Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How to not give away info about your secret fragrances?

Everyone has their own signature and secret fragrances. I think sharing on Basenotes is great, but when it comes to people asking me what I wear after giving some compliments (both men and women). I don't want to share it and end up having everyone in the office wearing the same scents.

Not so secret anymore . So the question is how to politely and tactfully not giving away your secret weapons?

Default Re: How to not give away info about your secret fragrances?

"Some french name I don't even know how to pronounce, I got it as a gift" Heheh

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Forget politeness, when asked, you simply reply; 'none of your business, biatch!'

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Forget politeness, when asked, you simply reply; 'none of your business, biatch!'
    Would you say that to your date lol

Something tells me Le Grand would actually haha

Blog Entries

I like the first response......."Can't recall...........don't know how to pronounce it......"

If you're talking about your "signature" scent and it is truly special to you, then heck, mislead them. Name something that might come close. When they notice a difference just say it's body chemistry!

Tell them it's Secretions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffa View Post
    Would you say that to your date lol
    Quote Originally Posted by philmcphe View Post
    Something tells me Le Grand would actually haha
    LOL! I've been known to say much worse to a date, believe you me! Muhahaha!

Tell them it's true your farts don't stink.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

If it's someone you know, just tell them you don't share your secrets, or it's not their business. A stranger, mislead them to something close, who cares.

When I first bought Aqua Di.G my male friend loved it but I just couldn't tell him because we go to social events often in the same group. Last time my friends visited I found him sniffing around in my bathroom and closet trying to find it lol.

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Tell them it's true your farts don't stink.

Best answer

DeepSilence

Sometimes your source is more important. In my city just one store is that he has most of the famous fragrances(except niche).
    but a few persons know him. about 80% of his fragrances are exclusive just for him

Tell them it's Amouage something. The price alone will most probably scare them away.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

If it is just a colleague or casual aquaintance I wd probably just lie about it. Watching the blank look and glazed eyes when I mention 'Serge Lutens' or 'Histoires de Parfums' is not as fun as it used to be.

Basenotes Plus

I have never felt the need to be evasive. I usually elaborate perfectly openly if anyone is interested enough to throw a compliment my way.

I'd go with the "something French, I'm not sure how to pronounce it" or "it was a gift". But if in response they truly sound disappointed and REALLY want to know, I'd have to tell them. My conscious wouldn't let me do otherwise.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    A stranger, mislead them to something close, who cares.
    Like sending someone in the complete opposite direction
    of their actual destination, when asked on the street!

What?! I don't do that ...

I'm so rarely asked I'd be happy to tell someone. Most of the stuff I like is so obscure someone would usually have to go out of their way to obtain it, and if they did... I'd want to know that person.

Like sending someone in the complete opposite direction
    of their actual destination, when asked on the street!

What?! I don't do that ...
    I'm guilty of doing that a few times not with strangers necessarily, but a few people that I find rather unpleasant.

Tell them it's the latest deodorant from Axe/Lynx.

I usually tell people that 'I just had a shower not long ago. Thanks anyway.'
    Last edited by scensation; 8th September 2010 at 07:34 AM.

I'm guilty of doing that a few times
    ... me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I'm so rarely asked I'd be happy to tell someone. Most of the stuff I like is so obscure someone would usually have to go out of their way to obtain it, and if they did... I'd want to know that person.
    Agreed! And most people are only going to see if Sephora carries it.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    I have never felt the need to be evasive. I usually elaborate perfectly openly if anyone is interested enough to throw a compliment my way.
    Exactly.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Agree, Picking where you got your bottle of perfume from as the thing you decide not to be honest about is a little childish, thats how i got started in fragrances, by asking someone what they was wearing, luckily they were nice enough to tell me, thank God it wasn't someone from basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by jlouismi View Post
    Agree, Picking where you got your bottle of perfume from as the thing you decide not to be honest about is a little childish, thats how i got started in fragrances, by asking someone what they was wearing, luckily they were nice enough to tell me, thank God it wasn't someone from basenotes!
    Heh, guess you haven't gotten someone you know to ask you, buy your favorite fragrance, over spray it like there's no tomorrow, and make every person that you both know get sick of that particular perfume, including you.

„Oh, that was a gift. You like it? It’s from Puredistance ... but i haven’t seen it anywhere, yet.

fountain

i've never done that yet but making up pretentious names will surely prevent people from demanding more information. you can also say, you cannot reveal the name of your frag because it was a very special gift from a famous designer who's only going to launch it in two years' time. just joking

Heh, guess you haven't gotten someone you know to ask you, buy your favorite fragrance, over spray it like there's no tomorrow, and make every person that you both know get sick of that particular perfume, including you.
    The odds of that happening to me are extremely slim....

