be the same as or very similar to the original.

This one is excellent, but sadly, the staying power/projection on this one is kind of weak for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Now, there's no intention on the part of Houbigant to say this is in anyway similar to the original are they? I know we don't have anything really to go on, relative to earlier versions, but I want to be clear in my mind that this is a "new" fragrance, not something that is supposed to be the same as or very similar to the original.
    I don't know what the stated intention from Houbigant was, since I haven't ready any releases from them. If you have smelled the original vintage Fougere Roayle, it is definitely different from the new one... but who knows what it really smelled like back in the day, since the fragrance even if well kept over the years is bound to have changed. To me, the vintage FR smells very close to both English Fern and Wild Fern... a lavender/coumarin accord that has been very well rounded. I prefer the new FR personally. I think it's really excellent. I tested it around the same time I was first testing Aventus. I found the longevity to be about the same for each of those fragrances on me... not great, but not abysmal either.

I am going to shamble back over to Bergdorf's and steal a few more squirts of FR, and see if I was right or wrong before. Since the opinion of a Basenoter of your inestimable reputation must be given due regard. ;0)

Finally getting around to doing a side by side test of the 'vintage' and 'new release' and have to completely agree with mrclmind's assessment. This is one of those cases where the updated version is as good or better than the original.

Granted, my vintage decant is an edc but I believe it's still a fair comparison. The top notes of the vintage are very, very smooth and does radiate fern moreso than the new - which would be obvious when comparing the notes.

The progression of the new is definitely spicier than the original but not at all sharp. The oakmoss & coumarin are almost identical in intensity & depth with tonka showing up for sure in the recreation. This new kid truly is awesome & quite a bit different for me. Glad I found the Amouage Harrods Ltd Editions and this one & have targeted its first true use as New Years Eve. Think I'll layer the old with the new.

I don't know what the stated intention from Houbigant was, since I haven't ready any releases from them. If you have smelled the original vintage Fougere Roayle, it is definitely different from the new one... but who knows what it really smelled like back in the day, since the fragrance even if well kept over the years is bound to have changed. To me, the vintage FR smells very close to both English Fern and Wild Fern... a lavender/coumarin accord that has been very well rounded. I prefer the new FR personally. I think it's really excellent. I tested it around the same time I was first testing Aventus. I found the longevity to be about the same for each of those fragrances on me... not great, but not abysmal either.
    Last edited by SoGent; 15th December 2010 at 02:57 AM.

I finally got to try it and buy it. Great scent! But I seem to have a problem. I bought it in Vegas and didn't open it up until I got home. The nameplate is off it and the back corners seem to be chipped. Did anyone else have a problem with the bottle?

Cheers!

Gojira
    Scents I have that are not in the database.

Amouage Molook Attar
    Full Incense - Montale
    Oudh Lacquer by Soivohle
    Shalimar Ode de la Vanille by Guerlain
    Mukhalat Makaki Perfume Oil by Swiss Arabian
    Man Amber by Halston
    Absolue pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Puro Intense by Nejma

Quote Originally Posted by Gojira View Post
    I finally got to try it and buy it. Great scent! But I seem to have a problem. I bought it in Vegas and didn't open it up until I got home. The nameplate is off it and the back corners seem to be chipped. Did anyone else have a problem with the bottle?

Cheers!

Gojira
    Certainly you can exchange this? Something like this is very luxe and the seller would surely replace it with a perfect item.

What is the news on this, gojira?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I am now sitting in a cloud of Fougere Royale and my SOTD which is Lady Vengeance (hahahaha). I have sprayed FR on my left arm. My friend brought to our office his newly purchased bottle of Fougere Royale which looks so nice and heavy. It is a great scent. Lots of lemon on top. At the heart I can smell a lot of greens. It is indeed a fresh-spicy-green scent with high quality ingredients. For lovers of Duc de Vervins, Carthusia Uomo, you will definitely love this one.
    Last edited by volley2; 15th June 2011 at 06:29 AM.

I tested this at NM today. I get Balenciaga Pour Homme out of it. White bottle with light blue accents? Real nice.

The new Fougere Royale has nothing to do with the original, but it's actually a smaller, lighter, greener, less spicy relative of Havana (Aramis). It's well-blended and the ingredients smell like some money was put into it, but it's even duller than the Aramis. Don't get me wrong, I used to love Havana, but its reliance on affable spices led me to lose interest in it pretty fast. With the new so-called Fougere Royale, it happened a lot faster.

But you can't expect much from a perfumer (Rodrigo Flores-Roux) who thinks Acqua di Gio is one of the best fragrances ever made. I'll take one Havana to ten Fougere Royale reissues any day.
    Last edited by pluran; 13th June 2011 at 09:48 AM.

Since this thread has been resurrected, I purchased a small decant. I think the new FR EdP is a good "modernized" version of the original Fougere Royale though I've never smelled the original. I would speculate that it was more in the fashion of English Fern or Crown Fougere as a true fougere based around the distinct lavender-geranium-tonka accord. FR has this structure but it is heavily embellished with aromatic elements thus making it a aromatic fougere in the fashion of YSL's excellent albeit affordable Jazz. My favorite part of the FR is the delicate floral heart of carnation, rose, geranium, heliotrope, and jasmine--but this stage is brief and quickly gives way to the dry tonka/cedar base. Additionally, the original Fougere Royale was probably of EdC concentration and may have contained potentially sickening (or lethal) doses of natural coumarin.

Basenotes Institution

I tested this a couple days ago, when Basenotes was down, and didn't get to post my impressions...but I loved it. I will wear it again soon and post my comments then.

It felt very luxurious and serious, if that makes sense. A 'man's man' sort of fragrance. I usually shy away from these sort of scents (Havana, Azzaro Pour Homme) but this one has just a little something extra that I like. If I had to compare it to any scent at all, it would be Rive Gauche Pour Homme, of course with the anise removed.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Resurrecting the thread, as I happened across TS's blog.

quote:
    I would just like to say that the current keepers of the Houbigant brand should die of shame for calling that new thing they’re selling Fougère Royale. Is this a prank?
    http://honeyandthunder.com/2011/05/0...ookofperfumes/

Anybody wants to comment? I haven't smelled either (old or new).

cacio

I don't know the old one but the reissue is a very good fragrance, it's worth owning.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Resurrecting the thread, as I happened across TS's blog.

quote:
    I would just like to say that the current keepers of the Houbigant brand should die of shame for calling that new thing they’re selling Fougère Royale. Is this a prank?
    http://honeyandthunder.com/2011/05/0...ookofperfumes/

Anybody wants to comment? I haven't smelled either (old or new).

cacio
    I trekked up to Nieman Marcus in SF last winter to buy a bottle. I love coumarin and the coumarin in this one is loud and clear. I was hooked on first sniff but except for the coumarin base, the new is different in construction from the samples of old I have (one small bottle that I think is from the 30's, one from the 40's and one from the 60's - the "Pour Homme H" stuff) but in fact, all these are different from each other as well and no one can say quite why, different formulation, degradation over time, etc. Still actively searching for more examples to compare but I suspect there is no way to really know what the true old FR really smells like. My take on the new:

The old samples are all more aromatic than the new version, which is less identifiable as a classic fougere and to this nose, a bit more like a sweet fougere/oriental. I know, sounds unlikely but the the citrus and what I believe is vanilla make it sweeter than the old versions. Definitely not a classic or aromatic fougere.

As for the name: Though I can smell a connection between the old and the new release, I am perplexed by the the decision at Houbigant to fall back on the old name. Sure, we crazy afficianados will gladly buy something called "Fougere Royale" but as a wider mass market fragrance, I don't believe it will ever fly. From a true niche house, I would understand the marketing strategy, but Houbigant, though no longer an independent company, is definitely not niche.

I suspect this fragrance is not selling well and may disappear over time. (I have four bottles just in case).
    Griff

Thanks - so your take is that it is good, though different from older versions.

TS doesn't explain her statement any further, and unfortunately, she also says that FR will not be included in the upcoming book.
    (They will include 3 other perfumes, reconstructed at the Osmotheque)
    cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Thanks - so your take is that it is good, though different from older versions.

TS doesn't explain her statement any further, and unfortunately, she also says that FR will not be included in the upcoming book.
    (They will include 3 other perfumes, reconstructed at the Osmotheque)
    cacio
    Yes, I believe it is worthy of any wardrobe (and it seems to be getting more affordable with time. I bought a bottle online, new, sealed, for $120). Great for evening or formal wear but would pass in the office too. Not necessarily a casual or "sport" scent.
    Last edited by Griff; 19th June 2011 at 05:07 PM.
    Griff

Oof! This scent is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Jaime & Ody,
    Having had the opportunity to try both the regular and parfum versions of the new version Fougere Royale... I'm sad to report that I was disappointed. In my opinion, neither is anything like the vintage juice I have, nor are either close to the classic or Victorian-style fougeres currently available. The new versions are a pleasant but rather restrained green sort of scent. I wore each on different days, and waited patiently for something marvelous to develop. For me, the "marvelous" never happened. I love that retro vibe of the traditional fougeres (lavender - coumarin - moss) and I didn't get anything close here.
    odysseusm

Keep the new version 20 years in your dress room, and it will be the same fantastic vintage Fougere
    Joke.
    I agree with our statement partially - it's very good scent, they should name it Fougere Royal 2 or whatever, but not the original name.
    Anyway, worth it's price tag IMO

This is a very nice scent. Smooth as silk and great for the office, even on another cold day. When I first put it on, I thought "this smells like Spring". Very mature yet approachable scent. I don't own anything like it.