Code of Conduct

Exclamation Basenotes keeps You buying?

Basenotes is on one hand a nice place to gather info regarding fragrances. On the other hand, the wording is diffuse, which is a problem of the topic in the first place. This leads to ambiguities that can be resolved. Just buy a bottle/sample!

Does BASENOTES keep You up with the hobby? Precisely keeps You buying? And, not to be forgotten, has basenotes enlarged Your spendings considerably?

Default Re: Basenotes keeps You buying?

Basenotes is my source for finding out when the newest releases are in people's hands.

In one sense I'd say it's true you do expand and spend more but what's a hobby if you refuse to dedicate something (time or money) to it? At one point, I started expanding my wardrobe very fast; spent more; sampled like crazy, and even did a few blind buys. But eventually, I reached a balance and got to a point where I have slowed down sampling and certainly buying considerably. I buy very selectively. I don't buy because something new is out and it's supposed to be the new hot thing because I'm able to say, "No, thank you. Not my thing" (I'm looking at you Marc Jacobs BANG and Bleu de Chanel!).
    I'm happy with my lifelong hobby of fragrances and only wish I could spend more on it. Oveall, I'm very grateful to Basenotes since I learned so much here. It opened new doors for me and introduced me to some of the most wonderful fragrances and houses in the industry.

Blog Entries

I would say that Basenotes raises my awareness, my knowledge of trends, and my involvement in the fragrance community - all of these things translate to a greater level of spending. But if it wasn't this, it would be something else. And, as I like to say, fragrance appreciation is a relatively harmless mid-life crisis in my age-bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Basenotes is my source for finding out when the newest releases are in people's hands.
    This.
    And it rarely results in a purchase.
    I probably test 90+ fragrances for every 1 purchase.

But to cut to the chase, yes, Basenotes does keep me buying.
    Thankfully.

I would have almost certainly never had any knowledge of Maitre, Caron, Creed, Sisley, Cereus, Kilian, Extra Vieille, Bogart PH, Hermes D'Orange Verte, or Bombay Sapphire Infusion.....without Basenotes keeping me informed (and eventually buying)

Thanks people!!!

Basenotes does definetely encourage the fragrance obsession/exploration, and when you come across something you like, naturally, you want to acquire it. So yes, it does, in a sense, keep you buying.

You must handle this with care, IMHO.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

In a way, yes. That's why I usually avoid "Today I bought..." threads...

For sure
    whenever I take a break from Basenotes, my wallet is much heavier
    although now I have wizened up from falling into massive blind buys (not to say your dumb if you do), I still get very intrigued sometimes by how much passion and love an individual can have for a fragrance only to get the complete opposite attention from me
    that's life
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Yes, I certainly do buy more perfume due to Basenotes (and other fragrance forums and blogs) because otherwise I wouldn't know what fragrances were out there.

Many of the ones I end up buying aren't available locally --so I wouldn't tend to discover them in the course of regular shopping.

Yes, it makes me spend more.

Basenotes Institution

Yes, it does encourage the spending I am afraid- for me anyway ! Ebay is worse though !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Yes, it does!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Basenotes is on one hand a nice place to gather info regarding fragrances. On the other hand, the wording is diffuse, which is a problem of the topic in the first place. This leads to ambiguities that can be resolved. Just buy a bottle/sample!

Does BASENOTES keep You up with the hobby? Precisely keeps You buying? And, not to be forgotten, has basenotes enlarged Your spendings considerably?
    Oh man, pal, you know most people actually become wiser consumers post joining BN. I'm the direct opposite. I had never blind bought until BN, and have made more blind buys in recent than when I first started out here. I'm more reckless a buyer now than before. I blame BN, but I'm absolutely not complaining. I'm happier this way. Silly, but happier.

I hardly used ebay for purchases of anything in the past. But ever since joining BN, my ebay account has been very very active.

Good thread, by the way.

For a time it sure did. Sure, I loved the immense lure of getting to smell the same thing everyone was talking about, and I purchased or went out sniffing so that I could have my own thoughts about the subject scents. That way I was part of the discussion and part of the community. How could I not like that? How could I think it made me weaker, made me a "follower," or a "lemming"? I didn't think that, I thought such exploits made me more nuanced, more wide-ranging in my knowledge and tastes, and even, surprise surprise, more happy with the things I found!

But it has tapered off for me, and I haven't been buying much for a long time, even though I post and blabber on on many threads. I've learned a lot and the learning is in more than the scents themselves. So now Basenotes doesn't really keep me buying at all.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Yes. I'm on this site since january 2009. I started with one fragrance, now I have 32. Got rid of few but this year it'll grow again...

Yup, new fragrances that interest me or peak my curiosity are what makes me wanna spend the money. If BN had their own fragrance shop on here, they would make serious bank!

Basenotes keeps me talking, keeps me interested, and keeps me sampling, but great fragrances are what make me shell out the cash for full bottles.

My answer to all the questions from your post is - yes.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Surely Basenotes doesnt MAKE us do anything, Basenotes does not have control over our spending, WE make the conscious decision to join sites like basenotes so we can learn about fragrances, its up to us to buy and sample what we want, as far as i know, Basenotes has never told me 'you must buy/sample this fragrance', the people have.

I enjoy fragrances and my spending has gotten out of hand at times, but i'll take full responsibility and i'll be accountable for the things i buy, not a website!