I have ALWAYS told people what I'm really wearing. Never felt the need to keep my scent esoteric. I don't understand this signature notion at all. Be true and be sincere. You won't lose your specialness.

Nobody never, ask me what I`m wearing.. Only once, a women asked me what that "manly" fragrance I was wearing was. When I told Her it was Eau d`Italie Bois d`Ombrie, Her face was like..

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffa View Post
    I don't want to share it and end up having everyone in the office wearing the same scents.
    May the day come when all the people in my office wear nice fragrance, even if it's the same for all!

I very seldom discuss fragrances outside of the Bn community, so If I'm ever asked that question I usually say It's on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know. ( What a di*k huh! ) Ask me If I give a Rat's ass.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

In truth I always tell too, but I change scents every day and most of them are harder for folks to find. I'm in no danger of having my delight in a scent stolen away from me, so I'll happily have a conversation even about the scent and where it might be gotten.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I have a small problem since one of my best friends is also into this "fragrance hobby".
    After he tested LdDM from my sample, he want crazy and fell in love, wanted to buy it immediately.
    I told him, if he does that, the fun for me is over with LdDM, if we would both wear the same I probably wouldn't buy it anymore. If someone else asks me what I'm wearing, you can bet your *ss that I am going to lie.

It's not fair to me that people who don't spend all this time searching and testing fragrances just kind of "steal" something special you have found.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    If it is just a colleague or casual aquaintance I wd probably just lie about it. Watching the blank look and glazed eyes when I mention 'Serge Lutens' or 'Histoires de Parfums' is not as fun as it used to be.
    Diamond, I feel the same. Simply saying "Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier" will get the most blank looks! I, too, rarely get asked about my scents so I usu. tell the truth. I also change my scents almost daily.

I don't care about a signature scent, so I don't jealously guard my "signature" fragrance.

A good observation on where most people will look for the scent: a a major retailer.

I concur with Suga all the way!
    Last edited by Primrose; 8th September 2010 at 01:56 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I would come up with explanations like: it's been discontinued, so it's too costly and strenuous to look up the internet (particularly some unreliable sellers from Ebay for it), it may be acceptable on me, but not suitable for anyone's skin type, besides it's not very fashionable, due to not being a Britney or a Paris Hilton-celebuscent

If anyone would inquire about my fragrance (something which never happens) I would be delighted and I would tell them everything they want to know.
    "Everyone has their secret fragrances"?? Umm, no.
    Jan Pieter

I don't care so much if people copy me, but I would hate if they thought _I_ was copying them. That's my biggest reason for never giving up my "holy grail". It's almost the same feeling as when someone taking credit for your work... I've spent a lot of money, time and dedication to find that special fragrance, so I'll protect it with my life...

LOL! A famous dandy was once asked about the cut of his exquisite tailored coats and who his tailor was.

He laughed (in his normal fashion) and replied to the effect of, "Sure, I go to the tailors of such-and-such in Bond Street and tell the fellow that he can even use my patterns!"

I don't understand a signature scent, to be truthful, but I guess we all have different attitudes toward scent and grooming. Women get this way about their clothing, and the ultimate faux pas is to show up at a wedding or social event in the same dress.

Happily, I am such a fashion maverick that no one will be wearing either my scent OR my clothes!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

"It's discontinued (long time ago)"
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    I have ALWAYS told people what I'm really wearing. Never felt the need to keep my scent esoteric. I don't understand this signature notion at all. Be true and be sincere. You won't lose your specialness.
    I always do this. The simple fact is, with most people, unless they are really and truly WoWed by your scent, the odds are they won't pursue. Especially if it's a pricey scent. While many of us don't blanch at some of the niche prices, a lot of people are floored.

Also, unless you're wearing something with a highly recognizable name that is readily available at Sephora or a department store, they won't pursue it. If you say "L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme" with a minimum of effort put into the French pronunciation, most people in American will just give you a blank stare and nod.

The only scent anyone has ever asked me to write down is Domenico Caraceni 1913. Good luck asking about thay one in Macys. LOL

I introduced my best friend to Gucci Pour Homme 2, which is my favorite fragrance. I even bought it for him, per his request, and he reimbursed me for it. I don't have a problem with us wearing the same fragrance. Now if we were going out together, I may not want us both wearing it, but I have a big enough wardrobe that allows me to choose another fragrance.

