Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default noob needs help getting started in creation.

hi, i wish to create! what are some ways to go? so far ive found profumo, that i plan on buying the animal tinctures from and, a kit from bio-byte to learn scents and how to start out making perfume. someone that went from no clue, to making something they like/love should deff. chime in! ive got real ambergris coming from nz(chunks in 5 diff colors/scents, tincture and pure oil). my current scent is andron by jovan and i want to make something simular but with more cedar and clove. thanks for looking, jason

Default Re: noob needs help getting started in creation.

Jason, Welcome to Basenotes! There's no quick paint-by-numbers or assemble-a-kit path to perfume making. Google is your friend, so look up information and read it. There's a huge amount of good information out there if you search. If books are your thing, buy a good book on perfumery. Sample everything you can get your hands on and learn what is being done by others. Join in the discussions in the DIY section here. Don't be afraid to experiment. And when getting started, deep pockets help immensely.
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

Post Thanks / Like

ok i got my raw and tincture of ambergris and oil that was just completed and not on thier site yet. ive never used this accronym but OMFG this is some amazing smelling stuff! its earth, leather, marine, and gets to you on an emotional level! i cannot stop smelling it! even my dogs are crazy for it.
    im still waiting on my kit and online courses. ive got something called oud that was very expensive and a ton of oils on the way. wont be long till ive got something very special to wear!

Post Thanks / Like

http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/
    not sure if that helps or not...
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by GLTASN View Post
    ok i got my raw and tincture of ambergris and oil that was just completed and not on thier site yet. ive never used this accronym but OMFG this is some amazing smelling stuff! its earth, leather, marine, and gets to you on an emotional level! i cannot stop smelling it! even my dogs are crazy for it.
    im still waiting on my kit and online courses. ive got something called oud that was very expensive and a ton of oils on the way. wont be long till ive got something very special to wear!
    That's the ambergris you've got from Porfumo you're describing? I've been thinking about ordering some for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

no not porfumo. it came from, Ambergris NZ Ltd, Website: http://www.ambergris.co.nz ,Email: info@ambergris.co.nz. ask for Adrienne Beuse. im a very satisfied customer and will promote them whenever i can!

i emailed the guy from porfumo asking about him making me a bespoke scent to inspire confidence in my customers(im a jeweler). he said he didnt do that sort of thing so now im on my own. im kinda glad he gave me the brush-off, i guess he didnt take me seriously. i did however buy some sample scents from there as well as the animal scent kit with civet,ambergris,beaver,ect... wich im very excited to smell!
    heres a pic of my collection. a 10.5 full rounded chunk of silver/gold, 1 gram each of sweet black, white, marine grey, and a piece off the very famous chunk that is on every website that explaines ambergris. its a very fragrant chunk and is legendary in the market. also 2, .5grams vials of oil(very thick and fragrant), and some 6% silver tincture(thier finest @ 250.00 for 10ml).

the perfumers apprentice's website is a nightmare to navigate and they lost my buisness because of how difficult it was for me to find a kit there. might try thier ambergris(only 3 places make it i could find) tincture someday but i feel i have the best allready!

im just an average joe with no exp. but, i will learn and use only the finest when it comes to me.

Hey, thanks for the detailed reply. I've been excited to try real Ambergris for a while. I can not be of much help for you, while there are quite a few guides/websites/communities out there, I wasn't satisfied with any myself. They're either too basic (do this, then this, then that, and you're good to go). Or very unorganized. Of course nothing hurts in trying those basic guides to train your nose, but they won't get you very far. The art of perfumery is quite secretive as far as I know, unless you can join one of the major schools. Starting on your own won't hurt, using quality ingredients alone is enough for you to make something good, even if not very unique.

As for your purchase, which one are you referring to as the "legendary" Ambergris? also, that website does not offer oils, it's sister website however seems to offer "tincture", is that the same thing? And I can request smaller quantities?

And by the way, of course, check the DIY forums, for some info and such. I know there are entire forums/websites dedicated to perfume making, but all the ones I've found were quite, umm, pathetic if I may say. Mostly people trying to mimic things like pink sugar, or try-hard to have their own unique creations. If you find a good one let me know.

Anyhow, I'm actually really appreciating your interest in making perfumes, you're going for high quality stuff from the start. I'll keep an eye on you and if you ever need a lab mouse I'll be more than happy to help.

