Code of Conduct

Question HELP: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Hey guys! I need your noses! I believe that M7 has two formulations (old & new). The old version is with the bottle all 4 sides maroon in color. The new formulation is one side maroon like stained glass design and the other three sides are clear. I have smelled the new version (Thanks Matt) and I really love it!

Which one is better? How do they differ?

Thank you in advance!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Default Re: HELP: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I believe that the smell itself is quite similar,
    but the vintage one has much better sillage
    and longevity ... no?!

Hey Duc, I've smelled the older version a loooooooooooong time ago so I don't really remember anymore. There is no way I can smell the old version because it is not available here in this country. I can only get it online but I am just curious what you guys think of the two. Don't know which version to get.

I have both of them. They're the same to my nose.

pretty much the same the older version might be a little stronger, just a tiny bit, I wouldn't worry it's hardly noticeable.

Hmmmm??!?!? Thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    I have both of them. They're the same to my nose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    pretty much the same the older version might be a little stronger, just a tiny bit, I wouldn't worry it's hardly noticeable.

I disagree.
    The older version is amplified many times over compared to the watery newer formulation.
    Get the vintage, while you can.

I've only tried the new version and fell in love. Longevity and projection are great. Some ppl say that the older version was much deeper and thicker and that the new one is more citrusy in the first blow. The drydown is supposedly completely the same, in the older version, drydown came very fast - in the new one it takes around one hour.

Note: some ppl told me so, I myself cannot claim all this because I've never tried vintage M7.

Hey guys! I was able to get a sample of the vintage formula. I believe that the vintage formula is more intense than the new formulation. The vintage formula smells more medicinal, I guess that's the oud. The new formula has a stronger cherry smell. The vintage is more interesting. I'll get a vintage M7!!!! I hope I can find one.
    Last edited by volley2; 6th September 2010 at 09:57 AM.

I thought they smelt the same, just the new formulation lasts 3 hours while the vintage lasts all day.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

They are definitely different. The older is stronger, especially in an ingredient that does not really agree with me. I bought and gave away 2-3 bottles of the older one, because while i liked M7 a lot, i just couldn't bear it for more than a few hours. I bought the new version and was able to love and enjoy M7 all day long.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I disagree.
    The older version is amplified many times over compared to the watery newer formulation.
    Get the vintage, while you can.
    I agree with gupts, the older version is amplified, and more complex. Whilte the newer formulation mantains the structure, it`s smells cheaper, with a strange, plastic note at the opening, that screams CHEAP to you. Loreal did what they done the best, destroyed another classic.

This is pretty strange. I got a decant of the vintage and loved it; very deep and has a nice medicinal Oud note I love.

I recently bought a gift pack that has a 100ml solid amber bottle (supposedly the vintage) but it seems to be a little less intense and lacks some of the depth and Oud-ness the decant had..

Is it common for gift packs to have an inferior quality perfume in them?

I got into an argument with another basenoter about this . ITs like this , the new one is good but its more commercial , way less oud , hence its waaay weaker . I first ordered M7 of ebay , it turned out to be the new one , when I has specifically told them I wanted the old. I bought original 2 testers at ridiculous price , there is NO comparison , in terms of lasting power and sillage. Old M7 is a wild beast, the new one is a domesticated farm animal.

Ahh, time to stock up vintage M7! it has a nicer bottle at least.

Valkriz: you know, from my experience, gift packs do usually have inferior quality, but until now I keep thinking it's a coincidence. Keep in mind I got very very few gift packs, but I've noticed that in 2 or 3 of them, that's about half.

Get the vintage formula while you can!

It does not really matter for a great fragrance like this, either one should be good !!

Evoke; thank you I was starting to think I was going crazy! I knew there was a difference in my vintage decant and the new gift pack bottle. It just seems almost watered down; almost like how people are describing the more clear bottle low silage and just less complexity.

Anyone know if the testers being sold online are all the old style? Seems like they wouldn't make new testers for the re-formula as there not really marketing M7 anymore..

Quote Originally Posted by valkriz View Post
    This is pretty strange. I got a decant of the vintage and loved it; very deep and has a nice medicinal Oud note I love.

I recently bought a gift pack that has a 100ml solid amber bottle (supposedly the vintage) but it seems to be a little less intense and lacks some of the depth and Oud-ness the decant had..

Is it common for gift packs to have an inferior quality perfume in them?
    My second M7 bottle came from a gift set, and I didn't note any difference between it and the old one that I had. Although i noticed that my old m7 in the end was more concentrated than it used to be. So maybe your decant was from an old bottle where the aroma started to concentrate too.