Code of Conduct

Default Maison Frnacis Kurkdjian - Lumiere Noire

Wow! I'm impressed by this. Highly original and authentic. Opens with sweet honeysuckle, cumin and rose. The dry down is smooth and reminds me of Her by NR. This stuff is seamlessly blended and the transition for top to bottom notes effortless. The wormwood/cumin combo does recall Le male and it is this spicy facet that sets it apart from Lumiere Noire pour femme. A highly passionate composition from Francis Kurkdjian and well worth the money. I bought a bottle direct from his store and it arrived in a matter of days. Will shop there again very soon.

Default Re: Maison Frnacis Kurkdjian - Lumiere Noire

Now im excited, i made the decision to try this and eventually make a purchase this week, from the notes and how everyone described it i knew i would like it, you just confirmed it for me. I CANT WAIT!

Check my top 10. I wear LNPH nearly everyday and have received far more compliments on it than anything else. It's an incredible and highly underrated creation.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

It's very sweet? or more green-spicy-floral?

Less sweet than Pour le Soir?

I am still sampling this, and very close to ordering a bottle. I can't stop from going back to the sample over and over, I just really like it a lot. Obviously, since he also created LeMale and Her by NR, it's not a big surprise to have hints of each. I just happened to throw in a sample of it when I was ordering some other samples from Luckyscent. It turns out that this one was by far my favorite.

Tested Lumiere Noire pour homme today. I'm a bit disappointed: at the moment, this reminds me a lot another fragance, Shiloh, by Hors La Monde... the same green-rose smell, only LN it's a bit more masculine, subtler and less complex, I'm afraid. I prefer the Roudnitska work, is unisexy too and more interesting.

Anyone tried both?

It's a beautiful fragrance. I wish I could wear Rose; it's always too feminine on my skin and to my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    It's a beautiful fragrance. I wish I could wear Rose; it's always too feminine on my skin and to my nose.
    Interesting comment, Neal. I'm very intolerant of anything approaching femme, and I can't even think of any other rose-centric scent that I would wear, yet I don't find a hint of femininity with LNPH. Honestly, this is holy grail stuff for me and I would strongly recommend that everybody try it at least once.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014 View Post
    Interesting comment, Neal. I'm very intolerant of anything approaching femme, and I can't even think of any other rose-centric scent that I would wear, yet I don't find a hint of femininity with LNPH. Honestly, this is holy grail stuff for me and I would strongly recommend that everybody try it at least once.
    I have a gazillion samples of it so I'll give it another go in the cooler fall weather.

How did you get a gazillion samples of it? And how about you send one of them to me so that it can hold me over until I can afford a bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by pcrisp View Post
    How did you get a gazillion samples of it?
    I'm also wondering this...

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014
    I'm very intolerant of anything approaching femme
    Me too. Some people question what makes something femme or homme but the average person knows the difference and will stereotype your scent. With Lumiere Noir, it's just a sexy masculine (maybe metro sexy) and I get great responses with it (even today in fact from a 30 yr old female).

2 words: Blind Buy.

Damn...I need to try this scent. Good thing Aedes has this.

Me too. Some people question what makes something femme or homme but the average person knows the difference and will stereotype your scent. With Lumiere Noir, it's just a sexy masculine (maybe metro sexy) and I get great responses with it (even today in fact from a 30 yr old female).
    SO glad someone finally agrees with me about the whole homme v. femme thing. I know that many of us argue that calling a fragrance masculine or feminine is mostly about marketing. Maybe it's subliminal with me, but all I know is that I've honestly never liked any fragrance that is marketed to women. I don't care about labels per se, but there's a reason why some scents just smell like they're for women.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
    2 words: Blind Buy.
    Two more words: I agree.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Three more words; was she cute?

Quote Originally Posted by neal

Three more words; was she cute?
    Well, of course! If they weren't, I probably wouldn't take notes of the compliments. haha

It's a good scent but falls short of greatness, imo. It's a bit too washed out. Sometimes that works for Kurkdjian - such as the way Narciso Rodriguez' notes blend together - but here it just obscures the points of interest.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Basenotes Institution

I like Lumiere Noire ( woman's version ) but I got a Aromatics Elixir vibe from it. And I really did want to buy it till then.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Two words twice, then three, now four more words: To arrive September sixteenth.

