Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Lilac: forgotten?

En Passante is unbeatable, that's truly the most beautiful interpretation of lilac scent, the smell of lilac blooms after the rain .
    Another lilac scent, I highly appreciate, is Un Lys by Serge Lutens, as for me the lily and lilac note are both equally dominating. Wonderful powdery lilac with soft vanilla base.
    Third favorite of mine is Jardin Clos by Diptyque. Although mixed with other flowers, lilac note is pretty prominent on my skin. Soft lilac blooms along with grassy scent of broken twigs.

Definately En Passant

and I'm just waiting for it to arrive here because of the huge postage cost from France :x
    chown -R us ./base

Blog Entries

+one for Diptyque Jardin Clos! I just got mine and it is a lovely, slightly green lilac.

Bumping this old thread - its a good read for spring.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

My lilac preferences have changed, and now I actually wear lilac often.

JM White Lilac & Rhubarb ought to have been made a part of JM's regular line rather than a limited edition-- it is eminently wearable.

I also like wearing the recently discontinued Côté Bastide Lilas, a lilac with a touch of carnation, as well as the long-discontinued Mary Chess White Lilac still to be found on eBay.

Meanwhile, Highland Lilac went to a new home, my travel size of Demeter Lilac has been relegated to use as an air freshener, and my solid of Pacifica French Lilac is entirely neglected.
    Babies have begun hatching on the Estonian osprey nests.
    All 3 eggs have hatched at Irma and Joosep's nest. Live webcam: http://pontu.eenet.ee/player/kalakotkas2.html

There are now 2 babies at Mai and Mikk's nest! Live webcam: http://pontu.eenet.ee/player/kalakotkas.html
    Osprey discussion forums: http://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/viewforum.php?f=56

queen of the universe

Speaking of lilacs, CLeveland's winter was so mild they are a month early! This has been a week of experiencing the smells actual flowers—a potted Easter lily, crabapples lining the street, lilac, hyacinth, daffodils. No lily-of-the valley yet, but they grow like weeds at the side of my house, and three stems will fill a room.

As a teen, I wore some body splash that was lilac, and I detect lilac in Guerlain Champs-Elysées. It is THE smell of springtime.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Institution

Agree with 30R.: that new-ish Jo Malone White Lilac & Rhubarb is a real treat for all lilac lovers. Please do yourselves a favor and test it.

I wanna do myself a favor...the rhubarb note..that's what makes me take a step back from trying this one yet. I hope it's not a sour-y, tart rhubarb. Also wondering if the heliotrope distracts from the lilac. When I first started in scents..I thought BVL Amethyste smelled of lilac..but now I know it's heliotrope that I smelled and it's doesn't smell of lilac any more to me. It's more green smelling than lilac to me and now yes, I am sort of looking for a true lilac. I may have to give that Jo Malone a sniff sometime.

I have been so wanting a sampler of the Ineke. I had the opportunity to sniff a few not too long ago and really liked An Evening Edged in Gold. But now I want to sniff that After My Own Heart as I don't recall trying that one and if I did, I don't remember it, so I must give it a sniff soon!

Oh and I think E likes the saffron note if I recall..An Evening Edged in Gold may be a recommendation for her.

Seems like lilac was a bigger note in the 80's? I don't know. Sadly, I have noticed that note fizzling out a bit.
    Last edited by kalli; 23rd April 2012 at 11:39 AM.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

I bought the Jo Malone, which is a surprise as I expected to want the iris.

No the rhubarb is actually more like a earth/dirt smell. The lilac does take centre stage, I love heliotrope and don't really notice it in this one.
    DONNA

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

kalli,

The rhubarb is very fleeting and to be honest, I would not have recognized it as rhubarb if it were not stated to be so (unlike CDG Rhubarb, which is photorealistic.) And much as I like heliotrope, I didn't pick up the heliotrope in this one.
    Babies have begun hatching on the Estonian osprey nests.
    All 3 eggs have hatched at Irma and Joosep's nest. Live webcam: http://pontu.eenet.ee/player/kalakotkas2.html

There are now 2 babies at Mai and Mikk's nest! Live webcam: http://pontu.eenet.ee/player/kalakotkas.html
    Osprey discussion forums: http://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/viewforum.php?f=56

I bought the Jo Malone, which is a surprise as I expected to want the iris.

No the rhubarb is actually more like a earth/dirt smell. The lilac does take centre stage, I love heliotrope and don't really notice it in this one.
    DONNA

Ok I am sold..I must try it! Earth, dirt, lilac, not too much helio...sold. Need a sample!. Thanks guys!

Drat, sorry double post..I couldn't find my last post, it wasn't showing, then it appeared. Must be a few people on here as BN is running slow for me right now.

I have a vintage bottle of Avon Lilac Perfume Oil. I have been using it as a room oil on a burner. If anyone would like it, I can live without it for sure. It probably has about 14ml left in a 15ml bottle.

I tried JM WL&R recently as there was a single bottle left in Leeds. I so wanted to like it but like many JMs on me it was thin and sour. The rhubarb was very prominent on my fine dry skin and lasted into the heart. How disappointed I was

Basenotes Institution

kalli, all this time and a sniff together, and I have not got your address yet! A very kind BNer sent me the whole London Blooms collection samples -- let me know where to send it after I am through sniffing, OK?

You are so sweet Twolf! I wasn't asking for anyone to give me a sample though! I will return the favor, for sure! I know I have an Exultat sample from Maria Candida if you haven't sniffed it yet and want to, let me know.

DD, so nice of you to offer that up, hope it finds a good home.

I'm glad this thread got some action, Lilacs have been blooming early in NYC along with a recent rain. It's beautiful... must go try some of these suggestions... Jo Malone, Ineke are the ones I'm most curious about.

Blog Entries

I found Ineke to be almost invisible. It is nice for about 30 seconds-then gone. WAH!