Code of Conduct

Default Very thought provoking article

http://www.theage.com.au/news/fashio...339986871.html

this article is from 2006, but I found it fascinating. It's too long to summarize (three pages), but after reading it i've made a decision: I will no longer hold back when reviewing commercial crap. i've always treated these scents with 'light fingers' because they are popular and I didn't want to offend. But in this article it talks about how companies approach the perfume houses and say 'give me a little of this and a little that at the cheapest possible price.' No care for artistic aspects whatsoever.

But i will now become more artistic with my reviews :-)
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Default Re: Very thought provoking article

Umm the article seems to be more about females working in that profession. Your starting a discussion over one line from that article?

I don't want to sound mean, but it has always been this one, "give me this and that at the cheapest possible price". In fragrance industry or not, remember, someone out there is constantly trying to deceive you or trick you to buy something not worth it's price. And you have limited time and resources to try every perfume out there. Words aren't going to kill anybody. I come from an art background, and there constructive criticism is highly required and appreciated. While most other communities out there are always a little nicer in their criticism. Bottom line, be honest, type of what you really think and think it through, if you're giving a good fragrance a rating of 9, what are you going to give a really good fragrance? what about an exceptionally good fragrance? and what about the best fragrances you ever smelled?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

'Harris says women are no longer choosing a classic Chanel or Christian Dior fragrance in their 20s and sticking with it for life. "I strongly believe you should have a wardrobe of fragrances, just like you have a wardrobe of clothes. If you wear just one fragrance, you'll stop being able to smell it. It would be like wearing the same outfit every day. And that would be very sad".'

True for men also in my opinion.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Un profumo affettuoso

Dear BayKat,

interesting article! Although most of it wasn't new to me, it is a good summary of facts. Thanks for posting it!
    Of course you should never hold back your opinion/emotion when reviewing what is "commercial crap" to you.
    Since the perception of fragrances is highly individual, you'll always get the entire spectrum of reactions - some people might adore what you consider "crap" - and vice versa ... - but that's common knowledge, too. I personally always speak my mind and vent my opinions - no matter how harsh they should be. Btw - YOUR reviews are getting better and better, combining very personal statements with clever and witty observations and comparisons to other houses/fragrances... - I really enjoy them.
    Thus I'm looking forward to reading even more "artistic" reviews from you.
    Yours J

Interesting article and thanks for posting.

I think it's important to remember that a higher price for a fragrance does not always equal more natural ingredients or even better-quality synthetics. I'm 100% certain there are many high-end fragrances that contain only synthetics or contain natural ingredients that get used in less expensive fragrances, too. Packaging and perceived brand value also play a role in determing the cost of a fragrance.

For example, the notes of Clive Christian Pure Parfum for Men are common enough to many perfumes: Top notes of bergamot, lime, Sicilian mandarin, cardamom, nutmeg, and thyme; Heart notes of lily of the valley, rose, jasmine, ylang ylang, and heliotrope.
    Base notes of cedarwood, sandalwood, vetiver, ambery woods, and vanilla. (Notes according to Nieman Marcus.)

Surely Clive Christian's existing reputation as a luxury interior designer, as well as the perfume's little handmade crystal bottle adorned with a sparkling brilliant-cut white diamond, have something to do with the $2,300+ price tag.

Thank you for sharing!

I didn't like :
    the gross generalizations of some of the comments:
    "Men work with their head - they tend to be really good at the science part - but women work much more with their heart. They go through so many more phases hormonally and emotionally."

Life has taught me that not all men and not all women are like that, not even in a general way.

and very clever of her to pitch in her scent while addressing her "heightened sense of smell during pregnancy", i'm sure many women will for for that.

found funny:
    "a mix of J'Adore, Pleasures and some fig, at the lowest possible price''.
    and saying that the "sense of smell is the only sense we don't educate".

i thought common sense was the one we don't educate.

and liked very much:
    "It's like a ribbon going through the past, the present and the future. It's like a good friend talking to me,"
    "I strongly believe you should have a wardrobe of fragrances, just like you have a wardrobe of clothes."

and rolled eyes at:
    "She wanted it to be a juxtaposition of opposites, to have the unexpected meet the familiar, a mixture of tradition and innovation,"

cheers

Thanks for all the well stated comments, everyone! it's interesting for me to read your interpretations and remarks
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org