Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Ice*Men: The Unambitious Child

Alright so i've posted two threads now that could be considered reviews, and yeah they're basically my reviews of a fragrance, but consider them more discussion starters than anything else. I give my opinion in hopes of hearing other opinions that aren't the few actual reviews i've read numerous times already

On to Ice*Men!

This fragrance has truely fallen from grace for me. I got it blind from TJ Maxx for $20, 1.7oz, a great deal really. First time i wore it i got the typical Mugler-headache i get from all of his fragrance the first time. After awhile i started to enjoy it alot, and eventually i loved it...but the more i try new fragrance and become more experience, the more i realize that Ice*Men is actually mediocre than anything

So what's it smell like to me anyways? The opening is a menthol-green-coffee smell, and this lasts about 10 minutes. Nutmeg comes up and takes over, quickly followed by patchouli, and the two mingle to form a dirty-yet-clean aroma, that isn't half bad. After a few hours it's just patchouli, but i occasionally get a hint of vanilla.

Now why the title of "ambitious child"? A*Men set the bar...a few places to the left and inside of Willy Wonka's factory. Simply, it was totally unique, and remains very unique. Ice*Men is a flanker of A*Men, and yes it does have that Mugler patchouli found in most of his fragrances, however it's a poor attempt at a summer version of A*Men (but better than the failure known as Sunessence). Ice*Men takes everything good about A*Men and removes it, replaces it with nutmeg, and scrambles to recover whatever it can of the patchouli. It's a mess really.

This is not to say its a terrible fragrance however. It is a semi-spicey woody fragrance, with some creamy patchouli...i do know i wouldn't care less for it if it wasn't by Thierry Mugler. Take the name off and the really cool bottle and you've got another generic woody fragrance, cept this one's a hair or two better than all the others thanks to the patchouli.

I will admit the name does fit though. It's a cool smelling fragrance, but it actually warms up once the nutmeg pops up. MeltingIce*Men would be a more appropriate name, but i don't think anyone would buy it

Verdict: Menthol, green coffee, nutmeg, and creamy patchouli. The bottle is really cool... but take out "Thierry Mugler" in the name and it's just another woody fragrance. Its a 5/10 really, it's nothing special at all, hence why it's most likely discontinued. Looks nice in a collection though

Default Re: Ice*Men: The Unambitious Child

I understand your review, but speaking of Mugler's fragrances "unambitious child" is more referring to B*Men (IMHO).

edit: typing

It gave you a headache, then you loved it, now you think it's mediocre.

Could it be you just got tired of it? As anyone would who wears a scent too often?

Compared to other light watery scents meant for summer, Ice*Men stands out very well, having excellent longevity as well.

I think that if it has a problem, it is that it doesn't stand out so well when initially tested on a bit of paper or on a wrist, in comparison to how works in the actual wearing.

I find A*men overpowering for daytime and for summer time use. I much prefer B*men and Ice*Men for those respective usages.
    Regards,
    Renato

"It gave you a headache, then you loved it, now you think it's mediocre. Could it be you just got tired of it? As anyone would who wears a scent too often?"

Yeah, just leave it for a bit and you'll be all over it again. I loved it and grew tired of it, but still appreciate it from time to time. For the record- Sunessence if FABOO! No failure there.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

fountain

imo, ice*men is a very well balanced charming scent with loads of character, much better, in fact, than a*men whose orchestra of accords has a tendency to turn a quiet concerto into an opera in three acts with a camp cast of thousands.
    Last edited by fountain; 9th September 2010 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    Yeah, just leave it for a bit and you'll be all over it again. I loved it and grew tired of it, but still appreciate it from time to time. For the record- Sunessence if FABOO! No failure there.
    Consider yourself lucky. Down here in Australia, we only get regular A*men - no Sunessence, no Pure Malt. Very strange.
    Renato

I have a sample and tell myself that I'll wear it to work, but haven't done so yet. I guess a couple things are going on here. First of all, it's a flanker of A*Men, and I don't really care for that one anyway. Also, I keep thinking about the reviewers that say it smells like Vicks or Ben Gay, making me think that everyone will think that I either have a sore throat or am nursing a joint injury.

There is a decidedly "therapeutic" feel going on when it is fresh out of the bottle. However, it dries down (on me) to more of an electric patchouli. It would be wrong to say that the sole experience is just like that of wearing a menthol and eucalyptus balm, but I can understand where some would get that idea. However, most naysayers can unfairly compare scents to a commonplace, unfashionable, item that shares a note or two, i.e., cleaning products, medicines, foods, paints, etc...

It seems that people are often too quick to label and judge without experiencing the full range of subtleties and concurrent complexities of a fragrance. Why can't Ice*Men be compared to a journey through a primeval, Springtime forest of budding Camphor trees where bushy herbs release wafts of fragrance as the morning sun gently turns the early dew to steam and melts away the chilly frost? Because all we know is sports cream- that's why.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

I actually like it.

To my nose, Ice*Men smells old and boring. At least we have something to talk about with other Angels (men & women) but with Ice*Men it's a big "duh" for me. IMO, Ben Gay has more flavor than "A*men pure patchouli"

fountain

Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post

Why can't Ice*Men be compared to a journey through a primeval, Springtime forest of budding Camphor trees where bushy herbs release wafts of fragrance as the morning sun gently turns the early dew to steam and melts away the chilly frost? Because all we know is sports cream- that's why.
    brilliant observation, argogos

i like ice men a lot, i feel it takes the best from amen and pure coffee and adds them together without all the other riff raff...on me its a mild coffee/patchouli skin scent, and I find it way better than amen, bmen, pure coffee, and pure malt, but only imo
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron