Code of Conduct

Default Can/should i wear cologne while in Uniform? (police officer)

I started a thread but i put it in the womens forum and i guess that was a big NO NO! lol
    no replies what so ever from them lol. Anyways I work at a college as a police officer but dont wear a cop uniform, only tactical pants and a polo and the same colors every freaking day. I do stay in an office for a while but I'm also walking around the campus a lot. Should I stay away from certain fregrances while in uniform?

Default Re: Can/should i wear cologne while in Uniform? (police officer)

Are you male or female?
    Either way, wear something transparent and light. Low sillage.

I am 28 and Male VERY male LOL I'm new to all these scents I need more like names of colognes ..

I'm going to copy and paste from the other thread so you can know a little about me..

Hi everyone, I'm new here.. and I did search this to try and find some info before starting this thread.

I'm 28 and I am a College campus security officer. I've been doing this for a month now and well, there are a lot of attractive women here all ages 18+

I do catch a lot of ladies here checking me out but maybe because I'm not your tipical security officer I'm guessing. I'm 6' tall and I am a gym rat with tattoos, I have always been told i have the badboy look and have been compared to Vin Diesel a lot back when I used to have my head shaved.

ANYWAYS, my question to you is.. SHOULD/CAN I wear cologne while on duty? Yes, I'm trying to attract, make em think WOW, maybe catch their attention before they take a look at me as they walk by me. Students, Teachers, parents LOL I do work in an office but I also walk around the campus a lot... and drive a golf cart around. I do need to mention to ya'll that I look the same everyday but not your typical police uniform. tactical pants and polo shirt but pretty much always the same colors.

I love bvlgari black have been wearing it for 3 years (signiture scent) LOTS AND LOTS of compliments.. I've had women trying to steal my bottle before! Projection sucks on it though and before that I wore Bora Bora by liz claiborne and honestly, I had the same result as BB with the ladies! Except it used to fade aways within a couple of hours BUT got compliments ALL the time, malls, hospitals, you name it! OH and one more thing, I DO NOT LIKE SMELLING LIKE EVERYONE ELSE! Especially since i do work around like a 1,000 guys lol. I like to stand out.

any suggestions? thoughts? Damn I wrote a lot! bored here at work its a holiday!!!

I say wear what you like I do not think your job as a police officer at a college campus should make a difference. I bet CIA and FBI agents wear fragrances while on the job.

As people said, wear something light and inoffensive, Fresh/Aquatics are great, but as person who doesn't like them, I might also suggest Powdery and clean fragrance (Prada are great at clean scents). Now if you have the personality and confidence, then you can really wear anything that is not a silage beast. What I'm saying is, yes it's always ok if it's light and doesn't grab much attention, if you're confident, you can go one step up and get something moderate, but no matter what, for the kind of job you have, don't go too strong. But hey in some places where wearing perfumes is ok, guess it's ok to go strong. Ahhh, short answer, yes...you can.

I just hope I dont come off as trying too hard to the ladies? I guess its best not too smell like the other 1,000 guys that go to school here either lol

I don't know why, but I don't think people in uniforms should wear fragrances to work. A fragrance is a (personal) statement, just like clothes, that's why people with those professions wear uniforms in the first place. Wearing a fragrance would probably make you look more "human" and less professional. Maybe people won't take you as serious as they should.

Quote Originally Posted by irrbloss View Post
    I don't know why, but I don't think people in uniforms should wear fragrances to work. A fragrance is a (personal) statement, just like clothes, that's why people with those professions wear uniforms in the first place. Wearing a fragrance would probably make you look more "human" and less professional. Maybe people won't take you as serious as they should.
    You took the words out of my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by popo940 View Post
    I just hope I dont come off as trying too hard to the ladies? I guess its best not too smell like the other 1,000 guys that go to school here either lol
    Women like a man in uniform and if wearing your favorite fragrance makes you feel more confident then I say all the power to you. You may want to get a dark pair of shades and some gold jewellery for dramatic effect and be Alpha.lol

I'm 28 and I am a College campus security officer. ... I'm 6' tall and I am a gym rat with tattoos, I have always been told i have the badboy look and have been compared to Vin Diesel a lot back when I used to have my head shaved.
    Ever tried Tom Of Finland? I'm afraid that said women won't lose You trail either ...

In earnest, after a while in fragrance I personally would enjoy people not smelling of vetiver, sugar or musk - that includes functional frags like laundry detergent. Thank You!

Something with a casual vibe since you are on a college campus yet, not too flowery or sweet which might take away from your authority presence. Or maybe something with a leathery feel to it. My father was a P.O. for 20 years and he wore something, I vaguely remember the scent but not the name. It mixed well with the smell of shoe polish, cause his shoes were always immaculate and leather from his belt/holster. Since he was from the 50s era in his youth and worked as a P.O. through the late 60s, 70s and into the 80s it probably was something classic. I wouldn't know what it is.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Sure, nothing goes better with a Glock than Havana....LOL!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

It's just my gut, but in a public job like that, whatever you wear should be pretty neutral. I'd save the really good stuff for when off duty.

On second thought, I'd recommend Kouros, Quorum, Bijan - really any of the 80's powerhouses. This way if you cannot overpower the offender, your sillage surely will. J.K. ;')

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by irrbloss View Post
    A tattoo is already a personal statement. No one makes a big deal of it. I'd take a well-built & tattooed security officer seriously anytime over an out of shape & obviously unfit one anyday. Unless he's wearing a tutu of course. I say go for it. Nice to have a human in charge of security.

Blog Entries

If you're comfortable with Bulgari Black, I would stick with that. The projection is better than you realize - I can pick it up six feet away from a woman at work. Excellent unisex fragrance, not common, women like it, and just edgy enough to fit you. Your situation is a bit different than many cops - I imagine it's more active, blending in with crowds, and supposed to be more casual and interactive. Plus, you're a big guy and athletic, and that means odor. You need a frag.

You may want to invest in the deodorant and bath products for Bulgari Black. By using a combination of products, you can project better and with a richer combination of notes.

You're wearing a 5-start fragrance. Nothing to be ashamed of.

PS - A rubber scent is modern. Like a polymer handgun. Some people may even mistake that note for the smell of your gear, if you carry any.

absolutely should wear something .If you ride in the car with a partner, i would just make sure its not too heavy of a scent.

nice... great responses all around! So there are actually other products besides the cologne for bvlgari black?? I've never been able to find any!

So I'm guessing no Le male lol I just got Pure Malt in a couple days ago but it gets too hot here in Texas so i guess i'll only spray like 4 times? lol

I'm a police officer in NYC. When I'm in uniform, I'll stick to something clean, sporty, or barbershop. You never know where you're going to end up on any given day ... in someone's house, in a church, in court, in a crack den ... Keep it light and neutral. I'll usually rotate Mugler Cologne, Gendarme, Platinum Egoiste, Rive Gauche. I have to wear a bullet resistant vest and in NYC, it can feel like 100 degrees plus in the summers. Then you'll want something cooling and refreshing like L'eau Par Kenzo or Live Jazz. Keep the romantic stuff in the locker for the end of your shift.

i would say no, you do not want booty warrior or tossed salad man coming after you lol.

I served in the USCG. I was on a icebreaker heading for the antarctic. We were on the bridge. I'm shooting the sun with a sextant for practise. This brand new ensign, out of some midwest ROTC college launched a disparaging litany against our old fashioned insturments and how wonderfull the latest electronic aids to navigation were. He did this, grabbing a pre war Weems & Plath brass sextant from it's philipine mahogany,velvet lined box and waving it around like so much junk.
    The poor fool. My CPO, the helmsman and I all smelled BAY RUM. Chief starts humming, barely audibly the Darth Vader theme music. The bay rum sillage heralded the appearance of our skipper, standing behind the ensign. With a cough he announced his presence and retreived the sextant gifted at his academy graduation decades previous.
    The 'old man' had all electronics secured for a double watch and the ensign had to navigate us via sextant,chronometer and charts alone.
    That ensign learned very quickly to pick out bay rum from saltwater, bilge sweat, the ship's company, fuel oil, coffee and allteh other smells of a WW2 commissioned icebreaker sailing south.

YSL's Rive Gauche pour homme

Blog Entries

Kav, I love your story!

Visiting from the ladies forum here. My opinion on your security job and perfumes: keep it professional, not too loud and save the sexy perfumes for off duty time. JMO.

Wear Gendarme lol.

(French for policeman for those who didn't know)

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
    Wear Gendarme lol.

(French for policeman for those who didn't know)
    Indeed, and actually a perfect scent for him on duty.

I'm sure criminal defense attorneys would love for you to wear heavy scents on the job. Picture your police report:

"On the above date and time, R/O was on foot patrol when R/O saw three subjects standing in a closed circle between two buildings. R/O observed the subjects passing what appeared to be a lit cigarette-shaped item. Based on R/O's training and experience, R/O believed said subjects were smoking a substance containing cannabis. As R/O approached said subjects to conduct a field interview, the subjects all began to cough. When R/O came close to them, R/O saw that their eyes appeared to be turning red, bloodshot and glassy. However, when R/O advised the subjects to "freeze," one M/W 180 lbs advised "Man, that cologne is intense!" as he coughed and covered his nose. Indeed, due to the large amount of Bulgari Black that said R/O had doused himself with at the beginning of his shift, R/O could not ascertain any odor of cannabis emitting from said subjects. R/O determined that said subjects behavior and appearance was consistent with acute olfactory assault. Based on R/O's observations and growing sense of shame, the interview was terminated. Nothing further."

I say go for it. The more the better!
    Last edited by cloud atlas; 7th September 2010 at 01:54 AM.

id say just wear a fresh clean scent. Prada Amber Pour Homme, Mugler Cologne, Chanel Allure Sport Edition Blatche.

idk how people are going to feel about this, but i think Sean John I Am King would be good

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Why not. You probably already use one or more of the following: scented deodorant/antiperspirant, scented shampoo, scented bath/shower soap, scented shaving creme, scented laundry detergent, all of which are already somewhat noticeable.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Why not?!?

If I was a cop I'd wear Antaeus but just one or two sprays.

Quote Originally Posted by Kav View Post
    I served in the USCG. I was on a icebreaker heading for the antarctic. We were on the bridge. I'm shooting the sun with a sextant for practise. This brand new ensign, out of some midwest ROTC college launched a disparaging litany against our old fashioned insturments and how wonderfull the latest electronic aids to navigation were. He did this, grabbing a pre war Weems & Plath brass sextant from it's philipine mahogany,velvet lined box and waving it around like so much junk.
    The poor fool. My CPO, the helmsman and I all smelled BAY RUM. Chief starts humming, barely audibly the Darth Vader theme music. The bay rum sillage heralded the appearance of our skipper, standing behind the ensign. With a cough he announced his presence and retreived the sextant gifted at his academy graduation decades previous.
    The 'old man' had all electronics secured for a double watch and the ensign had to navigate us via sextant,chronometer and charts alone.
    That ensign learned very quickly to pick out bay rum from saltwater, bilge sweat, the ship's company, fuel oil, coffee and allteh other smells of a WW2 commissioned icebreaker sailing south.
    Fantastic story.

I agree with keeping it within the fresh/barbershop realm. Nothing too loud or radical. A "seductive" scent would be weird. I know I'd feel awkward getting busted by a man wearing Joop! or LeMale.

I'm not a cop but I wear a uniform, and I usually wear something like Silver Mountain Water or Rive Gauche to work. Aramis or Azzaro pH if I'm feeling assertive. I think a good rule of thumb would be to wear something that could be mistaken for soap or deodorant, or a recent trip to the barber. You want to come across as a well groomed man, but not a "dandy", if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Either way, wear something transparent and light. Low sillage.
    Very good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    It's just my gut, but in a public job like that, whatever you wear should be pretty neutral. I'd save the really good stuff for when off duty.
    I mean no offense to anyone who's posted after Stylin, but when he stated my thought I decided I better quote it and agree. So I haven't read any posts after Stylin's.

I agree with him. If any scent, I'd say it really must be something so neutral or so traditional that it's unremarkable except for the nod it gives to tradition and reserve. Expressed in scent, that would be Roger & Gallet's Extra Vieille, I think.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

If i had a job like that i would use himalaya or silver mountain water.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I concur with Stylin on this. In a public job, keep your grooming scents to a minimum and wear if off-duty.

As a person in uniform, you represent the organisation. At home or on your own time, go ahead and be expressive in both your clothing and your scent.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Wear 'One Man Show', it's both symbolic as well as the scent will help in subduing perpetrators with one whiff!
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Basenotes Institution

I say you should wear scent but keep it fresh and lighter. If you wear a uniform - how else can you express your individuality... ( apart from the tattoos )
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Thumbs up Re: Can/should i wear cologne while in Uniform? (police officer)

Why not ?
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I concur with Stylin on this. In a public job, keep your grooming scents to a minimum and wear if off-duty.

