Code of Conduct

Default Designer vs Niche All Star Game

Besides fragrance, my other passion is basketball, so ive kinda been thinking of making this thread for a couple days as I have just been exposed to the niche world.

So in basketball, there is an all star game. 5 players from each team on the court at a time, the rest bench players. West coats vs East Coast. Im sure some of you knew this, but for people that know absolutely nothing about basketball im just making this thread make more sense.

Anyways..I want you guys to make two teams.

Team One-The five best designer fragrances in the World+three bench players

Team Two-The five best Niche Fragrance in the world+three bench players

In addition to the teams you choose, state which team you think would "win"

Default Re: Designer vs Niche All Star Game

oh btw, make sure there individual fragrances, not your top five fragrance lines

That's a tough one since we're not choosing houses, but...

Team A - Geurlain Habit Rouge, YSL M7, Le Male, L'eau D'Issey, Burberry London. Bench Players: Lalique Encre Noire, Chanel Plantium Egoiste, 1 Million

Team B - MPG Ambre Precieux, Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille or Amber Absolute, Montale Black Aoud, Amouage Dia (or anything) and Frapin Caravelle Epicee. Bench Players: MPG Parfum d'Habit, Musc Ravageur, Serge Lutens Chergui.

Niche would win of course. It would've been easier if we compared houses, as if you look at Niche houses such as Amouage, Montale, Tom Ford, Frapin, Vintage MPG, Not only they have some of the best fragrances ever made, 90% of their fragrances are good if not excellent, while you don't get that same kind of consistency with designer houses, they have to release a horrible flanker every now and then and obviously a few generic money makers.

lol@ 90% of thier fragrances are good if not excellent. If that ain't a load of crap, I don't know what is. I've sampled 5 of the niche frags you mentioned (all of the designers), and not one of them blew my mind. In fact, I didn't like TV and didn't find Ambre Precieux particularly special. And Chergui is HIGHLY overrated. To be very honest, I have been quite underwhelmed by the majority of niche fragrances I have tried. Thank you for not mentioning atrocities like Knize 10, Patou homme/Prive, Let Me Play the Lion, etc. Like I said...UNDERWHELMED by most. Throw GIT in there too if you'd like. Gimme Gucci Pour Homme 2, Hermes Ambre Narguille (designer?), Rive Gauche, Versace Dreamer, Burberry classic, etc, over any of those niches you mentioned. Now had you listed Amouage Reflection, Guerlain SDV, L'Artisan Havana Vanille, or even Tauer Lddm, then I may not have been so vocal. Those I mess with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    That's a tough one since we're not choosing houses, but...

Team A - Geurlain Habit Rouge, YSL M7, Le Male, L'eau D'Issey, Burberry London. Bench Players: Lalique Encre Noire, Chanel Plantium Egoiste, 1 Million

Team B - MPG Ambre Precieux, Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille or Amber Absolute, Montale Black Aoud, Amouage Dia (or anything) and Frapin Caravelle Epicee. Bench Players: MPG Parfum d'Habit, Musc Ravageur, Serge Lutens Chergui.

Niche would win of course. It would've been easier if we compared houses, as if you look at Niche houses such as Amouage, Montale, Tom Ford, Frapin, Vintage MPG, Not only they have some of the best fragrances ever made, 90% of their fragrances are good if not excellent, while you don't get that same kind of consistency with designer houses, they have to release a horrible flanker every now and then and obviously a few generic money makers.
    im very eager to smell this niche fragrance!

come on guys lets here more of your lineups!

Guerlain is neither, they play for designer here:

Team A: Eau d'Hermes, Mouchoir de Monsieur, Derby, Eau Sauvage and Chanel Pour Monsieur

Team B: Santal Noble, Eau des Iles, Villoresi's Uomo, Eau Lente and vintage No. 88

Players I was about to name are too good for bench. And it's a tie. Both teams acknowledge other is of equal strength and don't wish to play over-time.

Designer:
    Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme Eau Extreme
    Dior Homme Cologne
    Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Hermes Un Jardin Sur le Nil
    Mugler Cologne

Bench:
    DK Fuel
    Hermes Un Jardin Apres la Mousson
    Prada Infusion d'Homme (preferably Vetiver)

Niche:
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Le Labo Rose 31
    Creed Millesime Imperial
    Amouage Dia Man
    Frederic Malle Musc Raveguer

Bench:
    Parfum d'Empire Cuir Ottoman
    Parfumerie Generale Cuir d'Iris
    CDG Kyoto

Niche wins in a landslide.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Maybe it's not fair to class Guerlain or Chanel as designer houses any more, apart from a few older fragrances that are still at reasonable prices. Most of what Guerlain produces now would be classed as niche. And there are other designer houses that are launching niche-like lines at higher prices.

Anyway, I don't know if this is really a level playing field. Comparing designer to niche is like comparing apples and oranges. Under most circumstances, niche will win.

But wtf, I'll play:

Designer Team: Chanel
    Antaeus and pour Homme, Dior Jules, YSL M7, Guerlain Vétiver (this one isn't a niche fragrance). On the bench: Chanel Égoïste, Hermès Rocabar, Caron Yatagan.

Niche Team: Amouage Jubilation XXV and Opus II, L'Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu, Creed Bois du Portugal, Maître Parfumeur & Gantier Santal Noble. Bench players: Montale Black Aoud, Parfums de Nicolaï New York, Serge Lutens Chergui.

Overtime is dead, the ref strangled and sprawled ass-up on the floor. The contest is a draw: If you like classic, elegant masculines, the Designers win. If you go for the exotic stuff, Niche takes it. If I was a bookie, I wouldn't make odds on this game...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Dependent

I'll bite (using Mtg's format)

Designer:
    Ungaro I
    Yohji Homme
    Iquitos
    Hiris
    Pure Malt
    (preferably Pure Coffee if I can acquire it)

Bench:
    Bel Ami
    Black Orchid
    NR for Him

Niche:
    Ambre Russe
    Lyric Man
    Felanilla
    MKK
    Chergui

Bench:
    S-eX
    Cuir d'Iris
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain

I'm not huge on basketball (I know right!), but I'm familiar with the basics.

The niche have always performed better for me, it is a personal thing.
    Last edited by MFJ; 7th September 2010 at 10:34 AM.

Designer:

Bernini (Original Black Bottle)
    Worth Pour Homme Haute Concentration
    Versace L'Homme (Original Formulation)
    Chanel Egoiste Platinum
    Tsar (Original)

Niche:
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Creed Millesime Imperial
    Escentric Molecules 02
    Cuiron by Helmut Lang