Post Thanks / Like

i got the tictures from the sister site and the oil isnt listed yet. its very new and i got the first sample from what it sounds like. it will sell for approx 150-200 per gram when she gets it listed. she let me place one order for both types of product but, it came in 2 packages as one was the raw samples from thier site and, the ticture and oil from the sister site. heres a link to the famous piece i was reffering to, its at the bottom and has a few of pics avail. http://www.ambergristincture.com/all-products.php

Ok, final question, which one would you recommend of all of them for layering with other perfumes, specifically creamy/powdery perfumes, with the typical Amber/Musk/Vanilla try down? or which one is your favorite? White/Gold seems quite attractive.

Post Thanks / Like

Im not even a novice but since you asked, ill give my opinion based off the raw abmergris. its smell fills the jars withing minutes and not like i could tell them in the dark but they all have a slightly diff smell. i havent smelled all the tinctures, just silver. i get a strong, manly, tobacco, cigar, earth,ocean, salty wind, from the drop i put on a cigarette paper. i cant stop smelling it its so unusaul, my nose has been having a very good day. the white is the softest of the lot and without triing the white/gold tincture. im sure you coulnt go wrong with but to be profesional i would have to have you email them. they take a day to get back but send out very informative emails and have about the best customer service ive ever had online. infact i just got an answer from Adrienne Beuse about poking holes in my jars, and she said yes, let it breath. i was hoping she'd say that.

Post Thanks / Like

i got my online course started. came with a base of 26 scents. so far its been alot of do's and donts, basic info, involved info and smelling. ive taken all the 26 scents and 24 of myself picked eo's,absolutes,tintures,ect.... and spent the day with smelling strips. i entered each strip in my logbook. i listed off what i detected like: scents,colors powder,dry,ect... untill i was repeating them over again then i moved to the next scent. i also got an order from agarscents bazaar. i now have pure oud oil and, also the musk sampler. i have to mention that the natural musks are awsome! there is nothing that smells this good to me so far. the oud oil is very regal and complex, also unforgetable! my 3 unexpected surprises were, wild australian sandlewood,douglas fir, and neroli. never tried them before and love all 3 and ylang ylang was also very nice. ive got some more supplys,eo's,bottles, and perfumers alcohol on the way but, still no animal scents from profumo. they're in the mail so im watch the postbox eagerly!
    "Strive for perfection in everything, take the best that exists and make it better, if it doesn't exist create it, accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Royce

Awesome, keep us updated I've been looking into agarscents myself but it's a little pricy, especially when I happen to go to the middle east every summer. I'm not sure where agarscents lies when it comes to oud quality, because it's priced for the western market and not the middle eastern market.

Post Thanks / Like

i bought a vial of some good(not thier best) oud, hindi moattag with a 1 gram chip of hindi assam black agarwood. for such a tiny piece of wood it has an incredible fragrance. i wish i could afford more than a gram as its pure heaven! the oud is a robust fragrance, so complex!, sweet, naughty,rich, lucious, its is something so special and good by itself that as soon as i smelled it i was hooked and was looking to buy more! i bought some bakhoor sultan chips and they were ok, the omani bakhoor is growing on me. im still a novice but i have sampled 4 of his musks, the musk gazzele animalic ,the pure indian red musk,kashmiri musk and the black kasthuri. if you buy musk from him, try the black musk kasthuri, its freakin amazing! ive never smelled real musk and cant imagine anything in nature smelling so sensual. they even thru in some free samples of scents(not enough to use but great to smell) and a nice little, java agarwood chip. hopefully i can get a refund on the ambergris perfume that leaked but, its not the sellers fault(packed well), prob air pressure from flight, alaska woohoo. i am a new lifelong fan of oud, it will deff be in any perfume i make for myself! pardon me while i keep sniffing....
    "Strive for perfection in everything, take the best that exists and make it better, if it doesn't exist create it, accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Royce

Post Thanks / Like

the guys ar agar scents really took care of me. they get alot of bad press here but i like thier products and believe them authentic. if they are not then they still smell amazing and will get praise from me. they replaced the spilled perfume with a vial of musk grain that i struggled with buying in the first place.

there are a few things that the more exp of you reading this might be able to help me with. id like to find a chart(cheat sheet) that lists which scents are mixers,fixers,bases and, modifiers. id also like to find a refference as to wich scents should be diluted and if they do, do i use jojoba oil or alcohol.
    i admit ive blended a few scents to gether but i dont like wasting supplys. i know alot comes from experimenting but id like to not make alot of beginer mistakes. for example when mixing some precious woods i added some clove and now its the only scent discernable in my mix and, ive wasted some precious drops of oud oil in it. please help out a noob!