Code of Conduct

Default Newbie needs help finding a skin scent

Hi guys, I am really interested in finding a skin scent. Im kinda stuck between the idea of something that smells like skin and something that smells like a child or children's skin. I want to wear the fragrance as everyday scent. So longevitity is important.

After reading many reviews and descriptions, I really like the idea of Ava Luxe Milk, Dawn Spencer Hurwistz Au Lait and Thierry Mugler Le Parfum Virgin No.1(I know this is not an option). What would you guys suggest?

Default Re: Newbie needs help finding a skin scent

Maybe it's just me but I find this inquiry disturbing.

Well, I didnt mean for it to sound perverse or disturbing. I just want a scent that doesnt smell too strong, but sweet. Also I want something that smells somewhat natural and not so perfumey. I recently swtich from anti perspirants to crystal deodorants. The crystal deo kills the funk but doesnt stop me from smell like nothing. I now smell human versus like a stick of deodorant. I dont even wear perfume. I have absolutely no idea what individual notes smell like. I guess my thought were since little kids smell relatively nice why not try smelling like them. I was only going by what I have read from reviews. What I got from reviews is the following:

Ava Luxe Milk-mily and sweet. I think milk smells okay. Milk doesnt smell too stong and it doesnt hurt my nose
    Dawn Spencer Hurwistz Au Lait-milky and natural. From what others have said it sound like a your scent but better type thing
    Thierry Mugler Le Parfum Virgin No.1- youth and plums. From the descriptions I got pleasant smelling body odor.

Im 22 and female. I just want to smell young. Not like a young person wearing cheap fruity perfume. I want to smell like the essence of a young person. If you were to smell me (like give me a hug) I would smell youthful without you knowing why I smell that way. It would be like a subliminal thought.

From

Another crystal user here (out of necessity right now). Skip the fruity and aquatic stuff and go for something with musk in the base and then apply lightly.....that should give you the scent you're looking for. The fragrance directory will let you search by notes.
    Last edited by gmmcnair; 10th September 2010 at 10:56 PM. Reason: I clicked too soon.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

I keep finding my interpretation of scents totally different from that of the perfume world. For example, when I think of animalistic type smells I think of fur( Like the smell of horses' or cats' fur). You guys think of what I've read as "skanky", fecal and bad BO scents. Maybe this is why my question came across strange and creepy.

Anything light and powdery is good. I honestly don't remember any weak powdery fragrances, since I don't like my fragrances light. But if you really want something that light and natural just get j&j baby powder. I think fruits and passion had a decent light baby powder scent called "bebe".

Gmmcnair, Im using the crystal deo out of necessity also. It works really well, surprising.

Ekove, I was hoping something thats different from johnson&johnson or straight baby powder, but still conveys youth.

Quote Originally Posted by dany06 View Post
    Gmmcnair, Im using the crystal deo out of necessity also. It works really well, surprising.

Ekove, I was hoping something thats different from johnson&johnson or straight baby powder, but still conveys youth.
    Then sample the various powdery top sellers available. Burbery Brit, Armani Code...etc.

You might want to try Soivohle Transcendental Musc. She sells small sizes, but I don't know how cost effective shipping would be for you in UAE. You're probably on the right track with Ava Luxe Milk as well. I like a lot of AL scents, but I haven't tried that one.

You might also want to try Serge Lutens Clair du Musc. I'll go further and recommend that you try Etro Heliotrope, which is technically a floral, but leaves a nice, powdery, creamy scent on the skin.

Also just remembered Kenzo Winter Flowers, one of my favorites, a musky powdery floral, but not too sweet.

Try Burberry Brit Sheer. Or Musti by Mustella. Mustella is a baby skincare line. Musti is the fragrance. I remember it as light, clean, and comforting. It's not a baby powder smell. (It's meant to be worn by Mom's and babies.)

I will definitely check out all of thesr recommendations. They all sound like something I may potentially want.

Kärleksparfym thanks for helping me realize that I have the wrong home nation displayed.

Chaplain does the Mustela Musti Eau de Soin smell like the Mustela lotions? I ask because Im immune to the scent of the lotions. I've read that the lotions and bath products smell really good. So I pick up a bottle just for that reason. Well, I tried it and I smelled nothing. I truly mean nothing at all. I even smelled a bottle belonging to my boyfriend's baby sister.

[QUOTEChaplain does the Mustela Musti Eau de Soin smell like the Mustela lotions? I ask because Im immune to the scent of the lotions. I've read that the lotions and bath products smell really good. So I pick up a bottle just for that reason. Well, I tried it and I smelled nothing. I truly mean nothing at all. I even smelled a bottle belonging to my boyfriend's baby sister.[/QUOTE]

To my recollection it is a different scent. So it's definitely worth a try for you. I know that the Babies R Us around here carries it. I think Sephora does too. So those are two places you might be able to sample it.

Sorry...not sure why the quote bubble didn't work up there. Hmmm...

Blog Entries

Try Genarme's fragrance for women. Carriere. I didn't check the spelling.

Tarheel Golfer you might be on to something. I really didnt have intentions of finding a fragrance that's "clean", but this does sound like something I would also want. The Genarme samples are only 99 cents which is great. On top of that someone mentioned in a review that one of Garnarme fragrances smells like a stronger and longer lasting Mustela Musti Eau de Soin. The shipping is a bit high, but I will get a sample of each.

Kärleksparfym know that I think about it, Soivohle Transcendental Musc really looks interesting. I onced tried D&C Light blue years ago and have been forever afraid of aquatic type scents ever since. I truly need to give them another try.

Im really happy you guys are suggesting fragrances that are affordable especially if I choose to get a full bottle. Im also happy that my friend just paid me back my 40 buck. So I guess I'll be buying some samples soon.

Cahplain, I honestly live in the middle of nowhere. The nearest Sephora is 2 hrs away and the nearest Babies R Us is 4 hours away. So I cant really check at those places. What is relatively close is an Ulta. I once worked at Babies R Us and they never carried the baby cologne when I was there.

Cahplain, I honestly live in the middle of nowhere. The nearest Sephora is 2 hrs away and the nearest Babies R Us is 4 hours away. So I cant really check at those places. What is relatively close is an Ulta. I once worked at Babies R Us and they never carried the baby cologne when I was there.
    Hey, I used to live in the middle of nowhere, too. I know how it is. You can always get samples of pretty much anything you want from the ladies at The Perfumed Court. (Not sure if anyone's told you about them yet or not. Very reliable and trustworthy.)

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Genarme samples. My brother seemed interested in these also. So what I potentially dont want, I can give to him to try.

I've been doing a bit more research. When I read things about Ava Luxe perfume people keep mentioning that she uses musk in most of her scent. That seems to be especially true about the ones that I want. Also, people start bring up things like Jovan musk. I knew I've seen those bottle before, but have never smelled them. Some say that they smell soapy and clean. That those are fragrances that you wear on the weekend and dont have to think too much about. Since Im still not sure what musk smells like, I'll give those a try. Luckily, those a pretty cheap and I can find easily.

I have read that a few of the favorite drugstore musks are Jovan musk for women, jovan white musk, coty vanilla musk, coty wild musk, Alyssa Ashley musk, and parfums de coeur skin musk. Which of these would be good to try out first? Which of these have the lightest scent and/or soapy? Also which last the longest on the skin? Although these will be easy to purchase they arent so readily available. I still have to travel a distance away to get them, but Im going that way today anyway for something else. All that is local is Body fantasies Vanilla which truly stinks in my opinion.I might be able to find skin musk since its made by parfums de coeur, but I havent ever noticed it.

Oh, while on the Coty (which owns Jovan) website, something strange happened. Im the type of person who keeps millions of tabs open. So when I moved on from the Coty website it was still playing music. The music isnt that bad so I left it on. After about 10 mintues it blurted out the word "brainwash". It was the exact same voice from the brainwashing stuff on the movie Josie and the Pussy Cats. That was a little creepy yet funny.

Jovan musk soapy/musky? not really, it's like a must with a lot of alcohol and a barber shop vibe.

For a soapy scent:

Narciso Rodriguez Essence
    L'Artisan Mure et Musc
    Anything by Prada, and probably the most affordable choice (they're like $40)

The fragrance you are looking for is Wicken 3000 by Six Scents (otherwise known as Six Scents Series 1, Number 2). It's a very ethereal scent that smells like fluffy air. It doesn't smell like a scent, per se, it smells like a combination of the purest freshest air you've ever smelled and your own skin, and even has a hint of salt as it dries down (which suggests the slightest hint of clean sweat that has dried).

I love this on myself but love it even more on my girlfriend. It's the ultimate minimalistic 'there but not there' scent - and does exactly what you want.. it works on an almost subliminal level. Further, it lasts all day, and projects quite well.

There's more info to be found at Luckyscent - http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/item/44902/No.2.html

However, if you do decide to order I'd go through RonRobinson.com, as it's currently 50% off there. I got my bottle from them quickly and without problems.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

So those drugstore musks dont smell that soft? Are they similar in any way Ekove? I just want to stiff and see what its like. I always imagined musk smelling like Elizabeth Taylors White Diamonds. That is why I never tried it.

Sculptureofsoul that does sound really nice. Im going to have to check that out too.

Nah most drugstore musks are quite sharp to my nose.

Sculptureofsoul that does sound really nice. Im going to have to check that out too.
    It behaves like some white musks but is much more translucent and soft (as Ekove says, many white musks are sharp or 'tinny'). It smells more like an airy, crystalline combination of lily of the valley, rose, and air/ozone, along with the aforementioned traces of salt.

It's a very odd scent - far more minimalistic than anything I've smelled, and yet it's not boring because of the way it interacts with your body. I find many other soft skin scents to be ultimately unfulfilling because they are just flat/soft/gently sweet. This is soft but yet has a crystal clarity to it. It's almost like smelling space, as if you could smell a vacuum, as if you could smell the space between the particles rather than the particles themselves. Very odd and interesting.

