Code of Conduct

Post Starting out - need some suggestions please :)

Hey Guys.

Im 18, and just starting out in the fragrance department!

Im wanting to buy 3-4 fragrances for now, so that they can cover all occasions acceptably. (until I can afford more)

I need 2 daytime fragrances, and two evening wear (bar/club) fragrances

Heres a short list of fragrances that could potentially suit me? :

Gucci ENVY
    Burberry London
    YSL La Nuit De L'Homme
    Body Kouros
    ZIRH CORDUROY
    Dunhill Pursuit
    M7
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Opium pour homme
    Guerlain Habit Rouge
    Michael Kors
    Aramis Tuscany for Men
    Kenzo Pour Homme
    L'Eau par Kenzo
    Drakkar noir

If you could help me narrow my choice down, or suggesting others that might be suitable (with reasons).

What I want in a fragrance mostly is longevity, and something the ladies will love.

If recommendations can take into account that autumn(fall) is just around the corner, and the fact that I am only 18 so nothing too strong/mature.

Default Re: Starting out - need some suggestions please :)

I take it that you want to focus on fall/winter for now, then maybe pick up some extra summer frags later on. If that's the case, then I think Zirh Corduroy is a good starter frag, since it's great for fall and pretty cheap. I think Rochas Man is the best gourmand chocolate, so I'd put that in the mix as well. Others to fill out your list may include Armani Code, YSL L'Homme, and
    Burberry London.

That's a good list to begin choosing from; my favorites are Envy, La Nuit, M7, and Habit Rouge.
    I would add Fahrenheit, Chanel Bleu, and Marc Jacobs BANG to your list of things to consider as well.

Ultimately, though, you're going to be the only one who can decide which fragrances are right for you. For the price of a smallish bottle of any of the frags in your list, you can buy a dozen or so samples from somewhere like The Perfumed Court or The Posh Peasant - which you can then test yourself and see which ones you want to buy whole bottles of. I think it would be a worthwhile investment instead of making blind purchases based on recommendations you read online. (I say this as someone who made several blind purchases based on online recommendations, and wish now I had gone the sample route instead.)

Either way, good luck and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    I take it that you want to focus on fall/winter for now, then maybe pick up some extra summer frags later on. If that's the case, then I think Zirh Corduroy is a good starter frag, since it's great for fall and pretty cheap. I think Rochas Man is the best gourmand chocolate, so I'd put that in the mix as well. Others to fill out your list may include Armani Code, YSL L'Homme, and
    Burberry London.
    Yeah, Im wanting to get a few for fall/winter for now, and then in a few months time I can get a few more spring/summer ones.

Of which would be casual/daytime wear?

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesD View Post
    That's a good list to begin choosing from; my favorites are Envy, La Nuit, M7, and Habit Rouge.
    I would add Fahrenheit, Chanel Bleu, and Marc Jacobs BANG to your list of things to consider as well.

Ultimately, though, you're going to be the only one who can decide which fragrances are right for you. For the price of a smallish bottle of any of the frags in your list, you can buy a dozen or so samples from somewhere like The Perfumed Court or The Posh Peasant - which you can then test yourself and see which ones you want to buy whole bottles of. I think it would be a worthwhile investment instead of making blind purchases based on recommendations you read online. (I say this as someone who made several blind purchases based on online recommendations, and wish now I had gone the sample route instead.)

Either way, good luck and have fun!
    Hmm, okay - i'll look into buying a few samples from TPC.

Thanks both of you so far

Ok.

Went into a shop and tried Paco Rabanne 1million, Fahrenheit, Polo Blue, Ferarri Black, CK Eternity, Davidoff Cool Water, YSL L'homme, Fuel for Life, Lacoste Essential and Chanal Bleu.. and by that time i'd run out of space to try any more

I've got to say, I loved Fahrenheit.

I've also found a guy who will do a load of samples for me in the UK, so hopefully I can get some more off him.

Glad the suggestions worked out! I have to say that I love Fahrenheit too - it's a well-deserved modern classic.

Keep us posted about your progress!

Yeah, and thanks again

Slight change of tack (again), and think that I've narrowed down my list to these - of which I will order samples for each.

Daytime Wear:
    YSL L'homme
    D&G Pour Homme
    Rochas Man

Evening Wear:
    Chanel Allure
    JPG Le Male
    Versace The Dreamer
    Burberry London
    CD Fahrenheit
    YSL La Nuit

Can't afford to buy them all though - so still need to trim 3-4 off.

Post Thanks / Like

ysl (both) and rochas man have similar dry down (sort of) atleast on me

Quote Originally Posted by archelon View Post
    ysl (both) and rochas man have similar dry down (sort of) atleast on me
    Ahh alright, thanks.

So you suggesting I only keep one of the three you mentioned? Or none at all?

Post Thanks / Like

i have both la nuit and rochas man but I haven't given them a good wearing. bought them over this summer so I'm waiting for winter to give them both a wear. but its up to you. both la nuit and rochas man are night time scents that ladies seems to love. up to you, they arent exactly the same but they give off similar vibes. hope that helps. the L'homee ysl is nice day wear as opposed the la nuit which is more night and cooler weather type frag.