Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Parfum d'Habit

  1. #1
    Basteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Casterly Rock and Roll
    Posts
    1,932

    Default Parfum d'Habit

    Hi everyone.
    I have never smelled before Parfume d´habit but after reading all your reviews I am most intrigued by it....
    (With my very best Vito Corleone impersonation)
    "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in"
    Is it something remotely similar to Polo Classic (green) with more class and better ingredients?
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Parfum d'Habit

    PdH is hard to describe. I suggest you look at this in the archives.

    The top notes are harsh and many will stop at this point. Some say it smells like "old socks."

    I like the sandalwood and leather in the drydown. This is not a floral scent at all!

    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121256.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  3. #3
    AromiErotici
    Guest

    Default Re: Parfum d'Habit

    Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    Hi everyone.
    I have never smelled before Parfume d´habit but after reading all your reviews I am most intrigued by it....
    (With my very best Vito Corleone impersonation)
    "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in"
    Is it something remotely similar to Polo Classic (green) with more class and better ingredients?
    Absolutely nothing like Polo. Where Polo is sharp, d"Habit is brutal. It simply has to be smelled.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Parfum d'Habit

    Parfum d' Habit is green foresty aspect along with dark rich sandalwood and black currant note. The effect is the smell of old wool blanket or heavy wool coat that has been out on a camping trip in the woods. It is a memorable fragrance.

    It is not very much like Polo Classic as it doesn't have patchouli and is really built around the sandalwood. But they both have a green wood opening - but thats where it ends in similarity.

  5. #5
    Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,267

    Default Re: Parfum d'Habit

    Indeed this is an interesting fragrance to test. If you read the reviews you may realize how this frag splits the camp in two: one says it is strong & aggressive but the other says it is classy with remarkable restraint. I belong to the latter. But guess what? Both camps are probably right, depending on your application methods. But do go sample it; I'm not about to throw in anymore spoilers for you.

  6. #6
    Basenotes Plus

    JaimeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    5,406
    Blog Entries
    140

    Default Re: Parfum d'Habit

    Maître Parfumeur & Gantier Parfum d'Habit (1998) Leather Oriental
    ------------------
    Top Notes: Blackcurrant Buds, Bergamot, Petitgrain •Middle Notes: Leather, Geranium, Patchouli, Incense •Base Notes: Sandalwood, Ambergris, Vanilla
    ------------------


    That's the skinny on the pyramid. Whereas most leather scents are imposed on a chypre accord, this one is basically an oriental with leather overlaid on it. It is a little "heady" at first (I wouldn't say "harsh"). The closest this comes to any floral note is the geranium in the heart, but that's effectively pulled away from any floral associations by the leather, patchouli, and incense context it's given here. The base is a classic oriental accord. While the top is the usual citrus, there is the addition of a little blackcurrant bud note for a more exotic fruity impression. You really need to like a more formal (and slightly quirky) leather fragrance to appreciate Parfum d'Habit. The French name, by the way, suggests wearing it with evening clothes — you know, the black tie outfit — studs, cufflinks, satin facings, cummerbund, and all. (Definitely possible, but not really required!)
    Yr good bud,

    JaimeB

    "Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

    My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

    Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

    Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

    Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

    Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

    —Seneca

  7. #7
    Basteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Casterly Rock and Roll
    Posts
    1,932

    Default Re: Parfum d'Habit

    thank you guys... I really have to try it. Is there anything in the market, more common, that could give me hint of what dHabit is about?
    Is there any Yatagan hidding in there? The picture that I get in my mind is a mixture between Polo classic, Yatagan, Chanel PM and Silver water mountain = very interesting.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

  8. #8

    Thumbs up Re: Parfum d'Habit

    The most beautiful blend of vetiver, patchouli and sandalwood
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

  9. #9
    Basteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Casterly Rock and Roll
    Posts
    1,932

    Default Re: Parfum d'Habit

    seems there is no mention to vetiver in its piramid .. I just wish it had though. Patchouli, vetiver, leather and ambergris? sounds extremely appealing.
    Does it have the richness and warmth of Lorenzo Villoresi uomo?
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

  10. #10

    Thumbs up Re: Parfum d'Habit

    Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    seems there is no mention to vetiver in its piramid .. I just wish it had though. Patchouli, vetiver, leather and ambergris? sounds extremely appealing.
    Does it have the richness and warmth of Lorenzo Villoresi uomo?
    IMO they are not similar.PARFUM D'HABIT on my me is a very dry perfume and i am talking about the original version.The drydown ( for me the most important ) is vetiver, patchouli and sandalwood.It has a fantastic projection and lasts forever.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

  11. #11

    Default Re: Parfum d'Habit

    Like all MPG's, PdH is earthy, in terms of colours I would say green and brown are dominant. It seems to my nose at least, that PdH is in a sense the essence of what the idea of MPG is about. Patchouli vetiver and sandlewood. Other MPG's share these same foundations but expand on it by shifting the central focal point towards for instance tobacco (eau des illes) , Iris (iris bleu gris) or citrus (racine). I've always thought of PdH as this essence of MPG elevated to the best it can possibly be. PdH to me is very dignified, statesman like BUT make no mistake, you have to appreciate the MPG housenote combo of patchouly and vetiver to enjoy this one. In that sense i feel it is nothing like the much more playful and youthful Villoresi Uomo. PdH is not a sporty, luxurious or happy scent, i find it quite serious if not austere, and for that reason incredibly beautifiul.
    I take a bottle of wine and I go drink it among the flowers.
    We are always three ... counting my shadow and my friend the shimmering moon
    Happily the moon knows nothing of drinking, and my shadow is never thirsty
    When I sing, the moon listens to me in silence. When I dance, my shadow dances too.
    After all festivities the guests must depart. This sadness I do not know.
    When I go home, the moon goes with me and my shadow follows me