As a person in uniform, you represent the organisation. At home or on your own time, go ahead and be expressive in both your clothing and your scent.
    I need to add to this. Scent is a strong way of communicating and often occurs on a subconscious level. I don't think many can discount this. How would you perceive a female colleague (police officer) wearing tons of sugary perfume, or a deep spicy oriental?

Law enforcement is a job in which many different variables (many dangerous) present themselves each day. It's not like a business office or a customer service desk. A 'perfumed guy" might be taken for many things--from "elegantly-groomed gentleman" to "prissy fop." You cannot afford to project but ONE image: enforcing the law and your toughness to do the job without hesitation. This must be your only message, not how elegant and groomed you are.

Would you wear a sillage-monster powerhouse to a court appearance? Certainly not. Likewise, do not wear strong scent in uniform. I would recommend just the *very* lightest of scents.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

Great story, Kav. LOL.

I agree a high sillage frag bomb is definitely a no-no when you're on duty. And I understand the rationale behind keeping it neutral while on duty. But how exactly neutral is a tattoo? Esp. if it is on a prominently visible part of the body. Should OP apply some concealer on them too just to keep things strictly 'neutral'?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Great story, Kav. LOL.

I agree a high sillage frag bomb is definitely a no-no when you're on duty. And I understand the rationale behind keeping it neutral while on duty. But how exactly neutral is a tattoo? Esp. if it is on a prominently visible part of the body. Should OP apply some concealer on them too just to keep things strictly 'neutral'?
    ANY tattoo is a statement. In light of their permanence and the pain that goes with them, there are all kinds of associations. They make a very strong statement, regardless of the statement.

Happily, unlike with tattoos, one can change fragrances from day to day, or wash off entirely.

Banned

Why shouldn't you wear perfume?
    Considering your job, I suggest "Bandit".
    Jokes aside, though, wear what makes you comfortable. Perhaps something a bit "macho" - on the light side?

I also agree with Gendarme (also no pun intended). You may want a clean, fresh scent that's also a bit disarming-- and this one has that effect on people.

I also suggest Bulgari Pour Homme for the same reason.

John Varvatos Vintage is a good one if you want to smell like authority. I once had a female boss who was breaking my balls. I had been wearing more unisex, easygoing scents up til then. I decided to start wearing Vintage everyday to see if I could assert a kind of male dominance over her. It seemed to work. She stopped being combative and became flirtatious. Even let me pick her up and carry her around at work. I've mentioned it before. It was strange but it worked.

If you like the rubber in BLACk I would suggest the IMO even better and highly uncommon Black Jeans by versace.
    Discontinoued yet still available on ebay for cheap it's one heck of a dark, tar and rubber scent.
    Smellin good

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    i would say no, you do not want booty warrior or tossed salad man coming after you lol.
    Boondocks much lol!?
    My Youtube Review Channel: www.youtube.com/cutlasssupremesl

I would say no, but from how you describe your specific job, it "seems" like it's somewhat casual (i.e. working on a campus, riding a golf cart, etc.). Because of this, I say that if your job PERMITS you to wear a fragrance, then do so, but keep it very light. The last thing you want is to be handcuffing someone, and smelling heavily of Rochas Man. Other than that, I agree with many here that if you have a public service job, (i.e. Doctor, Police Officer, Etc.) it's probably better not to wear anything.

Quote Originally Posted by CutlassSupremeSL View Post
    Boondocks much lol!?
    hey cutlass whats up? its beefdog on youtube, hope you liked my creed email lol i know how much you love creed.

.....Should I stay away from certain fregrances while in uniform?
    Do what feels good.

I did get 5ml of musc ravegeur last Friday.. not sure what it smells like cause I haven't tried it out.. not sure how many sprays and if I should wait till late october.. I live in texas and its HOT here.

Basenotes Institution

I did get 5ml of musc ravegeur last Friday.. not sure what it smells like cause I haven't tried it out.. not sure how many sprays and if I should wait till late october.. I live in texas and its HOT here.
    Well that's a sexy scent ! Maybe you could try one or two sprays at work to see how that goes ??
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.