While it doesn't smell like skin, it seems to carry the scent of your own skin along with it. Also, somehow, I find it rather sexy/seductive in an innocent way.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

That fragrance sounds quite interesting Sculptureofsoul, the notes though suggest it's an aquatic, which is a category I dearly dislike. Would you say it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    That fragrance sounds quite interesting Sculptureofsoul, the notes though suggest it's an aquatic, which is a category I dearly dislike. Would you say it is?
    No, I wouldn't say it's an aquatic - at least not in the sense that the term aquatic is typically used. It does suggest water, but not in a melony way, not in the same salty way that Erolfa does, nor at all like Bulgari Aqua. It's so very clear and minimalist.. I keep using the word crystalline but it is apt.

There is the impression of water in the first hour or two, but it's not chlorinated pool water nor salty sea water. It's mostly in the texture which feels wet at first, but again in that clear/ethereal way. As it develops further the scent itself doesn't change much but the texture becomes airier and fluffier - no longer wet but not dry - as the term is usually used regarding scents - either. It's hard to explain as there are almost no discernable notes whatsoever. Like I said (and I see in others' reviews at Luckyscent) it's so minimalistic that it's really like nothing else. It has less supporting notes (or at least less discernable notes) than even a "basic" scent like Jovan's White Musk for Women, which is far more powdery/thick/dense/opaque and floral.

So no, it's not aquatic as you are thinking. It's more like a white musk that is done without any traditional white musk notes. It is soft and yet soaring. Clear and vibrant, natural smelling (although surely nearly 100% synthetic) and very long lasting. When my girlfriend first smelled it on me - a few hours into the drydown - she said "Wow, you smell just like fresh air! What are you wearing? It's really nice." She made that comment not knowing anything about the scent prior, so I guess others really do pick it up as a very pure/fresh air kind of scent with a blind sniff.

You can read another review of it by esteemed reviewer Octavian over at 1000 Fragrances here: http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...grances-2.html
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Well, i couldn't resist and went to the local Freds and tried out Body Fantasies White musk, skin musk cologne spray and body spray. Oh yeah, i've smelled this scent before. It reminds me of my teachers in elementary school. The scent is a bit strong and i only tried on a little. Out of the bunch the skin musk smells better. The body fantasies is strong and really sweet or maybe florally. I can understand how some people like to use this as a base to layer over. So im guessing that Jovan stuff isnt any better, right?

Sculptureofsoul you make Wicken 3000 sounds really good especially after smelling theses drugstore musks. Do you think that Wicken 3000 is similar to Soivohle Transcendental Musc? They both have been described as a different type of musk with hints of salt.

Okay its official, I dont like the smell of these musks. Its making me feel sick and my nose feels like it is burning. Now Im afraid to try out Ava Luxe's range.

Soivohle's Transcendental musc does sure sound similar but I have no idea if it actually is as I can't seem to find a review of it anywhere!

There is musk present in Wicken 3000 but it's not the typical white musk. As Octavian noted in his review, it's primarily comprised of some kind of airy/ozonic floral synthetic. I do recommend sampling first though as I know at least one base noter didn't like this, and although most of the reviews have been positive, as always, your mileage may vary.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I have a quick question for you guys. How do you get rid of a scent you dont like off of your skin? I've tried washing and almost scrubbing the musk fragrance off of my wrists. I cant hold my phone to my face at this moment. They reek of that skin musk scent. It isnt as bad as when I first put it on, but it wont go away.

unless you want to use some crazy chemicals (laundry soap), just wait...it happens.

Le Labo Ambrette 9 might be worth a try.

It has faded into almost non existence, but it now smells nice. Yippy I dont feel like I have to throw up anymore. Im also regaining my since of smell back. For a while, it seemed as though that was all I could smell and everything else had no scent.

ChickenFreak I was totally going to buy it two years ago (not just sample), until I saw reviews. I first saw it in a magazine article while waiting at the dentist. Maybe, I shouldnt totally rely on reviews. Those who have reviewed it complained that it barely had a scent. I didnt think my nose would pick up on those faint notes and it would have been a waste.

Sometimes I just wish there was an easier way to have access to these fragrances besides waiting for them to come in the mail. Like in the past I wanted to try all those baby colognes from l'occtane, jacadi, kaloo and baby lotion from noodle and boo. Either they dont have many reviews or people say they smell good with out explaining why. For example, Kiss my face deodorant has a scent in patchouli. Everyone says it smells great, but dont say why or what it smells like. I was going to order it until I sampled patchouli the other day. Im glad Im not wearing that in my pits.

I just need to get use to sampling stuff. Im starting all over ( not that I really ever made any progress in the past). I keep finding that Im more sensitive to stuff now days.I will mention that about 4 years ago (highschool), I really couldnt smell anything. Up until the last 2 years have i gained any sense of smell. Its a whole new world. I find that I dont like a lot of stuff. I dont even really know what that stuff is though. Besides coconut which Im not sure about anymore and fruity escada summer editions, I have no clue what I like either.

Well, keep bringing on the suggestions. I want to try all my options.

Hi, Dany06!

Lots of good suggestions made here, but may I suggest you also post this topic in the Female Fragrance Discussion forum? I think you'll get some fresh ideas from the sweet-smellin' ladies who read and post there. :-)