Code of Conduct

Default Is Brown as Versatile as Black? etc.

A friend insisted that brown is the new black and was just as versatile. Is this a totally new trend or an idea that comes and goes in fashion.

I always thought that brown could only be worn by people with dark eyes and hair. I have pale skin and light blue eyes, could I rock a brown jacket or shirt?

I love the color brown for fall. I will start to cautiously play around with brown color clothing. Any advice or warnings for a fashion noob like me?

Do you think that brown is as versatile as black?

Default Re: Is Brown as Versatile as Black? etc.

Hi Xephon23,

I wish that catchphrase would just die! ARGH! lol! Fashion is about style, trends and fads essentially.

Every year 'colour189' is the new black. Then black is always back but the irony is that 'black' was never out and is always in, and nothing is really ever black if it isn't black. (I love stating the most obvious ) So just ignore people who like to insist on anything when it comes to what you feel you are comfortable wearing.

It's just what someone decides. A new Fall collection is launched with all beige-ish brown dresses and suits along with matching accessories...then Fashion house #6 has a similar colour scheme and it catches on.

Every colour has a shade or tint that can be worn by anyone. Black is not a colour so it is the staple and usually the safest of shades to wear, along with greys and navy blues.

Honestly, the colour never matters so long as you like it and when you hold it up to your skin, you still look healthy. If you are not familiar with how patterns work, stick to basic block colours or a fine vertical pin-stripes...Stay simple if you aren't sure. It always looks much more sophisticated anyhow.

It's best to make your own choice as to what's in and out I am still looking for a Cerulian Blue wool ruffled flare coat...sigh.

Peace!
    " Nothing can be known - not even this..." - Carneades

Generally speaking, brown is more casual and less versatile than black.

Yes. I find that brown takes a bit more thought to combine and wear than black, although that is in part because I'm moving out of a practically all-black wardrobe.

That shouldn't deter you, though. Just give it some thought, and try different shades, textures and accents. Anyone can wear brown, you just have to figure out how to make it work for you.

Xephon,

Apologies on my rant/tangent answer. I overthink things and my answers are often convoluted from being over-analytical. I should just point and nod

After I answered and read tott's answer, I felt like 'hey, now there's a good answer. Why couldn't I just say that!!!?' LOL. I tend to get carried away when talking about colour and fashion.

Have a great day

Quote Originally Posted by miss-little-miss View Post
    Xephon,

Apologies on my rant/tangent answer. I overthink things and my answers are often convoluted from being over-analytical. I should just point and nod

After I answered and read tott's answer, I felt like 'hey, now there's a good answer. Why couldn't I just say that!!!?' LOL. I tend to get carried away when talking about colour and fashion.

Have a great day
    Hi Miss,

No need to apologize. I enjoyed your response and can sympathise with how tiresome the "____ is the new black" meme is.

I will keep my eyes out for a Cerulian Blue wool ruffled flare coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpinett View Post
    Yes. I find that brown takes a bit more thought to combine and wear than black, although that is in part because I'm moving out of a practically all-black wardrobe.

That shouldn't deter you, though. Just give it some thought, and try different shades, textures and accents. Anyone can wear brown, you just have to figure out how to make it work for you.
    Pimpinett,

I am also venturing out from a mostly black wardrobe. I am quite overwhelmed at the moment and only buying off the racks. I dont know if I can do this on my own lol.

Heya Xephon,

You're a sweetie! No one has ever offered such a thing! Cerulian blue in that style...it's a tough one! lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Xephon23 View Post
    Pimpinett,

I am also venturing out from a mostly black wardrobe. I am quite overwhelmed at the moment and only buying off the racks. I dont know if I can do this on my own lol.
    It's difficult, but I must say that I'm enjoying myself immensely. I have forbidden myself to buy black clothes, unless I find something it would be an absolute crime not to buy (that would entail vintage, perfect fit, condition, great price and style quite out of the common way), and I find myself drawn to colours and patterns I would never even have considered before. It's an education. Try anything that catches your eye! Consider whether you think it works with your colouring, there are no hard and fast rules.

Generally speaking, I think it looks better when you ease other colours than black into your wardrobe a few items at a time. Wearing just a brown jacket with an all-black outfit may look a little unfinished, I try to work at least another brown or matching item into it to tie it all together. I'm wearing a dark brown skirt with black tights, shoes, cardigan, jacket, scarf and handbag today, for instance - lots of black - but I've added dark brown hair combs and a blouse in a narrow taupe and purple stripe, which matches the cool brown of the skirt. I wouldn't have worn a black blouse with it, unless I wore coloured hose, a coloured scarf or something else to offset it. This way of thinking is applicable to just about any outfit and colour.

Be aware of different textures and their level of dressiness and formality, too. You can match (safe) and mismatch (riskier, but fantastic when you make it work) textures, styles, colours, anything.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

For me at least.

Shoes: Only black shoes with dark gray, charcoal, and black suits. Black/brown shoes with light to medium gray and blue suits. Only brown shoes with any brown suit
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Nothing is as versatile as black, since it's not really a color. Well, maybe grays are. Having said that, and ignoring fashion trends which go back and forth all the time, Brown (or at least the more common shades of it) are very versatile. Sure, I agree, having light colored eyes/hair/skin might make brown a little harder to pull off, not by much as it's still very versatile, but if you know what you're doing it's all good.

I think brown is more versatile in black but only because i think that if you wear too much black you end up looking like your at a permanent funeral.
    In any case, i think dark blue is better for all skin types and can be both casual and elegant.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Black is the 'easy way out' for many style-clueless people. Brown is in fact a fabulous color! Especially if you know which shades of brown to match with the rest of your outfit to match that level of formality. Generally speaking the lighter the tone, the more casual it feels. Brown also adds an interesting contrast & even compliments colors such as blue, green & stronger shades of red. Glad to know you're venturing beyond 'black'...

Yes it can be. I would experiment with different shades of brown. Even to the point to where they start to cross into the taupe shades, not too light though. Brown can be worn with Navy Blue,French Blue, Pink, Tan, Beige, Orange,Ecru, with different hues with great success.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I think brown has versatility, but not as much as black. When I do wear brown, I often pair it with green. Of course, it can work with other shades of brown, orange, blue, pink, but in my thinking black will trump brown in most cases, when pairing with blue, pink or orange. And brown trumps black when pairing with brown or green. Just my opinions based on my wardrobe and personal tastes.

I agree that brown is extremely versatile, and there is a lot of room for experimentation with browns Thre is a huge variety of tones and tints in browns - clear browns that have a lot of red or gold in them, chocolate browns, grayed muted browns, true taupe browns that have a hint of lavender, browns so dark they're almost black, greeny-khaki browns, all kinds of medium to light browns. There is a brown for everybody, rather like blue. I have more appreciation for browns (and beige!) than I did when I was younger. True, black is easier and reliable, and I suppose there are occasions when only black will do, but in my life they're few and far between (almost never). Playing with browns is fun.

Extremely dark brown notes, almost close to black in terms of darkness can have almost the same formal and elegant effect (if worn in the shape of accessories, clothes etc.) as all-black articles

I would say brown is good except at night, black is more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Xephon23 View Post
    A friend insisted that brown is the new black and was just as versatile. Is this a totally new trend or an idea that comes and goes in fashion.

I always thought that brown could only be worn by people with dark eyes and hair. I have pale skin and light blue eyes, could I rock a brown jacket or shirt?

I love the color brown for fall. I will start to cautiously play around with brown color clothing. Any advice or warnings for a fashion noob like me?

Do you think that brown is as versatile as black?
    I would say that slate grey is more versatile. Dark but not too dark.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.