I do not have a signature scent so I do not have the need to "protect" it. I am actually enjoy it when people ask about my fragrance and I like to share information with them too. It's the pleasure of giving. I guess. Maybe it's only me. LOL

I have absolutely no problem telling anyone what I am wearing at any given time.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I will tell anyone who asks, but no one asks!

Sniffa, if you really want to deflect the question, a humorous, bantering reply might be best. They'll get the point without being offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    This. I may be conceited, but I have faith in my ability to make people associate my most worn fragrances with me rather than someone wearing it because they liked it on me - to wear it better, if you like.

(Good God, I am so full of myself.)

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Tell them it's Secretions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange.
    That is absolutely priceless. First, the price that should stop them. If they read the different accords that should do it. If a women asks me, I say "its my little secret" If a guy asks me Ill usually tell him. His face will usually go blank and he'll say nice and walk away.

I get asked on a daily basis at work what my favourite is. I'll tell them "but we don't sell it here." Then spray Dior Homme for them hah

It’s quite amazing how many of you are willing to lie. Shame on you!
    Personally, I always lie. However, as a very moral person , I don’t usually tell the people a name of some other scent. I just tell them “To be honest, I don’t know the name… I found it in the desk of my grand father, who passed away a few years ago. It’s something very old. I didn’t even find any etiquette on the bottle. Some perfumer probably did it just for him”. The story, per se, is stupid enough to find its place behind some scent, nowadays.
    By the way, I have noticed that, whenever I lie, I start the sentence with "To be honest" or "To be perfectly frank"...
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Quote Originally Posted by peevish_yolk View Post
    By the way, I have noticed that, whenever I lie, I start the sentence with "To be honest" or "To be perfectly frank"...
    Love it! That should be your new signature.

A true basenoter should always share. So, I tell them 'Dior Homme Intense' and 'good luck finding it!'
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

I have been waiting to use this one for a while. Feel free to steal it

[on a date, hitting on a girl at a bar, or similar situation]

Pretty girl: What is that delightful fragrance you are wearing?

Scooter: Sorry, its my policy to never tell. If you are nice, maybe I'll show it to you on my dresser later in the evening.

heh heh heh...

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by le grand duc View Post
    forget politeness, when asked, you simply reply; 'none of your business, biatch!'
    b i a t c h ! !

Back on topic, I've been complimented a few times in my life, but seldom am asked what I wear. Most recently someone asked what I wore because it smelled great according to him (I agree). When I said "Silver Mountain Water", he giggled and asked if I was kidding. Come to think of it, the name can sound a little too fantasy-like(?), like it came out of a Children's story book.

Anyway, I usually share what I wear with whoever asks. The only times I don't are when I have no idea how to pronounce their names, in which cases I'm usually honest and tell them I have no idea how to, and will write the names down for them if they wanted.

Oh yeah another ocassion that made another person giggle was when I offered to let her try Muscs Koublai Khan. She just couldn't get past laughing at the name. I suspect it might have ruined the experience. A little too "funky" sounding? Perhaps! Plus, MKK can smell like a prank. Times like these, I usually wished I didn't have to say the names out.

Last edited by MFJ; 9th September 2010 at 06:31 PM.

"a lady never tells...and neither do i"
    -- the laugh keeps them from digging deeper

Yes, I'm like a perfume ambassador to the cosmos, and I reveal names when asked. However, b/c the names are unusual/long/ hard to pronounce, people tend to ask many times and then just give up:"Oh, it's that smoky one I like!"

Long ago , my signature fragrance was Scherrer 2. Wasn't sold anywhere in the US (as far as I could tell) except a specialty shop here and there, and a brief stint at Sephora. People asked , people jotted it down--but it is not a name that people easily remembered.

And now? I switch ti around a lot, but tend to wear brands my friends. family do not know (Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle, Parfums de Nicolai, Inneke, DSH, etc)--or again, there are odd names that non-perfumistas don't tend to remember: Chergui? Andy Warhol Silver Factory? 1826?

I have noticed the convention for people trying to keep it secret seems to this:

Me: Mmmm. What are you wearing?
    Fragrant person: Thank you! Hmmm. What did I out on? Oh, [fill in generic house name: Dior, YSL, Chanel....]

I get the message!
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Double post--sorry!
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

1+ indeed.
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

simply look them straight in the eye and say "I'm not wearing any it's my natural scent" and try to keep a straight face

Le Duc's reply is the best
    Happiness is a summer breeze, sand between your toes, and your family by your side.