Recieved a few samples of this last week during a visit to Neiman Marcus, and finally giving it a full wearing today. I gotta agree with my Chicago neighbor WindyCity, this is tremendous juice. My nose has been glued to my wrist practically the whole day. Much prefer this to the new MFK Absolue por la Soir, which was way too heavy on the incense for my liking.

This is definitely going to be one of my next purchases. The more I try it, the more I want it. I'm on my second sample and it is almost gone. Great stuff!!

OK.....I liked it when was first applied. Two hours later, I liked it better. Two hours after that, I liked it better still.

I didn't tell Mrs. J. what I'd just put on and she mentioned when I walked by in the hall that what I had on was good, but she said it in a very measured way. However, 3-4 hours later when we passed by again, she literally stopped in her tracks and said ''Wow! Which one is that?" with no small amount of enthusiasm not knowing it was the same frag. Never in my day have I had a fragrance improve that much with wearing.

It's delightful.

Last edited by Descartes; 30th January 2012 at 10:02 AM.

IMHO it's overrated. First hour it's ok second hour it's gone. Neither me nor the ones around can detect it after a couple of hours. The projection is almost null. Well.......maybe it's just me...

In terms of application how many sprays and where for Lumiere Noire? and also what seasons?

This is a bit tricky as it seems quite long lasting and very transparent.

I find the Pour Femme slightly darker, but a tad too sweet for my liking.

I've owned an FB of LNpH for over a year now, and though I was really excited about it at first, I'm not feeling very much into it anymore. It has a very old-school vibe about it that you gotta really like to stay tuned - as my girlfriend remarked one day I was wearing it, it smells like something her entrepreneurial and long retired businessman granddad would wear. For rose, I far prefer Rose 31 or Paestum Rose, and for patchouli, well, there's so much good stuff around...

Quote Originally Posted by spirit966 View Post
    In terms of application how many sprays and where for Lumiere Noire? and also what seasons?

I do 4 or 5 sprays to the chestal area. When I bought it they included a sample (of the same thing !??!) in a small atomiser. I top up with a spritz or two of that at half-time. I like it year-round but favour the cooler months.

Lumiere Noire Pour Homme is one of their nicest scents IMO.

Lumiere Noire PH reminds me a bit of Kingdom, although much lighter and more transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit966 View Post

I am in the process of testing this out, and i'm trouble detecting it after 2-3 hours, seems to fade very quickly and i'm having to sniff my forearm to see if its still there, very transparent and queit after a few hours. I have just been testing this and will give it a full wearing this week. I really love the smell and want it to last so i can justify a purchase.
    Maybe i need to up the sprays of this one? I've read people say 1-2 sprays and it lasts all day on them, is it just a skin scent for everyone?

^Thought about the same when i first tried it couple times. Try to spray on abs and inner elbows next time, this is what i get better longevity on those parts instead of my neck.

The femme version is worth to try as well. It is quite similar to FM's Portrait of A Lady, minus the berries note which replaced by a narcissus note. To me, it smells quite like lychee and perhaps less moody from the overall impression.

Quote Originally Posted by CX827 View Post
    ^Thought about the same when i first tried it couple times. Try to spray on abs and inner elbows next time, this is what i get better longevity on those parts instead of my neck.

The femme version is worth to try as well. It is quite similar to FM's Portrait of A Lady, minus the berries note which replaced by a narcissus note. To me, it smells quite like lychee and perhaps less moody from the overall impression.
    I'll give this a today, when i get it LN its first true wearing. Funny thing is last night i put a spray on my right forearm just to gauge longevity, and this time i sprayed closer to the skin, i usually spray 5-8 inches away from the skin, and this spray i did much closer to the skin and i can still smell it this morning and its been 7 hours. That's a plus! I've never tried spraying in inner elbows or even dawned on me to try the abs...intersting

I've read reviews of people spraying this 1-2 tops, and for me rose frags like rose oud or lyric man our work horses that can last all day with type of application, but LM i think i need to go 3-5 sprays, but we shall see.

I give it 4 chestal sprays with a top-up at half time.

So i see this wears a bit lighter on others as well, I'm assuming a top off at halftime means you apply mid day?

I did 2 sprays to mid chest, on on each forearm and one back of neck. I'm 5 hours into my day and I can only detect it of i press my nose up against skin. I can detect a very slight musky scent. But then again I'm wearing long sleeve dress shirt with an undershirt so sprays are all hidden under layers of clothes