Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default I ADMIT IT!! I'M A BOTTOM FEEDER!!..........I guess I have a "poor" nose, I like a lot of the ....

cheaper scents.

Also, being new I'm still purchasing all the "low-end" frags and working my way up.

I'm also on the lookout for them on the local craigslist.

I guess I'm proud of hunting down bargains and cheap frags.

I've really taken a liking to bargain bin scents like English Leather Lime and English Leather Wind Drift.

This follows the tradition I have with beer and liquor, I love Keystone, Pabst Blue Ribbon and Trader Joe's six packs of Simpler Times Lager......yum!

Default Re: I ADMIT IT!! I'M A BOTTOM FEEDER!!..........I guess I have a "poor" nose, I like a lot of the .

Good for you! Sometimes it's easy to overlook the cheap scents when building a wardrobe. I know that a lot of people still prefer them, since they smell so familar. I remember a conversation at work recently when a girl was saying how she likes the smell of
    Old Spice.

Default Re: I ADMIT IT!! I'M A BOTTOM FEEDER!!..........I guess I have a "poor" nose, I like a lot of the .

i have an ad on craigslist looking to trade colognes but only a few people responded. if you like the bargain stuff, go to tj maxx. get azzaro. thats a great one that will get you interested in higher end stuff. i have a ton of cologne, private message me if you want. but deffinatly check out azzaro!

AromiErotici

Nothing wrong whatsoever with liking what you like.....regardless of whether it's a discounted frag or expensive niche. The longer you stay in the hobby, there's a good chance your tastes will change some......but your penchant for what you like now will remain to a degree.

Blog Entries

^ Absolutely! Basenotes needs more people who love and appreciate the cheapies, the low-end oldies, and the lesser designers, to say nothing of mainstream stuff. In fact, I think that's one of the most valid criticisms of BN which pops up elsewhere. There is an enormous amount of knowledge here, but frankly, we could stand to be more diverse, fragrance-acceptance-wise.

PS - PBR!

I'm definitely a "cheapie lover" - some niche, more expensive items just smell... not desirable.

i love pabst blue ribbon and cheap frags.....i have some very expensive frags but i will tell you that i like old spice, english leather musk, pinaud, etc.....look back on Jovan Andron(i now own a bottle that cost me), it is still one of the best!!

You dont have a poor nose my friend
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

You're in good company, really. Some of my all time favorites belong in this 'cheapie' category. Just to name a few:-

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur
    Geoffery Beene Grey Flannel & Bowling Green
    Azzaro pour Homme
    Eau de Rochas Homme

I put 4711 on my top 10 masterpieces list.

....and there is not a damn thing wrong with enjoying the Pabst.

Cheap frags, designer frags, niche, whatever, "If it smells good, wear it!"

I'm not sure what you mean by cheap scents, because there are three types.
    The first are cheap scents that were made to be sold as cheap scents e.g. Addidas ones and a huge number of other scents you've never heard of. Apart from a few notable exceptions, most of these you'll most probably wind up wishing you hadn't bought.

The second type are proper well thought out designer scents that didn't sell well, or have been around for a long time and no longer sell well, and have suffered the fate of ultra discounting. This group is full of gems and definitely worth spending time seeking out.

The third type come from when shops close down. I've scavanged more than have my niche scents purchases from such occasions, having paid A$20 or less for many of them.

Happiness is a bargain scent you think is great.
    Regards,
    Renato

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    ...Happiness is a bargain scent you think is great.
    Very, very wise words indeed.

Many of my all-time favourites are cheapies.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Azzaro, Rive Gauche, and Pierre Cardin are some of my favorite scents. I draw the line at PBR, though.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

my bottom limit are designer frags, either testers, the really cheap ones like rive gauche, the older 80's stuff, etc... i've tried drugstore stuff although not the EL you mention and i wasn't pleased with the quality. i'm not that picky either but they just never worked for me.

i'm sure some people will say some designer frags smell cheap but i've never actually smelled one that i got this impression from. so as long as it's designer i assume i'll find the quality passable.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Happiness is a bargain scent you think is great.
    So true! Happiness is also scent you think is great, bought at a bargain. Some of my faves were purchased at a fraction of retail value because someone else didn't like them.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Its all about enjoying what you wear. I firmly respect "...bargains and cheap frags". What I don't respect is pricey scents that do not deliver.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I don't know about bottom feeder, but dodgy taste in fragrances, definately. I go and sniff loads of them and end up getting the one that just stands out the most. Stands out includes Joop! Homme and A*Men. Still a really big fan of Gucci Envy for Men which has been about for 12 years (?). Think novice nose covers it, if it has coumarin in it I'm generally happy!

Main thing I look forward to is appreciating fragrances more whatever the initial price or marketing kudos.