Code of Conduct

Default git 4oz bottle or 17oz flacon?

I have been thinking if i should buy a 4oz flask or a 17 oz flacon of green irish tweed. I have heard of the horrors of getting a flacon that the strength, the development and quality suffer getting a flacon but git is the only frag i consider being my signature scent. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Blog Entries

Default Re: git 4oz bottle or 17oz flacon?

What is your current rate of consumption? How many fluid ounces (or mL) have you gone through in what amount of time?

I'm not prejudiced against flacons on GIT, because I think it's fairly resistant to oxidation. I have a roll-on bottle that's not very tight, and it still smells every bit as beautiful as it did originally, despite a lot of evaporation and exposure to air. But if the flacon would be sitting around for 10 or 20 years before you finished it, I might reconsider. Cooled and refrigerated, dispensing every once in a while into an atomizer, then no problem. Sitting on your shelf for 20 years - I'm not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    What is your current rate of consumption? How many fluid ounces (or mL) have you gone through in what amount of time?

I'm not prejudiced against flacons on GIT, because I think it's fairly resistant to oxidation. I have a roll-on bottle that's not very tight, and it still smells every bit as beautiful as it did originally, despite a lot of evaporation and exposure to air. But if the flacon would be sitting around for 10 or 20 years before you finished it, I might reconsider. Cooled and refrigerated, dispensing every once in a while into an atomizer, then no problem. Sitting on your shelf for 20 years - I'm not so sure.
    i only have a decant but i could see myself wearing this a lot, i would like the bottle to last me a while, i do not know how long exactly. i am thinking of just getting a 4 oz since i do not blast through fragrance but then again a flacon would be interesting.

Blog Entries

^ Gotcha! I would suggest this. The flacon is interesting, but you probably won't use it all. If it was a more rare scent, you might do a bunch of splits, or keep a flacon (especially such a big one) more as an investment. On the other hand, what you could do with a big flacon of GIT like that would be to give away lots of samples and decants to friends and acquaintances - basically spread the love of Creed. I'm thinking about doing that with one of my scents. Basically spread the joy a little. That would be a fun way to both admire your flacon and get some good use out of it as well. With the flacon, you can be carefree with your scent, and spread the joy a bit. But if that's not your style, and you don't intend to split it or save it, then maybe the 4 ounce would be fine. That's a fair amount of fragrance.

If you buy a flacon you risk there being no top notes due to leakage. Read: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/258...-vs.-GIT-flask

Blog Entries

Personally, i'd got with the 4oz. 17 fl oz seems to be absolute overkill unless you wear 3-4 sprays daily for a few years. a 4oz bottle can last a pretty long time, but as mentioned you could share a flacon or split it...17 fl oz of any fragrance is a TON haha

Stick with the flask, if it's not enough to last you at least a couple of years, you can always buy more later.

lol its funny that i see this thread right after i go check out the reviews for green irish tweed in the basenotes directory and see u wrote:

"Nice, versatile, elegant, and nice smell. I would not pay the price for it though and it's more overrated than anything. Smoother than cool water.
    01 April 2010"

lol i guess things change? haha

Quote Originally Posted by hypr View Post
    If you buy a flacon you risk there being no top notes due to leakage. Read: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/258...-vs.-GIT-flask
    exactly that is what i was talking about, good move in posting it here you are sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    lol its funny that i see this thread right after i go check out the reviews for green irish tweed in the basenotes directory and see u wrote:

"Nice, versatile, elegant, and nice smell. I would not pay the price for it though and it's more overrated than anything. Smoother than cool water.
    01 April 2010"

lol i guess things change? haha
    Yes i will eat my words, it is just a great versatile scent, was on the fence about it a while but it grew on me. I humbly bow to oliver for his genius in making a fragrance so exquisite for all year and all purpose use. I was a boy then and now i am a man and see the light. Thank you creed, this is one of the greatest frags of all time, next to vintage tabarome and bois du portugal.

I would definitely go with the 4oz. bottle. You just seem to lose so much with the splash regardless of the size.

I would agree with the 4oz. purchase unless you are up to splitting the bottle up and selling a few ounces to others....If you are not inclined to do that, I think the 4oz would last you plenty long

David- a horror story for you.

I scored a partial flacon of Tabarome. Filled an atomizer. As I used it, I would refill the 1.7 oz atomizer. I swear a fair amount of the Tab evaporated from the flacon no matter how tightly I tried to seal it with the glass stopper/leather thing. I don't know how much I lost to the "angels" but it was too much.

I noted too on last trip to Nieman to see my Creed rep that she had an unsold flacon of Cypres Musc they would discount due to some evaporation. So even at the professionally packaged store level, there can be some loss.

I say stick with the nicely sealed 4oz bottle.

I'm sure many, many people in here have had flacons without this problem, but my experience is now to avoid them. Plus, with a top seller like GIT, I don't see any near term danger of them discontinuing it enough to warrant stockpiling it. There is certainly the price per ounce consideration, but if you have several scents (and I know you do), you won't wear it fast enough.

Even if GIT was the only scent you wore, it would take many years to go through 17 oz of the stuff...

Go with the 4.0.

PS: Doesn't Creed also sell the 8.4 oz flacons? Maybe that could be a compromise?

There are some creeds (like one of my favorites Selection Verte) which large flacons make more sense, as they require 25 sprays+ per application to project and last.
    ...and given how large your wardrobe will likely become, I'd go with the 4.0........as GIT is fairly powerful needing only around 10 sprays to make a very pronounced statement to those around you that day.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I would definitely go with the 4oz. bottle. You just seem to lose so much with the splash regardless of the size.

It seems so, i will stick with the 4.0 at least it wont evap or leak
    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    David- a horror story for you.

I scored a partial flacon of Tabarome. Filled an atomizer. As I used it, I would refill the 1.7 oz atomizer. I swear a fair amount of the Tab evaporated from the flacon no matter how tightly I tried to seal it with the glass stopper/leather thing. I don't know how much I lost to the "angels" but it was too much.

I noted too on last trip to Nieman to see my Creed rep that she had an unsold flacon of Cypres Musc they would discount due to some evaporation. So even at the professionally packaged store level, there can be some loss.

I say stick with the nicely sealed 4oz bottle.

I'm sure many, many people in here have had flacons without this problem, but my experience is now to avoid them. Plus, with a top seller like GIT, I don't see any near term danger of them discontinuing it enough to warrant stockpiling it. There is certainly the price per ounce consideration, but if you have several scents (and I know you do), you won't wear it fast enough.
    That is sad about the tabarome situation, the thought of it is horrible, i will stick to the bottle , good thing is that the new flacones of royal exclusives they come with a spray head so you do not have to decant.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Even if GIT was the only scent you wore, it would take many years to go through 17 oz of the stuff...

Go with the 4.0.

PS: Doesn't Creed also sell the 8.4 oz flacons? Maybe that could be a compromise?
    Yea but i was thinking of getting the better value but i think i will stick with the small bottle.

I would go with the 4oz.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    There are some creeds (like one of my favorites Selection Verte) which large flacons make more sense, as they require 25 sprays+ per application to project and last.
    ...and given how large your wardrobe will likely become, I'd go with the 4.0........as GIT is fairly powerful needing only around 10 sprays to make a very pronounced statement to those around you that day.
    You must have VERY different skin chemistry to me and I must be very lucky as a srapy of Selection Verte to my wrist is powerful stuff and can easily last 8 hours. 25 sprays is insane.