    Li Po - II bc

  12. #12

    Thumbs up Re: Parfum d'Habit

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
    Like all MPG's, PdH is earthy, in terms of colours I would say green and brown are dominant. It seems to my nose at least, that PdH is in a sense the essence of what the idea of MPG is about. Patchouli vetiver and sandlewood. Other MPG's share these same foundations but expand on it by shifting the central focal point towards for instance tobacco (eau des illes) , Iris (iris bleu gris) or citrus (racine). I've always thought of PdH as this essence of MPG elevated to the best it can possibly be. PdH to me is very dignified, statesman like BUT make no mistake, you have to appreciate the MPG housenote combo of patchouly and vetiver to enjoy this one. In that sense i feel it is nothing like the much more playful and youthful Villoresi Uomo. PdH is not a sporty, luxurious or happy scent, i find it quite serious if not austere, and for that reason incredibly beautifiul.
    Absolutely
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

  13. #13
    AromiErotici
    Guest

    Default Re: Parfum d'Habit

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Parfum d' Habit is green foresty aspect along with dark rich sandalwood and black currant note. The effect is the smell of old wool blanket or heavy wool coat that has been out on a camping trip in the woods. It is a memorable fragrance.

    It is not very much like Polo Classic as it doesn't have patchouli and is really built around the sandalwood. But they both have a green wood opening - but thats where it ends in similarity.
    Well put Buzz. It really does smell like a damp, wool blanket that's been outdoors for quite awhile. Longevity is admirable.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Parfum d'Habit

    The love heaped upon this fragrance amazes me since this is one scent that I will forever avoid.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Parfum d'Habit

    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Maître Parfumeur & Gantier Parfum d'Habit (1998) Leather Oriental
    ------------------
    Top Notes: Blackcurrant Buds, Bergamot, Petitgrain •Middle Notes: Leather, Geranium, Patchouli, Incense •Base Notes: Sandalwood, Ambergris, Vanilla
    ------------------


    That's the skinny on the pyramid. Whereas most leather scents are imposed on a chypre accord, this one is basically an oriental with leather overlaid on it. It is a little "heady" at first (I wouldn't say "harsh"). The closest this comes to any floral note is the geranium in the heart, but that's effectively pulled away from any floral associations by the leather, patchouli, and incense context it's given here. The base is a classic oriental accord. While the top is the usual citrus, there is the addition of a little blackcurrant bud note for a more exotic fruity impression. You really need to like a more formal (and slightly quirky) leather fragrance to appreciate Parfum d'Habit. The French name, by the way, suggests wearing it with evening clothes — you know, the black tie outfit — studs, cufflinks, satin facings, cummerbund, and all. (Definitely possible, but not really required!)
    I agree, Jaime, that this is a refined scent. The top note experience is a bit harsh, as Aromi observed, but the scent settles into an elegance that is unique. I enjoy the leather in this a great deal.

    Black tie, yes, and white tie and tails, too! Yes! Wing collars, white decollete waistcoats, silk scarf and opera pumps!

    Now this makes me yearn to try Arsene Lupin!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  16. #16
    AromiErotici
    Guest

    Default Re: Parfum d'Habit

    Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    The love heaped upon this fragrance amazes me since this is one scent that I will forever avoid.
    I understand gerb. The opening is other-wordly ....and it's a tad on the brutal side.

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I agree, Jaime, that this is a refined scent. The top note experience is a bit harsh, as Aromi observed, but the scent settles into an elegance that is unique. I enjoy the leather in this a great deal.

    Black tie, yes, and white tie and tails, too! Yes! Wing collars, white decollete waistcoats, silk scarf and opera pumps!

    Now this makes me yearn to try Arsene Lupin!
    I do enjoy the drydown of the vintage. That is what I wait for. The reformulation has piqued my interest after reading opinions of it being a smoother rendition.

  17. #17
    Basteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Casterly Rock and Roll
    Posts
    1,932

    Default Re: Parfum d'Habit

    The leather note is it sublet or rather opulent? How much role plays the ambergris? Is it as obvious as in Creed fragrances ?
    Seems to me a better name for it could be "contradiction".
    Thanks gents for your valuable input as
    dHabit
    just made it to my top 3 wish list.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Parfum d'Habit

    This is not quite the beast as some people make it out to be. I will admit that it goes on a bit strong, as you get blasted with all the notes at once. This is not a terribly complex fragrance, so therefore it seems to me that I can pick up on all the notes contained in this fragrance all at once, and would give the appearance of being a brute. After this calms down a bit, and the notes sort themselves out a bit, you are left with a fragrance that Skip's a true opening, and goes right into the heart, which leaves you with a most beautiful blend of patchouli,vetiver and a lovely sandalwood accord. The drydown is refined, with leather, and sandalwood carried over from the heart. I'm referring to the original formulation of this fragrance, as I have not yet smelled the newer version. Just a view from the cheap seats.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Similar Threads

  1. MPG - Parfum d'Habit, tell me more
    By SculptureOfSoul in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 9th August 2009, 01:49 AM
  2. Parfum d'Habit
    By baron in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 14th June 2005, 05:45 PM
  3. Parfum d'Habit
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •