Code of Conduct

Default MPG's Santal Noble or Creed's Santal Imperial?

Which one and why?

Default Re: MPG's Santal Noble or Creed's Santal Imperial?

Santal Noble.
    Santal Imperial, while a very high quality scent, with great clarity and simplicity, simply cannot compare to a work of Santal Noble's stature. A reiewer referred to Santal Noble, as "One of perfumery's towering masterpieces"....I don't disagree.

Both great and have both but Santal Noble has better longevity on my skin.

Santal Noble hands down. Santal Imperial is just an OK sandlewood fragrance, nothing memorable to be honest, nothing bad either. The creed's is not very sandlewoody either, a lot of powdery vanilla/amber in there, and not a great one at that either.
    Last edited by Ekove; 5th September 2010 at 02:59 AM.

Hi Neal - I literally just went through this decision. In general I love and own a variety of Creed frags. I really wanted to wind up with Santal Imperial - it smells good, and if I am not mistaken is actually less expensive than other Creeds (at least according to the Creed Boutique website). My problem with it was twofold. First of all, while it smells good, it just doesn't have that much of a sandalwood scent. I was getting more of the ambergris. Secondly, the longevity is really just terrible. Usually that doesn't matter to me, as I often reapply, but this was just silly.

I really tested the MpG Santal Noble. It is definitely a "great one", but felt a bit "dirty" to me. Long story short - I just purchased Profumum Santalum AND Diptyque Tam Dao (couldn't make up my mind). The Profumum is really sandalwoody and creamier than the MpG, and I really just love it. I know you did not indicate you were considering these, but I think you should.

If your decision is absolutely between the two you mentioned, I would go with the MpG (the "dirtiness" notwithstanding).

I guess I'm in the minority, but I prefer Santal Imperial. Santal Noble is too heavy and "brown" for me. Santal Imperial has a surprisingly uplifting ethereal feeling to it and nothing smells like it. It's much more than just a lazy sandalwood scent by the numbers. Santal Imperial walks on air.

If Indie Guy pipes up for Santal Imperial I'll have to give it another shot, but I was going to say Santal Noble right away when I saw the subject line. Longevity, projection, beauty. All those joys point to Santal Noble for me.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Santal Imperial is beautiful and if it lasted on my skin for more than 30 minutes it would be a keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    Santal Noble hands down. Santal Imperial is just an OK sandlewood fragrance, nothing memorable to be honest, nothing bad either. The creed's is not very sandlewoody either, a lot of powdery vanilla/amber in there, and not a great one at that either.
    I agree. Santal Noble is sublime, particularly the vintage version.
    If I could invest in a few bottles right now, I wouldn't think twice.

Sur la Plage

Santal Noble. Period.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by funraiser18 View Post
    Hi Neal - I literally just went through this decision. Long story short - I just purchased Profumum Santalum AND Diptyque Tam Dao (couldn't make up my mind). The Profumum is really sandalwoody and creamier than the MpG, and I really just love it. I know you did not indicate you were considering these, but I think you should.

If your decision is absolutely between the two you mentioned, I would go with the MpG (the "dirtiness" notwithstanding).

Is Tam Dao a true sandlewood or is it more of a cedar?

I find Tam Dao very similar to Santal Imperial.

Oh I own both SI and SN, the former is more tonka ambergris going but does last on my skin for a good four hours or more. SN is drier and more woody. I can't decided, buy both!
    DONNA

Santal Noble....Either formulation. This is the gold standard by which I measure all other's.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Santal Imperial.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Is Tam Dao a true sandlewood or is it more of a cedar?
    I'd say surely more of a sandalwood - but in response to your other sandalwood thread - I like it, but wouldn't classify it necessarily as "dignified."

How to know which version of santal noble is vintage? is it the 90ml/100ml thing?

90ml bottle is vintage. In many Amazon stores they have messed up with the picture of the bottle and the size, so it can be deceptive what is vintage.

Anyway, this is the new bottle: http://www.fragrantica.com/images/perfume/nd.3798.jpg
    And the old one: http://www.fragrantica.com/images/perfume/nd.5600.jpg

Generally vintage stuff seems more concentrated and has more depth, but when it comes to Santal Noble, difference is not that big; both versions are fantastic.

Santal Imperial by Creed is so amazing....

Has anyone ever tried wearing around 3-4sprays of Santal Imperial on the chest with 1spray of Jardin d'Amalfi behind each ear?

Wow... something phenomenal and special

Quote Originally Posted by FreshSmell View Post

Has anyone ever tried wearing around 3-4sprays of Santal Imperial on the chest with 1spray of Jardin d'Amalfi behind each ear?

Thanks for that, I needed a smile
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Santal Noble by far. Better composed.

Santal Noble is the best sandalwood among that family and overall, one of the best fragrances ever made. That other thing is Creed. I mean...
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | NICHE & VTG | Shiseido Basala, Boadicea Invigorating, SMN Tabacco Toscano, Signoricci, YSL M7 (AS), Gucci Envy for Men (AS), Ungaro II...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

I have been trying to get my nose on Santal Noble for what seems like forever. On multiple occasions I've included Santal Noble in my sample pack from Aedes New York only to have it replaced with an alternative fragrance because they are out of stock. One of these days I hope to come across a screaming deal so I can just buy it blind and get it over with as this fragrance sounds amazing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshSmell View Post

Do we really need to bump a four year old thread to enlighten us with this?